11tw

Death Cooldown (this is going to be really unpopular...)

My suggestion, in short, is to make it so that when you die, there is a VERY long cooldown timer. This timer would have to be over and hour for full effect (my personal suggestion is 12 hours, but this is up for debate).

The pros go as follows:

-makes ghosting completely impossible

-makes death meaningful, so people will act more realistically when threatened

-will make kill on sight less common and 'your gear or your life' more common (because people will believe that the people who they have robbed won't attack them out of fear of a long wait before respawning. Therefore this means that some bandits won't bother wasting a bullet on you.)

-will eliminate deathmatching in all vanilla or 'traditional' servers (my suggestion is only implement this on ordinary servers, not ones with titles like: 'deathmatch!!! last man standing!!!'

and finally:

-makes every choice count

That last one is just the whole point of survival games.

Now you might be thinking: 'but that is so unfair!', and that is why I like it. This game is a lesson in suffering, and when you see that 1 hour (or twelve...) wait when you die, you will truly experience suffering.

To be honest, a 12 hour wait wouldn't be as bad as you think, as believe it or not, I have other things I could be getting on with (play something else, read a book, sleep, go to the store, watch tv...)

As a sidenote, this could be reduced to a minute in servers which are already bloodbaths. I don't mind if people ghost or respawn to fight the same people, as I avoid those servers.

Edited by 11tw
  • Like 2

I think this might be a bit much.

I wouldn't mind a cooldown for the specific server that you died on though. The idea of people running back to their bodies when they die irks me a little.

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind a cooldown for the specific server that you died on though. The idea of people running back to their bodies when they die irks me a little.

+1

You shouldn't be spawning in immediately to get back to your body or to get back into a fight. There needs to be consequences apart from loss of some gear. It would also prevent many new spawns from throwing themselves off towers and bridges to spawn somewhere else. Want to play immediately, okay, find a different server, seems fair. Don't like that, shouldn't have got killed, go find something else to do.

• Like 4

Why suggest something when you don't mind the problem beeing continued on "bloodbath servers" in the end? Either pull it through or don't. The sugestion is bad because some people are too "stupid" to play, they are already punished with their own stupidity so you don't ahve to punish them more. A cooldown for the server you play on is ok to fake permadeath.

i see where your coming from with this one. I can promise you that they won't put a cooldown like that on the public servers, the backlash would be massive and with fair reason, alot of people playing are pretty casual and thats fair enough.

However I think a very severe cooldown penalty would be great for a serious private hive RP server. i'm already a nervous wreck in this game as it is and if there was a cooldown like that i would have to keep my phone next to me ready to ask for an ambulance to come and put my heart back in after its exploded out of my chest....

You shouldn't be spawning in immediately to get back to your body or to get back into a fight. There needs to be consequences apart from loss of some gear. It would also prevent many new spawns from throwing themselves off towers and bridges to spawn somewhere else. Want to play immediately, okay, find a different server, seems fair. Don't like that, shouldn't have got killed, go find something else to do.

Exactly what I was thinking! beans.

Why suggest something when you don't mind the problem beeing continued on "bloodbath servers" in the end? Either pull it through or don't. The sugestion is bad because some people are too "stupid" to play, they are already punished with their own stupidity so you don't ahve to punish them more. A cooldown for the server you play on is ok to fake permadeath.

nope. They need to be punished. And I need to be punished. We all have to be punished when we die. Otherwise the game is pointless. The whole point is suffering. If you think you are such a baddass that it won't affect you, then great!

However for people who are actually telling the truth, sometimes death is pretty hard to avoid. Sometimes you get killed on sight. Sometimes a zombie attacks you and runs into the house you hide and it runs in through a wall while you are bandaging and you are bleeding again and you pull out your axe and... you're dead. It happens, and it is always your fault when it does (except when it isn't - alpha) so we should punish death to make it important.

And it has to cover all servers. Because if you can just pop on down to another server, meet up with your buddy, and regear then it doesn't really matter that you died. A one hour minimum cooldown would teach us all a lot of lessons about the game, as negative reinforcement has been proven to be the best teacher.

As for allowing it to continue on ''bloodbath servers'', should I really care what those idiots do? If they are having fun, then fine. It has no effect on me. They have funded the game's development, so give them all of the helicopters and cars and machine guns they want, as long as they can't transfer them to my 'grown-up' server for people who know what dayz is...

Edited by 11tw
  • Like 1

Yeah, if I get shot 2 minutes after I freshspawned I want to be prevented to play for the next 12 hours! Yeah!

Nah, I want to respawn as quick as possible and be able to play for real. I like the idea but you'll have to find something for that.
I'd rather see a public poll open for this & let it only come to HC servers. The idea is good though.

• Like 1

folks with cash to burn would just have multiple accounts to use for one. and 12 hours to an hour this game would die bro real fast. I think KOS would increase as well as griefing nothing like ruining a guys day literally,trolls feed on that stuff man it would invite every douche bag in the world into this game just to hear folks rant in disgust. lone wolves would be non-existant and as for populated servers ha most people loot on empties the way it is let alone this. I know you want folks to work together and want a authentic type of zed apocalypse maybe like walking dead but its not going to happen folks like to kill everything that moves that what humans do and as of right now what else is there to do besides walk around for hours looking for some useless new item that's probably broken or to shoot some fuck in the caps and watch him suffer. goodluck with your suggestion hope the flames don't get to hot.
Edited by gannon46
  • Like 2

I think the current death timer is too short but 12 hours are way too long. People want to play the game and they want to play it with their friends and when they got time. However death should be a major setback you can't shrug off easily. Right now freshspawns or mugged people have nothing to lose and often choose (potential) death as result. A longer death timer would actually make it favorable to sneak past those highly geared players instead of charging them with your fists up.

I think the timer is best when you pick the maximum time most people are "okay" with - and add another 10%.

• Like 1

To be honest I think this is a horrible idea. Bandits will troll even more than usual, this actually endorses kill on sight. Lets see what badnits think: I kill a guy, he does not come back, I get all the gear, I kill another guy and same thing happens. This makes people want to troll and kill others just to piss them of no just for their gear. Many times I have been a fresh spawn with 0 gear and aman just shot me for no aperant reaon and I heard another story were somone was shot and had no gear and then he asked why and the shooter replied "for fun". But now the answer would be "for trolling". It would probably be better to just keep it the same.

• Like 1

To be honest I think this is a horrible idea. Bandits will troll even more than usual, this actually endorses kill on sight. Lets see what badnits think: I kill a guy, he does not come back, I get all the gear, I kill another guy and same thing happens. This makes people want to troll and kill others just to piss them of no just for their gear. Many times I have been a fresh spawn with 0 gear and aman just shot me for no aperant reaon and I heard another story were somone was shot and had no gear and then he asked why and the shooter replied "for fun". But now the answer would be "for trolling". It would probably be better to just keep it the same.

hey you got it now if only these other cats can grasp how trolls/griefers work they would understand a death timer would just make the game even more a KOS/clan shit storm.

So reminder - it's a game, not real life!
I can understand the intention you have, but I do not think you will this achieve.
You would probably rather sell all "casual gamers".

- According to your proposal, you punish rather the victim and not the shooter. :(

I think that in this setting, less players are willing to take the risk of contact. Therefore, by the risk,  there will be more players who prefer "Shoot first - talk later"  to protect themself.

Moreover - correct me if this is now different - you can't even loot yourself. I have tried in version 42 or 43 and that didn't work, last times. Only if someone else is handling things and places on the floor.

(translated with google)

As others have said it would just have the opposite effect to what you think it'll achieve. KoS would be greatly increased by this; why hold a guy up when you can gun him down and know he won't be back for 1 - 12 hours? Means one less person on the server so you can loot freely. Groups that wipe out another group would be left with no competition plus if you're playing with a friend and he dies...you've now got 12 hours to wait till you can play again or do you just keep server hopping each time somebody dies?

It just wouldn't work sadly.

If you could link the cool down time to progression in the game that would work.

Make your total playtime with this character slowly add to the time then a small chunk of time for each zombie or player kill on top of that. This would stop somebody dying in 2 minutes and being locked out for ages, but make people value their lives even more as time goes on.

I made a suggestion for the DAYZ MOD over a year ago now about the possibility of a private hive 'gamemode' where each player gets only one life and runs in a periodic fashion, also with the twist of no loot respawn: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/122242-a-challenge-gamemode/?hl=gamemode

I think it would work well it SA as well.

Edited by NobleBrutus
  • Like 2

Why try to add more things when the DEVS have enough work to do on fixing the shoddy foundation.  Stop giving them more ideas hahah they cant focus enough how it is!!

My suggestion, in short, is to make it so that when you die, there is a VERY long cooldown timer. This timer would have to be over and hour for full effect (my personal suggestion is 12 hours, but this is up for debate).

The pros go as follows:

-makes ghosting completely impossible

-makes death meaningful, so people will act more realistically when threatened

-will make kill on sight less common and 'your gear or your life' more common (because people will believe that the people who they have robbed won't attack them out of fear of a long wait before respawning. Therefore this means that some bandits won't bother wasting a bullet on you.)

-will eliminate deathmatching in all vanilla or 'traditional' servers (my suggestion is only implement this on ordinary servers, not ones with titles like: 'deathmatch!!! last man standing!!!'

and finally:

-makes every choice count

That last one is just the whole point of survival games.

Now you might be thinking: 'but that is so unfair!', and that is why I like it. This game is a lesson in suffering, and when you see that 1 hour (or twelve...) wait when you die, you will truly experience suffering.

To be honest, a 12 hour wait wouldn't be as bad as you think, as believe it or not, I have other things I could be getting on with (play something else, read a book, sleep, go to the store, watch tv...)

As a sidenote, this could be reduced to a minute in servers which are already bloodbaths. I don't mind if people ghost or respawn to fight the same people, as I avoid those servers.

This would give hackers and kos cod kiddies an even bigger hardon, knowing that you payed for a game just to be killed by a hacker/cod kiddie and having to wait 2 hours to play

If you could link the cool down time to progression in the game that would work.

Make your total playtime with this character slowly add to the time then a small chunk of time for each zombie or player kill on top of that. This would stop somebody dying in 2 minutes and being locked out for ages, but make people value their lives even more as time goes on.

I made a suggestion for the DAYZ MOD over a year ago now about the possibility of a private hive 'gamemode' where each player gets only one life and runs in a periodic fashion, also with the twist of no loot respawn: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/122242-a-challenge-gamemode/?hl=gamemode

I think it would work well it SA as well.

i played on a dayz mod server a year ago everyone on the server became very close we became a solid community we had hardly any struggles except the occasional ai bandit ambush but the admin made it to where items only spawned once per reset and that was every six hours and I loved it, we used to get a convoy and go from town to town looting them surprisingly tires and glass were more valuable than gold. I see your point have these beans.

[...] a 12 hour wait wouldn't be as bad as you think, as believe it or not, I have other things I could be getting on with (play something else, read a book, sleep, go to the store, watch tv...)

Wouldn't be as bad as I think just because YOU have other shit to get on with? Good on ya mate, but when I sit down to play some DayZ it's because I've got nothing else to do and being 1 hit sniped in the back meaning I have to wait half a day before I can play again? No.

It's not the worst idea, but I think 30 mins to an hour would be a more rational wait time, enough time for a break and to think about where it all went wrong.

You underestimate trolls. You think a bandit sniper is going to stop shooting bambis from 500m away cos he's scared they'll long-range punch him? No.

Then that bambi will wait 12 freaking hours, FINALLY log back in, respawn and play for 3 minutes, get sniped and have to wait another 12 hours. How absolutely over the top.

-I'd perhaps like to see a timer like this implemented, based on the survival time of the character, maybe like 2 mins per hour the dead character survived so that a bambi would respawn almost instantly, but when the well geared bandit sniper laying in the hills for dayz on end is finally taken down, he might have to wait an hour or two. (eg. 24 hours in-game survival time would equate to just under an hour wait for respawn)

^just noticed most of what I said was already covered.. somehow didn't see any of the replies when I opened the thread lol I thought I was first in. Sorry about that.

Edited by zeeabo

12 hours ?

I'd go berserk if I had to wait one hour to spawn. Seriously with how much I hate waiting 12 hours of waiting would make me lose it. 

As for other things to do. That's where you got it backwards. People play games when they don't have something else to do. 

-I'd perhaps like to see a timer like this implemented, based on the survival time of the character, maybe like 2 mins per hour the dead character survived so that a bambi would respawn almost instantly, but when the well geared bandit sniper laying in the hills for dayz on end is finally taken down, he might have to wait an hour or two.

Great idea I'm on the same character now for two months and counting. So what happens when I die ? A week without day Z ?
Edited by General Zod

Great idea I'm on the same character now for two months and counting. So what happens when I die ? A week without day Z ?

A week off is probably for the best if you've spent 1440 actual in-game hours on that character. It's not quite the achievement you may think, it's actually incredibly sad and I feel horrible for you.

On the other hand, if you spent 4 hours playing every single day without missing one for 2 full months it would add up to an 8 hour respawn. I don't think that's too crazy considering the original suggestion was 12 hours for everyone no matter what.

-stops well geared players running back to body on death

-doesn't punish bambis that are murdered on the coast

-incentive to survive instead of deathmatch once you are fully geared

-avoids trolls killing newspawns just for the lulz of making them wait out the spawn time again. (bambis will always be killed, but  situation would be intentionally amplified by trolls, and game breaking if bandits knew they could kick someone from the entire game for a matter of hours with a single bullet).

-experienced (thus less likely to die) players have a bigger punishment if they make a fatal mistake.

(also, 1440 in game hours would only accrue a 2-day respawn not a week. Would suck, but obviously if you've survived 1440 hours you should be smarter than getting yourself killed, that's kinda what the whole idea of death punishment is about).

Only real problem I see is if a long time survivor is killed by a bug, that would be insanely frustrating to trip down some strairs to your death and have to wait x hours to play again. But I'm gonna assume those kinds of bugs won't make it to the full game where this feature could be.

Edited by zeeabo

Hey guess what? It's a game, for one i would never bother playing anygame where if i died i'd have to wait anything over 10 minutes to play again that's a joke you think that would stop Kill on Sighting and people shooting happily? Game would be troll haven, sit on a roof/Window with a long range mosin, snipe snipe snipe, the game would be dead, boring,  nobody would play it and you would NEVER encounter someone. No, this idea is stupid. Especially with all the hackers and glitchers, or had you forgotten about that?

• Like 1

Hey guess what? It's a game, for one i would never bother playing anygame where if i died i'd have to wait anything over 10 minutes to play again that's a joke you think that would stop Kill on Sighting and people shooting happily? Game would be troll haven, sit on a roof/Window with a long range mosin, snipe snipe snipe, the game would be dead, boring,  nobody would play it and you would NEVER encounter someone. No, this idea is stupid. Especially with all the hackers and glitchers, or had you forgotten about that?

>there are some hackers in the alpha, better stop development.

"Game would be troll haven, sit on a roof/Window with a long range mosin, snipe snipe snipe,"

Please explain to me how that is different from what is currently happening?

A good player with a long survival time should know better than to hang around in the open where they can be sniped, thus they would be punished under my suggestion.

A newspawn may be his first time ever playing, if they are murdered they respawn in under a minute and continue with their learning curve.

Edited by zeeabo
  • Like 1

Hmmm this can be solved in the following way:

Corpse despawn 5min (15min if someone is close 100m of the body)

Respawn for the first time: 1min (almost impossible to recover the body)

Then if Hero/Bandit system is incorporated:

Normal = 5min of wait.

Hero = 1min of wait (rewarded)

Bandit = 30min of wait. (punished)

That should be enough.

• Like 1