Sign in to follow this  
gaerteuth

Would the G3 Rifle ruin the game?

Think about this gun; it fires the in-game 7.62x51 round. In full auto.

We're talking a gun with a 20 round mag that will instantly knock out an unhealthy player with a shot to the upper chest.

As much as I want this gun, I cannot figure out a way to make it fair.

Update

The comment board has had several suggestions as to the nature of a 7.62x51 full auto rifle's performance.

This suggestion holds that the G3 will retain it's 1 shot potential.

The magazine will hold twenty rounds.

The recoil will be like that of the Mosin's, perhaps more. There's a lot of powder in these cartridges.

It will shoot at 600 RPM.

It will be able to select fire to Single shot or Fully Automatic.

It will have low dexterity (swings around a lot when you move your mouse)

It will slow your movement slightly (this is a heavy gun).

HKG3A3.jpeg

Edited by gaerteuth
  • Like 1

Limit it to semi-auto, lower the damage, and give it a fairly low RPM. It'll be the first scout-battle rifle in DayZ.

• Like 5

As much as it would kill the immersion for the rounds, we can either do this ^

or give it the 5.56 round.

Hello there

Since when were weapons fair? No nerfing for balance!

Bring it on, baby!

G3's for everyone!

Rgds

LoK

• Like 21

i really don't think it would and I thought it was 308 not 7.62 but I'm probably wrong. and full auto I think the recoil would balance the weapon well. I want a B.A.R it shoots 30-06 rounds full auto maybe we could take to ten round mags and make a 20 and its iron sights only so keeps it short range but the damn think would hit folks like a mack truck same as with the G3 except it could get scopes.

OP is right it shoots 7.62x52 and an experimental model shot a 7.62x33.

Edited by gannon46

Limit it to semi-auto, lower the damage, and give it a fairly low RPM.

We already have that, it's called the SKS.

or give it the 5.56 round.

We already have that, it's called the M4A1.

There's no reason for guns to be fair. Last time I checked a G3 was just a rifle, not some kind of Wunderwaffe. If the G3 is so amazing the Germans must have made the mistake of the century in swapping to the G36, eh?

Change the damages and damage system to be more realistic and "poof" the main advantage of 1-shot-kills suddenly goes away.

• Like 9

Imagine the recoil. And if the dev team are real sadists...the DISPERSION!

I doubt the G3 is on their list of "add-to's"... It's a rifle that doesn't really have a purpose in the setting. They have better to add. Such as the SVD, or the AK-74.

[snip]

• Like 1

Guns are allowed to be OP. Don't bring a knife to a G3 battle lol

Eh, I could see there being some around Chernarus, The gun itself has been around the block once or twice.
Its what sixty three years old? wouldn't be too far out of the question if nations had handed over outdated surplus arms to assist the Chernarus government fight the Chedaki would it? (Ignoring the blatant they were not in Arma 2 or any of its expansion.)

• Like 2

As much as I want this gun, I cannot figure out a way to make it fair.

First: Rarity - its a military weapon (the term "battle rifle" tells us) and as such it is more effective than the much older Mosin which is a civilian firearm in the era of DayZ (WW2 and before). So its quite unreasonable to find it nearly as much.

Second: Recoil and weight - the G3 fires full-power bullets in contrast to M4 (small caliber) and AKM (medium power). This makes it heavier and limits magazine size. Also the stronger rounds increase the recoil making it harder to actually hit your target. Those are the main reasons while the German army switched to the G36 which is considerably lighter and easier to handle.

So in the end the G3 would work similar to the AKM but with more damage and recoil.

Eh, I could see there being some around Chernarus, The gun itself has been around the block once or twice.

Its what sixty three years old? wouldn't be too far out of the question if nations had handed over outdated surplus arms to assist the Chernarus government fight the Chedaki would it? (Ignoring the blatant they were not in Arma 2 or any of its expansion.)

Hello there

Are they not in a2 somewhere?

Im sure ive used them. prob a mod.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Honestly i see no reason not to add this gun, many people make good points that its a low clip capacity with a heavy round but should be stuck on semi. yes it would be a killer in the right hands but could also screw people with its noise and not so good accuracy, not to mention when weight becomes a factor this is a heavier rifle and also when pristine weapons are harder to find this weapon would be a "I just need something that fires bullets" gun. Just my opinion honestly, but I support it. 

• Like 1

Hello there

Are they not in a2 somewhere?

Im sure ive used them. prob a mod.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there lok

I just mean't the vanilla Arma 2 and expansions, Mods? sure plenty of G3's in mod packs.

There's no reason for guns to be fair. Last time I checked a G3 was just a rifle, not some kind of Wunderwaffe. If the G3 is so amazing the Germans must have made the mistake of the century in swapping to the G36, eh?

Change the damages and damage system to be more realistic and "poof" the main advantage of 1-shot-kills suddenly goes away.

Full-auto mosin. There's a point where immersion crosses into balance's breeding grounds, and that'll happen if the G3 can 1 hit kill on full-auto.

Besides, the G3 could be used as an upgrade to the SKS. Rarer ammo and weapon, but mostly direct stat upgrades.

I don't see why the gun should not be added. (it shouldn't be a high priority, but once they start adding things ...)

the HK G3 and the FN FAL are practically the "same" gun.

Both fire the 7,62mmx51mm  Nato (the Mosin fires the soviet 7,52x54R cartridge similar to the SVD).

They both have 20 round magazines and the ability to fire full-auto.

The FN FAL was in the mod an wasn't all that great. Don't get me wrong it is a great gun, but not nearly as overpowered as some of you are trying to tell us.

Regarding limiting it to "semi only". I think with ammo going to be really scares and valuable the last thing one is going to do is shoot a Battle-rifle in full-auto. Disregarding the recoil that would turn your rifle into an AAA after the second shot. So full-auto should still be an option (a bad one). If the gun where to be limited to semi auto like the M14 AIM in the mod, I am sure everyone would be able to click the LMB that it would not make much of a difference anyway. 

Also once they have added Zombies and working sound (geeks being attracted to gunshots and most of all very loud guns) i think one would rather not shoot this thing in the vicinity of any settlement.

Weight also bad.

About the damage being OP .. I'm ok with that. Let it be a one-shot-kill-to-the-chest-gun. And if the guy/gal has that gun he/she should have an advantage over you.

Last but not least the gun should be quite rare. Maybe they could add two versions. An older version without the ability to mount scopes on it, but with full-auto that spawns at normal military loot spawns (because the G3 has been in a shit ton of conflicts and it may have found its way to Chernarus, who knows?). And a modern DMR version with rail to support all kinds of attachments, that rarely spawns at chopper crash sites.

In the end with the rifle being rare, the ammo being rare and the mags also being rare I don't think there will be a lot of people running around with those bad boys. (even less so once they have implemented the central loot economy)

• Like 1

Full-auto mosin. There's a point where immersion crosses into balance's breeding grounds, and that'll happen if the G3 can 1 hit kill on full-auto.

Besides, the G3 could be used as an upgrade to the SKS. Rarer ammo and weapon, but mostly direct stat upgrades.

Did you ever play ARMA? Get shot by a single 7.62x51 under 800 meters and you were most assuredly dead. Despite this they were hardly unbalanced. It should not be like that in the first place anyways. There were plenty of these "full auto Mosins" and guess what, most all were replaced for general issue by intermediate caliber weapons by countries that could afford to do so.

I could not care less about the balance, it's a dirty word. If something is so unbalanced (TWS weapons, tanks) that you will have to make large deviations from reality to fit it into the game - then don't add the thing in the first place!

Got that already, it is known as AKM...

Hi I'm German. Just a quick question: What is this "mistake" you speak of?

Hi I'm German. Just a quick question: What is this "mistake" you speak of?

No mistake. People are saying the G3 would be such an "overpowered" rifle that it can't be added to the game without multiple "nerfs". If that was authentic behavior and the G3 really allowed soldiers to dominate everyone with the mystic power of fully automatic 7.62 then the Germans would have been silly to switch to the 5.56mm G36. :rolleyes: If there is a problem then it's not the fault of the G3, it is with the damage values and damage system and it should be changed. Not "solved" by making a 5.56mm or 7.62x39 G3. Those wouldn't even be G3s - so what would be the point in adding such fictional weapons?

• Like 1