Sign in to follow this  
gaerteuth

Would the G3 Rifle ruin the game?

I think they'll go with the traditional G3 with the option for optics. And I do think the flecktarn, DPM, AK74M that was planned and the US shirts imply if not prove presence of German, British, Russian and American forces. It would open the doors for RP and more equipment so long as they keep the overall emphasis on Soviet hardware

RP? Cute ^^

No for real, I'm a big fan of it but DayZ needs a little je-ne-sais-quois or a miracle or servers with active admins and reporting functions for RP to actually be an element of the game. I became a SoS-wimp like all the others after only two weeks of trying to RP....

Back to the G3: there are scopes for it. Maybe it would make sense to have the occasional G3 spawn WITH a scope (not to mention a mag). THis is one of the things that annoys me about the looting system. You'll find a weapon flashlight spawn randomly somewhere miles away from the nearest pistol but never a pistol with a weapon flashlight? Did somebody spend the first days after the outbreak running around mischievously disassembling guns and scattering weapon parts all over the place?

Has anyone actaully used the FAL in the mod?

It had burst mode.

It was absolutely useless in burst. Only the first shot got within 5ft of the target. 

It wouldn't be op.

No mistake. People are saying the G3 would be such an "overpowered" rifle that it can't be added to the game without multiple "nerfs". If that was authentic behavior and the G3 really allowed soldiers to dominate everyone with the mystic power of fully automatic 7.62 then the Germans would have been silly to switch to the 5.56mm G36. :rolleyes: If there is a problem then it's not the fault of the G3, it is with the damage values and damage system and it should be changed. Not "solved" by making a 5.56mm or 7.62x39 G3. Those wouldn't even be G3s - so what would be the point in adding such fictional weapons?

Dude... take a hint. I was making a joke in the sense that germans don't make mistakes, ever. There was no reason whatsever to explain what you meant. It was understandable the first time.

Make it semi-automatic and make it have a relatively low RPM.

Make the gun rare, but the magazines even rarer. 

And also, does this gun look familiar? I feel like it's from another game...

Make it semi-automatic and make it have a relatively low RPM.

Make the gun rare, but the magazines even rarer. 

No. It doesn't make sense to add a fictional version of the G3. The gun will have its' perks and its' disadvantages if it ever makes it into the game. It doesn't need fake nerfing.

No, not even in the real life version. It's about time this game gets some serious toys. 

No. It doesn't make sense to add a fictional version of the G3. The gun will have its' perks and its' disadvantages if it ever makes it into the game. It doesn't need fake nerfing.

To balance a game, sometimes it required people to think out of the box (and real life). 

To balance a game, sometimes it required people to think out of the box (and real life).

Hmm, here's a thought outside the box defined by this thread: if you don't want a G3, how about not adding a G3?

There are plenty of rifles limited to semi-automatic with relatively low RPM, pick one of those.

Hi I'm German. Just a quick question: What is this "mistake" you speak of?

Dude... take a hint. I was making a joke in the sense that germans don't make mistakes, ever. There was no reason whatsever to explain what you meant. It was understandable the first time.

If you want me to take a hint, first you have to give it.

• Like 2

Very nice battle rifle but I'm afraid that not too many of these are in civilian hands of eastern European citizens. Maybe even none, I've never seen any of these in shops or shooting ranges here. Chernarus is supposed to be placed somewhere between Russia and fictional Arabic countries like Takistan, so FN FAL should suit the theme better, and also lately some Imbel (Brazilian made) FALs were imported to the region so it's possible to buy one here, of course only semi-automatic.

Anyway I think it would be better to add more sporting/hunting firearms instead of western military weapons, just because it's how it looks now when we look at civilian firearms market of the region. Also most armies here used and still are using soviet weapons so FMJ 7.62x51 surplus ammunition is not as popular as for example 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R. In case of zed outbreak there could be a little problem with such ammunition after some time (while 7.62x39 is still available in tonnes and used in many different guns, there are even accurate bolt action rifles in this caliber).

Maybe one way to even out the fight against automatic weapons would be to implement weapon jaming for automatic rifles. It would be realistic but could end up being frustrating for players. If Rifles like the blaze couldn't jam it would balance the weapons just fine.

I'm thinking of m4 on auto: possible jam = you need to push reload to shoot again after 1-3 seconds, m4 on semi auto = no jam.

Edited by TyrDaishi

Jamming should only happen with damaged weapons or ammo and it doesn't really make sense to give semi-auto fire a lower chance of jamming. Automatic rifles already have the disadvantage of wasting ammo, somewhat lower accuracy, being much harder to find and wearing down faster (because you are firing more rounds on average and in quicker succession).

If people think of it as op its because they are thinking in common FPS-terms where most of its disadvantages (weight, recoil etc.) were phased out or reduced to make it "more fun" (success is debatable) or because logistics don't play a role in some games (like CoD) - they do play a much bigger role in DayZ though. And maybe because some nostalgic German (ex-)soldiers still mourn their "real rifle".

It's hilarious how the discussion keeps going in circles.

It's a cool weapon, let's have it

-> but it's way too powerful, we must make it semi-automatic

-> the G3 isn't semi-automatic

-> but it's way too powerful, we need to give it a lower caliber

-> how about we just NOT have a G3 before we have a fictional one

-> but it's a cool weapon, let's have it!

-> but it's not a weapon common to the former Soviet bloc

-> but it could have been imported by the German, Turkish or other military force, that would make it really rare

-> the thing is the G3 is so extremely awesome that you have to make it jam all the time to balance the game

-> how about we just give it some realistic stats

-> but it's way too powerful, we could make it neon-pink so that you can see it from far off

-> REPEAT UNTIL BORED

I have an idea. Let's balance the game and remove the M4, the AKM and the SKS since it's almost impossible to beat an opponent that carries these weapons using a Sporter .22

EDIT: How could I forget the Mosin!! Waaaay too powerful sniper rifle we should give it the recoil of an elephant rifle!!

Edited by ColonelBurton
  • Like 1

The G3 is an awesome rifle, common all over the world and has considerable recoil (though not much for a 7.62x51). Why the hell not? As long as it doesn't get a scope, we'll be fine.

The G3 is an awesome rifle, common all over the world and has considerable recoil (though not much for a 7.62x51). Why the hell not? As long as it doesn't get a scope, we'll be fine.

I still don't understand why it shouldn't be possible to find an extremely rare "Picatinny for G3" item that enables using the M4 scopes (ACOG etc.)

As long as they find a way of making the player feel the bulkiness and weight of the weapon along with scarceness of the ammunition, this will make most players think twice about picking the gun up.

After all, surviving in this game is not only about how powerful the weapon is but also how you move around, how you keep an eye on your surroundings. Besides, a noob with a scoped G3 will be as useless as with the SKS and a progamer with a G3 will consider dumping the gun when he sees how much more common the Mosin ammo is.

Regarding why the Bundeswehr ditched the G3 for the G36 I got another input from a friend. He said it might have to do with the "aim to maim" doctrine, seeing as 5.56 is less likely to be lethal than 7.62 - but I think the main reason for the change was the fact that the role of the Bundeswehr changed from "Holding off the Soviets at the Fulda gap until NATO moves in" to more urban combat roles such as in the Balkans and Afghanistan, and the fact that the G3 needs a far more skilled rifleman to handle it properly

Speaking of skilled riflemen, check these guys out. They really know how to handle an AK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuc5qxSYjUs

• Like 1

Overall I think the G3 deserves to be added, compared to other weapons it should defiantly be on the lower end of customization but still posses high firepower at the expense of high recoil and a uncontrollable full auto mode. Magazines should be rare, it can accept standard 20 round box magazines or 50 round Drums, of which the Drums like the AKM Drum Magazines should be extremely rare.

The G3 to me would only have a few customization options, in this case it would be handguards, stocks and a single "unique" optical sight. You can attack a bipod BUT only with a specific handguard to reflect the usuage shown in real life. These attachments would be:

Handguards

• Slim - Standard, default Handguard
  • Ventilated - Could perhaps decrease weight but increase recoil
  • Wide - Wide plastic handguard, allows the use of the Bipod Attachment

Stocks

• Full - Default Full Stock
  • Collapsible - Collapsible Stock that reduces size when holster (reducing signature of the weapon)

Sights

• 4 x 24mm Hensoldt scope - Standard G3 style 4x telescope sight

Would love to see the old wood styled G3, with an option to paint it green to emulate the later models. 

Full-auto mosin. There's a point where immersion crosses into balance's breeding grounds, and that'll happen if the G3 can 1 hit kill on full-auto.

Besides, the G3 could be used as an upgrade to the SKS. Rarer ammo and weapon, but mostly direct stat upgrades.

Good luck maintaining consistent, automatic fire, on a battle rifle (especially the G3). Sure, you might have an advantage in close quarters where recoil is not as much of a problem, but you wouldn't use a Mosin in CQB unless you had to either way. Also consider the fact that they don't have to make optics for the G3, so you're not necessarily going to see everyone sniping with them like they do the SKS.

And magazines for the G3 are huge, so good luck carrying a large surplus of them. Rarity introduced properly would mean that these guns wouldn't be "overpowered".

Imagine the recoil. And if the dev team are real sadists...the DISPERSION!

I doubt the G3 is on their list of "add-to's"... It's a rifle that doesn't really have a purpose in the setting. They have better to add. Such as the SVD, or the AK-74.

Chris Torchia has mentioned that the G3 is something they want to make (as well as the FN FAL).

And it's actually one of the best fitting battle rifles they could do (again, like the FAL). These things appear in almost every major conflict nowadays that AKMs and other AK variants are still appearing in. Yes, it's too a lower degree, but just looking at footage of recovered weapons in Iraq & Afghanistan, a good portion of the weapons are G3s or FALs or other non-AK rifles.

Yes, Chernarus isn't Afghanistan, but it's historically rife with civil war, and some G3A3 rifles would be perfectly acceptable to that end.

• Like 2

Except that's full auto. G3 could be semi-auto. Christ, read pls.

And, why was the AS50 removed from DayZ mod again?

What's that word that describes it? Balance? Yeah. It was removed because it was unbalanced.

It wasn't realistic at all to begin with. The AS50 in the mod had almost no recoil from any firing position, could be fired from any position, allowed you to sprint at full speed (in addition to all of your other hundreds of pounds of gear), allowed you to turn and maneuver at the same rate as with any other gun, and also had almost no deviation at any range (because there were no environmental factors in the DayZ mod affecting ballistics).

If they really wanted to have the AS50 in the Standalone, they could easily correct all of those problems, and suddenly it would be more or less a support weapon with incredibly rare ammunition and that's not very useful if you can't get a clear shot. I'm not saying I want an AS50 (I don't), and the devs don't either, but arguing why stuff was removed from the mod is pretty poor considering the mod's shooting elements were unrealistic in themselves.

The G3 is not semi-automatic. That would make it "not a G3". Who cares about this anyways? It's not a machine gun, smart players will not rattle off rounds on full, having full auto isn't going to make a noticeable difference in its effectiveness. I never missed the lack of full auto on the mod's M14 and I never, ever used the burst mode on the Takistani FAL.

The AKM should have semi-auto when they start fixing the weapon configs.

Not according to R4Z0R49.

"7 pages of so called reasons why they got removed.

i can pretty much say every page of reasons is incorrect. I can also say every page has a valid reason to keep and a valid reason to remove. But none of them are the reason we have removed."

Anyways your mind seems to be stuck in the universe of "DayZ 0.45". Please step back and consider real life. G3s do not dominate the battlefield wherever they are found. It's just another rifle. :rolleyes: If there is some problem now, then make the game more "authentic" and there would be no problem with adding a G3, this is not hard to understand. And, like I said, if it's so "overpowered" you "need" to alter it, then don't add the thing in the first place.

You hear the same kind of thing with the M14.

That mainly stems from the fact that the original M16s offered very little more than the M14 did, because they didn't have 30 round STANAGs in good quantities at the time and were plagued with terrible reliability issues (on the XM16E1 and M16, that is). It was also an odd jump considering the M60 was the go-to support weapon (all automatic support was done by this rather than M249s, unless you count the few USMC, MFR, and SEAL units who had Stoner M63s).

But yeah, the whole point of the M16 was to create a lightweight weapon that allowed soldiers to carry larger quantities of ammunition and remain energized in the fight for longer periods of time, and it's done a fairly good job at that. Their modern universal-type magazines (STANAGs are used in tons of guns, even M249s!) and extreme variety in customization has definitely helped.

i don`t think it would ruin the game, its a weapon, it would be kinda hard to find, its suposed to be powerful.

• Like 1

After camping up around Svetlo for a while with a pristine mosin, scope and compensator, yes, I agree.

G3 should be without scope. And I would prefer if there were no 7.62 semi-automatic or automatic sniper rifles in the game.

Fairness doesn't matter, this is dayz, if you have a sporter 22 and he has a G3 he has the advantage, that's life, it's not fair, deal with it.

• Like 1

Fairness doesn't matter, this is dayz, if you have a sporter 22 and he has a G3 he has the advantage, that's life, it's not fair, deal with it.

Quoted for truth.

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

Which doesn't mean we need every gun or caliber in the game. There's plenty of modern-day weapons and warfare "that are not fair" that people have to deal with. DayZ is still a game and needs at least a certain balance. That's why I'm against humvees, apaches and the like.

Which doesn't mean we need every gun or caliber in the game. There's plenty of modern-day weapons and warfare "that are not fair" that people have to deal with. DayZ is still a game and needs at least a certain balance. That's why I'm against humvees, apaches and the like.

All I want is a .50 sniper rifle and A-10 Thunderbolt II

Also no, Dayż might just be one of those games were we can say "fuck balance, lets add this"