Sign in to follow this  
USUAL_SUSPECT (DayZ)

Destructible enviroment

That wonderful description gave me the most clear picture. Very well thought out.

Destructible environment won't make or break this game, core mechanics will. Plus, the environment is already destructible XD

• Like 5

i think environment is destructive already, as mention above me. we just don´t have anything to destroy it with (yet).

You already can destroy almost any building, the thing is that there are no explosives or vehicles to do this:

Well as i see from this video, this aint destructible, i mean there is no pieces, deformation of the facility u know what i mean, its just smoke and lights.

Well as i see from this video, this aint destructible, i mean there is no pieces, deformation of the facility u know what i mean, its just smoke and lights.

Well if you're looking for Frostbyte Levelution, then you're in the wrong place.

• Like 1

walls and buildings are already destructable. Seen a hacker who shotgunned a wall down with infinite ammo in a vid. Also its the arma 2.5 engine, and in arma 2, stuff was destructable (my heli crashed on a building...half the building was gone)

In a way its not true destructible.

In arma things have always been "replaced" by other models, when destroyed, rather then actually falling apart.

Both the buildings and vehicles, change models when destroyed, and we are most likely to see the same happening in DayZ.

Its not a bad thing tbh, it would be awsome if we had true destruction, but the engine was never build to handle anything like that, so we will most likely never see it happening.

We can live with the level of destruction we have atm, its perfectly fine.

I still wonder though, can we destroy the new buildings they put in to the game? Have they made "destroyed models" for that yet?

And will we actually get explosives in the end to do so? :)

• Like 1

Honestly, I'd just like to see glass break, that way we can start without having every window broken; and I could shatter a pane with a rock or something to draw of the zeds. But that's not exactly a development priority and it shouldn't be.

• Like 1

i wonder how it would be implemented though, just structures reset after 24 hours? or server reset only or what

As others have said all A2 buildings were destructible. Not fancy crumbling building pieces from the direct point of impact, but at least they had a "wrecked" model for each building, satchel charge (sometimes more than 1) at base and boom, building is a smouldering wreck.

I love the epic damage systems from other games, things like just cause and mercenaries jump to mind. But if you compare the environment detail to a map like chernarus its very much reduced. I like the added detail, giving an almost photo realistic effect, over a less detailed world with fancy physics.

We do have a physics engine now so maybe aswell as a model swap hidden by some smoke, we could have just a few chunks that bounce around. Not loads, just a few. Buildings getting blown up should be a rare thing in dayz anyway so shouldn't be too hard on the server to render 10 pieces of debris for added effect.

Also as a little extra if a piece hit you it could cause damage. Depending on the size actually kill you.....

Imagine finding/making a satchel charge, blowing a building that a group had garrisoned....only to be killed by a huge chunk of debris. Best you tube vid ever :D

• Like 1

I can see this being cool but overload on our game easily, honestly I'm fine with the destruction as it is now with the smoke and mirrors effect. A+ for the idea though!

This is Arma II style destruction, it's gonna be a hell of a lot fun to get those campers :D.

If u want this game to be really good u must make the enviroment destructible.

You really need to pick up a book or two about game design, also if you have played the mod in arma 2 which supported a form of destruction on buildings, you would know what kind of a performance drop it would give. The way it works in their engine is by changing models.

The physics are already server sided, if they needed to calculated every single piece of a wall fall down, collide, interaction, transfer energy to other pieces, every one would run at 1 fps no matter what machine.

And no adding destruction won't instant make a game "good", I think you have this in mind with destruction. 

But take a close look at those scenes, none contain even 10% of the level size Chernarus is and thus all processing power can be focused on those small physics parts.

Don't get me wrong I get your point, it would be awesome to make physics based traps and contraptions. But next time you post, explain yourself a bit more, one sentence is not giving any one an idea of what you are getting at, give some examples, explain, research if it could be possible.

You really need to pick up a book or two about game design, also if you have played the mod in arma 2 which supported a form of destruction on buildings, you would know what kind of a performance drop it would give. The way it works in their engine is by changing models.

The physics are already server sided, if they needed to calculated every single piece of a wall fall down, collide, interaction, transfer energy to other pieces, every one would run at 1 fps no matter what machine.

And no adding destruction won't instant make a game "good", I think you have this in mind with destruction. 

But take a close look at those scenes, none contain even 10% of the level size Chernarus is and thus all processing power can be focused on those small physics parts.

Don't get me wrong I get your point, it would be awesome to make physics based traps and contraptions. But next time you post, explain yourself a bit more, one sentence is not giving any one an idea of what you are getting at, give some examples, explain, research if it could be possible.

love the video makes a good explanation, im sure on a small scale some things like this could work if the engine can run it but total destruction i cant see working, as Mark Darkers stated in the quote the FPS drop would be sever, my rig (very well together rig might i add) would just shit a brick with destruction like that on the scale of the map.  

If u want this game to be really good u must make the enviroment destructible.

You mean this?

Edited by Sobieski12

I must say i was disappointed in the Mod when i couldn't destroy the Green Mountain radio tower with a few well placed satchel charges.

The way its done in arma 2 is a good compromise between visuals and performance and allows for some good gameplay based around destruction.

I must say i was disappointed in the Mod when i couldn't destroy the Green Mountain radio tower with a few well placed satchel charges.

Im just disappointed you cant climb up to the top :( .

Edited by YorkMorgan