Came back after a couple months expecting some progress, found none. This is a little sad considering how many updates were rolling out in the start of the year. Has development been ditched or something? I am confused.

I was hoping to see some substantial progress by now but it appears I will be playing bf4 until christmas. I don't follow reddit, is that where the info is?

• Like 1

The info is both here and on the reddit, A patch is due within the next " Couple " Of weeks.

Currently on exp there is a new update which introduces:

Hunting

Fishing

Cooking

Fires

Akm

Long horn

P1

Heli crashes

New city

Bug fixes

New clothes

Picking apples

Roadflares

• Like 6

Came back after a couple months expecting some progress, found none. This is a little sad considering how many updates were rolling out in the start of the year. Has development been ditched or something? I am confused.

I was hoping to see some substantial progress by now but it appears I will be playing bf4 until christmas. I don't follow reddit, is that where the info is?

You should switch to experimental. Theres some big stuff on the way.

• Like 1

Aren't they further optimising the network architecture? Good lord I hope they are, 2 days ago I quit after someone turned 90 degrees and killed me in 1 shot (with a blaze, I was semi-fresh spawn) while I was behind them. Personally, I think that's kinda silly :B so I hope they worked more on that.

Hunting

Fishing

Cooking

Fires

Akm

Long horn

P1

Heli crashes

New city

Bug fixes

New clothes

Picking apples

Roadflares

This.^

The current experimental build is pretty much the biggest update that we've had since the public alpha was released.

• Like 3

Hunting

Fishing

Cooking

Fires

Akm

Long horn

P1

Heli crashes

New city

Bug fixes

New clothes

Picking apples

Roadflares

And NONE of them fixes the problem's we' have had for a year now:

Terrible fps inside cities, zombies still acting like the dayz mod 2010.

My favorite is the glitching through walls which in a way makes the game unplayable for legit players. Also that bug is over 6 months old. It's clear the devs are not gonna ban the f children who glitches.

But hey please add more junk to the server, we sure need it!

Edited by greenfish
  • Like 1

Oh my jesus you're new here aren't you? To the forums at least.

In short;

Different departments do different things. There are people who code items and people who design them. There are also those who fix problems in another department too which is further subdivided to network related issues, AI related issues etc. So just because they're adding more content and not junk doesn't mean the issues are just being ignored.

Tip: Think before you post and bother to contemplate, please.

• Like 4

Just an fyi, SA hasn't been out a year.

And they aren't working on any of the issues you mention, right?

Guy, the SA hasn't hardly been out 5 months, what are you on about?

Any ways, their goal these days is a stable branch update towards the end of each month but nothing is set in stone.

My favorite is the glitching through walls which in a way makes the game unplayable for legit players. Also that bug is over 6 months old. It's clear the devs are not gonna ban the f children who glitches.

Ah, one can never please all the people. It's a rule of nature it would seem.

But the good thing is, you can just not play the game for a little while, right?
So when all the things that make your personal gaming experience hell will be fixed or at least mitigated, you can come back in and have some good times.
It has been said more than 10 times (far more that 10 times) that those issues will get fixed. Making it happen just takes some time and in the meantime,
we can enjoy the first drafts of the hunting system and stuff.

I find that to be very fair.

Oh my jesus you're new here aren't you? To the forums at least.

In short;

Different departments do different things. There are people who code items and people who design them. There are also those who fix problems in another department too which is further subdivided to network related issues, AI related issues etc. So just because they're adding more content and not junk doesn't mean the issues are just being ignored.

Tip: Think before you post and bother to contemplate, please.

I beg to differ. Ask yourself how would you run their teams? I'd focus ALL of them on the FUNDAMENTALS. Adding more garbage does not in anyway fix the gamebreaing issues. I'd focus the whole team on zombie pathfinding+weapon accuries (complelty broken) and the glitchers. Also ban anyone who glitched.

Just an fyi, SA hasn't been out a year.

And they aren't working on any of the issues you mention, right?

Standalone started dev in early 2012, that's when the clock started

Guy, the SA hasn't hardly been out 5 months, what are you on about?

Any ways, their goal these days is a stable branch update towards the end of each month but nothing is set in stone.

Ah, one can never please all the people. It's a rule of nature it would seem.

But the good thing is, you can just not play the game for a little while, right?
So when all the things that make your personal gaming experience hell will be fixed or at least mitigated, you can come back in and have some good times.
It has been said more than 10 times (far more that 10 times) that those issues will get fixed. Making it happen just takes some time and in the meantime,
we can enjoy the first drafts of the hunting system and stuff.

I find that to be very fair.

True I guess. Just getting tred of Dean Molenyx talking on youtube about players being able to take a dump and adding 999 more t-shirts instead of fixing you know the actual game.

Standalone started in 2012, so they are up to 2 years now and guess what:

glitchers, zombies, weapons etc are still broken

See, there's that misconception.

The game is really allowed to be broken.

No one (apart from those that gonna hate ofc) said those things will stay broken.

This is, as many disclaimers and texts stated, an unfinished product.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to develop a game?

At work, we're working on a multiplayer racing game (It's a trivial game concept compared to DayZ).

Writing the network code alone and getting it straight took us about 4 to 5 months.

And that's only a small portion of things that need coding.

There's more like track logic, GUI logic, racer customisations, data backends, deployment pipelines that need maintaining ... and all that fancy crap.

It's not just flipping a few switches you know.

2 years is really not that much when you're developing things from scratch.

Edited by damagefilter
  • Like 1

Is that your clock or the actual clock? This just shows the misconception of  the "actual" development of the SA.

I beg to differ. Ask yourself how would you run their teams? I'd focus ALL of them on the FUNDAMENTALS. Adding more garbage does not in anyway fix the gamebreaing issues. I'd focus the whole team on zombie pathfinding+weapon accuries (complelty broken) and the glitchers. Also ban anyone who glitched.

Would the takeover of a complete new studio, dedicated to zombie AI qualify as focusing on the pathfinding issue....because that's what they have done. So while they can continue implementing crucial survival elements to the game the pathfinding studio has one task to focus on.

When it drops the procedural navmesh will really change the way the zombies behave. But its not an easy task to create one for a map the size of chernarus. As long as its in by the end of the alpha, which we are only halfway through, its right on schedule.

Yes but the alpha has only been up for 5 months. The relece of alpha was simple saying they had a working platform to build on. Those prior two years were not about adding features ect, but about creating the engine to support there vision. Its not uncommon for games to take a few years to make.

If you look round the forums a bit you will see them moving to get rid of things like this. Just last week they moved the mag ammo count serverside to remove the unlimited ammo glitch. Sure I heard they found something not long ago that will stop people getting through walls but I cant remember what the fix was.

Basically the right people are on the job....but Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

See, there's that misconception.

The game is really allowed to be broken.

No one (apart from those that gonna hate ofc) said those things will stay broken.

This is, as many disclaimers and texts stated, an unfinished product.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to develop a game?

At work, we're working on a multiplayer racing game (It's a trivial game concept compared to DayZ).

Writing the network code alone and getting it straight took us about 4 to 5 months.

And that's only a small portion of things that need coding.

There's more like track logic, GUI logic, racer customisations, data backends, deployment pipelines that need maintaining ... and all that fancy crap.

It's not just flipping a few switches you know.

2 years is really not that much when you're developing things from scratch.

Didn't they basically fork the RV engine? So most of the work was in place. I'm not arguing that they move too slowly or anything like that. Just putting that out there.

are you trolling? i did not play for 2 weeks got some free time played again and saw huge differences.

Edited by pycco

Didn't they basically fork the RV engine? So most of the work was in place. I'm not arguing that they move too slowly or anything like that. Just putting that out there.

That is true.

We used Unity as engine of choice. That didn't change anything though.

In the case of DayZ, the implemented a new server architecture called authoritative server-client networking (as far as I can tell anyway).

Previously the RV engine used peer-to-peer (I think) to get networking done.

Rewriting this is a huuuuuge amount of efford. Still is as it would seem as they only partially got it done so far.

Finding the info is a bit of an IQ test.. some fail, some excel. 

Good luck! 

True I guess. Just getting tred of Dean Molenyx talking on youtube about players being able to take a dump and adding 999 more t-shirts instead of fixing you know the actual game.

Standalone started in 2012, so they are up to 2 years now and guess what:

Early 2012? No, it started August 2012 with a DEV BLOG. He said that he was going to start writing up the CONCEPT of it. Another thing is that if you were to focus ALL of the teams on just fixing stuff, the game would be so damn bare that no one would play. Also, not everyone knows how to program, fix wall glitches, or repair network issues. I swear you are so unaware of how development works.

They WERE using a TOH based RV engine then moved completely over to their own engine made from scratch with hardly any TOH/RV elements.

Finding the info is a bit of an IQ test.. some fail, some excel. 

Good luck! 

I don't see the professionalism in posting development info in a separate area other than the forums for the game. I don't like reddit or any of those "3rd country" sites. I see the development blog but it doesn't seem to be updated too often.