Grimey Rick

EDITED - PETITION: Should a sound be made when we log on and off?

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sound be made when logging on/off?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Yay! It's necessary to fight against ghosters.

He is not asking back for the cracking sound, just for the reloadsound or any soundnotification for that matter. 

It doesnt really matter if its any other sound or the reloading sound. Both serves the same purpose.

This isn't some chat program that notifies you when someone logs in. It breaks immersion and is totally unnecessary. 

You know what breaks immersion more? When in the building that I just searched, suddenly a guy appears behind me and sprays me down.

• Like 7

You know what breaks immersion more? When in the building that I just searched, suddenly a guy appears behind me and sprays me down.

You know what really breaks immersion? When you go to low pop servers to loot without risk and then whine when you get killed by someone trying to do the same thing.

I say nay, sirrah!

Better anti-ghosting solutions out there.

• Like 1

oh i like that, what happens when your "standard" server is full though? should i be forced to play a fresh spawn because of a full server?

of course.

Each server regardless of connected to the central hive or not should be its own ecosystem.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

Actually I don't get it why they removed the sounds anyway. The only people that are hurt by that stuff are the server hoppers and they are constantly fighting them with their xx endless timers, so why did they even remove the sounds?

Now it's even easier and more effective to server hop right in the building instead of having to look for a safe place, since you can easily ambush the people that think they are safe in their room, looting.

Edited by MarchmelloMan
  • Like 2

I say yes.  It made it unlikely that you would be surprised by a logging in player.  Makes you more cautious about where you log in and out.

• Like 4

Makes me wonder, were there any other bugs in dayz that turned out to be helpful and fixed a problem ? Such as the reload sound fixing or attempting to fix ghosting and server hopping ?

I say yes.  It made it unlikely that you would be surprised by a logging in player.  Makes you more cautious about where you log in and out.

Maybe instead of using sound there could be a message that pops up, "You feel a presence nearby" as they are logging in.

• Like 6

Nay!

But i support the idea of "noise" when you log in the game...

No to that sound coming back, because it was way too loud. But yes to adding a different sound that you can only hear if you are very close to it.

Maybe instead of using sound there could be a message that pops up, "You feel a presence nearby" as they are logging in.

I honestly thought it was an intentional feature to give a heads up!  Surprised to hear it was a bug!

I agree it helps with ghosting but i dont think we should add the noise back. Mainly because when i spawn it always scares the shit out of me because it feels like someone is about to shoot me xD.

Edited by Murlough

You know what really breaks immersion? When you go to low pop servers to loot without risk and then whine when you get killed by someone trying to do the same thing.

Why would you assume that he hops around low pop servers? I like to play on full servers and I see the hoppers appearing left and right at NEAF, like winged ant queens popping out of the ground on the first rains of Spring.

I could just as well assume that you never played the game or the mod, you just watch twitch streams, so you've never experienced the BS of securing a building/area only to have someone magically spawn in behind you and shoot you in the back.

• Like 5

Why would you assume that he hops around low pop servers? I like to play on full servers and I see the hoppers appearing left and right at NEAF, like winged ant queens popping out of the ground on the first rains of Spring.

I could just as well assume that you never played the game or the mod, you just watch twitch streams, so you've never experienced the BS of securing a building/area only to have someone magically spawn in behind you and shoot you in the back.

Fact/

You people have obviously never made a 40+ minute trip to an airfield, only to get into the Military Prison/baracks, clear it and have 4-5 people spawn in the cell below you, one after the other.

That sound is the only thing that saved me from being REALLY, REALLY pissed.

Sound needs to come back, or there needs to be restrictions on where people can log out and back into.

If you don't agree you might as well throw up as giant sign that says: " QQ I'm a closet server hopper, fuck you and your anti-hopping logic while I hide behind my invalid argument of 'twasn't in mod hurdur'. Now i'm off to hop servers until I find exactly what I want. QQ "

The only thing that the abomination known as 'The War Z/ ISS' ever did right was removing the ability to log into towns/cities (the single respawn point  they used per city/town was utterly retarded though... avoid that)

• Like 6

Honestly, any sound would suffice. Someone mentioned a subtle yawn your character makes upon logging in. That, to me, is genius. We definitely need something. For those arguing "immersion", "immersion" is quite frankly kicked in the metaphorical nuts when someone logs in upstairs while you're downstairs defending a doorway. I explained this is in the OP, but I guess there are those who'll argue anything.

• Like 5

If they do anything...

I want it to be a yawn sound, as if your player just woke up. 

EDIT: LOL.. and then I scroll up and see what Rick just wrote.. rofl

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

With sound - You're running around an area known to be a hot spot due to gear/items/weapons and hear the sound knowing a player logged in nearby so you can run away/escape to prevent your death. It also supposedly will help deal with server hoppers? Only way it makes a difference is if the people hearing the sound run up and shoot the guy logging in.

Now you logon on your normal server and promptly get shot because you made reload sound on logon and there happened to be people nearby. You're not a server hopper, but you suffer the same.

Without sound - You're running around an area known to be a hot spot due to gear/items/weapon and stumble into another player who will either kill you, or you kill them, or neither. They only just logged in near you. Unless you were standing in plain sight in front of them which means you have a chance to see them, you would have heard them moving, changing weapons etc.

You logon and see a bunch of bandits nearby who haven't seen you, you run to hide and wait for them to leave.

It just seems like it doesn't do much either way except breaks immersion and having the sound makes it more likely you'll die on logon before you can move. Either way it would be a rare thing to happen. I've never had people logon near me, but have logged on near others, but the reload sound didn't seem to travel far when it was in. If you go to an area prone to having people there and logging on there, then you should be prepared to get ambushed, whether its people hiding under stairs, in a brush, behind a door or just happened to spawn in near you. At least even if the spawn in is silent, you have the chance to hear the footsteps.

Personally I'm more concerned about people logging out, than in.  It sucks to have people log in by you for sure, but at the same time if they chose to log out in a risky place to begin with then that's the risk they took for the reward of hopefully catching some one off guard.  Your screen is blank for a bit, while your character is already in so if a person is attentive enough they'll see you any ways.

What I'm more concerned about is combat loggers, and how you just don't know if the guy has been sitting in some room for ages or if he pussied out and logged.  A yawn for logging out, that again, is fairly subtle so you have to still be attentive, would go a good ways for that.

Couldn't give a shit what sound it as long as there is a sound

• Like 1

With sound - You're running around an area known to be a hot spot due to gear/items/weapons and hear the sound knowing a player logged in nearby so you can run away/escape to prevent your death. It also supposedly will help deal with server hoppers? Only way it makes a difference is if the people hearing the sound run up and shoot the guy logging in.

Now you logon on your normal server and promptly get shot because you made reload sound on logon and there happened to be people nearby. You're not a server hopper, but you suffer the same.

Without sound - You're running around an area known to be a hot spot due to gear/items/weapon and stumble into another player who will either kill you, or you kill them, or neither. They only just logged in near you. Unless you were standing in plain sight in front of them which means you have a chance to see them, you would have heard them moving, changing weapons etc.

You logon and see a bunch of bandits nearby who haven't seen you, you run to hide and wait for them to leave.

It just seems like it doesn't do much either way except breaks immersion and having the sound makes it more likely you'll die on logon before you can move. Either way it would be a rare thing to happen. I've never had people logon near me, but have logged on near others, but the reload sound didn't seem to travel far when it was in. If you go to an area prone to having people there and logging on there, then you should be prepared to get ambushed, whether its people hiding under stairs, in a brush, behind a door or just happened to spawn in near you. At least even if the spawn in is silent, you have the chance to hear the footsteps.

I completely disagree. If you don't want to die when you log on, don't log out in a city, town or airfield. Period. I have never, in 1,000+ hours been killed while logging in. Ever. Why? Because I log out away from contested areas. It takes thirty seconds to run outside of a town and into a group of random trees.

What I have been killed by since they removed the sound is someone logging in upstairs/downstairs from me while I'm pinned down in a jail or a police station. You have no warning someone just magically appeared inside the same building as you which is completely absurd. I have no qualm with people logging out in contested areas (these people are generally server hoppers or morons), but they should be penalized for so doing. A subtle sound (a yawn as someone has already suggested) gives notice that someone is near to the otherwise oblivious player already in the building.

Personally I'm more concerned about people logging out, than in.  It sucks to have people log in by you for sure, but at the same time if they chose to log out in a risky place to begin with then that's the risk they took for the reward of hopefully catching some one off guard.  Your screen is blank for a bit, while your character is already in so if a person is attentive enough they'll see you any ways.

What I'm more concerned about is combat loggers, and how you just don't know if the guy has been sitting in some room for ages or if he pussied out and logged.  A yawn for logging out, that again, is fairly subtle so you have to still be attentive, would go a good ways for that.

That is the worst excuse I've heard yet. That's exploiting game mechanics in hopes of getting a cheap kill. If you log out in a contested area you should be penalized. A subtle sound isn't going to guarantee your death, it's simply putting players on a level playing field.

I've crashed to desktop while inside of a hot spot, re-launched DayZ, spawned in behind a guy who was looting the top level of a jail, drew my gun immediately (it's very rare to hang at the "Please wait..." screen) and held him up. I didn't kill him in that situation because I felt like a complete douche that he had no warning whatsoever. I told him to run out of the jail with his gun put away. He complied, ran out of the jail and avoided an otherwise cheap death.

We need a sound.

• Like 1

I completely disagree. If you don't want to die when you log on, don't log out in a city, town or airfield. Period. I have never, in 1,000+ hours been killed while logging in. Ever. Why? Because I log out away from contested areas. It takes thirty seconds to run outside of a town and into a group of random trees.

What I have been killed by since they removed the sound is someone logging in upstairs/downstairs from me while I'm pinned down in a jail or a police station. You have no warning someone just magically appeared inside the same building as you which is completely absurd. I have no qualm with people logging out in contested areas (these people are generally server hoppers or morons), but they should be penalized for so doing. A subtle sound (a yawn as someone has already suggested) gives notice that someone is near to the otherwise oblivious player already in the building.

That is the worst excuse I've heard yet. That's exploiting game mechanics in hopes of getting a cheap kill. If you log out in a contested area you should be penalized. A subtle sound isn't going to guarantee your death, it's simply putting players on a level playing field.

I've crashed to desktop while inside of a hot spot, re-launched DayZ, spawned in behind a guy who was looting the top level of a jail, drew my gun immediately (it's very rare to hang at the "Please wait..." screen) and held him up. I didn't kill him in that situation because I felt like a complete douche that he had no warning whatsoever. I told him to run out of the jail with his gun put away. He complied, ran out of the jail and avoided an otherwise cheap death.

We need a sound.

If there was still a sound your opinion would probably be the opposite. Since in the situation you explained, you probably would have been shot before your screen even loaded. Is this not also a "cheap death"?

The sound may have been a glitch, but it was removed for a reason, and if the majority of people actually wanted the sound I'm sure it would have been fixed as a glitch and actually put in the game as a feature...

Reloading sound? no. Guns don't reload themselves.

Something more subtle like sounds from clothing? Yes!

If there was still a sound your opinion would probably be the opposite. Since in the situation you explained, you probably would have been shot before your screen even loaded. Is this not also a "cheap death"?

The sound may have been a glitch, but it was removed for a reason, and if the majority of people actually wanted the sound I'm sure it would have been fixed as a glitch and actually put in the game as a feature...

Then why didn't I make a post pertaining to its inclusion as a "bug" during the five months it was in the game if it was so detrimental? Like I said, I've never been killed while logging in. It's not a difficult concept.

Congratulations, your assumptions were all incorrect.

Our characters need to make more noise, generally. It should be very difficult to move around silently or near-silently. If someone's running down a street, you can hear them a hundred yards off; if someone's running through the woods, you can hear the sound of cracking branches underfoot; if someone's walking around on the floor above you, the floorboards creek; etc!

Perhaps taking your shoes off would allow you to pad around quietly indoors, but then give a big disadvantage if you suddenly have to rush outside, as it would hurt your feet and force a slower running speed?

Hopefully, in time, things like this can be implimeted; in the mean time, each time you log on your character should let out a loud blast of flatulence.

• Like 2