Hikurac

Remove In-game Player List

Should We Remove The In-Game Player List  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Remove The In-Game Player List

This is a topic brought up by LORD3N and I thought it'd be a good idea to see what the community thinks. I'm not talking about the player list in the server browser, simply the one in-game. The current system allows players to constantly check how many players are in their server and see who they are. By doing so the player can determine the odds of him coming in contact with a player, or a clan, which is rather immersion-breaking. So, what do you think?

I'm neutral. Before actually reading your description of why you're posting I was sticking with the simple answer of No. But I agree with you, however I'm still remaining Neutral.

This is a topic brought up by LORD3N and I thought it'd be a good idea to see what the community thinks. I'm not talking about the player list in the server browser, simply the one in-game. The current system allows players to constantly check how many players are in their server and see who they are. By doing so the player can determine the odds of him coming in contact with a player, or a clan, which is rather immersion-breaking. So, what do you think?

Encountering a Clan using TS or other third party software is immersion-breaking.... They're all telepaths....  ;)   If one stays, the other should too. It's a video game after all. To each his own! (Don't look at the player list if you want surprises! B) )

• Like 1

I would say yes, good feature but for hardcore servers only.  Normal remains as is.

This.

Using a player list allows me to do exactly what OP said- see how many players there are in that server. I'm part of a large group who regularly raids Berezino (Hate me or love me) and after a bit of playing about and getting some kills, people start to leave the server because they know we're there. Checking to see who's playing allows us to know if we can continue kicking ass or if we need to find another high pop :)

I voted 'no' on this one.

Like most things in DayZ that require an action by the player to initiate, my view is simply that if you don't want to use a feature you are not forced to do so. If you don't want to have your immersion broken by the Player List, simply don't push the key to bring it up on screen.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 5

HUllo there

Gonna leave this here as its a discussion about a proposed suggestion.

I think

I r nut vury clevr

L

• Like 4

No thanks.  You can still get a feel when you are picking a server.  If someone wants a low pop server, they will go to a low pop server.  If I want contact with other players, I want to be able to see if there are enough on the server to go looking for someone or if I need to log off and find a high pop.

remove ingame player-list and also remove player count on server list. There should be only 3 variables. Below half capacity, over half capacity and full. So you never know if the server has 20 people or 0 and therebefore can't serverhop between empty servers and just YOLO's military bases cuz you know no one is there.

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 2

Hmm, I understand where this is coming from and I somewhat agree, I just don't really want to joi na server with 3 people on and never meet anyone at all. D:

Maybe something for later when persistant objects are in the game, say you've made a base, you have a car and you've started your farm, you probably don't want to join a different server and lose it all.

No, my reason is after playing for an hour or more the amount of players can change massively. I don't want to be running around by myself. The game is pointless unless you know there are other players.

The only advantage to not having it is people can't join low pop server and keep checking if they are safe to farm alone. 

Servers with set characters would solve this, along with any other gear farming. 

• Like 1

You're assuming that most players want to be in low pop servers, and leave when it gets full. What about those of us who want to stay on a populated server, and leave when it gets empty?

Anyone who wants to stay in an empty/lowpop server could still just open Gametracker in steam browser or another monitor and check the server population that way.

Edited by fuke

No.

Don't press P

I agree with the OP. The list gives you information that you realistically should not have. Would be much more interesting not to see the list but some people like the information you got and then players are using 3rd party tools (Chernarus+ map, Skype, Teamspeak) all the time. I voted yes - for hardcore servers or as a server option.

I bet all the server oppers voted no....... <_<

How about those of us looking to play a game and not somebody's second life?

The marginal realism this game has apparently causes people to forget it is a game and requires some ability to manage the interface and interaction for playability.

If someone wants to know how many people are on, why do you care?

Yeah, I'd rather it be gone... but not going to lose any proverbial sleep if it stays in. It has a minimal detriment.

But yeah, being able to monitor how many players, but who specifically, is in a game whilst playing is bad in the sense that you inevitably lose some of that uncertainty, especially when looting.

How about those of us looking to play a game and not somebody's second life?

The marginal realism this game has apparently causes people to forget it is a game and requires some ability to manage the interface and interaction for playability.

If someone wants to know how many people are on, why do you care?

Bet you wana spawn in with friends and want the addition of fast travel too right ?

gonna have to side with the no, and here's why: It's a tool used by admins to find hackers on their server, and without a replacement, it'll cause even more mayhem.

Replace it with a valid admin interface, then i'll add my vote to the yes pile. Till then, i'm at no.

I have even more radical idea, remove whole SERVER LIST!

There would be just two buttons, join normal and hardcore server and thats it...pretty radical huh?

On a more serious note, even if player list is removed, you can always "rejoin" to check number of people.

I think they already removed time penalty when rejoining the very same server.

Some people are really trying to push this too much.

Like preventing folks using Teamspeak, maps, gaming mice with high DPI and other crazy stuff.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 3

Ya but what happens when you trap someone in a building, and camp it for 20 mins or w.e and find out they combat logged?

im with steak, hardcore only feature

• Like 2

Ya but what happens when you trap someone in a building, and camp it for 20 mins or w.e and find out they combat logged?

im with steak, hardcore only feature

If they go this route and making Hardcore more than just the game minus 3pp then they would have to fix 3pp on regular then.