CANUCKinNZ

Any News on Global Chat?

In the mod global voice chat was annoying so if you did it you got kicked or warned but I think that global typing would help this game in its current state. I know that some bandits would use it to bait noobs by asking for help and then killing on sight, (we've all been on both end of that in the mod if you played it.) but that's your fault if you fall for it.

It could help a bit with trading gear, meeting up with friends who don't have you added on Steam, TS or Skype or just to find out where battles are happening. (If you're into that.)

I think it would keep some people who are getting bored interested if there was a bit more interaction by being able to type to the whole server. It could also help to stop KOS if someone gets shot in the back to let other people know who not to trust or to report where the cheap campers are.

I searched the forum first and can't seem to find much mention of it so has anyone heard of a timeframe or even if this is being considered to be added?

What's the communities thoughts? Would you want it in game or not?

• Like 2

would not want at all

• Like 14

Global SideText is amazing for this game.. just amazing. But I do think it should be optional and you can turn it off.. so as to not break the immersion with constant text off to the left. A simple hotkey to turn it off and on, like many other features would work. If things got spammy, you flip it off.. you see another player running, you turn it back on to type to him. 

It really, really adds to the game.. Either that or we need something like phones in most of the houses that essentially when "picked up" work just like sidetext and you can type to any other player who is on the phone. Many different ways it could be done. Make walkies global, and spawn more so players can pick them up and select "Global" channel and hear anyone who is talking into theirs, or they can select "Local" Channel and then choose from the pre-selected frequencies. This way clans, and common players can have what they need and no one is imposed upon to be forced to hear or read sidechat.

In any of the above mentioned ideas of implementing it, each and every player must first choose to be a part of the sidetext. Make it default off, so each player has to turn it on. Or you must have your walkie on, and global selected to hear others. Or the phones idea.. you could have payphones, house phones, and even cell phones that could all work as sidechat/text delivery devices. Make it so you can ring phones if you "learn" their number. Great for houses, and clans with cell phones. 

What do you think of how it could be implemented that would not be an eyesore or a burden on those that did not want it?

I personally think walkies is the way to go. You have 2 main channels: global and local. Local has different frequencies and a range of 1000m. Global has infinite range and only 1 frequency. You must have it turned on, have a volume adjust option for it one way or another but in game would be best to turn it down.. or up to make it loud. This way a clan could talk on global to ask where each other is to meet up. Others can hear it.. and stalk them if they want. Then you switch to a local channel and hope no one is on it and listening as you get close to your clan. For the stalker you would be switching channels over and over hoping to hear the local transmissions.. I mean you could really add some depth with this here. If you never played the mod, sidetext looks stupid. But if you played it most people can admit that the benefits often outweighed the occasional wall of text. Most, not all can admit that. ;)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 3

My problem with Global chat is that it makes contact boring at times, and really kills the risk of meeting people sometimes.

Me: Hey guy in NWAF firestation drop your weapon and stand still

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jane Doe: No

Me: *Bang*

Jane Doe: Wow, He is a bandit stay away from him!!!1!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact should be left to voice coms on the walkie or in close proximity.

Edit: spelling

Edited by LeeFriendField
  • Like 3

Side channel is a pain in the ass to moderate, the trolling and absolute stupidity that goes on in Side gets out of hand all the time no matter what you do. You can try to moderate it but imo it's better left off and out of game.

As for Global, that's a different channel than Side and should be left for Admins only.

No, metagaming is one of many things that's wrong with this game.

• Like 2

quotes

quotes

quotes

What about some of my ideas above? What if you could not see sidetext unless you turned it on?

Then all that senseless stuff would, if done right, not even be present. 

Edited by lrish

Or maybe when you find a walkie talkie, you can also type through the channels available through it, instead of only voice chat

• Like 2

Side channel is a pain in the ass to moderate, the trolling and absolute stupidity that goes on in Side gets out of hand all the time no matter what you do. You can try to moderate it but imo it's better left off and out of game.

As for Global, that's a different channel than Side and should be left for Admins only.

Yes okay, so side shows up for everyone on the server and global is just for admins? Is that right? I might have the wording wrong.

What about some of my ideas above? What if you could not see sidetext unless you turned it on?

Then all that senseless stuff would, if done right, not even be present.

But then I could be calling someone out for like an hour and think they're ignoring me not knowing they just have it turned off...

• Like 1

Verbal chat yes but what about just typing with the option to "mute" someone who's spamming the text, either by the admin or individual players. Actually, mute voice option for individual players would be fine too.

But then I could be calling someone out for like an hour and think they're ignoring me not knowing they just have it turned off...

That is exactly the point.. its more realistic. You call out, you get nothing. You maybe try later. Or get closer to use actual mic chat.. etc.. 

You would do what you do in real life, rather than have a magical power to instantly speak (type) telepathically to everyone in the game whenever you want no matter how much they want you to stop. 

Dont get me wrong, I love the things that sidechat/text brings if its global. But the way it was in the mod is not at all how the SA should be. They should find a plausible way to talk to others, but not be forced to listen. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

That is exactly the point.. its more realistic. You call out, you get nothing. You maybe try later. Or get closer to use actual mic chat.. etc.. 

You would do what you do in real life, rather than have a magical power to instantly speak (type) telepathically to everyone in the game whenever you want no matter how much they want you to stop.

And the realism vs. enjoyable gameplay debate rears it's ugly head again! Haha.

And the realism vs. enjoyable gameplay debate rears it's ugly head again! Haha.

But this premise is not versus. Its symbiotic. ;)

• Like 1

So has anyone seen any mention of this by the devs or is it not even on their radar at this point?

There is no way you'll ever get a global chat in DayZ until we have private hives.

There is no way you'll ever get a global chat in DayZ until we have private hives.

Why do you think that? Whatever server you're in could allow it.

I honestly think radios are enough with their multiple frequencies and the range on them is limited and really, that's how it should be. Broadcasting to the whole server breaks the immersion for one as well as being a pain to moderate.

I'm looking at it from an Admin perspective. I've tried having Side Chat multiple times while running a Mod server and it just doesn't work. As I said, the trolling and absolute stupidity that ensues is above and beyond the hassle of it.

If it becomes and option, I will have it off.

Global chat is only for logged in RCON admins, and it should STAY for admins only. Side chat is for all the people who want to chat across the server. :) Anyhoot, I think side chat would be a great feature BUT must have a toggle to turn it off or on.

• Like 1

I think global chat isn't needed at the end. Radios do that job already. Just longer range direct chat like shout and shorter like whisper are things I like to see. Shouting would be text only and it has naturally longer range like 250m for example. Text only because nobody likes to hear epic sax guy playing from other side of a town.

I'm in favor of side chat, as an option. Some people see it as not immersive, but that's never a problem I've had. Hell, the most immersive, memorable experiences I've had in DayZ come from the mod, despite side chat, and prevalent vehicles, and so on. SA hasn't left me with any truly lasting memories at all. And that worries me. Yes, it's still early on, but I could say the same about the mod, early on despite the many Micky-mouse workarounds of the mod, the chunkiness and bugs, the hackers, etc, it consistently provided immersive experiences that sucked me in. But immersion =/= realism, and we shouldn't conflate the two.

• Like 2

Why do you think that? Whatever server you're in could allow it.

If you think this you obviously haven't been following the stuff with the server renters complaining of their lack of powers.

How about side chat as a server setting? Set up a noob-friendly hive where new players can ask for help, perhaps. Either that or disable it for hardcore servers.

Which one do you like more?

hcxHUM0.jpg

ItAuP6j.jpg

The one that gives you the option to turn it off or not.

If people dont like side chat having the option to not see it would be good, however voice side chat sucks.

• Like 4