Raoul9753

Suggestion: Introduce yourself

Ok, the idea came me when I was playing in a group and more than once we nearly shot each other cause you cant really say if the guy who comes your way is from your group or not.

So I thought, what if you could introduce yourself to other players and after that, whenever you are close enough that in the real world you could see the face and see "Ah, its him" players you introduced yourself to can see your name?

It could work like this (for example):

You aim at someone and press F5, (As far as I know its not used right now) and your character would reach out for a handshake. When the other player accepts, he also faces you and use F5, you shake hands and from that day forward you see each others name.

Would also be nice for friendly interactions.

Like when you meet a guy who helped you out befoire and you can go "Hey, I know you!"

Edited by Raoul9753
  • Like 5

Good idea but how to implement this? I would think the servers might melt down. :D

I think that the list of known persons could be saved locally on client's computer in the form like this: hash of the steam username. Anyway, if you reinstall your game, you would suffer from "memory loss", forgetting all the people you know.

Anyway, I like the idea too.

Really cool idea. Would also lead to some cool rp, although a huge orange playername may or may not break immersion. Eh, what the heck. Beans to you, sir.

I was playing PS2 a moment ago.

In that game,when you see a unit you move the cursor on them and press "Q" to spot them.

Well,in the same principle you can tell "Friend" from "Unknown".

It would be cool if you had a "friend list" linked with the "steam profiles".

So you can see the people on your friend list and also your friends on Steam.

• Like 2

Really cool idea. Would also lead to some cool rp, although a huge orange playername may or may not break immersion. Eh, what the heck. Beans to you, sir.

It dont have to be big names, maybe just little gray names at the character.

This feature could be added quite easily and would fix the player identification issue I mentioned in an earlier post. It is basically the same as a "friend's list" except the client would decide whether or not to show a player's name when getting close to them. I mean, if hacker's can already see your in-game name the client has the functionality already built in.

One thing that would be required for this to work is a static username. Once you set your username you can't change it anymore. Period.

• Like 1

This feature could be added quite easily and would fix the player identification issue I mentioned in an earlier post. It is basically the same as a "friend's list" except the client would decide whether or not to show a player's name when getting close to them. I mean, if hacker's can already see your in-game name the client has the functionality already built in.

One thing that would be required for this to work is a static username. Once you set your username you can't change it anymore. Period.

Why? If someone were to change his username and you meet him again, somewhere in the UI it could say: "It's [name 1], aka [name 2] " 

I'd like this, of the message were in the same vein as the "I feel hungry" ones. Like, "I think I recognize him: that's Ted."

• Like 1

I think that shooting your friend by accident should always be a part of the game, and this idea is a little too drastic. I do however like the principle, but I'd like to add a few caveats:

• Session based: You only remember the friends you've made during this session. Lose connection and lose your "friends".
  • Invisible: There should be no visual clues as to who is friend or foe

The latter would require some serious thought to make work, but I feel that having a sure fire way of ID'ing your friends would break the game for me. One possibility would be a heart rate mechanic: When you see someone you don't recognise, your character's heart rate could audibly increase (perhaps even coupled with a little blurring around the edges of the screen and/or discolouration) to indicate the sense of fear such an encounter would likely create. This way you could ID people you knew because they don't cause a reaction in your character, but you could never be certain if that person you saw is your friend, or if it was simply someone you had met previously and walked away from.

The game already provides ways for you and your friends to identify each other. My personal favourite? Wear the same hats!

understand the want for recognition but i dont want to see names above players heads, i dont expect we will see names either as it doesnt seem to fit in the minimal  look of the game

understand the want for recognition but i dont want to see names above players heads, i dont expect we will see names either as it doesnt seem to fit in the minimal  look of the game

We dont need names, it would be enough if the chat message would say "Hey, I know this guy, its Steve!"

We dont need names, it would be enough if the chat message would say "Hey, I know this guy, its Steve!"

How is a pseudo-tooltip in the chat window any different to a tooltip above the clients head? It's just less convenient and therefore simply a bad design decision. If you're going to ask for full identification of players, don't water your idea down!

How is a pseudo-tooltip in the chat window any different to a tooltip above the clients head? It's just less convenient and therefore simply a bad design decision. If you're going to ask for full identification of players, don't water your idea down!

Cause we already have our Survivor saying everything in this chat anyway.

"You are getting wet!"

"You are no longer getting wet"

"I am Hungry"

"I could use a Drink"

"My clothes are wet"

So what would change if its one more message "Hey, this guy who looks exactly like everyone else in the game is someone I met before"

after all, every freaking character looks the same.

And you cant say "We just all wear the same" cause everyone and their mother andf grandmother and GOLDFISH will wear military outfits in the end...

Oh and I never asked for friend identification, just for a way to remember people you met and identify them.

Edited by Raoul9753

I feel the "status messages" need to go away, in favor of aural or visual indicators. Those text messages ruing my immersion more than an icon would, to be quite honest.

no, no, no! F5 is being used and this is a horrible idea.

Maybe we dont even need a name, just a little symbol that shows you "I know this guy"

Seriously, having like maybe 10 people (didnt meet more who were not trying to shoot me on sight in my whole gametime anyway) with a little symbol over their head wouldnt ruin the game...

FYI rocket said they are gonna implement costum armbands for groups. I don't know how it would work but maybe you can paint bandages and wrap them around your arm. It'd be interesting to see a smart enemy copying your group's armband and tricking you  :D