Bambi Population Control

Yesterday I played the Mod after 200 hours of Standalone.

So, yesterday, I finally found a server that would provide me a hardcore, original DayZ experience.

Goddamn it was like a whole different game, it was MUCH MORE difficult than the Standalone.

It was actually scary and frustrating, and suprisingly, those feelings weren't coming from glitches and game breaking bugs, like they do in the Standalone, and people were suprisingly more friendly and cooperative than in the Standalone.

Like, I actually had to use my brain to go around places, and had to scout a zone before actually entering and zombies ARE a real danger. Headshot only of course, and they were fast as fuck, difficult to shoot if you only had a pistol and 2 mags, and I had a TERRIBLE time trying to find a vehicle.

Being tactical actually has a use other than looking cool and pro.

Oh and night time. That was such a NICE and terrifying experience, it actually affected how the zombies detected you, unlike in the Standalone.

I was fighting to survive.

And then I see Standalone, I can tell, that it's not going in the right direction. With each update it gets easier and easier.

When I think of Standalone, I think of "Call Of Duty: I'm Hungry Edition".

Yes, ladies, I said it, no matter how much of that "Alpha" shit you SPAM at me.

I see the roadmap, the plans for it, and I just see it getting easier.

Fancy graphics (actually quite bad), fancy guns, fancy clothes.

The only thing Standalone has is character customization and better inventory system WHICH should have animations when accessing parts of your gear like the backpack.

10/10 people, if you're new to DayZ, and haven't played the Mod, I totally recommend it. There's a lot of server variety, for the hardcore, and Epoch for the easier thing.

• Like 23

I generally dislike your post, but 1 thing you got right. DayZ mod is worth playing!

• Like 7

My experience with the mod after fucking around for ages trying to get it working is "You were kicked due to high ping". Guess i was a little late and all the local servers closed down.

Edited by meiz22

I jumped into Epoch with a few friends for the first time yesterday, after over 100 hours on Standalone and having dabbled in the mod for a few hours... awesome, terrifying, fun!

• Like 2

I've got to agree with you, they're making this game extremely easy to get get ear, with a police station now in almost every town, and the zombies usually all die with one shot. I had logged over 600 hours on the mod(sadly) and am close to 175 on SA, I love both, but the mod is much harder than standalone.

• Like 3

Zombies are way more difficult in the standalone and being tactical still has it's uses, oh and one more thing

"ALPHER"

Zombies

How?

It's one shot kill, you can mow down the entire map. Every single zombie. It's SO easy.

No matter how much they respawn.

I can just run around the map no matter what location killing everything just with an M4A1, without stopping to think, and ammo will never be a problem.

Anyone can.

• Like 2

They haven't really cared much about the difficulty because they're still doing core engine stuff. They could make the zombies like in mod but they still go through walls, suddenly stop because of the server performance etc. There are so many things to do before the balancing of the zombies.

• Like 3

They haven't really cared much about the difficulty because they're still doing core engine stuff. They could make the zombies like in mod but they still go through walls, suddenly stop because of the server performance etc. There are so many things to do before the balancing of the zombies.

It's not only the zombies, it's everything, even the map has a way more apocalyptic feel, with lots of things blocking the road, lots of car crashes.

How?

It's one shot kill, you can mow down the entire map. Every single zombie. It's SO easy.

No matter how much they respawn.

I can just run around the map no matter what location killing everything just with an M4A1, without stopping to think, and ammo will never be a problem.

Anyone can.

Well maybe not gunwise but certainly with melee weapons. I like that it is 1 shot (maybe not in legs) kill to an infected for realism but I do agree that ammo is too common. Although, if you shoot every infected you come across it's going to get you killed sooner or later.

Edited by BSB Jimmy

you do realize that the mod has loot tables tuned for gameplay, while in standalone the devs throw items at player in obscencely overabundant amounts for testing purposes? seems you dont.

i agree though that the mod is an enjoyable experience to have, as long as you stick to vanilla and dont go onto that "100000 vehicles, spawn with GPS and DMR" private hives or that disneyland epoch mod

• Like 6

All I will add to this thread is...

I'm VERY hopefull that the new peep's working on the game will be able to finally fix the issues that have plaqued the mod all this time and have also infected standalone. 

Oh, and that they'll be able to help with the new issues that standalone brought to the table. 

:thumbsup:

What if, not everyone want a game harder than 4 Dark Souls taped together?

I'm not one for the ballbusting difficulty you seem to want out of DayZ. Personally, I like it as it is. I wish people wouldn't assume everyone wants something that is annoyingly difficult. It's idiotic, and narrow-minded.

• Like 2

I don't really see what the issue here is, the reason the game is easy is for testing reasons, because all the things that make the game difficult simply aren't complete yet.

Lootspawns, they don't respawn yet, nor are all items in the game yet. Supplying the alpha testers with high loot spawns makes for easier testing as items are used more. The globalized loot system will combat things like server hopping and loot farming, while it will increase the rarity of the items being used on a hive level. The loot locations aren't finalized either.

Player numbers, they are aiming at 100 player servers if possible. This will mean that more players are on the map which as a consequence brings a higher difficulty as well. More items get looted, more people that are trying to kill you.

Survival, currently wetness and cold don't do much yet, combined with the overflow of loot, it makes it easy to survive, but again that's subject to change.

It's not that hard to make the game harder once the game is actually feature complete.

• Like 1

Headed in the wrong direction?

Mod: Little animations, jerry-rigged ways of executing actions (the hatchet being a re-skinned shotgun with a short range), terrible graphic capability, few enter-able buildings, low detail weapons (graphically and functionally), etc

SA: MANY animations, reworked non-rigged melee, increased graphics, 90-95% of buildings enter-able, HIGH detail weapons, Bullet Physics SDK, bigger map, etc

I think not.

Edited by Shadow134
  • Like 2

Headed in the wrong direction?

Mod: Little animations, jerry-rigged ways of executing actions (the hatchet being a re-skinned shotgun with a short range), terrible graphic capability, few enter-able buildings, low detail weapons (graphically and functionally), etc

SA: MANY animations, reworked non-rigged melee, increased graphics, 90-95% of buildings enter-able, HIGH detail weapons, Bullet Physics SDK, bigger map, etc

I think not.

Not to mention all the future advancements that the mod will never gain.

Mod was terrible. Yes, zombies are harder, but loot is even more abundant than in StandAlone. Also that horrible graphics, lightning and animations... I don't like people who religiously ignore all the flaws and keep praising mod as 100 times better than StandAlone. It is not better. It was good, until stand alone came along and reached patch 34... then mod became just a past. It has now less content, buildings are un-enterable. It doesn't even look like open world game anymore. Just a big big one room.

Inb4 people swearing at me how stupid I am for not liking things that they like.

Edited by MaxRain

In case the bulk of you haven't figured this out, the dev team keeps changing things from release to release. I.E, the previous release there were zombies everywhere and they re-spawned immediately. This .44 release they are hardly to be seen and they don't respawn. They've had similarly drastic tweaks to the loot.

My point is that these changes are all because they are TESTING the components to the game. It's not indicative of the direction of the game as the original OP thinks.

• Like 2

Is the mod the better gameplay experience right now....sure

But its had a considerable headstart on the SA and worked within the restraints of the A2 engine. Now they are rebuilding it they can do a lot more. Once the basic feature that make dayz what it is find there way from the mod to SA it will improve a hell of a lot. There isn't even that much to add and il never look back.

PS - on the wrecks and barricads thing....they are static objects, not built into the map. That allows them to be cached when no one is around. Id expect them to start placing things like that late alpha, even early-mid beta :)

My friends and I have put in about 150 hours of SA.

We have since all moved back to EPOCH.

SA did do a good job on some things... like the inventory system, controls, lighting/graphics  

But other than that there just isnt fuck all to do in SA.  The game has zero content in its current state.

• Like 1

So, yesterday, I finally found a server that would provide me a hardcore, original DayZ experience.

Goddamn it was like a whole different game, it was MUCH MORE difficult than the Standalone.

It was actually scary and frustrating, and suprisingly, those feelings weren't coming from glitches and game breaking bugs, like they do in the Standalone, and people were suprisingly more friendly and cooperative than in the Standalone.

Like, I actually had to use my brain to go around places, and had to scout a zone before actually entering and zombies ARE a real danger. Headshot only of course, and they were fast as fuck, difficult to shoot if you only had a pistol and 2 mags, and I had a TERRIBLE time trying to find a vehicle.

Being tactical actually has a use other than looking cool and pro.

Oh and night time. That was such a NICE and terrifying experience, it actually affected how the zombies detected you, unlike in the Standalone.

I was fighting to survive.

And then I see Standalone, I can tell, that it's not going in the right direction. With each update it gets easier and easier.

When I think of Standalone, I think of "Call Of Duty: I'm Hungry Edition".

Yes, ladies, I said it, no matter how much of that "Alpha" shit you SPAM at me.

I see the roadmap, the plans for it, and I just see it getting easier.

Fancy graphics (actually quite bad), fancy guns, fancy clothes.

The only thing Standalone has is character customization and better inventory system WHICH should have animations when accessing parts of your gear like the backpack.

10/10 people, if you're new to DayZ, and haven't played the Mod, I totally recommend it. There's a lot of server variety, for the hardcore, and Epoch for the easier thing.

you are comparing an actual stand alone game. that is in early in testign to a mod built off another game, thats been around for a long time already.  how many clueless comparisions will we see here, so many already

• Like 1

I just see it getting easier.

Congrats on playing the mod.. as for the rest.

fuzzy_wobble_wizard_gif.gif