FrostDMG

Please, say NO to helicopters.

Helicopters should be added for the atmosphere they added alone. When you were in a city in the mod and you heard one go by, it was exciting. Especially if it landed near by!

Edited by MagneticToast
  • Like 1

Helicopters should be added for the atmosphere they added alone. When you were in a cityi n the mod and you heard one go by, it was exciting. Especially if it landed near by!

The only thing helicopters do is destroy atmosphere.

The starving civilian survivors somehow magically can fly modern helicopters with 0 training.

The survivors who have makeshift backpacks made of sticks and burlap sacks who craft bows out of sticks and rope are somehow now flying in a brand new helicopter.

Not only can they fly it but they know the helicopter in and out and are able to repair it let alone feed the beast the rare and hard to find fuel it requires.

YES atmosphere.

The starving civilian survivors somehow magically can fly modern helicopters with 0 training.

The survivors who have makeshift backpacks made of sticks and burlap sacks who craft bows out of sticks and rope are somehow now flying in a brand new helicopter.

Not only can they fly it but they know the helicopter in and out and are able to repair it let alone feed the beast the rare and hard to find fuel it requires.

YES atmosphere.

realism versus gameplay.

do you think having the itches from genital fungus affect your aiming would be more of an 'atmosphere'? because to be honest, thats what you get not changing your damp underwear for months.

i rather have helis than jock itch.

• Like 2

YES atmosphere.

I didn't know how to fly it, when I tried it crashed. Others could, so that was cool to see. and it was cool seeing them crash. Yeah survivors that have makeshift backpacks where there is canned food everywhere that you have to eat every ten minutes to survive. much realism. So gameplay.

I don't see a big problem with them considering bases will (as far as I've read/seen) be fully construct-able from the ground up, can be inside the ground or inside buildings, thus making them harder to find even from the air. Also what do you think will happen when you fly in one of the very limited number of choppers on the map scouting for bases or whatever in a 100+ player server? Every bambi/hero would likely hide, but every bandit/group would likely open fire on you, I wonder how long the helicopter would last then? I can see it only been used in certain situations and otherwise kept safe, like rescuing people/group mates or when attacking another group.

I've watched videos of DayZ mods and original (played original vanilla) and while the helicopters sometimes seemed OP with miniguns etc, why do you think DayZ SA will be the same? I picture a better chance of civilian ones flying around with people hanging out the side shooting if they wanted, but making them easy targets. They've also said that cars will be much more advanced requiring many more parts then any of the mods and you're able to customize them somewhat, so choppers should be harder to maintain/repair to start with.

Whats wrong with giving groups something to go after? It means they're less likely roaming around other areas of the map killing smaller groups or solo players.

My main gripe with helicopters is simple - whoever has one, controls the map.

i don't really know what you mean with "control"

a helo landing is very visible, and no suprise attacks are possible when landing next to other players

also, helicopters are a great end-game which everyone had fun in the mod with

if they make them as hard to fly, or nearly as hard to fly, as in take on helicopters, i guess there would be way less "map controlling"

the only thing a helicopter is stupidly good at is finding camps in the middle of nowhere, they would need to fix the "trees without leafes from above" problem

i also don't think that you will be able to refuel a helicopter somewhere else but the airfield, afaik helicopters don't run on gas,

meaning you are very exposed to ambushes

in conclusion: they would need to make the helicopter way harder to maintain and operate, and also require very obvious refueling points (maybe only NWAF?), but i would really really miss them

• Like 1

I don't want helicopters in-game as long as the system is not rewamped so that you cannot look through forests and bushes when flying over them. Nothing is more frustrating than hiding a tent (in the mod) as good as you can, just to have it recognized within 2-3 hours by the always on duty helicopter bird eye patrol.

All that because of fooliage not rendering for them...

• Like 1

I don't want helicopters in-game as long as the system is not rewamped so that you cannot look through forests and bushes when flying over them. Nothing is more frustrating than hiding a tent (in the mod) as good as you can, just to have it recognized within 2-3 hours by the always on duty helicopter bird eye patrol.

All that because of fooliage not rendering for them...

That will never be fixed its a engine LOD problem.

this anti-mod sentiment is really annoying.

The mod had it's shortfalls. zombies hit thru walls at times. hackers were an issue. KoS was always a thing. But you know what? this thing evenyone heeps thumbing thier nose to "Arma With zombies" WENT VIRAL. People Loved it. and when SA was announced we hopped for a refined version with more of the same! Why cant we have LMGs? they worked fine in the MOD. Why cant we have realisitc weapon handling instead of crappy diserpsion and atachments? did fine in the MOD.

More and more the SA seems to want to strip all the FUN out of what we played, and instead give us Dean's forest survival sim 2014. taking away everything and making people hate to risk anything wont stop KoSing. if anything it makes trolling others by ruining thier day more rewarding for those who view it that way.

At the rate thier going they migh as well delete the entire map except for skalitsy island and make it L4D: Mele only addition.

DayZ is ARMA II WITH ZOMBIES. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD STAY. THATS WHAT MOD VETS FELL IN LOVE IWTH.

• Like 3

i dont want helis or cars, that go too fast in my dayz....

i want a Train!!!!!   they have rails! they should make Trains work^^   would be awesome

My signature is non-fiction.  So, yeah, I know what it's like to be too good for most people.  Helicopters?  Pfft.  Zero fucks given.

But seriously, spread the parts over multiple servers on a given hive, make clans work to get parts?  Do the same with vehicle parts.  Watching a helicopter be built would be more epic than watching the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj open.

And maybe I've just been drinking the Dev's Kool-Aid, but once a Helicopter goes up in a hive, and persistent loot is a thing, You're going to have a full server hunting it down.  

Just no. Please stop... [props for spelling though]

Also, spreading loot over different servers would kill server communities. 

Edited by FrostDMG

That will never be fixed its a engine LOD problem.

Exactly, therefore any flying vehicle - heli especially - will forever be painfully imba. 

Just no. Please stop... [props for spelling though]

Also, spreading loot over different servers would kill server communities. 

Dean has talked about loot actually being spread across the hives rather than servers. So once private hives get released they aren't necessarily bound by the loot restrictions of public server, which may only have 1-2 of a certain item across the board. Besides, groups can still send people to go get parts and then come back, it's not like they'd be forced to leave a server forever.

I'm running out of ways to get my point across. 

Have you ever played on a server with every vehicle (I do mean EVERY) safely stashed away in an admin camp? I have. You know what happens if you invade their camp and steal their vehicles? They get them all back within 30min-1hour depending if they're online.

Without helicopters, they would have to actually RISK their vehicles and gear going on the ground either driving through woods or walking. This would also take them plenty more time and give you the opportunity to hide the goods. This also gives normal players the opportunity to cap 'em bitches.

Once you get the heli you'll spend most of your time in the air since it's so damn fast and safe, only time you'll be on the ground to raid or stock up in your camp. 

Actually, they could do this only because admins have the ability to see all player and vehicle locations within their server's database. This issue would only surface if you were playing on a private server with abusive admins. The mod was flooded with those types of servers at one point. I was a very skilled pilot in the mod and could easily land in most places for quick evacuations\quick pickup for a player if needed, but I would say I tried to spend the least amount of time in the air as possible. Since tracking helicopters on foot is very easy once you get the hang of it, I considered all flight time a huge risk. I also understand people are upset, because the helicopters can have a great view of everything via 3rd person.....it's one of the the main reasons I don't play 3rd person.....if you catch my drift. 

• Like 1

I think the map is too little for helicopters.

• Like 2

I think the map is too little for helicopters.

Even atlis a huge map feels small when you are flying a helicopter.

There's no need to miss out on an entire feature of the game because the mod didn't do it very well. We don't need to say "NO" to helicopters, we need to say "YES" to more balanced helicopters.

No Mi-17, only heli's that can be damaged by small arms fire
High fuel consumption, not necessarily any more difficult to find a working one though
No weaponized heli's, which is up for debate i suppose, but they shouldn't really be armed. Unarmed helicopters make more sense anyway

When they get round to adding player camps, they'll probably make a way to conceal them from the skies (if heli's are in by then.) If your camp happens to be a campfire in the middle of the woods with a tent full of guns, you should expect helicopter pilots to be able to see it from miles off.

In my experience from the mod, I've not once been killed by guys in a helicopter, and i've shot down two. They don't give you incredible map control, i mean what do I care if some guy has finally managed to make his trips around the map not take hours, it usually doesn't affect me. When loot respawning is in, it probably won't matter at all. The smaller helicopters were giant flying "SHOOT ME!" signs, and you had to work hard to get one. I think they were fairly balanced already.

There's no need to miss out on an entire feature of the game because the mod didn't do it very well. We don't need to say "NO" to helicopters, we need to say "YES" to more balanced helicopters.

There is no way to have balanced helicopters if the reason they are broken and bad for gameplay is the fact that they fly.

The simple act of them flying is the reason why they dont need to be added.

There is no way to have balanced helicopters if the reason they are broken and bad for gameplay is the fact that they fly.

The simple act of them flying is the reason why they dont need to be added.

Not everyone considers the act of flight as "bad" for gameplay, "unbalanced," or undue.

Yes, helicopters flying is a fact. That act of flight being unbalanced is a subjective opinion.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Helicopters will be owned by the clan who runs the server plain and simple.  This was prevalent in the mod and it will happen again in the SA.  I personally don't think they actually fit in the setting at all.  

realism versus gameplay.

do you think having the itches from genital fungus affect your aiming would be more of an 'atmosphere'? because to be honest, thats what you get not changing your damp underwear for months.

i rather have helis than jock itch.

< My crotch is itching quite a lot now >

< My feet don't smell too good either >

• Like 1

I've ha a small bit of experience with choppers in the mod. Never was good at controlling them at first, and would crash before I had the chance to master the art of flying around in the zombie world. Granted, I tried out a bit of a practice in Arma to get more familiar with it, but still don't think I'd want to fly them too often.

That doesn't mean I don't want them in the game though. I'd love to see what they current team would do with them with a recreation and change, and hopefully sorting out the issues of being able to find things through trees so easily and so on. I've only had three or four run-ins with helicopters on the mod, but they're all so memorable. The first was on my first night, and while still getting to grips with the game with my friend, we ended up having to camp inside a firestation in Cherno when a heli flew in, landed and then the pilot proceeded to start sniping on the only other guy on the server at the time. Sitting there for about 20 minutes afraid to leave in case he's spot us from his vantage point is probably the exact point I knew the concept of DayZ was for me.

In the span of my first few hours I'd experienced the thrills of searching a new land, hunting, scavenging, stealth gameplay, not trusting anyone even the person trying to help us who got shot on in the end and then that feeling of having to hide from someone so well kitted that we basically stood no chance so it was best to hang back, wait for him to get bored or kill the other guy, then move on.

I love the current SA experience, but helicopters can still add to it. And I'm sure if they do get added, the team can iron out a lot of the kinks that understandably annoy people. Plus I imagine they would be kept so rare that it would be more likely to be at most a weekly-monthly meeting with a helicopter, if on the right servers, rather than every moment of every day being tormented by a chopper and having no chance to find anything above a screwdriver or something like that. I like a widened scope of adventures to tell tales from, which is what takes the mod and what the SA can be above so many other games.

more like no

if 

super super rare, and atleast 10 people needed for all the crafting, fueling and so on