Irish.

Would you like spawn points spread out?

Spawn points spread out?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the player spawn points to be spread out more?

• Yes.
    • No, keep them centralized for more action.

I'de like to see places to the North/North-West have spawn points put in, because I find it ridiculous that my team and I, can travel from NWAF > Vybor > Green Mnt. > Zelenogorsk > Papalova > Balota > Cherno and even Elektro now and maybe see three people on our journies, and then BAM as soon as we get closer to Berezino, it's like a nuke went off and every bush/window/tree has eyes, lol....

See, this is the extreme that everyone jumps to. I don't want people spawning in the north, ever. For a variety of very real and pragmatic gameplay reasons (i.e. getting relatively easy access to high-end loot, getting a posturing advantage on potential player storage, etc.)

Forced mobility via spawn points doesn't work, it still devolves into deathmatching (see Overwatch). Mobility needs to be encouraged via demand (loot and survival needs) and ambition (fortresses, vehicles, storage).

Spreading folks out along the coast, rather than just spawning people near Berezino... in addition to removing or limiting the loot spawns at Balota... in addition to tweaking the overall loot bias inland... in addition to increasing the zombie densities around major cities... will encourage folks to be more mobile in a much more natural manner than just spreading them across the map like butter on bread.

• Like 1

Agreed on all of it..

I think they should just take the C-130.. and have it so its crashed through the tent city and into the barracks area at Balota, wiping all of them out. Have maybe 2 tents left standing, no barracks and just the jails/ATC/hangers and a huge debris field with a crashed C-130 amongst a mass of debris from the barracks. 

Or just scrap their original damn idea and make Balota a small airport with 2 hangers, 1 ATC and nothing else. At all. 

That would be pretty sweet!

I would honestly LOVE for them to spread out the spawn points so that the entire map gets seen, far too many people will run to a good loot spot, such as NWAF/NEAF or Balota, loot up and get fully kitted, then go to the "Hotspot" and PVP till they either run out of ammo, or get themselves killed.

I'de like to see places to the North/North-West have spawn points put in, because I find it ridiculous that my team and I, can travel from NWAF > Vybor > Green Mnt. > Zelenogorsk > Papalova > Balota > Cherno and even Elektro now and maybe see three people on our journies, and then BAM as soon as we get closer to Berezino, it's like a nuke went off and every bush/window/tree has eyes, lol....

This is all on a 40/40 person server, It really saddens me to see all the work they put into this game for only a handful of zones getting any sort of action or visitors...

The big reason for this is though, that people absolutely REFUSE to PVP where they can't simply respawn and get back to their body within the 10 minute marker, ect.

The main reason is there's nothing to do but pvp so why go further than you need to currently.  And they stupidly decided to cram 80% of the spawns into a corner of the map, which just makes it even more convenient to play deathmatch mode.  First it was balota, then it was elektro and now it's the NE.  Honestly, if they add some higher end weapons and make them exclusive to say, the nwaf, you'll see traffic return.  I'm hoping they do that with the SVD, and while it doesn't really make sense for the AKM maybe they should even do that temporarily as well.  Ultimately it'd be sorta nice if all the military bases have a chance of spawning higher end weaponry/gear but that some are particularly known for a higher chance at certain items.  Once light machine guns and more sniper rifles and that sort of thing get put in I hope they go that route.

I've said it before but spawns are as much a part of balance as anything else and I really think they should do the minimal amount of fucking with spawns until the game is actually more complete.  Let's say tents/base building gets added, but you introduce random spawns around the entire map.  Good bye to all the ideal hiding spots because now that spot may possibly just be a spawn point now.  Likewise, let's say a spawn gets added to the NWAF.  Say good bye to any meaningful squad fights when you have new spawns just popping up randomly on the airfield from there on out.

Travelling the map and exploring it are a big part of the game, so tossing people all willy nilly through out just destroys a lot of that and turns it into even more of "oh did I get a lucky spawn? no? ok suicide time."

See, this is the extreme that everyone jumps to. I don't want people spawning in the north, ever. For a variety of very real and pragmatic gameplay reasons (i.e. getting relatively easy access to high-end loot, getting a posturing advantage on potential player storage, etc.)

Forced mobility via spawn points doesn't work, it still devolves into deathmatching (see Overwatch). Mobility needs to be encouraged via demand (loot and survival needs) and ambition (fortresses, vehicles, storage).

Spreading folks out along the coast, rather than just spawning people near Berezino... in addition to removing or limiting the loot spawns at Balota... in addition to tweaking the overall loot bias inland... in addition to increasing the zombie densities around major cities... will encourage folks to be more mobile in a much more natural manner than just spreading them across the map like butter on bread.

This, exactly.  You can't force people to use the map, you have to give them incentive.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I didn't mean to have the Spawn points be smack dab right into NWAF or any other as people refer to them as "High-end Loot" areas, it just annoys me that I can travel 75% of the map and see nobody and then get to the new "Hotspot" and everyone crammed there because their too frightened to fight anywhere they can't simply run back to. Oh, and people who say "Ohh there's nothing to do besides PVP", are extremely narrow minded, and are just trying to justify them gunning people down, because of the lack of content....

Eh I don't think it's narrow minded.  I've been playing DayZ for almost 2 years now, and when you wade through the bullshit there's not a lot of substance left.  I do plenty of goofing off that doesn't involve pvp, but actual game content wise there's currently looting items and then killing people or zombies.  Obviously there's not much fun to be had killing zombies, you can only loot so much, so the end result is pvp.

I understand there's plenty of people who don't play to pvp and that's fine, but that is the state of the game for the majority of players.

Again, it's not that people are too scared to fight away from the spawns, it's that there's no real incentive to do so.  Why should I go fight in that 75% of the map?  What am I fighting over there?  In the mod it was loot.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Eh I don't think it's narrow minded.  I've been playing DayZ for almost 2 years now, and when you wade through the bullshit there's not a lot of substance left.  I do plenty of goofing off that doesn't involve pvp, but actual game content wise there's currently looting items and then killing people or zombies.  Obviously there's not much fun to be had killing zombies, you can only loot so much, so the end result is pvp.

I understand there's plenty of people who don't play to pvp and that's fine, but that is the state of the game for the majority of players.

Again, it's not that people are too scared to fight away from the spawns, it's that there's no real incentive to do so.  Why should I go fight in that 75% of the map?  What am I fighting over there?  In the mod it was loot.

True, and I didn't mean to start a fight, it's just that the majority of people who say, "There's not much to do, beyond PVP", are the people who have explored a minimal portion of the map, just enough to get geared and then say, "Well that was nice, I'm bored, I'm going to go PVP".

But there has to be some reason that people gravitate towards one are and only that area will they PVP, and I believe that they are scared, I mean when there where spawns in Kamy/Elektro and heck even sometimes in Cherno, people would PVP in Elektro, now since those spawns no longer exist and the majority of them now being in/around Berezino people PVP there, hence my reasoning to why people are frightened to PVP anywhere outside of the central "Hub" of spawn points.

That would be pretty sweet!

The main reason is there's nothing to do but pvp so why go further than you need to currently.  And they stupidly decided to cram 80% of the spawns into a corner of the map, which just makes it even more convenient to play deathmatch mode.  First it was balota, then it was elektro and now it's the NE.  Honestly, if they add some higher end weapons and make them exclusive to say, the nwaf, you'll see traffic return.  I'm hoping they do that with the SVD, and while it doesn't really make sense for the AKM maybe they should even do that temporarily as well.  Ultimately it'd be sorta nice if all the military bases have a chance of spawning higher end weaponry/gear but that some are particularly known for a higher chance at certain items.  Once light machine guns and more sniper rifles and that sort of thing get put in I hope they go that route.

I've said it before but spawns are as much a part of balance as anything else and I really think they should do the minimal amount of fucking with spawns until the game is actually more complete.  Let's say tents/base building gets added, but you introduce random spawns around the entire map.  Good bye to all the ideal hiding spots because now that spot may possibly just be a spawn point now.  Likewise, let's say a spawn gets added to the NWAF.  Say good bye to any meaningful squad fights when you have new spawns just popping up randomly on the airfield from there on out.

Travelling the map and exploring it are a big part of the game, so tossing people all willy nilly through out just destroys a lot of that and turns it into even more of "oh did I get a lucky spawn? no? ok suicide time."

This, exactly.  You can't force people to use the map, you have to give them incentive.

I agree with a fair bit of this, but let's be honest, there are a lot of ways in which the developers could spread spawn points out across the map and not have them land in a player created tent city that wouldn't revolve around some sort of hyper complicated coding that looks for player created buildings or player signatures or whatever. It'd be easy to increase spawns by putting people in/near cities and towns across the map, or in the woods immediately outside of them, or in the fields near the Sobors/Vybor. That keeps players spread out, and increases immersion because you're dropped somewhere without an easy and reliable way to figure out where you are if you're new (Keep the beach on your right to go East/North, or left to go South/West). I've said it before and I hold to it, that navigation should be just as important a part in this game as zombie/player interaction and looking for gear/food. As it is now, it's stupidly easy for anyone to figure out where they are by opening up the Dayzdb map and look for clues based on the water, coast line, and railroad position compared to the road. It's not terribly difficult to do that if you're dropped inland, but it's definitely harder.

And as far as people complaining about freshies getting dropped in near NWAF or whatever, I really don't have a problem with that. If you increase the number of spawn points to something like 50 let's say, you only have a 2% chance of getting spawned in near that area, and then you have to hope that no one is there when you spawn in so that you can loot the place. Constant respawning can, one would presume, be fixed relatively easily by adding a countdown after every time you suicide. The first time you do it within a 7 day period for example, would have a 30 sec timer, the second would have a 120 sec timer, then 300, then 600, then 1200, 2400, etc. If people want to wait for 40+minutes to get to a good spawn point then let them, it takes 40 minutes to run across the map, so at that point other people aren't affected anymore than they would have been if the person in question had just spawned normally.

I'm really not a fan of having freshies spawn on the beach every time, because it doesn't make sense to me at all. It's the middle of a zombie apocalypse, and everyone is down at the beach working on a tan? I've seen 1 person say it's a part of the lore, that you're some sort of shipwreck survivor, or something, but I haven't seen anything in an official capacity saying that's the case.

And like every other poll, this will be totally ignored by the developers. I wonder why they don't have votes in the DayZ client. When you open the game, it could ask you a quick question, you could vote and you got your million votes for the subject matter.

• Like 1

I honesty think spawns should be completely random on the map as long as there is a city/town somewhat close simply for needing loot for survival at this point. (you can't survive off berries as it stands).

I voted spread out, but by spread out I mean along the coast.  I don't care for inland spawns for multiple reasons, at least not in the current state of the game.  The major ones being that having you spawn on the coast and potentially (once loot tables/respawn are sorted) head inland for higher end loot, then return to the coast for action provides for good map flow as in the case of the mod.  I also don't care for inland spawns because it just increases the chances of having people spawn in behind you, or near your base once that gets implemented.

So yes to spread out spawns, but along the coast.  Honestly I'd like a return to the original spawns, with potentially some of the new northerly ones (shipwreck area is is fine).

I think loot tables should be adjusted at balota to solve that issue, and that it was a mistake to begin with to turn it into what it is and the devs have just been trying to bandaid a problem this entire time with altering spawns rather than addressing the source.

None of that makes sense I am sorry. You say currently it provides good map flow? You can't be serious, 85% of map is almost completely vacant of life. In 400+ hrs I can literally count on one hand how many people I have encounted more than 1.5km out from the coast, that is quite frankly shit. There should be engagements all over the map not this BS of one or two hotspots. Elektro, NEAF is getting old real fast. It also wouldn't be hard to have a mechanism so that you couldn't spawn within 500 metres of a player or base, pretty simple stuff really.

Edited by NexVentor
  • Like 1

None of that makes sense I am sorry. You say currently it provides good map flow? You can't be serious, 85% of map is almost completely vacant of life. In 400+ hrs I can literally count on one hand how many people I have encounted more than 1.5km out from the coast, that is quite frankly shit. There should be engagements all over the map not this BS of one or two hotspots. Elektro, NEAF is getting old real fast. It also wouldn't be hard to have a mechanism so that you couldn't spawn within 500 metres of a player or base, pretty simple stuff really.

I said the mod had good map flow, not the SA.

The mod had a lot of empty space as well, but it was more common to have people hit routes such as elektro to stary to nwaf to neaf back to the coast etc.  The SA provides no real incentive to go inland currently in comparison.  In the mod, the nwaf was the predominant place to gain high end weaponry, and the only place to get some items like satchel charges or rocket launchers (which were both very rare).

Heli crashes were also a nice way to get people to move around the map.  Would be nice if those made some sort of return.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I said the mod had good map flow, not the SA.

The mod had a lot of empty space as well, but it was more common to have people hit routes such as elektro to stary to nwaf to neaf back to the coast etc.  

This is not the mod and can't be compared as such as there are a lot more spread out high profile loot spawns in SA, also Starry is nothing in SA so there is no point comparing the two. It is just ridiculous too.

The SA provides no real incentive to go inland currently in comparison.  

Exactly... because of the spawns and your suggestion to keep them on the coast only perpetuates that.

In the mod, the nwaf was the predominant place to gain high end weaponry, and the only place to get some items like satchel charges or rocket launchers (which were both very rare).

Heli crashes were also a nice way to get people to move around the map.  Would be nice if those made some sort of return.

What has this got to do with spawns? Yes heli crashes would be nice but then once everyone has their loot they head back to the Elektro... YAWN!

Two types of servers- one for random spawning and a more survival focused game, and a second for those that want coastal spawning and PvP ragers. Choice is good. 

Or, spawn zombie numbers relative to that town's former population. That would make it a bit more difficult for a clan to take over a town. Try joy killing fresh spawns with 100 zombies bearing down on you. Heh.

• Like 1

I really am not sure what you're trying to argue NexVentor.  I'm talking about map flow as it pertains to spawns, and I'm advocating a return to what worked well in the mod.  The map has been altered, they can either adjust their change of making Balota a high loot area (this is the source of all the spawn changes, the devs have said so themselves) or change the map flow completely.  The mod is extremely relevant as it's still the same map, just with alterations and provides a good basis to start from.

A discussion about spawn points without considering map flow or its affects on game balance in general is pointless as they are intertwined.

I just watched a stream by Hicks today which made it pretty clear they have no intention of changing Balota, and that they are happy with current spawns.  They want you to spawn on the east coast, and make your way "inland" to the NWAF and Balota.  I personally wouldn't consider balota to be "inland" in a technical sense, but I suppose from the viewpoint of starting on the east it's not entirely inaccurate.  It's obvious they are considering map flow, even if I disagree and believe starting everyone in a smaller location is a bad idea the concept is still the same.  You spawn on one side of the map and move to the other for higher end gear.

I think that can work, but I think the end result is a lot more condensed spawning which just leads to more of a clusterfuck for people spawning as it creates an artificial hotspot.  Hicks is constantly saying there's actually more spawn points now, but what he fails to realize is that even if that's true they are in a smaller area.

Throwing people around the entire map randomly is the most artificial means possible of forcing players to use more of the map and has huge implications when base building becomes a thing, regardless of if you put a system in place of not allowing spawns to be near camps.  The map is not as big as people seem to think it is.  When base building and all that gets implemented, do you really want people spawning effectively outside your door?  500m is nothing, it's not even the length of the neaf.

Honestly I think most of the people advocating spawns around the entire map are just unfamiliar with the map to begin with and don't realize just how small it actually is.  I often see one of the major reasons for the approach that it will force people to learn to navigate and disorientate players.  This is extremely short sighted as most people who have been playing for a significant period of time are capable of figuring out where they are almost immediately.  The result is still suiciding for a better spawn, and a higher likelihood of getting one closer to some major loot locations.

The map in the SA and in the mod are the exact same dimensions, the difference is there is more usable space in the SA.

Edited by Bororm

Spawning should be possible everywhere that is more then a kilometer away from a house, and more then 4 kilometers away from where you died

i want my old berezino back, now new berezino is zelenogorsk and elektro is... well its dead, really

with berezino being the new elektro of course

as long as there is ANY concentration of spawnpoints, there will be a major deathmatch area, especially with all the mike tyson's out there knocking you out in two swift swings, because you can just run back to your dead former self, or know almost exactly where your enemies still are, which is so absolutely stupid meta game it's not funny anymore

Edited by Zombo

Random Spawns along the south and rare spawns on the east please. I think the south west corner is a fairer and more fun spawn. More to explore etc. Most spawns should be right in the South West in my opinion, a few in South East by Stalistkey, and the rare very rare spawn should be Berezino.

I'd support spawns anywhere on the map, with alot of spawns in alot of places to reduce suiciding. It would make the whole map a lot scarier knowing that even if your in Zeleno (which is always dead whenever I go there) there could be a barely surviving bambi just ready to put a hatchet through my skull. At the moment if I want some human interaction I need to go NE. I'd be happy for the whole coast, but It would be great to set up spawns in about 3/4 of the map (Except NW, people will go there anyway). This would randomise where people interact, encourage travelling more and stop people camping out in the regular places for bambi kills. It'd feel a bit more realistic, rather than knowing that the party is always (currently) at Berezino.

I still think the game needs a completely randomized spawn system.

Every time you spawn you get a completely new spawn.

A procedural spawn system that could spawn you right next to the barracks in the north west or in the middle of nowhere and it is up to you to figure out where you are.

• Like 1

Would be quite easy too.

chernarus_big_hq.jpg

Break the entire map into very small grids and in each grid give it a unique number and letter.

Then exclude any number and letter that contains a building and a body of water in it so you cannot spawn within a building  but spawning right outside is completely fine.

Then assign a random number generator that determines your spawn location.

With such a system in place you would never spawn in the same place twice throughout your playing career.

• Like 2

Yes, spawning in berezino 12 times in a row on a 40 pop server isn't a pleasant experience..

How did you manage not to have fun in between ?

Iam all for random spawns ALLOVER the damm place.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

I'd PREFER spawning in the wilderness. First place I head to anyway.

Want real relief? Find a SINGLE can of peaches in a tiny village after wandering in the wilds for over an hour.

• Like 2

Spawning should be 100% random anywhere on the map. ANYWHERE.

• Like 3

Yes, With conditions.

I dont want to spawn in the woods, unable to see the sky line or anything to determine my position or relative direction. spawns should be possible in proximity to ANY city on the map, but complete wilderness so i can wander aimlessly before dieing of thrist near the edge of the map? no thanks. pure frustration there. randomizing it to any city/town prevents you being able to reliably loot your own body and keeps people traversing the entire map while still giving you some landmark (the nearby village or city) to help you orient youraself by.

*PS been up for 20 hrs and ver much bere sorry for speelling.

The sad part of the answer to this question is that folks are just gonna keep spawning & committing suicide until they get to where they want to be or recognize where they are.No matter where the spawns are located.Someone else voiced the laziness of players currently too.Most of the exploits within the current status of the game enables so many folks to take the easy way (out) to get things done and so,they become reliant on  those exploits that they don't really learn the game the way it was intended to be played,IMHO.Overall,I think that random spawn points would help the player to become more and more familiar with overall map.So yes, I am for more spread out points.

• Like 1

The sad part of the answer to this question is that folks are just gonna keep spawning & committing suicide until they get to where they want to be or recognize where they are.No matter where the spawns are located.Someone else voiced the laziness of players currently too.Most of the exploits within the current status of the game enables so many folks to take the easy way (out) to get things done and so,they become reliant on  those exploits that they don't really learn the game the way it was intended to be played,IMHO.Overall,I think that random spawn points would help the player to become more and more familiar with overall map.So yes, I am for more spread out points.

With completely randomized spawning suicides will be slowed to a crawl.

They would need to travel to find a suitable location to suicide from meanwhile now you usually know where you spawn and where you can suicide quickly.

• Like 1

Right now, we only need 2 spawn points:

NWAF runway

Berezino town centre

Edited by alphadogmeat