gibonez

What dayz could have been without zombies

I will hardly ever support anything that does not involve the undead. It would honestly be probably even be more PVP based sadly than what it is now and there are PLENTY of horrible and not horrible games that support this kind of thing. One horrible one i can think of is Defiance. Yep i went there lol......

This guy gets it. This is what post apocalyptic world would be like, this is what looking for food means and how precious one peanut found on a dusty table could be.

I just imagine scenarios where people are desperate and hungry letting their guard down looting a super market and building when then boom.

You come across a player but both of you had their guard down the tension the suspense and the anxiety in such a situation is impossible in dayz due to people always having to be on edge in cities.

They have to be on edge because of the janky zombies .

I will hardly ever support anything that does not involve the undead. It would honestly be probably even be more PVP based sadly than what it is now and there are PLENTY of horrible and not horrible games that support this kind of thing. One horrible one i can think of is Defiance. Yep i went there lol......

go watch the road if you havent already believe its on netflix right now.

go watch the road if you havent already believe its on netflix right now.

You will agree with me though that Defiance was a piss poor apocalypse attempt though yes? lol

Have you invented time travel without telling us? Shame on you.

Didn't you know? I'm a Time Lord   :)  I just happen to be in Chernarus

Edited by TheDoctorInDayz
  • Like 1

This would be the great part.

without zombies taking up huge resources they can focus on increasing the player count and making the game far smoother.

Imagine dayz where the netcode and hit detection is silky smooth each time all because there are no janky zombies wasting resources.

Imagine having a game of dayz where you get good performance and can crank up the view distance due to less strain .

Imagine dayz where there are 150 players on the server each trying their best to survive and most of the deaths are due to the environment.

Yea a more survival focused game . Where every bullet is valuable and every encounter is extremely scary just like the road.

They can achieve that with a far more realistic health and disease system. They could also make crafting an almost essential thing to survive such as needing to build camp fires or shelter to survive the extreme cold in the nights. could work well with an accelerated day and night cycle like rust where day is about 3 to 4 times longer than night but night is super scary if you dont make it home in time.

Gibonez, I do not think i ever agreed with anything you ever said.

but there is a first to everything.

have my beans 

You will agree with me though that Defiance was a piss poor apocalypse attempt though yes? lol

Cant say man never played it.

Gibonez, I do not think i ever agreed with anything you ever said.

but there is a first to everything.

have my beans 

Great XD

Without zombies, mutants, apocalyptic weather conditions or nuclear fallout...where would be the apocalypse fun...you could live peacefully as a mountain man, farmer or fisherman....no need for cannibalism as long as deer and boars roaming the woods...no need for fighting for water  also...only interesting thing would be attacking the neighbour village from time to time...

Would play.

Would play much.

Would hang looters at will.

P.s. we should be able to hang corpses in DayZ?

Hell, we should be able to hang living people as well. Bullets are expensive, rope is cheap.

Without zombies, mutants, apocalyptic weather conditions or nuclear fallout...where would be the apocalypse fun...you could live peacefully as a mountain man, farmer or fisherman....no need for cannibalism as long as deer and boars roaming the woods...no need for fighting for water  also...only interesting thing would be attacking the neighbour village from time to time...

Uh, yeah? That is what would happen in the event of total societal collapse....it would rebuild. 

I, personally, find the notion of the rebuilding of society far far far more interesting (and fun) than the actual collapse. The collapse is boring, almost trite; society falls apart, everyone starts burning, raping and pillaging, the fall of man, the inner darkness in us all, yadda yadda yadda. However, I want to see, to be a part of, the new dawn of mankind. 

To see when people stop hurting each other, to see someone offer a hand up instead of a bullet or a club. To see new nations rise up against the darkness that overtook the planet, to see what shapes these new groups hold, what values they espouse...

yes, I am an optimist, and incredibly embarrassed that I just revealed that  :blush:

How are zombies a "Gimmick" when it's a zombie survival game??

LOL, DayZ a zombie survival game. They can label it as such until their fingers bleed, but it sure as hell ain't.

• Like 2

I can imagine more empty servers ahhhhhh just imagine a whole community just leaving the game thats quite literally built on a foundation that was a zombie mod for Arma. I think we have seen many sorts of shitty zombies/infected in the Alpha so far but they are an environmental hazard. They are the most dangerous environmental hazard because they give away positions,distract players, and generally injure players. They are a dynamic threat and will be more so when we see different kinds of infected/zombies and when they are more developed. I see the possibility of hordes and night time advantage of the infected as being very dangerous for players.   Needless to say the Zeds are not going anywhere its a matter of how they end up finally being implemented that I am looking forward too. PVP is great but its not the biggest or most important aspect of DayZ. Considering the majority of the time we play this game it is PVE. PVP interaction is important but not as much as the base meta game of surviving in a Zed filled apocalypse. Long live the zeds and our dark lord Hoxton ,may he grant us the dark powers  so that we may triumph.

Edited by Canned Muffins

Considering the majority of the time we play this game it is PVE. PVP interaction is important but not as much as the base meta game of surviving in a Zed filled apocalypse.

I am pretty sure that this is an incorrect statement considering where the game is at this point.

I can imagine more empty servers ahhhhhh just imagine a whole community just leaving the game thats quite literally built on a foundation that was a zombie mod for Arma. I think we have seen many sorts of shitty zombies/infected in the Alpha so far but they are an environmental hazard. They are the most dangerous environmental hazard because they give away positions,distract players, and generally injure players. They are a dynamic threat and will be more so when we see different kinds of infected/zombies and when they are more developed. I see the possibility of hordes and night time advantage of the infected as being very dangerous for players.   Needless to say the Zeds are not going anywhere its a matter of how they end up finally being implemented that I am looking forward too. PVP is great but its not the biggest or most important aspect of DayZ. Considering the majority of the time we play this game it is PVE. PVP interaction is important but not as much as the base meta game of surviving in a Zed filled apocalypse. Long live the zeds and our dark lord Hoxton ,may he grant us the dark powers  so that we may triumph.

Dude the mod and stand alone have never ever been pve.

It has always and will always be PVP focused. The zombies were just filler.

• Like 2

Zombies have always been just an annoyance. Minimal danger. They've just been previously used as a tool to see if anyone's in towns and now to help spot other players who get aggro.

I don't have any memorable moments that involve zombies. Everything important and fun has involved other players. I've never had a memorable moment fending off a horde of zombies, they've just been an annoyance until I get the glitchy bastards to fuck off.

So the zombies are mostly pointless and annoying scenery. Should they remove them? Well right now alpha would be better off without them. But fixing broken zombies is what alpha is for.

For better or worse it's not really DayZ without the zombies, but for me the game would be fine with or without the zeds. I didn't start playing the mod because it had zombies, it was because it had bandits.

Edit: And you know what, for a terrifying zombie experience, the Dynamic Zombie Sandbox mission was far superior.

Far superior.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

Zombies have always been just an annoyance. Minimal danger. They've just been previously used as a tool to see if anyone's in towns and now to help spot other players who get aggro.

I don't have any memorable moments that involve zombies. Everything important and fun has involved other players. I've never had a memorable moment fending off a horde of zombies, they've just been an annoyance until I get the glitchy bastards to fuck off.

So the zombies are mostly pointless and annoying scenery. Should they remove them? Well right now alpha would be better off without them. But fixing broken zombies is what alpha is for.

For better or worse it's not really DayZ without the zombies, but for me the game would be fine with or without the zeds. I didn't start playing the mod because it had zombies, it was because it had bandits.

Edit: And you know what, for a terrifying zombie experience, the Dynamic Zombie Sandbox mission was far superior.

Far superior.

Agree on all points.

Slim chance of them removing zombies in the alpha though.

If they did people would end up loving the lack of janky zombies and would now be experiencing a whole new game then when zombies are readded everyone would complain and want them removed again.

• Like 1

You can remove zombies to your hearts content when they enable modding.  Until then they are in this game for good. And for the better in my opinion.

• Like 3

Oh I was not aware that DayZ had finished being completed.

Hey Ho, I had best install it now its done.  I have been waiting patiently for a few month now.

Oh wait?  Its not finished you say.  I had best be a patient little boy and wait for the goodies.  To hell with other games, I dont need "others" as they are worse than the DayZ Alpha.

I agree; a realistic post-apocalypic game would be excellent.

I feel Dayz once complete should be near enough that. Cant see what the screenies up there have to do with having no zombie, its just Dayz with a different look. If Dayz doesn't deliver however to the level some people expect then it will be time for modders to pick it up and make it that game you want.

Now i would defo play that mod!

As for zombies, well the main problem in DayZ is there aren't enough of them! I want to be out in the middle of nowhere and come across a horde that will literally make me shit myself! I want to be able to barricade myself into a house whilst i have 20 zombies outside waiting to get me, i want to feel that panic that i could be stuck in that house for hours! We are yet to see this in game, when we do i think people will then realise we have a real, proper, zombie survival game in our hands.

Oh I was not aware that DayZ had finished being completed.

Hey Ho, I had best install it now its done.  I have been waiting patiently for a few month now.

Oh wait?  Its not finished you say.  I had best be a patient little boy and wait for the goodies.  To hell with other games, I dont need "others" as they are worse than the DayZ Alpha.

If it is finished or not does not matter it will still have zombies in the end. Unless they completely change the name of the game and focus on survival something I will admit would welcome.

I feel Dayz once complete should be near enough that. Cant see what the screenies up there have to do with having no zombie, its just Dayz with a different look. If Dayz doesn't deliver however to the level some people expect then it will be time for modders to pick it up and make it that game you want.

Absolutely this is where I see the wonderful modding community taking over.

A mod team is sure to make survival the pivital gameplay element in a mod for dayz.

If anyone has ever played Skyrim there is a mod called Frost fall combined with hunterborn and realistic needs and disease

These 3 mods turn skyrim into an instense mod that makes strides to emulate survival. It completely changes the dynamics of the game , you can freeze to death, you can catch hypothermia you need to eat and rest, you need medicine to fight disease.

A mod for dayz could take this and take it to a whole different level making survival be the main feature of the mod.

Now i would defo play that mod!

As for zombies, well the main problem in DayZ is there aren't enough of them! I want to be out in the middle of nowhere and come across a horde that will literally make me shit myself! I want to be able to barricade myself into a house whilst i have 20 zombies outside waiting to get me, i want to feel that panic that i could be stuck in that house for hours! We are yet to see this in game, when we do i think people will then realise we have a real, proper, zombie survival game in our hands.

Even if there were thousands of them what exactly do zombies add ? aside from frustration and annoyance ?

There could be lots of things.

My firm belief is that the Environment itself should be the most dangerous thing in a survial game.

Imagine a game where a deadly pandemic killed 90 percent of the world.

The lack of law and order caused people to loot murder and pillage. Food sources went scarce.

People resulted to cannibalism , and murdering and stealing just to survive.

This to me is far scarier and better than ......... zombies the most tired and gimmicky thing in gaming and media soo daam corny man.

But this was the first game I ever knew of that used a stealth approach to zombies, firing your gun would make you hear them thus making it harder for people to just shoot eachother on sight because a whole horde of zombies would get onto you. That was the intended design I believe, kind of took the cliche zombies and gave them more of a purpose other than being NPC enemies.

But this was the first game I ever knew of that used a stealth approach to zombies, firing your gun would make you hear them thus making it harder for people to just shoot eachother on sight because a whole horde of zombies would get onto you. That was the intended design I believe, kind of took the cliche zombies and gave them more of a purpose other than being NPC enemies.

If you have a enough firepower, which isn't hard to get in this game, zombies don't stop you from doing squat.

Hell even doing nothing will have zombies comming at you from clip plane anyway.

Edited by gwartham

true but stealth flies right out of the window when players can use the sight of zombies to know a player is in the area.

Not to mention zombie agro to direct them straight to a player.

People are spending all of this time making actual rebuttals to gibonez' statement.

In all truth, though, we don't need to.

We're playing DayZ, not "Day". Getting rid of zombies or pondering what it would've been like without them is pointless.

• Like 2