gibonez

What dayz could have been without zombies

I am actually quite surprised at how many people here dislike zombies.

You shouldn't be. Many many people on these forums are PvP nuts, their only goal playing DayZ is to "win". Zombies, glitchy or not get in the way of straight PvP. So, of course there are people who want their only obstacle in the way of "winning" to be successfully getting the jump on whoever they're trying to kill. That is what you're seeing here, people who treat DayZ as a big slow death match and would rather not have zombies interfering in that.

You shouldn't be. Many many people on these forums are PvP nuts, their only goal playing DayZ is to "win". Zombies, glitchy or not get in the way of straight PvP. So, of course there are people who want their only obstacle in the way of "winning" to be successfully getting the jump on whoever they're trying to kill. That is what you're seeing here, people who treat DayZ as a big slow death match and would rather not have zombies interfering in that.

Heh little do they know is if I had my way waiting to get the jump on someone would be even harder due to having to constantly monitor and care for your character.

- Lay prone too long in a hill when there is high wind and it is cold your character begins to shake like crazy and you need to make a camp fire or put on warmer clothing to stop it.

- Go too long without eating and your vision begins to blur do to malnurishment

- Do not drink enough water and during long sprints your character just stops and a pain animation plays showing your character in pain from the cramps he receives.

I could go on and on .

Heh little do they know is if I had my way waiting to get the jump on someone would be even harder due to having to constantly monitor and care for your character.

- Lay prone too long in a hill when there is high wind and it is cold your character begins to shake like crazy and you need to make a camp fire or put on warmer clothing to stop it.

- Do not drink enough water and during long sprints your character just stops and a pain animation plays showing your character in pain from the cramps he receives.

I could go on and on .

Most of the hills people camp on are relatively low to the ground, or are sheltered by trees.

Granted, attitude temperatures would be an awesome feature, especially if they made some larger mountainous terrain to the north or west. Not sure about the random cramp animation, but having more effects to starvation/dehydration then just dying when you run out would be cool.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I could go on and on .

and when all those needs are met then what? I mean, how unrealistically fragile would you have to make your character for survival itself to be the only enemy on a map that is obviously a temperate climate and is crammed with former cities for shelter? That has plenty of wells, ponds, streams and eventually wildlife to supply all your food/hunger needs. Hell, by the look of the grass and foliage Cherno looks absolutely lovely to camp in.

What your missing here is why on Earth would a place like Cherno suddenly go all Blade Runner if everyone just died. There would be no scarcity at all, no lack of resources causing conflict. Unless you drastically altered the map to be a completely different environment, removed most if not all of the cities, removed hunting, gathering berries and drinking from streams, survival alone isn't going to cut it as compelling game play. Seriously think about Cherno without zombies for a moment and tell how in gods name that'd be a difficult ordeal? Step one: Find one of hundreds of houses for shelter. Step two: Find a water source, there are streams and ponds everywhere so not too hard.. Step three: Find a food source. Could be hard, if you made it unrealistic. But a place like Cherno would have more animals to kill and eat than anyone would need and tons and tons of houses, stores and misc buildings to freely loot.

What your missing here is why on Earth would a place like Cherno suddenly go all Blade Runner if everyone just died. There would be no scarcity at all, no lack of resources causing conflict. Unless you drastically altered the map to be a completely different environment, removed most if not all of the cities, removed hunting, gathering berries and drinking from streams, survival alone isn't going to cut it as compelling game play. Seriously think about Cherno without zombies for a moment and tell how in gods name that'd be a difficult ordeal? Step one: Find one of hundreds of houses for shelter. Step two: Find a water source, there are streams and ponds everywhere so not too hard.. Step three: Find a food source. Could be hard, if you made it unrealistic. But a place like Cherno would have more animals to kill and eat than anyone would need and tons and tons of houses, stores and misc buildings to freely loot.

Well sure they can go with a totally new looking chenarus that is devoid of abundance and looks nothing like the calm cherno of now.

I just imagine a scenario where say a massive global pandemic were to hit a pandemic that wipes out 99 percent of the globe.

When that 1 percent is left when there is no rule of law I can easily imagine peoples true humanity coming out and by humanity I mean the monster inside. People would rape pillage , loot and murder.

The land would become a constant struggle between factions who constantly wage war against each other for control of especially fertile land.

They could always make animals scarce and justify it by saying there was over hunting and fishing leaving few wild game and many of the past species extinct.

LOL sounds like a terrible idea to me i mean half the survival things you mention will or they want to be in Dayz the others will be over the top un realistic weakening of the human body to make it hard( or making it in a totally different enviroment because even someone with little to no sense in staying alive wouldnt have to many troubles surviving in cherno with no zeds...

Your never going to stop pvp in a game and you shouldnt try but you should limit it or make it interesting and well zeds when they work will do that in your open fresh apoc world it will be a battle of bordem waiting for the next soul to shoot ( or maybe with no zeds you can up human pop and it can turn into a frantic wide scale death match ) you think its a fresh new idea and no one has done it yet ( done plenty in movies but they can make it interesting with plot) maybe thats because from a game view it sucks balls..

As mentioned most of the supporters you have gotten are PvP nuts and the other half are just new comers to dayz and are pissed cause zeds are currently crap , yeah i said it as they stand there crap but thats not how they are staying i have hopes they will make them not great but decent and they will add to the game.

But by all means go play that mod or develop your own game hey if i am wrong i will happily pay for the game or download the mod and tip my hat but all i see is Dayz light ( the PvP edition)

Well sure they can go with a totally new looking chenarus that is devoid of abundance and looks nothing like the calm cherno of now.

I just imagine a scenario where say a massive global pandemic were to hit a pandemic that wipes out 99 percent of the globe.

When that 1 percent is left when there is no rule of law I can easily imagine peoples true humanity coming out and by humanity I mean the monster inside. People would rape pillage , loot and murder.

The land would become a constant struggle between factions who constantly wage war against each other for control of especially fertile land.

They could always make animals scarce and justify it by saying there was over hunting and fishing leaving few wild game and many of the past species extinct.

Peoples true humanity coming out would involve going about their day the best they could and trying to find more people when they realize everyone who lives near them is dead. Roaming psycopaths make sense when long term survival depends on efficiently killing monsters with the face of people.

Imagine 28 Days Later except, instead of becoming zombies everyone just died. Where is the conflict? So you stay in London, shack up in your apartment and eat cold stuff out of cans for a few years. Without a constant threat there'd be no reason to heavily fortify and thus dick's like Christopher Eccelston wouldn't become powerful. People would just muck about the best they could and in a few hundred years we'd be right back to where we started. Its called a plague, it happens a lot in human history.

Edited by Hefeweizen

Gotta love 'ideas guys'.

Once modding opens up put it into motion, or start it rolling on ARMA 3. Make your dream a reality. Just remember that developers (even the free hobby ones) don't like working with strictly 'ideas guys'.

they could have done more like what Misery mod for Stalker did, where fighting feels like a side effect of a defunct world. The world its self is out to get you! the anomalies, radiation, etc. (imagine if certain areas would get you killed with a gas mask or bio suit, both of which would be in short supply)

Imagine 28 Days Later except, instead of becoming zombies everyone just died. Where is the conflict? So you stay in London, shack up in your apartment and eat cold stuff out of cans for a few years. Without a constant threat there'd be no reason to heavily fortify and thus dick's like Christopher Eccelston wouldn't become powerful. People would just muck about the best they could and in a few hundred years we'd be right back to where we started. Its called a plague, it happens a lot in human history.

True but what happens after say 10 years.

When there is no more food when people turn to cannibalism due to desperation?

What happens when people who share a common interest in their survival and have come accustimed to liking the taste of human mean band together to murder, rape and kidnap women children and men in order

road-cormac-FS-aug-06.jpg

True but what happens after say 10 years.

When there is no more food when people turn to cannibalism due to desperation?

What happens when people who share a common interest in their survival and have come accustimed to liking the taste of human mean band together to murder, rape and kidnap women children and men in order

road-cormac-FS-aug-06.jpg

People would grow food. What do you think they did before the advent of modern technology? Its not like humanity would magically forget about agriculture in less than a generation and as long as the cities are still around they'll always be more than enough shelter for the remaining 1%. Seriously, Cherno is a lush green temperate forest right on a coast line. There is no easier place to survive in the world. If 99% of the population died off there would be more than enough animals to sustain that amount of people indefinitely, even if they hunted and fished night and day. There is no way to make living off the land in Cherno so difficult that people would resort to barbarism without being totally unrealistic about a persons survival capabilities or drastically changing the map.

Like I said in the beginning, your idea is nice sorta, but DayZ and Cherno are most definitely not the game or map for it. Cherno is obviously a place where living off the land would be easy were if not for the zombie apocalypse, as evident by the vast swaths of farm country and orchards. The map also doesn't show any signs of being more than a couple years since the apocalypse, the roads especially, the buildings as well. You could completely redo the map to have a much more inhospitable environment, you could get rid of all the zombies and most of the animals, you could make loot almost nonexistent and starvation almost instantaneous as an attempt to make just running around and not fighting anything difficult, but at some point its just not DayZ anymore. A huge amount of people bought this game because they wanted a standalone version of the DayZ Mod, to get rid of something so core to DayZ would not only be monumentally stupid from marketing standpoint, it'd downright disrespectful to all the fans who supported the DayZ mod.

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Like 1

Zombies will never be the main threat. Even if they were made harder, other players will be more of a threat. Why bother taking a chance to loot a town full of deadly zombies when you can let the players do it for you then you kill them when they leave town. So zombies don't provide anything, they actually make the game less scary. Zombies give other players position away.

Now imagine a game without zombies, deserted towns with no indication whether another player is already looting or holding up there. That is more scary than seeing a town with zombies that give away players who are already in town. The unknown will always be more scary than the known.

This feels fresh.

Sexy fresh.

DayZ without Zombies would be Day.

No it would still be Day Zero, as the day the world rebooted.

Edited by Dallas

I would love it, but then i think back to games like the stalker series or fallout 3(heavily modded to make it more of a survival game) and i enjoy the presence of zombies, mutants, etc. If with a big emphasis on if they can get the zombies functioning to where they are an actual threat and add something to the game, I will gladly welcome the challenge but for that they need hordes of zombies running around, zombies to function properly(not phasing through walls and so on), stealth involving zombies to be fixed, diseases  to be more prevalent and the survival part of the game more fleshed out and it needs to be made harder. But if they cant  get the working right I say to hell with them and add things like cannibalism and all the horrible things you would expect from an apocalypse. Actually add cannibalism in anyways, it would make for an interesting mechanic and would add to and create more play styles. 

I will agree with you here...toss the zombies all together...lets get more of a "Book of Eli" or "The Warriors" or "Road Warrior" going on.  DayZ was born with the implementation of zombies, that doesn't mean DayZ always has to have them...need to evolve.

Wouldn't take much to remove zombies on completion.  As long as dill-hole-hall and BI allow modding upon its completion like it states on their rather laughable "roadmap".

Wouldn't take much to remove zombies on completion.  As long as dill-hole-hall and BI allow modding upon its completion like it states on their rather laughable "roadmap".

If those servers ever come up thats is where I would play.

Zombies really will never add anything for me. They will always just be a source of annoyance.

• Like 1

If those servers ever come up thats is where I would play.

Zombies really will never add anything for me. They will always just be a source of annoyance.

If this game actually makes it to completion, im pretty certain modder's will. 

If anyone has not yet seen it or read the book I highly recommend The Road.

road1.jpg

The road is by far the scariest post apocalyptic film I have ever seen and no it does not feature any of the tired old tropes of the Genre.

There are no zombies, no fast zombies, no mutants, no vampires no ghouls and no aliens.

The  film and the book prove that the scariest thing in a post apocalyptic environment is the lack of hope and the monstrosity of human nature.

Nothing for me has come close to being as scary as the cannibals in the movie and book I mean nothing.

The_Road_hide.JPG

The sheer thought of people losing all of their humanity and succuming to eating other living breathing humans as a means to survive should be bone chilling for everyone. The reason why this is so horrifying is because it is so surreal , these monsters could be anyone, they could be your friendly neighbor , your mail man that nice cashier at the super market.

This inner beast exists in each and everyone of us and because of this it is so terrifying.

...I am immediately looking this movie up on Netflix...

• Like 1

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Dean Hall, or I guess whoever the next lead will be, ended up removing the zombies. I think that would immerse me much more into DayZ.

But then again, remember that a mod for DayZ that removes zombies is made once the workshop comes out :P

Having just read the Road, it is a fantastic book. I will be seeing the movie soon, probably with my Dad, and it has really showed me what I want in any sort of apocalyptic survival simulator game thing.

...I am immediately looking this movie up on Netflix...

Good watch it now.

For christ sakes.  If you didn't like zombies/infected why the fuck did you even purchase this game?  This thread is fail and utter garbage and doesn't belong in the DayZ forums.  Go repost this on A3's Wastleand forums and praise how glorious that game is without out infected in it.  Better yet, go play wasteland and stop ruining the forums with this filth.

• Like 1