Cap'n (DayZ)

M9A1 Combat Knife: The new fireaxe

Yep, I said it. With my experience with the new patch, the combat knife is better in my opinion than the fireaxe on zombies. I came across this revelation screwing around at the International Airfield. There it was, pristine combat knife in the ATC. Grabbed that sucker, ran outside, and went nuts on the local population. Little did I know, it was actually GOOD.

It'll take two hits to the head from the front if they're aggroed, and the first knocks them down, which makes the follow up a lot easier. But a headshot from behind, non-aggroed, is a one hit kill. So this knife actually rewards stealthy gameplay. Sneak up on zombies, stab in the back of the head, and viola! Problem solved. After finding this, I dropped my unwieldy fireaxe and continued on with my new melee of choice.

And that is not its only advantage. It can be used with ease in close quarters. I can't hit shit with an axe indoors, so this suits me well. Another advantage; you can HIDE it! Alright, you get held up by a loot hungry bandit. You drop your rifle, your spoils, and have nothing left but the clothes on your back. And that shiny new knife! Now, wait for him to approach to handcuff you, and stab him in the eye!

So, with the .44 patch, the M9A1 Combat Knife is one of the best melee options in the game (in my opinion). Thoughts?

• Like 8

I've been using mine to open cans with, looks like I better check this out.

As it should. A stab with a 7in blade will cause severe internal bleeding and shock. However, putting a knife through a human skull should be very difficult using only your hands. Mounted on a rifle as a bayonet, however, you should be able to punch through skulls no problem.

The fireaxe is still a one hit kill to the head, FYI.

The difference is the fireaxe takes more practice to master the timing and aiming. Also, it was fixed on experimental prior to them going down the other day.

The fireaxe is still a one hit kill to the head, FYI.

The difference is the fireaxe takes more practice to master the timing and aiming. Also, it was fixed on experimental prior to them going down the other day.

I just dislike axe fight inside buildings. It feels like the axe has 2 meters as it always get stuck at walls.

Btw I can't wait once the sounds of melee weapons are properly done. That meaty "splash" when you hit zombie with axe or even machete, that should be something.

I just dislike axe fight inside buildings. It feels like the axe has 2 meters as it always get stuck at walls.

Btw I can't wait once the sounds of melee weapons are properly done. That meaty "splash" when you hit zombie with axe or even machete, that should be something.

Oh I hear you there.. I always take my axe fight outside. Never indoors.. stuff gets wrecked that way ;)

Very nice! I'll have to try that when I find one. Also, I agree about axes indoors. What a nightmare.

Yep, I said it. With my experience with the new patch, the combat knife is better in my opinion than the fireaxe on zombies. I came across this revelation screwing around at the International Airfield. There it was, pristine combat knife in the ATC. Grabbed that sucker, ran outside, and went nuts on the local population. Little did I know, it was actually GOOD.

It'll take two hits to the head from the front if they're aggroed, and the first knocks them down, which makes the follow up a lot easier. But a headshot from behind, non-aggroed, is a one hit kill. So this knife actually rewards stealthy gameplay. Sneak up on zombies, stab in the back of the head, and viola! Problem solved. After finding this, I dropped my unwieldy fireaxe and continued on with my new melee of choice.

And that is not its only advantage. It can be used with ease in close quarters. I can't hit shit with an axe indoors, so this suits me well. Another advantage; you can HIDE it! Alright, you get held up by a loot hungry bandit. You drop your rifle, your spoils, and have nothing left but the clothes on your back. And that shiny new knife! Now, wait for him to approach to handcuff you, and stab him in the eye!

So, with the .44 patch, the M9A1 Combat Knife is one of the best melee options in the game (in my opinion). Thoughts?

I have never, EVER.. in my 200 hours or so of playing, had a 'bandit' tell me to drop all my stuff and then handcuff me.. EVER... They see you, they snipe you without you noticing them, or kill you on sight, and then look if maybe 1 or 2 items aren't ruined yet.. -_-; Please tell me what glorious servers you play on that actually has people playing the bloody game instead of missclicking Call of Duty on their desktop..?

• Like 1

I have never, EVER.. in my 200 hours or so of playing, had a 'bandit' tell me to drop all my stuff and then handcuff me.. EVER... They see you, they snipe you without you noticing them, or kill you on sight, and then look if maybe 1 or 2 items aren't ruined yet.. -_-; Please tell me what glorious servers you play on that actually has people playing the bloody game instead of missclicking Call of Duty on their desktop..?

I actually have run into two or three.

One actually managed to cuff me and put a bag over my head. I sat there struggling for thirty or so minutes before I managed to break free. The other two, both ended up bleeding heavily and unconscious. They didn't think that I had a kitchen knife stowed in my pants...

I JUST killed a zombie in the head with one hit. What the hell are you guys doing? Drugs while trying to play or something? Not configuring that horrible excellerated mouse crap? I had no problem one shotting the zombie.

i would like to use a knife in the game....the problem is that one handed weapons force you to move slower while fighting, also strafing! It's slower than a 2 handed weapon.

This game follows logic things opposite to Skyrim xD

Edited by GunnyITA

i would like to use a knife in the game....the problem is that one handed weapons force you to move slower while fighting, also strafing! It's slower than a 2 handed weapon.

This game follows logic things opposite to Skyrim xD

Try the 1 handed hammer its amazing for killing zombies.

pipe wrench 4 life

one shot head shot on zombies

Really? I will have to check this out. Can anyone else confirm this?

I JUST killed a zombie in the head with one hit. What the hell are you guys doing? Drugs while trying to play or something? Not configuring that horrible excellerated mouse crap? I had no problem one shotting the zombie.

With what weapon? Fire axe?

fire extinguisher does all the same, but 1 shot KOs a player.

What about zombies? Is it a 1 shot headshot on them as well?

Try the 1 handed hammer its amazing for killing zombies.

How many headshots to kill with the hammer, in your experience?

I've continued to use the fire axe quite sucessfully, although it does always take 2 headshots for me. The first knocks them down and the second kills. I've gotten used to the swing arc so it's really no problem. I would be interested in any weapon that only requires one headshot though. Anyone that can say with certainty that another weapon does this, speak up!

Really? I will have to check this out. Can anyone else confirm this?

With what weapon? Fire axe?

How many headshots to kill with the hammer, in your experience?

I've continued to use the fire axe quite sucessfully, although it does always take 2 headshots for me. The first knocks them down and the second kills. I've gotten used to the swing arc so it's really no problem. I would be interested in any weapon that only requires one headshot though. Anyone that can say with certainty that another weapon does this, speak up!

Around 2 or 3 head shots at the most. Sometimes one since its a blunt weapon.

And yeah i was using the fire axe. Some of these weapons can do one head shots but its more of a proc and how accurate you are with the cranium. Try the Sickle too.

I've used a knife for, like, forever. The ashwood stick is also pretty good, even against players. I've defeated several players with axes, using only my ashwood stick. :)

in the back of the head 1 shot kill, 2 if in front, sometimes 3

the sickle is 2 shot to the head of the zeds havent tested on a player

the sickle is 2 shot to the head of the zeds havent tested on a player

The cool thing about some of those weapons like the sickle is they can be concealed weapons so no one can see what you have on your character lol.

I dont condone these kind of tactics though unless it was for self defense only.

It's really difficult to stab someone to death though. I've seen multiple stabbings and I have yet to see someone die from it. The worst one was a guy who got stabbed about 30 times. He was still bitching and cussing the whole ride to the ER.

Edited by eskamick

My axe is ruined!  I can no longer just go around one-hitting zombies.  I have a hard enough time hitting them in the chest with the axe, I'm not going to bother aiming for the head.

Good fucking luck pulling the knife out in a timely manner from your hidden inventory while being held up since the hot keys are so fucking unresponsive since this pos patch .44