-Gews-

Another new pistol...

SKS is x39. This pistol is more powerful than that. The Mosin is x51 (in DayZ), not x54R. the Mosin one shots just about everything and the SKS has a lot of OHK potential up close (I've been OHK'd with that thing more than I've been killed with multiple shots from it). Considering the handgun would be somewhere inbetween those, I'm content.

lol...Re-read my post I never mentioned that the SKS shot a x54r round. Just the fact that a SKS (x39) which is a .30Cal is survivable in SA without question. I was basing my information off general .30Cal ballistics. Doesn't matter though. Also did you miss the part where I said Ive been shot on multiple occasions with a Mosin and not even bled?

I didn't break it down so far cause I figured most would know what I'm talking about.

FYI the Mosin is a x54r in RL. Yes I know the Mosin in SA is a x51 NATO. Either way in DayzMod/Arma 2 x51/54r were direct copy paste of each other so I don't see why SA would do anything different. Which is more or less true to life.

To put it plain and simple if the ballistics/damage of firearms in game were close to real life or close to the Arma series then I'd say nice new addition! But, the fact of the matter with what we have a single shot rifle/pistol is just gonna get you killed. Unless of course your a head-shot masta.

With the mechanics we have now we need more drum and belt feed weapons.

Edited by RyBo

If anything this update gives me hope for more hunting weapons.

Fingers crossed for a Bolt .22lr and bolt .223/5.56 nato next.

I hope that too, although obviously excited for the P-1, MP5K & AKM in addition to this (All guns we've been asking for for a while; an AK model, a non-modern handgun, and an SMG).

The big tradeoff for this gun's single round will be major stopping power, so I think I'll be using this as a sidearm for when I'm not using a more powerful rifle.

But next it'd be nice to get a CZ-500 series rifle, or the Mauser they've been working on, and then obviously some .22 bolt action. Don't forget the ol' Remington 870, perfect hunting weapon.

Actually, you know what, I just realized they could easily change the muzzle velocity for this gun.

Most guns have a "chambered round" magazine in addition to their normal magazines. All guns of a caliber use the same "chambered round" so velocities are all the same when chambering a single shot.

However since this gun only chambers a single shot, they would not give it an addition "chambered round" option and instead of using the default "chambered round" it could use its own 1-shot magazine with a lower velocity. Problem solved. In this case.

Edited by Gews

Why is there so much hate for this hunting pistol? I mean, sure, it's a little obscure, but, considering hunting is on the road map...and this is a survival game, it would make sense to me to add way more civilian hunting weapons than assault rifles. Having diverse weapon types and ammo types can only improve game play..... I feel like if this forum had its way, there would only be 2 calibers and 2 weapon types, so that no one ever had to search for anything ever again.

edited for spelling

Edited by gr8mghtyp00

Why is there so much hate for this hunting pistol? I mean, sure, it's a little obscure, but, considering hunting is on the road map...and this is a survival game, it would make sense to me to add way more civilian hunting weapons than assault rifles. Having diverse weapon types and ammo types can only improve game play..... I feel like if this forum had its way, there would only be 2 calibers and 2 weapon types, so that no one ever had to search for anything ever again.

edited for spelling

Yeah, I have no issue with it at all.

Although I think your characterization of the forum is a bit off-point, this pistol is probably going to be chambered in an existing round. I think it's chambered in some 7.62/.30 round, perhaps 7.62x51 as it's already in. So, it's not like it's going to add a new ammo type and more variety in that regard. If anything, it'll make the existing ammo more applicable to a wider variety of weapons, rather than having certain cartridges be specific (and thus making for more various looting) to certain weapons.

Edited by Katana67

Gews...the title is bothering me. Make it into new Rifle.

Thompson Center Encore is a great company and makes great rifles.

Its a breach loaded 7.62x51. I don't know what everyone's making a big deal about. I like it. If I have a choice im going to go with something with a little more magizine capacity. However if this is all I have and I find 30 cal ammo, I can survive just fine with it.

... why is this before the makarov

What makes you think the makarov is going to be added ?

We have no idea what the lore is or what weapons will be added although this post gives hints as to what is to come.

Mauser is already made but won't be in the initial release of SA. There will be assault rifles. As for the Mosin...

Shhh...don't tell anybody I showed you these ;) http://puu.sh/3huFD http://puu.sh/3hvKz http://puu.sh/3hvrD

The Chernarus of DayZ is a fictitious creation that’s "generic country with significant Russian influence in its past" that more recently has had a great influence from the West. Its not unlike Czech Republic in that regard and so when myself and Ivan Buchta (our ambassador to Chernarus) created the wish lists of weapons, gear, and player clothing, it was done with that in mind.

I even went so far as to gather gun ownership statistics in CR, which, incidentally, has some of the most accommodating gun laws for civilian ownership in Europe. What I found was that CR is ranked in the top third of gun owners per capita. There's approximately 300k registered gun owners who own ~700k firearms between them. This doesn't include those with illegal guns and you can bet there are a fair number of those too. This contained the greatest variety and can include anything from AR15s to civilianized AKs (such as Vepr), Glocks, Desert Eagles...pretty much anything you can think of can be found in the country. Next is the police - there's ~42k police officers in the CR and they seem to use both western and eastern weapons. I've found pics of SWAT-style units in Prague with MP5k and MP5s, Glocks, Benelli shotguns, and an assortment of CZ pistols, SMGs, and rifles (of course). Last comes military and there's ~23k soldiers. These guys use anything from your assorted CZ arms like the police, as well as M4 variants, M60s, MP5SDs, SVDs, OP96s, some tricked out Sako rifles, etc... and I think this type of model (although we can embellish the selection of specific things with specific ‘types of things’) is a good one to follow.

So I'm looking at these stats and I read comments on the forum and I wonder "do people think DayZ is set during the Cold War era". Then I would understand why most guns need to be Eastern-ish, historic peculiarities. But if DayZ is set in the present day (or slight future), then it’s totally appropriate to have an eclectic mixture of things.

There will be some older, historic firearms from the East, like the Mosin, and some newer ones from the West, like a customizable M4. If I recall, the weapon list is ~50% "eastern stuff" so its not exactly a Russian gun enthusiasts wet dream but I hope that which was chosen will appeal to a broad range of people.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1iyjtt/

If that is anything to go by they take inspiration from the Czech Republic when adding weapons and if so it is doubtful a makarov is added since they never adopted it. They manufactured their own

"makarov"

Edited by gibonez

DEAN PLEASE STOP ADDING THESE USELESS PISTOLS AND FOCUS ON THE FEATURES, THEN ADD NEW ITEMS - WHEN SHITS DONE!

i think that they are trying to comfort us with these new useless items when everything is broken

DEAN PLEASE STOP ADDING THESE USELESS PISTOLS AND FOCUS ON THE FEATURES, THEN ADD NEW ITEMS - WHEN SHITS DONE!

i think that they are trying to comfort us with these new useless items when everything is broken

It is not just dean working on the game there are separate teams working on different things.

Just because the ARt team works faster than the other groups does not mean they arent adding features.

Just as more content is added more features are being worked on in the background even if they are not pushed forward.

• Like 1

Well, if this will add anything to the game, will be that now you have a motivation to snipe bambies, as any of them could take out one of these any time and snipe you with it.

Plus this will probably be as accurate as the mosin is.

It is not just dean working on the game there are separate teams working on different things.

Just because the ARt team works faster than the other groups does not mean they arent adding features.

Just as more content is added more features are being worked on in the background even if they are not pushed forward.

ok, now answer  please this question:

why not put more effort into the features, the features is what makes the game great - there's always time to add items.

there's no features in dayz now. ZERO features, nothing to do in this game. in these 4 months they could at least add hunting system, minor crafting and tents. players could at least do something in this game. i feel like they are doing nothing in their studio except drinking coffe while watching an intern doing all their work.

they made their millions and now they done with this game - that's what i think. the development speed is ridiculous. no wonder why it took them few years to release slightly upgraded mod.

ok, now answer  please this question:

why not put more effort into the features, the features is what makes the game great - there's always time to add items.

there's no features in dayz now. ZERO features, nothing to do in this game. in these 4 months they could at least add hunting system, minor crafting and tents. players could at least do something in this game. i feel like they are doing nothing in their studio except drinking coffe while watching an intern doing all their work.

they made their millions and now they done with this game - that's what i think. the development speed is ridiculous. no wonder why it took them few years to release slightly upgraded mod.

They are putting effort into features somethings are just done faster than others. You assume too much. Things take time and adding whole new features and bug fixing must take longer than simply adding a new gun or food item.

I would probably bet the team size that is working on features far outnumbers the art team working on in game content.

Stick to the pistol talk, please.

This topic is about the pistol, not about the development process... different people work on different things, you can't expect a modeller to be fixing netcode or zombie AI, that's why they have a damn team.

The pistol please.

SKS is x39. This pistol is more powerful than that. The Mosin is x51 (in DayZ), not x54R. the Mosin one shots just about everything and the SKS has a lot of OHK potential up close (I've been OHK'd with that thing more than I've been killed with multiple shots from it). Considering the handgun would be somewhere inbetween those, I'm content.

Well that is the thing, the Mosin doesn't one shot just about anything. I shot this guy twice with 5 mins intervals in the chest from about 150-200 meters, I am sure both were chest shots and I saw the blood gushing out and yet he kept running like he didn't have a care in the world and ended up killing one of my m8s. Eventually I got the drop on him a third time and finished him off with a clean headshot. And no, he didn't have a ballistic vest. And yet other times I have dropped people with a single chest shot. I guess it is all them people carrying pristine books/protective cases/ballistic helmets in their chest inventory. If they only made those items 3 down and 2 across people wouldn't be able to fit them in their pants and chest slots or at least significantly decrease their body damage absorption.

I would rather them be working on bigger guns to be honest. But pistols are fine in fact there are MANY pistol brands and types so it only makes sense to be honest. In America the most common gun owned in homes is the pistol no matter what make or model it may be. Granted this is nowhere in America the pistol is STILL a super common weapon.

Well that is the thing, the Mosin doesn't one shot just about anything. I shot this guy twice with 5 mins intervals in the chest from about 150-200 meters, I am sure both were chest shots and I saw the blood gushing out and yet he kept running like he didn't have a care in the world and ended up killing one of my m8s. Eventually I got the drop on him a third time and finished him off with a clean headshot. And no, he didn't have a ballistic vest. And yet other times I have dropped people with a single chest shot. I guess it is all them people carrying pristine books/protective cases/ballistic helmets in their chest inventory. If they only made those items 3 down and 2 across people wouldn't be able to fit them in their pants and chest slots or at least significantly decrease their body damage absorption.

Damage model seems to be bugged its super inconsistent atm.

The mosin for me seems to be a 1 hit kill to the chest and stomach 90 percent of the time the other 10 percent of the time it takes 3 or 4 shots for some reason.

I would rather them be working on bigger guns to be honest. But pistols are fine in fact there are MANY pistol brands and types so it only makes sense to be honest. In America the most common gun owned in homes is the pistol no matter what make or model it may be. Granted this is nowhere in America the pistol is STILL a super common weapon.

i grew up in soviet russia. i visit russia every year. few of my family members fight in donetsk and i thinking about joining them.

BUT I NEVER, NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THESE GUNS, except 1911, but you will NEVER find 1911 in russia, its not a russian gun and they just adding random guns into chernarus. also, the m4. WTF is m4 doing in soviet russia or post soviet state?! UN? the un uses kalachnikov in these areas. sporter? wtf is that? also i have complains about many wearable items that i never even heard about in my childhood and many wearable items that were common for that area that i cant find aroud chernarus.

someone didnt do their homework about the area they making the game in.. maybe they should hire someone (i will tell them for free) about soviet russia and post soviet time because they know nothing about it.

i grew up in soviet russia. i visit russia every year. few of my family members fight in donetsk and i thinking about joining them.

BUT I NEVER, NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THESE GUNS, except 1911, but you will NEVER find 1911 in russia, its not a russian gun and they just adding random guns into chernarus. also, the m4. WTF is m4 doing in soviet russia or post soviet state?! UN? the un uses kalachnikov in these areas. sporter? wtf is that? also i have complains about many wearable items that i never even heard about in my childhood and many wearable items that were common for that area that i cant find aroud chernarus.

someone didnt do their homework about the area they making the game in.. maybe they should hire someone (i will tell them for free) about soviet russia and post soviet time because they know nothing about it.

This is not apart of your Russia friend. But i do understand what you mean.

Still the handgun is the most common item to be found. Idk what the deal is with this sniper looking hand cannon though. It looks way to rare to be something found in every part of that country. Even in America I don't think you will see allot of ppl with that weapon running around.

The magnum already in game is powerful enough to blow some ones head off without having other high powered hand guns with sniper scopes on it lol.

And about the clothing. I wouldn't mind more Communist looking gear if thats what you mean. But im not sure if they are afraid of offending ppl or what with putting more sickle and hammer logo on gear and clothing.

This is not apart of your Russia friend. But i do understand what you mean.

Still the handgun is the most common item to be found. Idk what the deal is with this sniper looking hand cannon though. It looks way to rare to be something found in every part of that country. Even in America I don't think you will see allot of ppl with that weapon running around.

The magnum already in game is powerful enough to blow some ones head off without having other high powered hand guns with sniper scopes on it lol.

And about the clothing. I wouldn't mind more Communist looking gear if thats what you mean. But im not sure if they are afraid of offending ppl or what with putting more sickle and hammer logo on gear and clothing.

Well, chernarus was said to be a post soviet state from the start, a brief look at the mod main page will tell you that.

The fact that we were swimming in m4's and 'tactical pistols' on the game's launch already disgusts me, now we're adding a hunting pistol that probably has less than a ten thousand owners in the entire fucking world before a makarov, m9 or glock.

the design team have some serious issues. 'New gameplay options' are completely bullshit. Add an alien gun that shoots gummy bears and heal people if you want 'new gameplay options' without giving a fuck about being authentic then.

Edited by lipemr

Well, chernarus was said to be a post soviet state from the start, a brief look at the mod main page will tell you that.

The fact that we were swimming in m4's and 'tactical pistols' on the game's launch already disgusts me, now we're adding a hunting pistol that probably has less than a ten thousand owners in the entire fucking world before a makarov, m9 or glock.

the design team have some serious issues. 'New gameplay options' are completely bullshit. Add an alien gun that shoots gummy bears and heal people if you want 'new gameplay options' without giving a fuck about being authentic then.

Well American or not this is just a SUPER rare odd gun to be finding commonly lol.

Who cares when those guns get added so long as they get added right ?

Maybe the model for the hunting pistol was just further along from the other more common weapons and needed less work to implement.

Should they hold off on adding a completed weapon ?

Also while Chernarus does appear to be a post soviet state.

They are taking inspiration from the Czech Republic when it comes to weapon variety. Here is an old post from a dev that might give you some insight into future weapons added and potential direction of where the game is headed.

Mauser is already made but won't be in the initial release of SA. There will be assault rifles.  As for the Mosin...

Shhh...don't tell anybody I showed you these ;)

http://puu.sh/3huFD

http://puu.sh/3hvKz

http://puu.sh/3hvrD

The Chernarus of DayZ is a fictitious creation that’s "generic country with significant Russian influence in its past" that more recently has had a great influence from the West. Its not unlike Czech Republic in that regard and so when myself and Ivan Buchta (our ambassador to Chernarus) created the wish lists of weapons, gear, and player clothing, it was done with that in mind. 

I even went so far as to gather gun ownership statistics in CR, which, incidentally, has some of the most accommodating gun laws for civilian ownership in Europe.  What I found was that CR is ranked in the top third of gun owners per capita.  There's approximately 300k registered gun owners who own ~700k firearms between them.  This doesn't include those with illegal guns and you can bet there are a fair number of those too.  This contained the greatest variety and can include anything from AR15s to civilianized AKs (such as Vepr), Glocks, Desert Eagles...pretty much anything you can think of can be found in the country.  Next is the police - there's ~42k police officers in the CR and they seem to use both western and eastern weapons. I've found pics of SWAT-style units in Prague with MP5k and MP5s, Glocks, Benelli shotguns, and an assortment of CZ pistols, SMGs, and rifles (of course).  Last comes military and there's ~23k soldiers. These guys use anything from your assorted CZ arms like the police, as well as M4 variants, M60s, MP5SDs, SVDs, OP96s, some tricked out Sako rifles, etc... and I think this type of model (although we can embellish the selection of specific things  with specific ‘types of things’) is a good one to follow.

So I'm looking at these stats and I read comments on the forum and I wonder "do people think DayZ is set during the Cold War era". Then I would understand why most guns need to be Eastern-ish, historic peculiarities.  But if DayZ is set in the present day (or slight future), then it’s totally appropriate to have an eclectic mixture of things.

There will be some older, historic firearms from the East, like the Mosin, and some newer ones from the West, like a customizable M4. If I recall, the weapon list is ~50% "eastern stuff" so its not exactly a Russian gun enthusiasts wet dream but I hope that which was chosen will appeal to a broad range of people.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/143207-more-antiquated-yet-effective-weapons/page-2#entry1413084

That kinda gives us some insight as to why there is an m4 in the game let alone some of their other weapon choices.

Who cares when those guns get added so long as they get added right ?

Maybe the model for the hunting pistol was just further along from the other more common weapons and needed less work to implement.

Should they hold off on adding a completed weapon ?

Also while Chernarus does appear to be a post soviet state.

They are taking inspiration from the Czech Republic when it comes to weapon variety. Here is an old post from a dev that might give you some insight into future weapons added and potential direction of where the game is headed.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/143207-more-antiquated-yet-effective-weapons/page-2#entry1413084

That kinda gives us some insight as to why there is an m4 in the game let alone some of their other weapon choices.

M4 is in game because of Chernarus history, the intervention of the USA. I don't mind these fancy new guns, but I want them to be rare, I should find 50 AK's before I ever find one of these, that kind of deal.

M4 is in game because of Chernarus history, the intervention of the USA. I don't mind these fancy new guns, but I want them to be rare, I should find 50 AK's before I ever find one of these, that kind of deal.

you know that it will not be the case. We all know it.