SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.45 Discussion

dev team is focusing on the wrong tasks...

instead of adding new and utterly useless stuff try to get things straight first: movement is still clunky and buggy, rubberbanding makes the game unplayable, "session lost" will delete characters.

i am about to lose any interest in dayz because of the extreme slow progress they are making and also because i really doubt the devs are able to sort our their crap. I guess it wont get any better than this tbh

Guess not , might as well leave now and never return ... :) . Can't wait for this push to stable , regardless of all the people saying its unplayable, it truly isn't its just very frustrating when you're trying to rush , you CAN'T rush Around in experimental or you rubberband all over the place :0 or if you find a crap ping server cuz lag seems to play into the rubberbanding as well .

Ps: movement is fluid and clean for me , try playing two months ago before the forced mouse acceleration was fixed, you must be lagging cuz the movement is much better than it was 2 months ago .

• Like 1

Fix the rubberbanding.
Fix the session lost.

Nothing

Else

Matters.

I only play on servers with ~20ms ping in the UK so ping isn't to blame. Constantly getting 10000 desync on a 50mbit connection. Its much worse on high pop servers than low pop servers.

Movement is also broken because it is desyncing and rubberbanding, causing random leg breaks as the game adjusts to moving up or down stairs.

Killed twice this week by these damn issues, haven't been killed by a lack of features.

Edited by Lagahan
  • Like 3

Fix the rubberbanding.

Fix the session lost.

Nothing

Else

Matters.

I only play on servers with ~20ms ping in the UK so ping isn't to blame. Constantly getting 10000 desync on a 50mbit connection. Its much worse on high pop servers than low pop servers.

Movement is also broken because it is desyncing and rubberbanding, causing random leg breaks as the game adjusts to moving up or down stairs.

Killed twice this week by these damn issues, haven't been killed by a lack of features.

Oh we all know ping isn't causing rubberbanding lol , but it does add into it especially if you're lagging and your trying to run out of a building.

Also I've noticed rubberbanding is much worse (like unbearable bad) when you have a red link at the bottom of your screen which is the indicator that your having troubles responding to server , so unless the rubberbanding itself causes the red link which I highly doubt , I've come to a dirty conclusion that lag and ping has to have SOME part in making rubber banding worse ,obviously we know the real issue why rbanding happens but I'm just saying these things like ping/lag seem to add to the depth of the rubberbanding.

But to let you win I'm frustrated at the rubberbanding too, I haven't been able to break 600 hrs because of it :( !

But it's ok we love dayz, and dayz loves us young raging padawan !

Also I've noticed rubberbanding is much worse (like unbearable bad) when you have a red link at the bottom of your screen which is the indicator that your having troubles responding to server , so unless the rubberbanding itself causes the red link which I highly doubt , I've come to a dirty conclusion that lag and ping has to have SOME part in making rubber banding worse ,obviously we know the real issue why rbanding happens but I'm just saying these things like ping/lag seem to add to the depth of the rubberbanding.

Yeah the red link is just the game warning ya of desync issues. Press P, at any one time at least 6-10 people on a 30 man server will be at 10000 desync, utterly lost contact with the server, so yeah its directly causing the rubberbanding.

It has to be that the server code is simply so badly optimized that it cannot hope to keep up with too many clients connected at the one time. Where is this 64bit server code that they said they were testing last week, we need it asap, and definitely before this goes on stable or nearly everyone will stop playing if they have any sense.

Edited by Lagahan
  • Like 2

Fix the rubberbanding.

Fix the session lost.

Nothing

Else

Matters.

I'm guessing you play hardcore mode only, since there is a third, massive issue on regular mode:

Fix the character wipes

I usually like to mess around a little in third person mode because I take my hardcore char more seriously, but it's ridiculous when you just got enough gear to start being able to have a little fun and you're set back to zilch.

• Like 1

did an experiment of my own last night. loaded up experimental build map inside arma 3 editor *just for personal test and not for use online, publicly or any mod*

Went flying around the new town, have to say performance was amazing, 60fps at all times... in the same area in DayZ  im about 30 or 40.... Similar view distance and high settings on both..Strange.

maybe test your new map area in Arma 3 developers and see for yourself the performance is remarkably better, how does arma 3 render that map area so high performance

did an experiment of my own last night. loaded up experimental build map inside arma 3 editor *just for personal test and not for use online, publicly or any mod*

Went flying around the new town, have to say performance was amazing, 60fps at all times... in the same area in DayZ  im about 30 or 40.... Similar view distance and high settings on both..Strange.

maybe test your new map area in Arma 3 developers and see for yourself the performance is remarkably better, how does arma 3 render that map area so high performance

Probably because your playing DAYZ offline... Its the same for arma. Run that map online with 20 other people you will get lag.

Edited by JasonB

Because the renderer properly handles occlusion culling, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_surface_determination) unlike DayZ's woeful current renderer.

All game engines since Quake 1 use this to make sure the CPU and GPU aren't rendering meshes you can't see, thus improving performance.

• Like 2

Probably because your playing DAYZ offline... Its the same for arma. Run that map online with 20 other people you will get lag.

No its not..its no difference, arma 3 always has terrific performance for me  even online... and this map in the same town especially seemed strange as people usually blame the towns complexity and geometry or say 'its not optimisied' yet in that area..but to me this prooves the city area they added is fine & its just day z standalone that has no optimisation. It felt so smooth in arma 3 it was ridiculously nice.

Edited by AgentNe0

Does no one read? The Devs have stated they are fixing the rubberbanding before releasing to Stable.

• Like 1

Just as they didn't read that optimisation occours mainly in the Beta phase of developing...

Just as they didn't read that optimisation occours mainly in the Beta phase of developing...

well actually its to do with the occulsion culling as pointed out by Lagahan, of course we read that, Can hardly miss it with all the jumped up Alpha-police who have nothing better to add to the conversation!!! Every single thread about thoughts of improvements or feedback could be fobbed off with the same statement. Yes its alpha thanks for telling us for the millionth time.

Edited by AgentNe0
  • Like 1

well actually its to do with the occulsion culling as pointed out by Lagahan, of course we read that, Can hardly miss it with all the jumped up Alpha-police who have nothing better to add to the conversation!!! Every single thread about thoughts of improvements or feedback could be fobbed off with the same statement. Yes its alpha thanks for telling us for the millionth time.

To be fair guys, occlusion culling has something to do with optimization so lets not compare dayz alpha with fully released arma 3 =D. And besides we all know that the new renderer and 64 bit is being worked on so lets keep this conversation til those come out .. But I'm really hoping some nice surprises come with this push to stable .

• Like 1

No its not..its no difference, arma 3 always has terrific performance for me  even online... and this map in the same town especially seemed strange as people usually blame the towns complexity and geometry or say 'its not optimisied' yet in that area..but to me this prooves the city area they added is fine & its just day z standalone that has no optimisation. It felt so smooth in arma 3 it was ridiculously nice.

The FPS problem in DayZ is due to the number of items that exist at any given time. Each loot objec, zombie, other player etc. all contribute to lower fps. This is why even in ARMA 3 I get great frames until I get on a full wasteland server.

• Like 2

The FPS problem in DayZ is due to the number of items that exist at any given time. Each loot objec, zombie, other player etc. all contribute to lower fps. This is why even in ARMA 3 I get great frames until I get on a full wasteland server.

so currently in standalone are you saying it is due to the map loading every single object for every client at once, and it needs more of a bubble system where it only loads things for each player within a distance or something like that

• Like 1

This is more "fixing game breaking bugs" than optimization.

In order for us, the alpha players (testers who actually pay the developers so we can test the game out for ourselves) to test game features, we need something that runs properly.

For example: testing guns at 19 frames per second with servers who forget about half their players for a few seconds at a time is not an efficient modus operandi.

As people who've bought the game (in our droves) we are effectively paying the dev's salary.

I would happily accept features that are broken and don't work as alpha problems, as long as I can efficiently test them on a relatively stable base engine. I'm sorry if I assumed that with access to a full existing engine utterly woeful frame rate on the fastest consumer PCs and connection issues would be first on the list of things to sort out before adding things in and testing them incrementally.

Edited by Lagahan
  • Like 3

Does no one read? The Devs have stated they are fixing the rubberbanding before releasing to Stable.

They said they were fixing rubberbanding months ago.

• Like 3

This patch should have been pushed to stable by now, i feel sorry for the one guy sat there doing the code, must be a sad time knowing you're the only one working whilst everyone else is off taking holiday..

• Like 3

They said they were fixing rubberbanding months ago.

They did. There has been multiple times where massive amounts of rubberbanding occurred with the release of an experimental patch. Each time it was fixed. When it's really bad it means there's a direct cause and they fix it.

They did. There has been multiple times where massive amounts of rubberbanding occurred with the release of an experimental patch. Each time it was fixed. When it's really bad it means there's a direct cause and they fix it.

And everytime they fix it, they break it. It's the same repeating issue, should have been stamped out by now, at this rate the next EXP build will be up straight after this one goes in stable, is there even a point to stable at this moment? May aswell unify the builds and forget the roadmap and planning, everytime there's a delay and it simply is not good enough.

• Like 3

And everytime they fix it, they break it. It's the same repeating issue, should have been stamped out by now, at this rate the next EXP build will be up straight after this one goes in stable, is there even a point to stable at this moment? May aswell unify the builds and forget the roadmap and planning, everytime there's a delay and it simply is not good enough.

Firstly, I'd like to ask you a question. What causes rubberbanding?

Secondly, there is a very simple solution to his. Don't play experimental. Problem solved.

when something new is added to a game this size and detail an issue will arise and it will be fixed, which means the same issue will keep showing itself and will continue getting fixed until the next time, its just how alpha goes man. We all want to next update but i sure as hell would rather wait then have my character thrown every which way when ever i attempt to do something. I'm not going to say go play another game but maybe this game just isnt't right for you in the current state it is which is understandable I mean i personally take breaks just because I get bored killing bandits and having no survival aspect to my characters short life but i look at the end picture and continue to support the DEV's with every step knowing this game is going to be simply amazing once finished.