Sign in to follow this  
preacherlr

One handed bladed weapons ( Knives ), Too weak?

This is NOT based off the current experimental build, It's been this way since launch.

So, I've never really used knives since launch, I got into a few fist vs knife fights and lost. From what I can figure, The knives cause no initial damage, but have a 100% (?) chance to cause bleeding.. 

I'd like to see them become something threatening. It's not every day you have to stab someone 200 times just to kill them. I have a picture on my steam I'll link from a few months ago, Using a pristine M4 bayonet, I stab a guy 40-50 times, and only knocked him out.

Realistically, If you get stabbed, You're gonna have a bad time.

Opinions?

Promised screenshot : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214400895 

• Like 5

If you get behind a zombie, with a knife or something you have in one hand, it would be cool if there was like an execution animation, and it would kill it in one hit.

Like the ones in The Walking Dead TV Series

1QpkZ4l.jpg

• Like 1

If you get behind a zombie, with a knife or something you have in one hand, it would be cool if there was like an execution animation, and it would kill it in one hit.

1QpkZ4l.jpg

This ain't the Walking Dead Online, quit comparing DayZ to it.

• Like 2

1QpkZ4l.jpg

Uhm no... It's so unrealistic, who the hell is gonna attacked from the back by a zombie, and have enough time to turn around and Rambo stab it in the forehead, penetrating its skull like cottage cheese...?

i found stabbing weapons really great for dealing with zombies, when you dont have a firefighter axe

you have pinpoint accuracy, with a delay of course, but when hit in the head, the zombies get unconcious for a while

aiming for the head in melee fights is very important even against players, a few days ago i fought against a boxer and an axe murderer with my baseball bat, and knocked both of them out, undressing them, and taking the axe, then breaking their legs with it...

wow i am pretty f*cked up i guess...

Yeah, but whatever strategy you apply, melee weapons suck hard in DayZ. Only weapons that are worth carrying are hoes, splitting axe and fireaxe. I don't get it why smashing zombies head with a wrench hardly deals any dmg.

Yeah, but whatever strategy you apply, melee weapons suck hard in DayZ. Only weapons that are worth carrying are hoes, splitting axe and fireaxe. I don't get it why smashing zombies head with a wrench hardly deals any dmg.

It's easier to kill a player with a wrench then it is a zombie.. Which makes no sense..

It's easier to kill a player with a wrench then it is a zombie.. Which makes no sense..

It's easier to kill a player with anything! Unless it's a sporter, because it's a fucking water gun..

Also, Has anyone ever gotten a kill with a screwdriver? I stabbed a guy in the head 6 or so times the other day, and he just walked off, not even fussed. He bandaged and it was like I never stabbed him. =\

This ain't the Walking Dead Online, quit comparing DayZ to it.

Damn straight. This isn't an mmo.

• Like 2

Uhm no... It's so unrealistic, who the hell is gonna attacked from the back by a zombie, and have enough time to turn around and Rambo stab it in the forehead, penetrating its skull like cottage cheese...?

It's unrealistic?

How?

The pic was just an example, obviously the attack would be in the back of the head.

I'd surely be more realistic than swinging an axe, missing 3/4 of the attemps

It's unrealistic?

How?

The pic was just an example, obviously the attack would be in the back of the head.

I'd surely be more realistic than swinging an axe, missing 3/4 of the attemps

Mis-read your post, I thought you said, it would be cool if you were getting attacked from behind. My bad! o:

It's unrealistic?

How?

Stabbing a skull with a knife is not a good idea. You target the soft vulnerable areas, not the areas fully encased in bone...

There's reason why people from medieval times...

Image12a.jpg

To more modern times...

image1ku.jpg

...never advocate trying to stab through your opponent's skull. It belongs in The Walking Dead where all skulls are soft as eggshells.

• Like 1

Stabbing a skull with a knife is not a good idea. You target the soft vulnerable areas, not the areas fully encased in bone...

There's reason why people from medieval times...

Image12a.jpg

To more modern times...

image1ku.jpg

...never advocate trying to stab through your opponent's skull. It belongs in The Walking Dead where all skulls are soft as eggshells.

I could see this working for normal players with neck stabbing but in the case of these infected head shots or blows to the head straight in the brain with melee are the only way to kill them or at least thats what i thought the developers were eventually trying to aim for. So it could maybe be anything under 8 inches and to thin i imagine wouldn't cut it for skull blows. I could see the blade wearing to fast.

So short bladed weapons i imagine wouldnt work against infected to well anyways.

But ether way i imagine unless it was a heavy duty melee it wouldnt be good for killing them with if it was real life anyways. Close combat would = greater risk of infection.

To be fair to TWD most of the head stabs are through the eye socket. Even if skulls are super thin for some reason...

Combat knife= 1 thrust to head to kill man or Zed

Bayonet= 2 swing to head to kill a man or Zed

If I can't pack my fire axe in my pack I just replace it with either of the two above. You need to do more testing and aim for the face. They work fine. Otherwise it's about 5-10 stabs to the body. Each one causes bleeding. They normally just bleed out first. So your goal is to find a "combat knife" they look like daggers.

I've probably killed as many zeds with my combat knife as I have with an axe of any type. Hell even with my bare fists. Just face punch (knock down) beat/repeat..

P.S. Just don't like the axe on my back

Edited by RyBo

Also, Has anyone ever gotten a kill with a screwdriver? I stabbed a guy in the head 6 or so times the other day, and he just walked off, not even fussed. He bandaged and it was like I never stabbed him. =\

I killed a man with a pen before...

Wish I had got that on video.

• Like 1

If I can't pack my fire axe in my pack I just replace it with either of the two above. You need to do more testing and aim for the face. They work fine. Otherwise it's about 5-10 stabs to the body. Each one causes bleeding. They normally just bleed out first. So your goal is to find a "combat knife" they look like daggers.

I've probably killed as many zeds with my combat knife as I have with an axe of any type. Hell even with my bare fists. Just face punch (knock down) beat/repeat..

I also feel like more combat knife variety needs to be able to be found. I mean some are more exotic than others but there should be a wide variety of combat knife designs near the boarder of Russia you can get. I like aesthetics of knifes just as much as i like effectiveness.

I mean some are more exotic than others but there should be a wide variety of combat knife designs near the boarder of Russia you can get.

8njdMdG.png

Why should a bayonet take more hits to kill? You can apply much more force with a bayonet than you can with a knife-in-the-hand. 

Realistically, as someone who is trained in knife combat, you would want to use a longer blunt weapon (like a hammer) instead of a knife if you had the chance. The actions with a blunt weapon are more instinctual, and can deal as much/more damage than a comparative knife wound.

Real knife vs knife CQC involves a mixture of knifework, footwork, hand-to-hand, and grappling. Plus, you would be better off stabbing someone instead of slashing them. The stab has a greater chance of causing internal bleeding and organ damage than a slash, which are mainly for keeping the enemy off-balance and for weakening them via superficial cuts. 

Finally, you want to hold your  knife using the "icepick" method, rather than the "hammer" method (look them up). Using the icepick, you can stab with much greater force, and target vital areas (the neck and upper torso) much easier than the hammergrip, which targets the stomach instead.

Look up MCMAP pdfs online for a sense of what I am talking about.

• Like 1

Why should a bayonet take more hits to kill? You can apply much more force with a bayonet than you can with a knife-in-the-hand. 

Realistically, as someone who is trained in knife combat, you would want to use a longer blunt weapon (like a hammer) instead of a knife if you had the chance. The actions with a blunt weapon are more instinctual, and can deal as much/more damage than a comparative knife wound.

Real knife vs knife CQC involves a mixture of knifework, footwork, hand-to-hand, and grappling. Plus, you would be better off stabbing someone instead of slashing them. The stab has a greater chance of causing internal bleeding and organ damage than a slash, which are mainly for keeping the enemy off-balance and for weakening them via superficial cuts. 

Finally, you want to hold your  knife using the "icepick" method, rather than the "hammer" method (look them up). Using the icepick, you can stab with much greater force, and target vital areas (the neck and upper torso) much easier than the hammergrip, which targets the stomach instead.

Look up MCMAP pdfs online for a sense of what I am talking about.

First off the bayonet can't be used on a weapon at the moment. It can be attached but that's it. Sadly all looks. It can only be used as a hand-held for some awful looking thrust/swing things. Your opening statement would apply if it was affixed to a rifle.

If you looked at a bayonet the sucker is like 3" wide. The dagger only being 1" is much easier I'd assume. Also the serrations on the combat knife help along with I'd guess at least 4" longer blade. Last but not least don't forget the bayonet is a one sided blade while the combat knife is duel sided.

Most (combat/dagger) blades are around 9".

We just had a mass stabbing here in the States. The blade wasn't much better than the bayonet in game. He stabbed 20 people and not one died. Just because it has a blade doesn't mean it's the right knife for the job.

I really, really like the idea of different stances though. Should pass that up the line.

Edited by RyBo

First off the bayonet can't be used on a weapon at the moment. It can be attached but that's it. Sadly all looks. It can only be used as a hand-held for some awful looking thrust/swing things. Your opening statement would apply if it was affixed to a rifle.

If you looked at a bayonet the sucker is like 3" wide. The dagger only being 1" is much easier I'd assume. Also the serrations on the combat knife help along with I'd guess at least 4" longer blade. Last but not least don't forget the bayonet is a one sided blade while the combat knife is duel sided.

Most (combat/dagger) blades are around 9".

We just had a mass stabbing here in the States. The blade wasn't much better than the bayonet in game. He stabbed 20 people and not one died. Just because it has a blade doesn't mean it's the right knife for the job.

I really, really like the idea of different stances though. Should pass that up the line.

I...what? I know knives cannot be mounted on rifles as of yet. I was talking about the forces involved. Mounting a knife as a bayonet lets you use more force (two hands, more efficient motion, longer range/higher velocity, etc), causing more damage.

Take a look at the combat knives used by the majority of modern forces nowadays. There is no difference between a "combat knife" and a "bayonet", they are literally the same knife. Handheld, it is a combat knife, mounted on the rifle, it is a bayonet.

Also, the width of the blade has little to no effect on the damage it will do, because you are going to stab with it in almost every circumstance. In that case, longer (for a certain case of longer) is better, as it would let you hit the vitals more effectively. 

Finally, show me a combat knife that is dual-edged, and I will show you a overspecialized knife, cripplingly so. Most knives designed for combat, with the exception of certain commando knives from WW1 and 2, are single-edged for rigidity, strength, and utility.

I like that one allot.

Why? The tip would break off too easily, it looks like.

You know, as an aside, and nothing personal, we have this problem every year at the Scout camp I work at. Kids bring in these fuckmassive "military" (cough, cough, no they aren't. Chinese plastic covered SEAL TEAM SIX knives for $13 from Walmart, does not a military knife make). They think they are badass, and that I will be impressed, when they show me these. I sigh, pull out my KA-BAR (which I paid $90 for), and tell them exactly how many times I've used it (twice, and it has since been regulated to the shoulder strap on my bag) I try to tell them how to properly use, care for, and, most importantly, what  NOT to do with these knives.

Of course, they disregard me, and proceed to go and try to chop down trees/throw their knives into trees/chop firewood, and then come bitching to me about how the point broke/tang snapped/rotator bolt sheared/edge grind is ruined.

I tell them a very useful bit of info " Don't mistreat your knives, and they will not mistreat you. Every tool has a purpose, and if you try to use a tool for something it isn't purposed for, it will probably/eventually break".

Out in the woods, I carry 3 tools on me. They are:

-Good multitool: for "small" things

-Mora sheath knife: for "medium" things

-Tomahawk: for "big" things

You don't "mix and match" purposes, because then something gets broken, and you are out of a tool....