Sign in to follow this  
preacherlr

One handed bladed weapons ( Knives ), Too weak?

Why? The tip would break off too easily, it looks like.

You know, as an aside, and nothing personal, we have this problem every year at the Scout camp I work at. Kids bring in these fuckmassive "military" (cough, cough, no they aren't. Chinese plastic covered SEAL TEAM SIX knives for $13 from Walmart, does not a military knife make). They think they are badass, and that I will be impressed, when they show me these. I sigh, pull out my KA-BAR (which I paid $90 for), and tell them exactly how many times I've used it (twice, and it has since been regulated to the shoulder strap on my bag) I try to tell them how to properly use, care for, and, most importantly, what  NOT to do with these knives.

Of course, they disregard me, and proceed to go and try to chop down trees/throw their knives into trees/chop firewood, and then come bitching to me about how the point broke/tang snapped/rotator bolt sheared/edge grind is ruined.

I tell them a very useful bit of info " Don't mistreat your knives, and they will not mistreat you. Every tool has a purpose, and if you try to use a tool for something it isn't purposed for, it will probably/eventually break".

Out in the woods, I carry 3 tools on me. They are:

-Good multitool: for "small" things

-Mora sheath knife: for "medium" things

-Tomahawk: for "big" things

You don't "mix and match" purposes, because then something gets broken, and you are out of a tool....

Oh believe me i don't buy things made from china but im not a fan of Kbar to much ether mines a Tops but its more expensive, however i treat my knife well. And its got a very thick tang to.

However thats not to say everything made in china is horrible ether im sure they have some great weapons and tools but its more expensive probably than what most normal ppl are willing to pay.

Heres a pic i took of mine but i didn't take a pic showing how thick the actual blade length is but its very solid if were to turn the blade down towards you to show it. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182048-knife-sheaths-because-hunting-will-make-knives-matter/page-3

Edited by Deathlove

We just had a mass stabbing here in the States. The blade wasn't much better than the bayonet in game. He stabbed 20 people and not one died. Just because it has a blade doesn't mean it's the right knife for the job.

We had a mass stabbing here, too. Five people stabbed to death. Weapon used: kitchen knife.

A "combat knife" is not necessarily any more deadly, the advantages are usually a more secure handle and guard and a more robust blade and grind.

I posted these comparisons before...

Here are two knives. Top is a Khyber knife made for killing people - bottom is a kitchen knife made for cutting food.

Note the similarity.

gsfwqlY.png

Some examples of very early "bowies", the Forrest, Searles and Schively/Perkins.

gVleUZS.png

You can see they are all quite similar... a kitchen knife can be very deadly. However many people do not bother to keep theirs sharp.

Why? The tip would break off too easily, it looks like.

The grind seems to carry the thickness well towards the tip.

yA2xph1.jpg?1

gHDGSZ4.jpg

Of course this is a knife which appears designed with stabbing (and style) in mind rather than pure utility.

It's easier to kill a player with anything! Unless it's a sporter, because it's a fucking water gun..

You're utilizing the weapon in the wrong way.

The sporter is designed to torture players, not kill them.

* Well game-play wise anyway.

I never used a knife in DayZ...maybe for open cans but not for fighting zombies or players.
But I would like to see butterfly knifes.

he254423_gr.jpg

The combat - and kitchen knifes take two slots in the inventory, the butterfly sould take one slot and you should have to open it in your hands before using it.

Edited by xCAPx

Stabbing a skull with a knife is not a good idea. You target the soft vulnerable areas, not the areas fully encased in bone...

There's reason why people from medieval times...

Image12a.jpg

To more modern times...

image1ku.jpg

...never advocate trying to stab through your opponent's skull. It belongs in The Walking Dead where all skulls are soft as eggshells.

I didn't realise the human skull was too hard to cut a knife through. My apologies.

I didn't realise the human skull was too hard to cut a knife through. My apologies.

If you want a OHK to the skull, use a regular carpenter's hammer. Seriously.

A hammer would be the best H2H weapon in the zombie apocalypse. No edges to sharpen, you can't break it, and you can use it for different things.

Genius.