Katana67

Save The Trees Man! Marginalized Wilderness

At least in forests we have somewhat playable fps, towns are bad which is puzzling me why they keep adding new ones before they sort the old ones performance wise.

They can add new ways to store and hide things.

They can, and should, do both in my opinion. 

And I'm not dead set on tents. If you consider the aspect of player-placed construction (an aspect outlined on the roadmap), where are these things going to occur now? In high traffic areas? I think not. People aren't going to waste their time dumping resources into an ostensibly "end-game" and/or difficult construction system if they can't first manage the risk to that structure. Problem is, most areas are now vulnerable to being high traffic. Which is the entire point of this thread. The dynamic has changed, and therefore needs to be accommodated in more ways than one.

Please save your insulting bile for another day, or just never.

i wonder how barricading and the "you can't spawn here" system that comes with it will affect the dynamic of things.

I really dont like the increasing urbanization of the map. i really could care less about how faithful it remain to the real-world area portrayed, but i do have serious gameplay concerns about forcing more and more players into a close urban environment.

• Like 2

It would be great if we had properly thick forests that we could hide in. I miss being able to be a forest hermit living in the dark places of the map where no one ever bothered me like in the mod.

• Like 3

I intentionally chop down bushes and trees across roads as I travel, and I shoot tree huggers on sight! I'll bet tree huggers get their hydration from ponds rather than Pipsi, and would rather eat meat from animals they kill or fish than a healthy can of tactical bacon. Embrace progress, take up your axes and clear all the trees so there's nowhere for tree huggers to hide!

..//..

I'll bet tree huggers get their hydration from ponds rather than Pipsi..//..

..//..

there ARE NO ponds in the North West. There is no water, the lakes are empty.

Last time I looked at the big NW lake - there was a dehydrated rabbit running around in the bottom of it.

And the trees have gone from the north region, there is no need to cut them down, most of the trees have already been cleared by sharecroppers and property developers. It's all farmland with the roads of future industry and housing laid out ready for the builders and the carloads of tourist-bandits.

Good country up there for a TANK BATTLE but no good for woodsmen and survivalists.

The remaining woods are so thin you can see right through most of them from one side to the other.

damn modernisation

it's no wonder the population got sick and died

Edited by pilgrim

there ARE NO ponds in the North West. There is no water, the lakes are empty.

Last time I looked at the big NW lake - there was a dehydrated rabbit running around in the bottom of it.

There's a perfectly good body of salt water if you run far enough... but you might die of dehydration or boredom trying. Devs need to get off their buts and provide a way to desalinate water so the tree huggers can get pushed further north where they belong, like the wildlings north of The Wall in Westeros.

Why the fuck do everybody want to have a copy/paste of the real life area ? That take a lot of time for nothing special really... they can create something that doesn't exist and this wouldn't take that much time...

Modeling map after reality means one big bonus and that the map "feels" realistic which is a big plus (atleast for me and my buddies).

I am sick of shitty made up maps like WarZ and majority of games have. Such maps often feel like artificial playground and not representation of an location that you could find somewhere.

So that is why I care...

Btw map is not COPY/PASTE of the real life, don't be thick.

And it would be cool if they expanded map west and north and added some forests.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 2

Modeling map after reality means one big bonus and that the map "feels" realistic which is a big plus (atleast for me and my buddies).

I am sick of shitty made up maps like WarZ and majority of games have. Such maps often feel like artificial playground and not representation of an location that you could find somewhere.

So that is why I care...

Btw map is not COPY/PASTE of the real life, don't be thick.

And it would be cool if they expanded map west and north and added some forests.

Well, they are basically using reality if they keep removing the forest  ;)

There's a perfectly good body of salt water if you run far enough... but you might die of dehydration or boredom trying. Devs need to get off their buts and provide a way to desalinate water so the tree huggers can get pushed further north where they belong, like the wildlings north of The Wall in Westeros.

you know nothing

• Like 1

Well, they are basically using reality if they keep removing the forest  ;)

Eh  I guess so :).

Still I ment realism of the whole map layout and how I appreciate that.

28hlgno.jpg

yeah and look at the size of this area - around 15% of the whole map? 70% of all wilderness?

no water

no lakes no streams no ponds no puddles no pumps nothing - zero water

the 2 lakes are still empty

no water, why?

Edited by pilgrim

I agree. Chernarus+ is getting too urbanized and loosing the original spirit...

The new neighborhoods in Cherno were a nice addition (even though the big apartment buildings in this new places are in contrast with the small buildings in Cherno itself...). Svet and even Novo (even though I have barely stopped around there) seemed like a correct addition to the map as well. However, the most recent additions seem unnecessary. Not only they won't almost get visited by players, but also they area eating up the wilderness that was a very important factor of the end-game in the mod. Great places to put your tents and hide vehicles, not to mention base building...

As it was pointed out in another thread it was already a shame to lose Pobeda tham, an historic landmark of Chernarus.

And some of the constructions actually don't make much of a sense. The Military Base in Pavlovo for example, what is the point of having it there in the middle of the forest? Was it built because of the infection?? Really? A 5 storey concrete hospital??? Same for the train station and coach yard west of Lopatino... that is one of the smallest towns of the map... 

I don't want to be critical. I like a lot of the new additions like the military bases in Zeleno, or north and south of the NWAF, and Svet and Novo probably bring some variety to the map as well, but I hope the devs manage to keep the spirit of the original Chernarus and the mod as the game advances towards release...

For a green Chernarus!

Edited by ahmedakbar
  • Like 1

Unless they expand the map, the secret bases everyone thinks will exist will unfortunately not exist. They are planning on making servers hold 100 players at a time. And with characters being saved to 1 server, you can expect many more to be playing on the same server. All these people, all these bases, and there is just not really that much room. Not to mention the amount of bandits that will trail you/randomly walk through the forest stumbling upon your camp.

Bases are good. But I have a feeling they don't plan to make it where you're going to stash 50 mosins and live the life of a farmer for 6 months.

Does this make you a combat logger? ;)

(HAH!)

Omg I just saw this and spit out my drink... yeah, I guess it does! LOL

28hlgno.jpg

yeah and look at the size of this area - around 15% of the whole map? 70% of all wilderness?

no water

no water, why?

There is a pump in the middle of a field in the north west. Some where near (within 1-3km) of 036-020.

Edited by gr8mghtyp00

28hlgno.jpg

no water

no water, why?

We've had this discussion before.

The red line you draw as a border, has multiple sources of water on it. A 3km hike (if you're on the extreme edge of the map) for water is fine by me. So it's debatable as to whether this is a problem in the first place.

Doesn't really matter that there are no water sources inside your borders, when it's a short hop to the ones which are on the borders.

Moreover, I'm not sure why we need water sources all over the place. Having them actually be relatively uncommon would encourage mobility and add consequence to survival.

Edited by Katana67

while im glad they are adding more towns and cities to the map, i dont like them doing it at the expense of vast forested areas. if your going to add more towns/cities make the map bigger, dont play paul bunyon with our wilderness.

• Like 1

no water, why?

Given how often it rains, you're never going to be short of water, wherever you are. It takes less than a minute to fill a canteen to 100% from 0% when it's raining. And anyway, it doesn't take long to jog to a water pump from any point in your designated area.

On top of that, the NW area will probably not remain wilderness for long, given the road layouts up there strongly suggesting planned urban sprawl.

There is a pump in the middle of a field in the north west. Some where near (within 1-3km) of 036-020.

if you look at the map I included - you see the three pumps close together in the West, just South of the red line ?

Ok, those three pumps are in a village, before the village turned up there was 1 pump in the middle of a field, as you say.

In the latest patch the village has vanished again, and we are back to one pump in the middle of the field.

It is the right-hand pump of the three marked, it is at 018 033

Check it out. That's why I drew the red line where I did.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#5.017.029

Given how often it rains, you're never going to be short of water, wherever you are. It takes less than a minute to fill a canteen to 100% from 0% when it's raining. And anyway, it doesn't take long to jog to a water pump from any point in your designated area.

On top of that, the NW area will probably not remain wilderness for long, given the road layouts up there strongly suggesting planned urban sprawl.

You give advice, but you never tried it - right ?

I can tell.

Check the title of this thread, its about wanting to KEEP wilderness as part of the gameplay

Saying - "it dont matter if there's no water its soon going to be urbanized" is kind of missing the point pillock

but thanx for your input

We've had this discussion before.

The red line you draw as a border, has multiple sources of water on it. A 3km hike (if you're on the extreme edge of the map) for water is fine by me. So it's debatable as to whether this is a problem in the first place.

Doesn't really matter that there are no water sources inside your borders, when it's a short hop to the ones which are on the borders.

Moreover, I'm not sure why we need water sources all over the place. Having them actually be relatively uncommon would encourage mobility and add consequence to survival.

yes we've had this discussion before.

I think your proposal to only have water sources around urban centers is fascinating. I agree that it will make wilderness survival more difficult, but this is not my point.

In the north of the map the terrain has already been created to include lakes, stream, standing water. It has been like this since the first days of the SA

However these water locations have NO WATER in them

You missed this when I pointed it out the first time.

You are in favor of retaining wilderness (trees, forest) so we agree on the main point.

There is not much wilderness left

Most of it has no water sources, although they have been included in the terrain, they are still dry.

All the urban areas have water sources

why ?

[edit: I must add - I absolutely agree with your original post here 100%]

Edited by pilgrim

If they do add a new terrain to the map I really hope it is drastically different from the Eastern and western parts of the map.

The West features rolling hills and flat earth with little forrests this is a drastic change compared tot he heavily forested east.

I wonder if a huge swamp or wetlands in the north would fit.