Katana67

Save The Trees Man! Marginalized Wilderness

OP what you have to remember is shit is going underground as well.

OP what you have to remember is shit is going underground as well.

Potentially. They haven't commented on the "bunker" situation in quite some time. They may have abandoned the idea, in fact, I vaguely remember them saying this. But I could be way off, and have no source to support that.

However, the more recent roadmap outlines that construction will take two forms - barricading existing structures and player-created construction.

Even if an "end-game" bunker is introduced, 95% of the persistent objects (i.e. tents, backpacks, stashes, vehicles, etc.) will be above ground.

By an independent journalist, not Dean.

"Much of DayZ’s increased scope has related to ambitious plans for underground base architecture" ~ Jeremy Peel, not Dean Hall

The only mention of the underground base, is from the author of the article... not the person being interviewed, meaning Rocket.

What Rocket actually said regarding construction, is this “As we’ve gone along some of the reasons why we felt we couldn’t build above ground have disappeared.

Meaning, "we can now build above ground." In other words, he's saying that underground bases aren't the only thing they can do now... because the barriers to construction above ground have been removed.

It still clearly states underground bases as an ambition though, all i'm saying is the op should remember there that all the factors are not known yet.

It still clearly states underground bases as an ambition though, all i'm saying is the op should remember there that all the factors are not known yet.

Right, but the ones we do know (i.e. tents [seen in the latest patch files], backpacks [mentioned numerous times as the first step toward persistence], vehicles [mentioned numerous times, on the roadmap, and commonly thought of as a "core" feature of DayZ], and barricading [stated plainly on the roadmap at Rezzed 2014]) all occur above-ground.

I'm glad to see that someone has made a topic on this, as I too feel that the urbanisation of Chernarus is encroaching on the wilderness that used to define it.

The only thing I can suggest, if they intend to keep urbanising, is that they  increase the boundaries of the map and fill it with wilderness to compensate. 

• Like 1

there is so much forest...

some towns up north dont hurt...just balance the mill base density a bit...

Quote from other thread:

The exact spot where Pobeda was is now occupied by a sector of Novodmitrovosk, so I doubt we'll see it reinstated there, but hopefully in some other location we can have it. There are very few bodies of water left, and unlike new towns or cities, they can put the dam in the middle of the wilderness without urbanizing it, something the devs have done a bit too much of, I may add. (I love the new towns & whatnot, I just wish they didn't have to be at the expense of so much wilderness. Here's to hoping they find a way to add "map jumping" or whatever, because expanding the map beyond the boundaries is not possible)

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202416-bring-pobeda-dam-back/

My question:

Is expanding map beyond boundaries really impossible which mean that we have lost the North wilderness forever now when it got urbanized?

• Like 1

Quote from other thread:

My question:

Is expanding map beyond boundaries really impossible which mean that we have lost the North wilderness forever now when it got urbanized?

I'd like to know if it's possible as well. It wouldn't have to be much, just a spare 3-4km outside the western boundaries (which would be about 45 square kilometers extra so maybe it is a lot).

Edited by Katana67

And what about wilderness inside cities ? Like the nature began to take over some cities.

I know that would maybe not follow the actual lore (which I'm still looking for it ...), but I think this would help to save some "wilderness" instead of having copy/paste cities (not exactly but you get my point).

I wouldn't mind to see the road full of grass and to see some trees growing in the city center ? This would maybe help to build some camp inside some wilderness cities no ? 

This was already talked before but this thread might be a good place to create a reminder for the dev ? 

Something like that :

Subway-depot.jpg?f8b09e

Instead of have clear and clean train rails... put some more grass ?

And in some cities :

dystopia%20abandoned%20city%20abandon%20

Maybe not that much, but it's a possibility that some cities were already abandoned before the zombies outbreak ?

Also this :

ngbbs4bba6834a5353.jpg

We would appreciate the wilderness part with the civilized one too ?

Edited by SuperMarco
  • Like 2

Quote from other thread:

My question:

I've worked with the map editor that they used to make Chernarus and there isn't an option to increase map size of pre-existing maps.

Theoretically they could make a larger plain and just paste over the pre-existing map, but I don't know if that would work, as I'm no expert on using it. It would definitely be a good question to ask the devs, though.

I've worked with the map editor that they used to make Chernarus and there isn't an option to increase map size of pre-existing maps.

Theoretically they could make a larger plain and just paste over the pre-existing map, but I don't know if that would work, as I'm no expert on using it. It would definitely be a good question to ask the devs, though.

I recall them saying that if they expanded the map, everything already existing, would be out of place. It is my understanding that the position of every building/object is relative to the others, so if you stretch a rubber band with two marks on it... those marks are going to stretch further apart and become distorted.

That could be way off though, not sure what that was in reference to specifically.

All they'd need to do is add a 3x15km wilderness buffer zone to the western edge of the map.

CaptureCherna_zps5ca04d67.jpg

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I hope they don't wreck the emptiness north of Svetlo. It's a nice place. 

I hope the new additions to the map are similar to Atlis I really like the rocky Mediterranean terrain in that map.

Big hills, rocky terrain, rockfaces , long sight lines on dry arid land.

Perfect land for setting up a base imo nothing can sneak up on you and you have great visibility.

arma3_gamescom_screenshot_07.jpg

lmek.png

Having such a drastic area of wilderness that extends west of the map that is far less monotone than the densely forested east would be pretty awesome.

Edited by gibonez

I recall them saying that if they expanded the map, everything already existing, would be out of place. It is my understanding that the position of every building/object is relative to the others, so if you stretch a rubber band with two marks on it... those marks are going to stretch further apart and become distorted.

That could be way off though, not sure what that was in reference to specifically.

All they'd need to do is add a 3x15km wilderness buffer zone to the western edge of the map.

CaptureCherna_zps5ca04d67.jpg

And definitely to the North, too. I'd like some more wilderness being the edge of the map rather than just cities with a thin line of trees and then debug plains. I mean, I hope one day, when technology is sufficient enough, that we get a map that accurately encompasses the entire planet (or at least an entire country). That would be so damn cool, especially with all of the things you could do. It's obviously a long way off, but technology will get there at some point.

On topic, yes, I agree, we need more wilderness.

I've always envisioned they could just create a larger blank plain and then copy & paste the built section of the map onto that, but that would require much more work than I'd like to think it does.

Since Chernarus is that hunk of real life Czech Republic, do you guys know if the areas you'd like added to the map are in fact woodsy?

Edit:  if you get too far north, you start to get into Dresden, decidedly not woodsy.

Edited by klesh

Since Chernarus is that hunk of real life Czech Republic, do you guys know if the areas you'd like added to the map are in fact woodsy?

I'm marginally sure that Chernarus (South Zagoria) doesn't follow the exact layout of Usti nad Labem, but only the general shape of the region is represented.

For example, fairly certain that location of the cities and airfields is more or less fictional.

CcxE2.jpg

So, it's not like the area to be added has to be forested in real life for it to be added to the map. As there are already massive discrepancies between South Zagoria and the real area of Czech that it is based upon (see the massive sea which borders South Zagoria, vice the landlocked country of the Czech Republic).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Aside of the sea being where the river is irl, what other massive discrepencies?  From what I have seen, granted this was mod-era, the map is pretty faithfully recreating the area.

Aside of the sea being where the river is irl, what other massive discrepencies?  From what I have seen, granted this was mod-era, the map is pretty faithfully recreating the area.

I mean, if you're concerned about a forested area being where it isn't, then certainly a sea being where it isn't should be of equal concern in and of itself.

Chernarus is based off of Usti nad Labem. Meaning it is faithful in its reproduction in certain areas, and unfaithful in others.

The locations become less accurate as you move north. The cities of Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk are pretty accurately placed, but Berezino is fairly out of place as are the new cities being placed along the east-west axis in the north. Likewise, there is no "E55" highway curving north-south like it is in Chernarus on the western side. That area has also been completely changed from the mod, as there is no longer a northern area near Skalka (because Skalka doesn't exist anymore). The airfields don't exist where they are in Usti nad Labem, and there is no dam in the north (Pobeda Dam, which has since been removed).

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I'm not concerned either way.  I was just trying to figure out how the developers have been approaching it.  :)

• Like 1

Why the fuck do everybody want to have a copy/paste of the real life area ? That take a lot of time for nothing special really... they can create something that doesn't exist and this wouldn't take that much time...

Why the fuck do everybody want to have a copy/paste of the real life area ? That take a lot of time for nothing special really... they can create something that doesn't exist and this wouldn't take that much time...

I've never heard anyone advocate for this in an absolute sense. I think, for one, that the decision was made before the release of ARMA II in 2009 (when DayZ wasn't even an idea) so it's sort of irrelevant taking issue with it. And secondly, there's a distinction between having something based on a location and just putting out a 1:1 reproduction of a real-world location.

And there's a lot of work in making a map, especially one the size of Chernarus. It's not like it's some whimsical action that they can just choose to do or not. It's a concerted effort which requires the devotion of a large amount of resources.

What bothers me to no end though, is the assertion that Chernarus = Russia. It just isn't supported by anything remotely logical. It's as if people forget that the universe in which DayZ is situated is one of fiction.

I love the area that Chernarus was based on. I think it's very unique.

And lest we forget, we're only playing in a small portion of Chernarus (i.e. South Zagoria).

arma_2_island_locations.jpg

There's still a huge opportunity for variation as well. Although, I doubt they'll ever come to the point where they're rendering the whole of Chernarus. But for the sake of argument, you could have the area around Novigrad be more "Mediterranean" and the border with Takistan be more arid. 

Simple solution - let people have lockboxes so they can store their gear indoors and put it behind fortification. I don't know why people are so dead-set on tents. The entirety of DayZ doesn't have to be designed around the concept of tents, there are other ways of persistent storage...

Frankly, the idea of filling the maps with empty forest just so people have places to hide their tents is retarded. They can add new ways to store and hide things.

Edited by t1337Dude

Frankly, the idea of filling the maps with empty forest just so people have places to hide their tents is retarded.

yes but us *ret-rded*  folk live in the forests, dude

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3