Sign in to follow this  
SoWeMeetAgain

why do YOU play DayZ?

Hello everyone.

Lately I just did not see a reason why I should play DayZ. Sure the start is fun, gathering stuff, kill a few zombies... but then you have stuff and it seems to me like the options now are dwindling. You can either try to kill other humans or talk to them. Which results mostly in someone getting killed.

There's no challenge, no story, nothing to achieve.

And considering I know what it feels like to get shot from somewhere you never even saw - I don't want to do that personally.

So I am at a loss of reason to play DayZ.

What are your reasons? And no, "for fun" and similar doesn't cut it obviously.

• Like 2

I have to agree, KoS mentality and the lack of attachment to characters lives is drastically reducing the amount of potential DayZ has for unscripted, unique player interactions.

Unfortunately this was bound to happen with the popularity of DayZ attracted the Battlefield Gears of Duty: VXI crowd. I'm hoping when they get bored and move on to the next bandwagon, we can start playing DayZ again instead of rougelike ARMA2 death match.

• Like 2

I played the mod as a hero, i found it hands down the best way to play
Unless they add distinct medical clothing or hero markers so I can display my intentions from a distance, i dunno...hopefully vehicles will rekindle the SA into a game that finally beats the mod for amount of stuff to actually do

Hello there

I tend to only play at "milestone" patches or when Im required to by the devs etc, also to keep up to date with any changes that might need addressing here.

It's far from a finished product at the moment, as as you know, this is early access so one can help assist steer development of the game.

If you want a finished game full of content then DAYZ is not the game you want to play, during this phase.

Rgds

Snoop LoK

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 3

I play to get better at sneaking around and staying hidden from other players.

• Like 2

Well, mostly I play because I love the actual idea behind it, the survival aspect. If you don't want to get KOS'd, either head north or be extremely stealthy.

What with hunting, fire and cooking coming up, it's gonna be a whole different world.

I suggest that you do what OrLoK mentioned. Wait for a big update either experimental or stable, then see if that made you change the way you look at the game.

• Like 3

Well, mostly I play because I love the actual idea behind it, the survival aspect. If you don't want to get KOS'd, either head north or be extremely stealthy.

Then you're missing out on the biggest draw of DayZ; unique, unscripted, dynamic & unpredictable player interactions. 

Unfortunately KoS is very predictable, the only way to have a non-KoS interaction is to be in 100% control of it currently.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 1

Hello everyone.

Lately I just did not see a reason why I should play DayZ. Sure the start is fun, gathering stuff, kill a few zombies... but then you have stuff and it seems to me like the options now are dwindling. You can either try to kill other humans or talk to them. Which results mostly in someone getting killed.

There's no challenge, no story, nothing to achieve.

And considering I know what it feels like to get shot from somewhere you never even saw - I don't want to do that personally.

So I am at a loss of reason to play DayZ.

What are your reasons? And no, "for fun" and similar doesn't cut it obviously.

Hopefully with the intent of this becoming a REAL zombie/infestation game and not a extremely PG dumbed down version of one.

The lack of dead bodies, gore, cuts, wounds, bruises and what not really leave much to be desired atm.

Edited by Deathlove

Scruffy Bandit, Yeah, I know, it is a two edged sword. It's partly sad, but then again, I believe it will evolve over time. Snipers have to be careful about ruining their victims stuff with their shot, and hopefully at some pint every single gunshot draws a herd of Zed's towards the shooter.

Edited by Demonica

I have to agree, KoS mentality and the lack of attachment to characters lives is drastically reducing the amount of potential DayZ has for unscripted, unique player interactions.

Unfortunately this was bound to happen with the popularity of DayZ attracted the Battlefield Gears of Duty: VXI crowd. I'm hoping when they get bored and move on to the next bandwagon, we can start playing DayZ again instead of rougelike ARMA2 death match.

When that happens you will loose a rather large player base and possible funding for the project.

You must not like Gmod or Minecraft very much then

indeed, never played either of those

I can see why one would play them for a while - the challenge. But when there's no challenge and no story ... why do YOU keep playing?

I like trying to track other players without them noticing me :)

Hopefully with the intent of this becoming a REAL zombie/infestation game and not a extremely PG dumbed down version of one.

The lack of dead bodies, gore, cuts, wounds, bruises and what not really leave much to be desired atm.

Hello there

One thing that DAYZ will ever be is anything like that Infestation Game, which IS a dumbed down version of A survival sim.

Rgds

Snoop LoK

Edited by kichilron

Hello there

One thing that DAYZ will ever be is anything like that Infestation Game, which IS a dumbed down version of A survival sim.

Rgds

Snoop LoK

Dayz is still extremely PG though at the moment no matter how you defend it as a survival game. There are elements of survival but its still to tame and combat is still to damn tame.

• Like 1

To scavenge for items... I have a minor packrat/ hoarding problem

To explore the world ( still fairly new to the game, and they are occasionally adding new stuff.)

To help people ( just cause I'm a nice guy, and it helps keep me from walking around with a full inventory with nothing to do with it.)

To have fun and tense situations with others. ( I don't play on full servers that often and I usually avoid major cities, so I'm still at that stage where every time I see someone or hear a gunshot it sends me into instant panic mode, plus it's always great to see that panic relieved when the guy you see isn't an ass)

To work on talking to people. ( main reason for the panic mentioned above is probably an innate social phobia. In some ways friendly players scare me more than KOSers. Lol)

--------------------

I do agree though, that some kind of story or goal would be cool, though it could take away from the openness, free, roleplay, sandbox aspects if done wrong. For me, some more unique buildings, notes, graffiti, dead bodies in interesting positions, etc. would be enough. However.... There's only so much they can do with the ARMA assests, and server load restrictions.

Thrill of the hunt...

Every encounter is new and dynamic

Edited by execpro22

Dayz is still extremely PG though at the moment no matter how you defend it as a survival game. There are elements of survival but its still to tame and combat is still to damn tame.

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB.

Hello there

Its no less tame than Arma or the Mod was and I never saw many complaints about that aspect with those.

Regardless, that is off topic.

I think its best to get back on.

Rgds

LoK

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB.

There is that but i feel they could go farther with it if they really wanted.

I make my own story. Every character is a new life, a new story. Every decision a new twist to the plot. That's the point of games like DayZ that have no story. You aren't bound by what the "campaign" says you are and what you have to do. You don't have to be "Sgt. Paul Jackson of the USMC" or "CJ from Grovestreet". You are free to be whoever you want. You could be "James Eagle the stripper/secret agent" if you really wanted to. Its all about imagination.

I also try and change the route I go after spawning and keep it interesting.

If you repeat the same path over and over of course it gets boring. 

You seem to falsly oversimplify what I was saying. "No story" isn't the only thing - it is no story AND no challenge and no novelty etc pp