Sign in to follow this  
Katana67

Opening Doors Still A Chore

Pretty long-standing issue with how doors are handled. Figure it might be another aspect made worse by the removal of the crosshair-dot (which I fully support).

Some doors require the player to look at the door itself to close/open it.

Others require the player to look at the empty space in the doorway for the door to close.

Most require the player to stand still searching for the arbitrary box in which we can open/close doors.

Perhaps this could be looked into further down the line. I'd love for it to be a bit more intuitive, would probably be the easiest solution. Maybe a fixed animation could be added for opening/closing doors (i.e. large bay doors, single doors, gates, etc.)

Maybe something like this (*gasp* It's KAWED).

Price_opening_shed_door_Hunted_CoD4.jpg

Either way, I'd just be fine with more responsive doors. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 6

Even more difficult closing them. Not to mention gates, especially the big ones around industrial facilities. It is almost impossible to find the right spot to close them. Add being under pressure to close them again because you are being followed by a crew of people and you don't want them to notice you passed through there, yet you still have to spend a couple of minutes twisting and turning to find the exact goddam pixel that closes those huge gates. Not a pleasant experience.

• Like 8

The removal of that dot is going to cause more headaches then it will solve. Loot and interactive items need better interaction areas so that they are not as finicky. Currently the interaction with doors and looting items is clunky and touchy. You can clearly see items yet because you are not perfectly aiming at a certain point no options are available.

Edited by Canned Muffins
  • Like 4

The removal of that dot is going to cause more headaches then it will solve. Loot and interactive items need better interaction areas so that they are not as finicky. Currently the interaction with doors and looting items is clunky and touchy. You can clearly see items yet because you are not perfectly aiming at a certain point no options are available.

I don't really have an issue with the crosshair-dot removal so long as they make item interactions a bit more intuitive. 

Hard for me to not sound like a dumbass when I say this. But, RV's always been pretty shitty at having separate entities (be it items and players, players and items) interact properly.

Gates are the most frustrating thing in OFP, ArmA 2, Operation Arrowhead, Arma 3, and DayZ. It's just dumb. A mil sim where your military doesn't teach you how to push or pull but you can sprint a hundred miles without stopping.

The way ArmA and TOH handles opening/closing doors is by making it realistic to real life...you look at the handle of door/gate and then click the use function. :P Not quite understanding how that is hard. xD Although gates...they're bugged as hell. >.>

• Like 1

Doors should make a noise when they open, it's bull **** that every door in the rust filled world is completely silent

• Like 1

Doors should make a noise when they open, it's bull **** that every door in the rust filled world is completely silent

Agreed, although I distinctly remember this being discussed to death. Performed a search on the doors being crappy, and I didn't turn much up. I think most of the discussion happened pre-SA forum, as I do remember talking about it.

Doors need sound. Which could possibly play into making a fixed animation for opening/closing doors, in tandem with their new "powering up/down" animations for throwing/arrows, so that one could close doors slowly rather than slamming them.

• Like 3

The way ArmA and TOH handles opening/closing doors is by making it realistic to real life...you look at the handle of door/gate and then click the use function. :P Not quite understanding how that is hard. xD Although gates...they're bugged as hell. >.>

But it isn't how it works in ARMA, or DayZ. It just isn't.

I look at door handles, doors, and it doesn't do jack. Then I back up two feet, stare at the empty space where the door used to be and suddenly I can close the door!

It doesn't work "realistically" by any means.

• Like 1

Lightbulb.

What's preventing them from applying the new physics to doors? Rather than have the whole action of opening/closing doors be one action, why not just have us push open/closed doors?

But it isn't how it works in ARMA, or DayZ. It just isn't.

I look at door handles, doors, and it doesn't do jack. Then I back up two feet, stare at the empty space where the door used to be and suddenly I can close the door!

It doesn't work "realistically" by any means.

In ArmA yes it works like that, DayZ Standalone it's like a RNG. (Not literally) xD They generally use the same system but it just isn't implemented correctly. Due to it being Alpha of course.  B)

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

In ArmA yes it works like that, DayZ Standalone it's like a RNG. (Not literally) xD They generally use the same system but it just isn't implemented correctly.

No, in ARMA II and DayZ mod, the doors functioned exactly the same (if not worse than) as in the standalone. It's nothing peculiar to the standalone.

It's always been an issue, one acknowledged by Dean in the past and one that has been rectified in non-DayZ mods for ARMA II.

I had this problem in the mod, except I opened far fewer doors on average because there were exponentially fewer buildings.

Edited by Katana67

No, in ARMA II and DayZ mod, the doors functioned exactly the same (if not worse than) as in the standalone. It's nothing peculiar to the standalone.

It's always been an issue, one acknowledged by Dean in the past and one that has been rectified in non-DayZ mods for ARMA II.

I had this problem in the mod, except I opened far fewer doors on average because there were exponentially fewer buildings.

I wouldn't say worse, the ArmA 2 door system is way less glitchy. Also, I will have to play ArmA 2 again later then to check out the doors and gates. 

"door opening animation"

"open a door slowly, peek inside"

"set traps on doors"

"barricade and shutter doors"

many things about doors can be better

• Like 1

(Example) Skip to 2:40 and he accidently does the appopriate thing to open the door without using the [ ] keys. (He looks at the door handle) Also, this is the same system in Arma 2 and even back in Cold War Crisis.  (Still a ewww type of system to open a door/gate.)

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

How about the fact that you can open a door on the 1st floor when you're standing in a room above it on the 2nd floor?

Always makes me chuckle when I see that. But anyways, yeah doors are totally buggered right now. :P

It isn't nearly that simple or intuitive. Doors are finicky as all hell. Add in the delays in the context menus, or the fact that some doors can be interacted with from the floor above or below them...

Edited by louist

It isn't nearly that simple or intuitive. Doors are finicky as all hell. Add in the delays in the context menus, or the fact that some doors can be interacted with from the floor above or below them...

True on that and also the delay part is due to desync or lag too. :3

The most annoying thing is that light on flashlight, reload mag and that kind of stuff are cluttered in the same menu with door opening.

We need this in the engine: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161146-KEYS-No-action-menu

Door opening needs to relay on the line of sight but also they really need to improve how doors and gates get detected in your view. Now you need to watch the exact model and sometimes even that isn't enough which is very clunky. I suggest everyone who hasn't to watch those Sakura's keys and the Dslyecxi's action menu must die videos what could be achievable if the put little effort on this thing. Smooth experience could be possible even in this engine.

Btw Dsly and if I remember right also Sakura shows that opening doors only a little could be done.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Agreed, although I distinctly remember this being discussed to death. Performed a search on the doors being crappy, and I didn't turn much up. I think most of the discussion happened pre-SA forum, as I do remember talking about it.

Doors need sound. Which could possibly play into making a fixed animation for opening/closing doors, in tandem with their new "powering up/down" animations for throwing/arrows, so that one could close doors slowly rather than slamming them.

First time i opened a door on Napf in those new houses the sound it made ( not really the sound rather the fact that it actually made a sound )  scared the shit out of me...

I hate doors and ladders in Arma and it's just unacceptable that in 2014 they're still using the shitty ass scroll menu and even Arma 3, whilst it has improved the door and ladder points still has issues. It's a fucking door and a ladder how hard can it be! I think in Arma 2 and before, to climb a ladder you had to look at a rung, precisely - No. The ladder should be a solid object from the perspective of opening it.

Some things I don't understand about BIS. Someone makes a mod that does something 100 times better than the stock game and in the next version they completely ignore it. I don't know anyone that plays Arma who has ever said doors and ladders weren't a PITA. I can't think of a single other game where I had issues with doors that frustrate me as much as Arma/DayZ does.

yeah, and there should be doors where you have to click a button really fast to open to, i don´t know, anyway, beans for you.

There should be two animations when opening doors... One animation should be a quick one where you just throw open the doors, may be theres a penalty, like the doors making a loud ass sound... Then the second one is when you have your fist raised, where the door will open slow and half way, where you can peak into the room, may be even possibly shoot into the room, but the penalty is your toon cannot move from the door, he is attached holding the door, downfall is someone can shoot him through the door

Very interesting videos.

One thing that struck me, is why do all of the doors open out? Most of the doors around me (just using the interior/exterior doors of my apartment) open into the rooms they lead into.

It's sort of annoying getting smacked in the face with a door every time you want to enter a building in DayZ. But I suspect a lot of it has to do with how close you have to get and how hit-or-miss the door opening/closing is.

Edited by Katana67