Mukaparska

DayZ should always be about survival...

When I sleep in the real world, I can wake up. And I don't sleep for 23 hours a day.

You want danger? Come attack my base with me in it.

It's not about danger or not.

It's about a simple question.

Should a player not be vulnerable at all times?

It's a matter of persistence.

What? No...

If I build something, and then log out, will the items magically disappear?

That is the non-cheap and unrealistic alternative?

Everything magically disappears??

How about this: If you want to be able to defend your base, you need people manning it. If not, you will not be able to defend your base.

I'm not sure how people imagine base building, but some people seem to imagine it as some kind of Field Fortification with a huge pile of supplies, weapons and vehicles that have been hoarded for two weeks...

""If you want to be able to defend your base, you need people manning it.""

If DayZ was real, you would always be there to man it. As there are other things in life than DayZ (shocking, I know), we must somehow compensate for that.

If DayZ was real, you would always be there to man it. As there are other things in life than DayZ (shocking, I know), we must somehow compensate for that.

Well guess what if you weren't there to defend the base tough luck.

The game should not hold your hand just because you can only dedicate a tiny bit of time.

It's not about danger or not.

It's about a simple question.

Should a player not be vulnerable at all times?

It's a matter of persistence.

The character should be at risk at all times the player is actively playing the game. When the player is not playing the game, he / she should not be considered an active player and the character and its accumulated efforts should not exist.

Well guess what if you weren't there to defend the base tough luck.

The game should not hold your hand just because you can only dedicate a tiny bit of time.

You're asking for 24/7

Get real or get out.

The character should be at risk at all times the player is actively playing the game. When the player is not playing the game, he / she should not be considered an active player and the character and its accumulated efforts should not exist.

You're asking for 24/7

Get real or get out.

That sounds terrible.

Like an easy mode. Without risk there is no payoff.

That sounds terrible.

Like an easy mode. Without risk there is no payoff.

Again, get real.

You're the one who's asking for empty bases. Where's the challenge in that? Grinding the explosives?

Again, get real.

You're the one who's asking for empty bases. Where's the challenge in that? Grinding the explosives?

Empty bases would be rare. You honestly think they are going to make base building doable for a lone person?

Base building will require a group of people and tons of resources.

These bases with multiple people will be defended at all times.

Empty bases would be rare. You honestly think they are going to make base building doable for a lone person?

Another grind fest? What other horrors do you have in store?

What I need is a rope and some tarp to stay dry and a "crate" for permanent storage. After finishing that I could work on defenses like camouflaged walls and subtle tricks to guide players away from my base. Then maybe I can think of a way to get a fire going without everybody in a 3 km radius knowing about it. The minimalistic approach calls for plenty of grind already.

""You honestly think they are going to make base building doable for a lone person?""

Yes. It's an essential part of survival. Also for lone wolves.

""These bases with multiple people will be defended at all times.""

Lol, you would need 8 members (preferably from different timezones) on 3 hour shifts doing nothing but standing guard to get a 1 man round the clock defense. That is life. DayZ is not.

But DayZ is not real and you will not always be there to man it.

Why solve this with magical disappearing fortresses?

But DayZ is not real and you will not always be there to man it.

Why solve this with magical disappearing fortresses?

How else would you solve it?

Imo the "fortresses" should stay as scenery btw, not disappear. You should be able to spot a base whether the owner is online or not.

How else would you solve it?

Imo the "fortresses" should stay as scenery btw, not disappear. You should be able to spot a base whether the owner is online or not.

You don't solve it...

If noone is in the base, I should be able to do whatever I want (and can) with it. Do you really think bases are going to be some kind of field fortification? I hope not...

You don't solve it...

If noone is in the base, I should be able to do whatever I want (and can) with it. Do you really think bases are going to be some kind of field fortification? I hope not...

If you don't solve it, you get all the problems I already mentioned.

Do you want bases accessible only to groups of 20 or more?

Nice, none of my three comments were published here by moderators... Nice... 

E: I'll just spew similar shit again then, no need to publish them

Edited by Mukaparska

But I don't want to survive... I want to live and thrive, rebuild my home town defend it and try and get things back go a form of normal. Like what I would do in a real situation like this.

That and I want to have a city or area secured where zombies can't spawn as like a safe haven. For new spawns, and the veterans alike to meet up share supllies, get away from the fact that they had to kill their own infected family, group up, create a city that is only successful because of people working together to do more than survive.

But instead you suggest that we have to keep looking over our backs, for zombies and players alike, constantly move and look for basic necessities almost constantly and never try and create a sense of social or community interaction outside of your group of 5-6 guys killing everyone they see afraid to go near other survivors.

But the main point of this game is exactly surviving and looking for basic necessities. If you don't like it, don't play this and play some Minecraft instead. Of course I could suggest they could add FPS shooting and zombie breakout to Gran Turismo 6 since I don't like driving cars.  Or then I could play some FPS shooter zombie game? 

Why? I can build a quick multi-person shelter, with room for firewood and gear, out of general forest materials in roughly 2 hours. I can build a really good shelter (fire reflector, wood drying racks, actual swamp beds) in 6 to 7 hours.

For some reason, I think people think of base-building as this massive "mansion"-thing hidden in the woods. That is entirely unrealistic. Your shelter is just for sleeping; you do everything else outside of the base, if only for protection from animals.

In real life, wilderness survival shelters and hiking base camps are rather spread out, think "at least 200 feet from each section" spread out. If someone concentrates all of their stuff in one easy-to-see spot, then that is their own damn problem.

Don't want someone to find your stuff when you are logged out? Stash it, either in a tree (which I've done in real life. Stashed food in an ammo can up a tree for 3 weeks, came back to it and it was fine) or bury it in a hole. If you leave it by your sleeping shelter, you almost DESERVE to have  your sleeping quarters raided by animals or other people...

What? No...

If I build something, and then log out, will the items magically disappear?

That is the non-cheap and unrealistic alternative?

Everything magically disappears??

How about this: If you want to be able to defend your base, you need people manning it. If not, you will not be able to defend your base.

I'm not sure how people imagine base building, but some people seem to imagine it as some kind of Field Fortification with a huge pile of supplies, weapons and vehicles that have been hoarded for two weeks...

MGC doesn't want bases that become invisible when you log out. He wants bases that are completely impenetrable so that he doesn't have to worry about them when he is offline for a couple days in a row, and everything will be nice and safe whenever he decides to log back in. Silly, I know.

But I guess he doesn't want to have to worry about hiding it at all, and he probably always wants his vehicle safe and his pile of weapons there when he needs them. Terrible game play, I know. I tried explaining it too him in simple terms but he doesn't seem to get the problem with his idea.

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Like 1

If you don't solve it, you get all the problems I already mentioned.

Do you want bases accessible only to groups of 20 or more?

Like what? People taking your stuff? People being cowards? What is it that you already have mentioned?

Why would bases only be accessible to groups of 20 or more? That sounds like a very arbitrary number

MGC doesn't want bases that become invisible when you log out. He wants bases that are completely impenetrable so that he doesn't have to worry about them when he is offline for a couple days in a row, and everything will be nice and safe whenever he decides to log back in. Silly, I know.

But I guess he doesn't want to have to worry about hiding it at all, and he probably always wants his vehicle safe and his pile of weapons there when he needs them. Terrible game play, I know. I tried explaining it too him in simple terms but he doesn't seem to get the problem with his idea.

Yea his suggestion completely negates the purpose of the game.

Makes the game easy.

What I cannot comprehend is how he can try to twist it and say its the opposite.

Nice, none of my three comments were published here by moderators... Nice... 

Sorry, I wasn't online. I have approved them.

Edited by Inception.

Let's do what mgc wants, find the server he plays on, hoard all of the rare items and never log in again.

Let's do what mgc wants, find the server he plays on, hoard all of the rare items and never log in again.

Make sure to nab all the vehicles and set up the base right outside Elektro. Preferably in the shape of a giant dick, if possible.

You want bases to be defenseless for 23 hours a day so you can rape them at your leisure. I've spelled it out for you on numerous occasions and I see no need for further insult. I mean discussion.

Like what? People taking your stuff? People being cowards? What is it that you already have mentioned?

Why would bases only be accessible to groups of 20 or more? That sounds like a very arbitrary number

Like people taking your stuff when you're comatosed. Like a bunch of cheapskate cowards. I think we've covered this.

It's logistics, mate. Make a realistic schedule and see what you need.

Yea his suggestion completely negates the purpose of the game.

Makes the game easy.

What I cannot comprehend is how he can try to twist it and say its the opposite.

yeah, likewise.

Make sure to nab all the vehicles and set up the base right outside Elektro. Preferably in the shape of a giant dick, if possible.

Where is the dawn when you need it, ey?

You want bases to be defenseless for 23 hours a day so you can rape them at your leisure. I've spelled it out for you on numerous occasions and I see no need for further insult. I mean discussion.

Like people taking your stuff when you're comatosed. Like a bunch of cheapskate cowards. I think we've covered this.

It's logistics, mate. Make a realistic schedule and see what you need.

yeah, likewise.

Where is the dawn when you need it, ey?

From the looks of it everyone thinks your idea is terrible and you should feel bad, mate. Hope this helps you gain some perspective and grow as a person. You'll be in my thoughts little guy, never give up.

• Like 1

Why? I can build a quick multi-person shelter, with room for firewood and gear, out of general forest materials in roughly 2 hours. I can build a really good shelter (fire reflector, wood drying racks, actual swamp beds) in 6 to 7 hours.

For some reason, I think people think of base-building as this massive "mansion"-thing hidden in the woods. That is entirely unrealistic. Your shelter is just for sleeping; you do everything else outside of the base, if only for protection from animals.

In real life, wilderness survival shelters and hiking base camps are rather spread out, think "at least 200 feet from each section" spread out. If someone concentrates all of their stuff in one easy-to-see spot, then that is their own damn problem.

Don't want someone to find your stuff when you are logged out? Stash it, either in a tree (which I've done in real life. Stashed food in an ammo can up a tree for 3 weeks, came back to it and it was fine) or bury it in a hole. If you leave it by your sleeping shelter, you almost DESERVE to have  your sleeping quarters raided by animals or other people...

Good to see another bushwhacker here.  Hope to see you around the campfire cooking up some tin can bread with wildberry jam and dandelion tea.

Of course, you wont see me ;)

I still don't get the problem with people taking your stuff when you are logged off.

It's not like bases are going to be field fortifications, and it's not like you are supposed to use bases to hoard items.

If you have a base everyone can find, but you can't man it to defend it, what do you expect, really?