Mukaparska

DayZ should always be about survival...

Is anyone else worried that this game might get too far from its original point in the future? I mean, many people want some sort of security cameras and similar things for this game so they can occupy a place entirely and stay there. Personally I think it would go too far, since this game is about survival, not anything like that. Cars are fine, maybe even an unarmed helicopter, and some sort of tents and sleeping places, but that's pretty much about it. Also I'm against of million different kind of servers, since I hate when so many games have 100 bullshit servers and 2 good servers. Anyone agree with me, at least with the first part? 

• Like 8

Yeah, I agree. I don't want them adding all this gimmicky stuff and I'd prefer they'd stay on the main point of the game, which is a zombie apocalypse survival simulator. I don't want all these security cameras and stuff. I like what you said they should add, like tents, cars, and heli's, but I also think they should try to add more reasons not to be a bandit or at least not to KOS. While bandits are needed for the game to thrive, I think there should be a nice balance.

• Like 1

How is occupying a town not survival?

this.

Well - judging by op point of view - the walking dead tv show is not a survival. 

• Like 1

I also do not understand. Exploring or fortifying are both valid survival strategies.

Take note that in DayZ you do not need to sleep, hence you can easily stick with just the exploration part.  You also have a solid state of mind all the time, hence you don't need a place called "home".

Anyway, if you want to strip the word "survival" to the bare meaning, the term encompasses ANY and ALL strategies that ensure your ongoing existence, regardless of you digging a hole in the ground and staying there, or constantly traversing the planes. 

[EDIT]

IMO, I'm all for security cameras, traps, mines, alarms or any other security measures. :)

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

Sounds like 90% of the development focus this year is on survival, so you're in luck.

If you can secure a location, and are willing to spend the energy on security cameras, I don't see how that is not part of survival. Personally I'd go with claymore mines.

Keep in mind that they will add barricading.

So if you want to keep a house secured, just smack some planks up on that bitch and you're good to go!

Now, jokes aside, I do believe that with hunting, barricading and the game getting better (Less buggy, more realistic, etc), I do think people will stop KOSing, at least I hope.

Also, no offense, but where the hell did you hear that people want Security Cameras?

The things your talking about are urban survival things, which i would like to see. being able to barricade and feel like you have a "home" of some sort. I wouldnt really like the idea of cameras though :/, maybe being able to make a kind of safe community by havign walls and guards and such.

If anyone was placed in a situation like this irl , their first priorties would be to find shelter, or build makeshift housing and get food. I don't see why this is a problem., People still need to venture out for supplies and ammunition etc. Okay maybe security cameras and whatnot is maybe going a bit too far, but I don't recall anyone posting about them? Base building and barricading is fine.

Cameras would not be on my list as anything requiring power in the future should be last resort. (assuming game setting isn't years into apocalypse - then all is fair game). I do think barricading, improvised alarm systems, and IED's would spice up the 'let's occupy Balota' fun....

• Like 1

Security cameras?  You gonna run those on your 9V battery?

If some how you can run a defibrilator on a 9v battery it wouldnt be a huge jump to run a camera on one lol ... Although i think id stick to making traps to catch those sneaking in rather than high tech camera work but thats just me . A good trip wire connected to a home made grenade would give me all the warning i need and may render the attacker/ intruder in a state not needinga response from me other than come check if there is anything usable left on there body ..

I want base building, fortifying, crafting, vehicles, more guns and gear, some sort of player economy... all the stuff the OP apparently dosent want.

Basically I want all the stuff that would actually make DayZ a functional game.... you know.... A GAME.  Not the running simulator it currently is.

Crazy I know.

• Like 1

I want base building, fortifying, crafting, vehicles, more guns and gear, some sort of player economy... all the stuff the OP apparently dosent want.

Basically I want all the stuff that would actually make DayZ a functional game.... you know.... A GAME.  Not the running simulator it currently is.

Crazy I know.

There is a player economy.  People kill each other and steal the loot. 

There is a player economy.  People kill each other and steal the loot. 

I would like more depth than that... although I fully support killing and looting people  :D

I agree in that helicopters with gatling guns were way overpowered and had no place in DayZ. Especially if the only counter was not in-game or removed altogether (AS50 anyone?).

Also, the kill on sight mentality would drop hard if there were thousands of zombies, that were hard to kill (headshot only or tons of body shots) and hit way harder too.

It's more deathmatch than survival, and I will be waiting a long time til it is the opposite :(

An another note, speaking of IED's, those would be amazingly fun. Grenades/smoke grenades/explosives in general were tons of fun in the mod, even if just using a smoke grenade to attract a horde of zombies to a player in a building when you had no ammo to take them out lol, or just preferred to remain quiet and unnoticed.

Edited by bonesnap

My thinking on this is if there is a way to to create rustic, home-made traps etc. then sure, throw them in. Like say... An axe tripped to drop if someone was to step on a wire, or glass bottles which make loud noises if someone walks through them.

Security cameras seem a step too far - how would it be powered? Connect the camera to... What, exactly? A monitor? Definitely not some sort of HUD, IMO. I can maybe see a simple, grainy image being shown on a screen in your barricade, but at the same time this camera would/should be able to be destroyed by any intruders.

Vehicles should be scarce and unreliable; granted we don't know how long has passed since the infection/zombiefication outbreak (do we?) but all the bits & pieces - fuel included - have a shelf-life, which would need to be maintained etc. I find it quite funny how many cars are fully-functional and used so liberally in many post-apocalypse pieces of fiction.

Though at the same time, if there is a large group of players capable of working together for prolonged periods of time to maintain an entire 'base' - and all the pieces are in the game, somewhere - then it would be a cool idea to attempt to build a productive society. Though that might be a stretch to implement, given current technology & the general gist of what's to come.

Basically, I like the idea if it's conceivable in a remote area void of hi-tech know-how.

• Like 2

Security cameras?  You gonna run those on your 9V battery?

Seems like a good reason for generators to be in the game. Obviously they would be rare and probably need a vehicle to transport, as well as needing gasoline to run.

My thinking on this is if there is a way to to create rustic, home-made traps etc. then sure, throw them in. Like say... An axe tripped to drop if someone was to step on a wire, or glass bottles which make loud noises if someone walks through them.

Security cameras seem a step too far - how would it be powered? Connect the camera to... What, exactly? A monitor? Definitely not some sort of HUD, IMO. I can maybe see a simple, grainy image being shown on a screen in your barricade, but at the same time this camera would/should be able to be destroyed by any intruders.

Vehicles should be scarce and unreliable; granted we don't know how long has passed since the infection/zombiefication outbreak (do we?) but all the bits & pieces - fuel included - have a shelf-life, which would need to be maintained etc. I find it quite funny how many cars are fully-functional and used so liberally in many post-apocalypse pieces of fiction.

Though at the same time, if there is a large group of players capable of working together for prolonged periods of time to maintain an entire 'base' - and all the pieces are in the game, somewhere - then it would be a cool idea to attempt to build a productive society. Though that might be a stretch to implement, given current technology & the general gist of what's to come.

Basically, I like the idea if it's conceivable in a remote area void of hi-tech know-how.

Ever hear of generators and batteries .

Cameras would not be that far fetched but I fail to see the point of cameras when the game stupidly lets you see over cover and walls.

Limit the number of servers, up the number of players to something stupid like 500 players, it'll be about nothing other than surviving!

At some point survival turns in to organized survival, then civilization followed by wars, trade, politics and all the other good stuff a growing sandbox game needs.

I want creative base building, not just barricading.

I want player designed coachwork on vehicles.

I want more than just hanging on by my fingernails.

You don't want that in DayZ?

• Like 1

Ever hear of generators and batteries .

Cameras would not be that far fetched but I fail to see the point of cameras when the game stupidly lets you see over cover and walls.

I'm not really thinking about this in terms of realism - more in keeping within the theme of the game (or at least, with the way I'd like to see it progress). Yeah, sure, stick down a generator and power your private security system. Hell, hook it up to the microwave while you're at it... Where does it stop?

Maybe generators will make an appearance? I hope not... Again, I like the rustic, gritty nature to the game. But at the same time, if something is presented in a well-constructed, meaningful way that makes sense (not like.... Say... A fully-functional tank makes an appearance) then sure.

• Like 1

I'm not really thinking about this in terms of realism - more in keeping within the theme of the game (or at least, with the way I'd like to see it progress). Yeah, sure, stick down a generator and power your private security system. Hell, hook it up to the microwave while you're at it... Where does it stop?

Maybe generators will make an appearance? I hope not... Again, I like the rustic, gritty nature to the game. But at the same time, if something is presented in a well-constructed, meaningful way that makes sense (not like.... Say... A fully-functional tank makes an appearance) then sure.

I can understand where you are coming from and from the setting of the game the rustic feel will remain.

However it would not be too far fetched for these things to be implemented. Technology does not simply disappear and the cameras, wiring, and generators would be available although I would imagine would be quite rare.

Limit the number of servers, up the number of players to something stupid like 500 players, it'll be about nothing other than surviving!

^^^^^

This.

You would have to totally up the loot spawn but I would prefer that anyway. 

Fortifying bases would be good, and I think this should come when vehicles come since you don't really need bases until there's vehicles. They should also add epoch to DayZ. Just the building part though. I don't think they should add the traders from epoch. Security cameras would be realistic, but need to be extremely rare, and hard to get the materials to make them fully working. Since it's a zombie apocalypse, anything with working technology should be EXTREMELY rare. The rarest items in the game in my opinion.