SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Zombies are great. Don't change them**, just add more.

**They aren't great due to the clipping. You can't have these current zombies when no objects stop them. Fix the clipping, then adjust the zombies. 

Than i see no purpose in guns if this is going to be a constant issue due to magic respawn.

Fair enough.  Looks like it's back to CoD for you if you can't adapt your play style as the game develops; I used to loot towns with my gun ready, now it's my fireaxe.  The devs have actually made it easier for you pvp'ers - axe-guy isn't going to shoot back is he?  Or do you ease back on the trigger if you don't want to ring the dinner bell just yet?

Decisions which previously bypassed the pvp'ers non-existent morality filter now get caught in their tactical one.  Or, as is blindingly obvious from the amount of "ZOMG!! ZOBMIES IS TOO HARD!!1ONE1!!" posts, just result in complaints about how the (alpha - there, I said it) game is broken, the zeds are broken, the guns are broken, the loot is broken, the spawns are broken ad infinitum. 

Maybe the players are broken?

Guys, you need to chew on this before you decide:

Current zombies are not zombies really, they do NOT transmit a zombie virus onto a player. This is why you do not feel the threat of a slow walking pack, or from individual zeds that pop out of nowhere.

Imagine if a single bite or a scratch could infect you unless you immediately amputated limb that was bitten. Imagine if a clan member that you're traveling with suddenly jumped on you to chew on your ear because he was infected without knowing it...

Rocket and the rest of devs must to go back to the basics of this genre if they want to deliver an awesome zombie game and I really wish they do find the inspiration and new energy needed for the job.

zombie-block-party-greets-the-ds-and-col

I agree. The threat of zombies should be numbers, and your stamina. You can only run so far, where as the zombies will constantly march towards you. Meaning if you don't plan it right you are going to be forced to barricade <<<(remember dynamic base building) yourself in a small house in town. Attacking the zombies thu the windows, or waiting for them to leave, maybe jumping out the back window of the house, climbing onto the roof of the building, making ramps to others buildings to get away from the swarm of zombies crowded around and clawing at the old house you ran into.

These are the kind of experience you are robbing yourselves of and me. The gamne will be NOTHING like that with these fast zombies. 

Please if you agree repost or give your own opinion. There are too many people that like this and don't see the fualt with it.  Just because they are bored of the beta... this is wrong..

If any of the designers of the game are reading, please, don't base your opinion on the masses. You can't do that. You need to stick to your own design plan, not ask the player base, as you may know most of them are close to being zombies themselfs.. If this is the way you wanted it to go from the start, fine. It IS your choice after all not ours, but dayz is not the game for me if it's true. Don't give in to peer pressure, that will destroy the game.

Edited by sai
  • Like 2

Aside from all the rubber banding, session lost and severe FPS drops since 0.42. the respawn at its current state makes is pretty unplayable once you enter a town.

Once you kill them they shouldn't just respawn 50m away, already aggro'ed... I mean I killed 8 Z's  with a god damn garden hoe and they kept on spawning right next to me...  At least give 'em a couple of minutes.

On the other hand, I like the fact it got a lot more difficult to outrun them, and also that they seem to cause a lot more damage.

However, the respawn mechanic combined with all the other issues kinda ruined the game for me. I guess I'm gonna have to wait for another patch/hotfix...  

The speed that zombies run now is making them a bit to glitchy. But this is just my opinion 

I agree. The threat of zombies should be numbers, and your stamina. You can only run so far, where as the zombies will constantly march towards you. Meaning if you don't plan it right you are going to be forced to barricade <<<(remember dynamic base building) yourself in a small house in town. Attacking the zombies thu the windows, or waiting for them to leave, maybe jumping out the back window of the house, climbing onto the roof of the building, making ramps to others buildings to get away from the swarm of zombies crowded around and clawing at the old house you ran into.

These are the kind of experience you are robbing yourselves of and me. The gamne will be NOTHING like that with these fast zombies. 

Please if you agree repost or give your own opinion. There are too many people that like this and don't see the fualt with it.  Just because they are bored of the beta... this is wrong..

If any of the designers of the game are reading, please, don't base your opinion on the masses. You can't do that. You need to stick to your own design plan, not ask the player base, as you may know most of them are close to being zombies themselfs.. If this is the way you wanted it to go from the start, fine. It IS your choice after all not ours, but dayz is not the game for me if it's true. Don't give in to peer pressure, that will destroy the game.

Edited by sai

I love the new zeds :D keep the speed,fix the clipping issues, add a more realistic sighting system, make some big wandering hordes :D, let them spawn out of my sight and maybe give them the ability to infect you ( but not the way like it was in the mod XD) and you have the perfect zombie threat  :thumbsup:

I think adjusting the speed and the animations is a step in the right direction  :)

Had some nice littly storys with these fast zeds ^^ 

and people remember it's still alpha.... the zombies are far from being finished

sorry for my english :P

MfG Dr.King Schultz

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll get whiners and such but I just hit NWAF didn't get hit once. not hard enough I looted the crap out of that place to if NWAF is that easy the zeds need to be harder. easy solution put gun away run, find loot you want kill zeds pick up run...wash and repeat. speed them up and I understand the wall shit people hate bgut I hear them then I just wait shoot'em run. easy as pie is how it works.

andf I'm sure if someone was there wish they were I would've robbed the mofo why are .22 mags so rare I got a few just layin around in my house the same type of mags. .22 mags are common as trash. I know this is off topic but make tjhem spawn more for Christ sakes.

It has happened a couple of times now so i know it is definitely a bug.

Zombie will stand still and no matter where i am even if i am not in front of them they can keep hitting me for example i went into the new clinic and a zombie was standing at the door and i was exploring all the rooms and the zombie was constantly hitting me even though it was standing at the door no where near me, i know it is not desync because my interaction with the environment is fine and i had to go back to where the zombie was standing to kill it and i can pick stuff up etc and i know what desync is.

Anyone else know what i am talking about and have a better way of explaining please feel free to. This needs to be raised to the devs but i cant use the bug tracker.

Edited by acoastalhero

been playing last 2 hours ago.. and now i am having fun outrunning and killing zombies.. a trick to avoid the endless spawning of zombies chasing you is do not do sprint after killing one.. they spawn immediately but if you are not sprinting they wont detect you.. the reason you keep getting chased after killing one..is you run around sprinting.. you're getting their attention that way.. but the spawn time of zombies should be adjusted.. spawn so quick. and zombies passing through walls and doors.. very annoying.. now ive been saving lots of bandages and rags because of that. haha..  hordes of zombies is great.. but fix first wall clipping.

I've registered today specifically to give some feedback on this topic. 

Overall I think this is a vast improvement, both the respawning and the increased speeds have had a really good effect on the gameplay. To illustrate this, here's a brief synopsis of my morning's play. This is something I've never experienced before and want to see much more of in the future. 

After logging in this morning I traveled to Svetlo thinking to take a look around and perhaps stock up on any useful supplies. Naturally my first destination was the police station. In order to avoid the z's i had to stow all weapons and sprint to the building. just as I entered, a man stepped out of a room brandishing a fire axe. As you can imagine panic immediately set in "This is it" I thought......but it wasn't. He walked directly past me and started hacking at my "zombie train". Together we swiftly dispatched the swarm and then assured one another that we were friendly. This is in itself practically a first for me. Generally speaking "geared up" players aren't at all friendly as they feel that trust is a commodity they can't afford on dayz. His next sentence was genuinely a shock. "Can we stick together? There are a lot of zombies here and it'll be safer if we help each other".

We spent a little time looting Svetlo together, and helping one another take out the zombies without taking any hits. As you can imagine this was a really nice change from the norm. Sadly dayz reverted to type soon afterwards. We were shortly after gunned down by an m4 wielding maniac. As we both sat watching our you are unconscious/dead screens after the brief and brutal encounter we used the little time we had left in voice comms to say it was a pleasure meeting one another and seeing someone friendly was great.

Now, on to something constructive: I'd like to see a mechanic where z's only spawn outside a certain radius from the player (perhaps 150 meters or so). To augment the "swarm" mode i'd also like to see them move towards their "last known" position prior to respawn. That way if the player dithers, he is faced with another wave of z's. If nothing aggro's the z's by the time it has reached said position, a second mechanic could them be used to send it shuffling back to its spawn position (in order to avoid a zombie rave in the middle of the street) The speed of them I feel is great and just about right. One slight issue I've noticed however is that melee weapons are at this point a little reluctant to be chosen on the hotbar. That might need to be addressed sooner rather than later with these improved z's. Naturally the wall phazing is something that would also benefit from being addressed. Once that issue is resolved I'd actually like to see greater numbers, and a fiercer patrol mechanic for z's.     

Am I missing something? Are we talking about post 0.42 or 0.43? After 0.42 the zombies were more aggressive, but that was fun. For me the new zombies are fine. I did not come from the mod. I played SoD before. When you lost your car in the middle of the map, the map was a joke compared to the one in DayZ, then you were dead. After 0.43 the spawn rate seems a little bit lower for me. Remember, that a zombie is a fictional creature with unknown characteristics. They can probably see, smell or hear better than us. We should also remember, this is a survival games, not a picnic. There have to be times where you have to run until your lungs come inside out. That the zombies are still able to walk through closed doors and walls, that should be fixed. On the other hand, this is an early release of a game that is in alpha. We all volunteered to find and report bugs to make the game more enjoyable in the future and not to whine.

I like their aggressiveness but they are unrealistically too fast IMHO. Maybe reduce their speed just a little?

Well, the devs already said in the 0.42 changelog: "Pending: More Robust Spawn System",

so the Z spawning is going to be change later.

What about doing it this way:

- The speed of a Zed should be set randomly between Walking and Sprinting when they spawn

- Zeds should alert nearby zombies, when they see a survivor

- Have the Cities/Airfields crowded (They increased it a bit in the 0.42, but still far too rare for my taste :)

- Add stamina when vehicles are implemented (So you cant run away forever, but still it wont take you an 1 hour from city to city)

Requirement for all this would be, that they cant clip through walls/fences/doors, so you can hide anywhere

I like this patch, finally zombies are more relevant but i think the game need more zombies and they need to be the first cause of panic.

I like the Project Zomboid Zombies Style, is the perfect match.

I have to say that I do think the current zombie speed is too fast.  This is amplified by their sight range, and the fact they can still clip through buildings. 

I would like to see a mix of speeds and poses, like how we had crawlers, and hoppers in the mod.  In the current build I think there should be some fast moving zombies, but I would like to see slower ones that only shamble along.  I also liked how way back in the early days of the mod we had to prone crawl past zombies just to avoid detection. I would like to see that make a return in some fashion.

The really good thing about the current build is the fact that I do feel like zombies are a threat now.  That is not something I have felt before in the standalone build.  Going into a town by myself is a decision that is not taken as lightly as before.  I have to move slower than before as well.  So in that regard I think we are looking at what it should be like when we decide to enter a town.  There should be a very high risk/reward for going into a town.

Look forward to seeing what will come down next.

- flightman

Server Admin: Bandits with Bibles

These new hyper active prozac and redbull abusing "zombies" are not really zombies at all now right? Zombies are supposed to be slow, passable with stealth, and walk around in great numbers. Therefore I found the spawning mechanic to be very entertaining. It finally felt like these zombies are here to get me and they were coming at me from all sides, when i spawned in Poliana, though the spawning points seemed to be too close to the player. I'd say make them spawn in points further from the player, like in some sort of forest-like area, or a building that cannot be actually accessed by a player, unless getting the players position and creating new objects in certain areas from him is a task too difficult to realize, but I am still not aware of the vision that the developers have when we talk about the Infected, or zombies or whatever they are supposed to be. I may sound like a dork, but these horny speedrunners are just too fast not for the sake of their speed making them impossible to deal with, but it just goes against them being zombie like, then they should be referred to as the infected like that World War Z movie or whatever, where they can run faster than they could when they were actually considered to be alive. One fire axe and you can mop the entire Electro city zombie content single-handed. If you ring the dinner bell, then the only thing you should worry about is lag or low fps due to unfinished or non-existent optimization. So yeah, IMHO, the pve should either hold very fast, strong and drill hammer punch packing infected, that move as fast as a drunk politic in a highway, going to meet his girls, or there should be a ton of slow, annoying and loud zombies, who move in large numbers and eventually get the ability to grab a player, where it would make it a challenge to fight them off in melee range. I am actually referring to the mechanics of the zombies in the free to play game No More Room in Hell. Those were the zombies I really liked, but if this is a different direction, then keep at it. But I still think that the Infected speed shouldn't top a fully energized and hydrated + healthy players' speed. I am aware that the pve enemy actions will only improve when they will stop running in zigzags or through walls, or stop spotting you from Berlin. Plus, if possible, I'd wonder how would players react to getting a chance to meet a roaming horde of these rotten nuggets in a forest. I, for once, would be thrilled to find myself stumbling down a hill, running away from a ton of zombfected things, when trying to carefully reach an airbase or a small village.

Repost from here at the request of the admin:

My god, the new zombie speeds is probably one of the worst attempts at improving the game that they've introduced in a patch to date. As if it wasn't already hard enough to avoid the zombies running through walls and hitting you from a distance because of server desync, now I can't even run faster than them! They are buggier than ever! I love being hit while running 10 feet in front of them at my fastest pace. Please stop implementing these worthless attempts at hiding how buggy your server sync and AI logic really is - just fix the actual core issues with the networking and Ai instead of trying to band-aid them with stupid game-altering experiments like these.

did this new small patch make zombies faster or what? they weren't that fast imo couple of days ago.

did this new small patch make zombies faster or what? they weren't that fast imo couple of days ago.

Yes their speed has been increased to be faster than the fastest player running speed. This combined with the usual server lag/desync, your ping, and the lack of collision for the zombies, it is now nearly impossible to avoid having to kill every single zombie that ever spots you and tries to chase you down - if you don't, they will catch up and hit you incessantly. I've also found that I can get hit while running away from the zombies, and if I stop to bandage myself then obviously I get hit even more. The only way I can even stop long enough to eat or bandage myself is to run into a multi-story house where the zombies are too buggy to follow me up stairs...

Edited by treminaor

Just a preface, I am too lazy to read any of the thread, so apologies if my point has already been made. Just inputting for the democratic factor.

The zombie respawning is generally not good, they spawn right in front of you, and too fast.

However, I for one actually like the zombie speed increase, as well as the change in weapon mechanics. It means that they are still easy to take out  with a melee weapon, but it requires some movement based tactics as well to survive, like dodging their lunges etc. It makes it harder, but not totally unplayable as with some changes made with the DayZ mod.

clipingprobs and this zomiebs?..ok.. lets begin us to destroy the game...i start elektro and zombies in zelo see me?...now i know why hall leave :P

make zobies harder...best onehit dead... now can i spawn faster....

Edited by hazelnut