SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Zombies are not hard to deal with and anyone that says otherwise has not learned to deal with them.

!!!

Zombies are not hard to deal with and anyone that says otherwise has not learned to deal with them.

!!!

You shouldn't have to learn; if you read my original post, you would see that zombies run through doors/walls, and this can end in a frustrating result.

I also talked about it being a immersion breaking element, of which is part of what you're suggesting "learning how to deal with them", and dancing a around a zombie moving left is not the most immerse way of taking out a zombie.

You shouldn't have to learn; if you read my original post, you would see that zombies run through doors/walls, and this can end in a frustrating result.

I also talked about it being a immersion breaking element, of which is part of what you're suggesting "learning how to deal with them", and dancing a around a zombie moving left is not the most immerse way of taking out a zombie.

People that complain about zombies take their complaints too far. 

To deal with zombies, all you have to do is hit them. Most calibers will OHKO them. Axes now OHKO to any part of the body due to feedback. They're literally piss easy to deal with. The only problem I have is that they can walk behind you and emit 0 sound until they hit you. 

People that complain about zombies take their complaints too far. 

To deal with zombies, all you have to do is hit them. Most calibers will OHKO them. Axes now OHKO to any part of the body due to feedback. They're literally piss easy to deal with. The only problem I have is that they can walk behind you and emit 0 sound until they hit you. 

That's not my point.

"Immersion breaking element"

Spawning in knowing where you are, and pursuing you right away.

You shouldn't have to wrestle the game to kill a zombie, and yes; the zero sound element has had zombie run through walls, and murder me. 

hello i want to add some new post patch zombie feedback.

zombies have been hitting from far away and through walls with increased regularity, compared to previously

common example :

a zombie see me from a distance or closer, run towards me, i will go around a wall or into a building to fight it in cover, zombie will stop outside and i will start to take hits, sometimes zombie will stop quite far from wall and i might be upstairs so its quite a distance, maybe 15 meters at most, i then have to go back to zombie and hit it and it will follow me again, or sometimes it will "see me" when i approach it and follow me again.

of course zombie hit from outside wall or from downstairs is not new issue, although the distance that the hits are coming from seems greater than it has been in my experience,

IMO there needs to be a shit ton of zombie in a town like 100-200 but they need to walk in packs of 10-50 and be HARDER to kill and do MORE damage to a person (like 2-3 hit dead). This way you can run away if you need to (like a freshspawn) but if you want to loot that town you better be geared up like your invading Normandy and if you aren't then there is a nice little shed over there with "meh" loot.

Also this would stop most of the KOS because currently its a more of a "hey dude give me all your stuff, oh you won't want too ok ill shoot you instead" and it would turn into "hey dude lets go kill theses zombies and get good loot!"

Edited by Anthony_Dayz

While I do agree that individually they aren't a threat, im sure this problem will be combated (at least slightly) by increasing the numbers. So while its easy to dance with that one zombie and keep him occupied, the other 10-20 attacking you will just swamp you and deal damage from all directions.

Basically one zombie should never really be much of a threat....there power comes from there numbers :)

i dont like the behavioir in general tho. the idea that the juke n jive dance is the preferred meathod to deal with them. Stealth/Sneaking and silently eliminating ones that get to close should be much, much more effective. (id like to see crawling towards towns with a crossbow favored over dancing for example)

i dont like the behavioir in general tho. the idea that the juke n jive dance is the preferred meathod to deal with them. Stealth/Sneaking and silently eliminating ones that get to close should be much, much more effective. (id like to see crawling towards towns with a crossbow favored over dancing for example)

Yeah im not a fan of how they behave either. I wish they were faster and hit quickly, atm the attack animations are so slow, and there AI....well lets just hope the navmesh helps. They defo need an overhaul there, but I really think the need for stealth will be born from numbers. I remember that tipping point in the mod...when so many were wandering in through the doors I had to just leave,  maybe leaving loot behind aswell. 

Melee should be the bread and butter weapon of choice when moving round looting, until a crossbow or silenced gun. Firing a noisy gun in a town should be a big no imo. Only if you have to for a PvP encounter.

Like my first ever enfield shot in Cherno from a pub....sooo many zeds that came up the stairs....had like one mag, no melee, and thought I was a badass..."you are dead" :)

Personally, I don't like the way the zombies act at all, but that's because I am a bit of a genre purist. This means that as far as I am concerned, Zombies are the walking dead, so they simply cannot be faster than a living person given the mechanics they rely on to move are inferior to ours due to decay.

That and the act of running is simply too complex for what is left in their functional brain to perform.

The most accurate modern day depiction of Zombies is in "The Walking Dead".

Other references are Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, etc.

Movies such as Zombie Land, Quarantine, 28 Days later and the recent World War Z have polluted the zombie genre as far as I am concerned. What is more frustrating is the book that the movie "World War Z" was based actually described zombies in the traditional sense.

This modernization of the concept has changed the zombie genre from being suspense/horror to action/horror.

That aside, the way the zombies currently interact with players is wrong. At the moment zombies attack to inflict damage. They strike the player causing injuries. Again, given zombies are actual supposed to be acting on the base instinct to feed they should be trying to grab and munch. This is where zombie herd dynamics would work well.

Imagine that you come across a zombie and it grabs onto you. As you try to battle it off the noise attracts another zombie that grabs your, etc. A single zombie should be dangerous as it could prevent you from getting away while other zombies arrive.

Thought I suspect this is since the game is still ALPHA so I can deal with it.

Herd mechanics would also be great once we are able to barrackade things. Literally the prison situation in The Walking Dead. One zombie on the fence is no issue, a handful, still no isse, but over time more and more zombies are drawn to the fence and this is a problem.

Basically, I think I'm just after a "The Walking Dead" simulator. lol.

Yeah I know, players can run 30km/h so they needed to make zombie run 75km/h to be a threat.

But nothing pisses me off more then sight of that zombie running at me 75km/h.

Make it so players need to walk to reset their running cooldown,

Make it so items weight, and sometimes player will have to take of his backpack to outrun zombie,

Make zombie tackle and hold players like in Resident Evil 2,

Make aggroed zombies spawn with the player if he combat log,

Anything, but get rid of speeding zombies and make them walk again like in the first versions of Standalone.

Personally, I don't like the way the zombies act at all, but that's because I am a bit of a genre purist. This means that as far as I am concerned, Zombies are the walking dead, so they simply cannot be faster than a living person given the mechanics they rely on to move are inferior to ours due to decay.

That and the act of running is simply too complex for what is left in their functional brain to perform.

The most accurate modern day depiction of Zombies is in "The Walking Dead".

Other references are Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, etc.

Movies such as Zombie Land, Quarantine, 28 Days later and the recent World War Z have polluted the zombie genre as far as I am concerned. What is more frustrating is the book that the movie "World War Z" was based actually described zombies in the traditional sense.

This modernization of the concept has changed the zombie genre from being suspense/horror to action/horror.

That aside, the way the zombies currently interact with players is wrong. At the moment zombies attack to inflict damage. They strike the player causing injuries. Again, given zombies are actual supposed to be acting on the base instinct to feed they should be trying to grab and munch. This is where zombie herd dynamics would work well.

Imagine that you come across a zombie and it grabs onto you. As you try to battle it off the noise attracts another zombie that grabs your, etc. A single zombie should be dangerous as it could prevent you from getting away while other zombies arrive.

Thought I suspect this is since the game is still ALPHA so I can deal with it.

Herd mechanics would also be great once we are able to barrackade things. Literally the prison situation in The Walking Dead. One zombie on the fence is no issue, a handful, still no isse, but over time more and more zombies are drawn to the fence and this is a problem.

Basically, I think I'm just after a "The Walking Dead" simulator. lol.

While I respect your opinion, it's not really a modernization. If you read a bit of history about the concept of walking dead, or risen dead there has never been any depiction that can be said to be the "original zombie". Through history, in folk lore and mythology around the world the concept of living dead creatures has popped up. It's one of those ideas that people come up with without having necessarily heard from somewhere else. The only reason why the slow, shambling dead became the "norm" is because Romero happened to make movies that became popular. That said, it's obviously ok to prefer the slow version.

If it eases your mind the "zombies" in DayZ aren't dead. They're living humans infected with a virus. And the Z in DayZ stands for "zero" rather than "zombie". As far as I'm concerned the reason people keep calling them zombies is that there is really no clear definition of what a zombie is or is like. And it's a pop-culture term that people recognize.

Shamblers all day baby.

Sprinting zombies <<<<<<<<< Gorge Romeros shambling zombies in high numbers.

Not really zombies?!?

But, but, that's the only reason I got into the game. :(

But fair enough. Is there a official back story? Or is it bit undefined so at to that realism of surviviors who are unsure if what these things are?

I can detect no big difference .......    they see you run a farther arc.... and thats all ^^

Not really zombies?!?

But, but, that's the only reason I got into the game. :(

But fair enough. Is there a official back story? Or is it bit undefined so at to that realism of surviviors who are unsure if what these things are?

They can be called zombies, since zombies are by no means only what Romero depicted in his movies. For a "purist" however, the definition of "zombie" might be Romero-style creatures alone, which is of course a way to view it. What I meant was that if you have a hard time viewing the infected in DayZ as zombies per your personal definition it might help to think of them as something else. :)

As far as backstory goes, Bohemia has said that DayZ stands for "Day Zero", and the "zombies" are actually living humans infected with a rage virus, much like in the movie 28 days later. Personally I try to keep a more loose view of what zombies are and can be, even though I admit that whenever a movie maker or writer depicts them in an unconventional way it does take me some time to get used to it. Personally I prefer when the audience is given a reason for the zombies existing (virus, magic, judgement day or whatever) rather than when they just go "ta-dah zombies.. enjoy".

As far as backstory goes, Bohemia has said that DayZ stands for "Day Zero", and the "zombies" are actually living humans infected with a rage virus, much like in the movie 28 days later.

I have heard this claim a few times but i see no original link, text or reference to this having any truth whatsoever. I believe Z is for Zombies, and these things are zombies, which are infected people. until i see a link or where they wrote this, I think its bullsh*t.

I have heard this claim a few times but i see no original link, text or reference to this having any truth whatsoever. I believe Z is for Zombies, and these things are zombies, which are infected people. until i see a link or where they wrote this, I think its bullsh*t.

Whatever cooks your noodle.

In experimental the ZEDs are really annoying. Seems the "re-spawn -> instant aggro" is back. They run around fences now - never noticed before - but the re-spawned ones aggro from miles away.  What´s a bit of an annoyance when you just want to leave a town and they re-spawn in the field/woods and aggro you again and again and again.

• Like 1

Will we ever get an updated roadmap with when the features such as zombie pathfinding will be added that we're waiting for please? They keep saying nav mesh 'is done' but can't even say when it will come to experimental and stable?

As the Q/2 , Q3 dates are behind schedule and missed now, have no idea when the features are coming, also you locked a similar thread that was just asking nicely about the Quarter 3 aims, I would have asked there if you didn't lock every thread which asked nicely about when we can expect advertised features to be completed.

Will we ever get an updated roadmap with when the features such as zombie pathfinding will be added that we're waiting for please? They keep saying nav mesh 'is done' but can't even say when it will come to experimental and stable?

As the Q/2 , Q3 dates are behind schedule and missed now, have no idea when the features are coming, also you locked a similar thread that was just asking nicely about the Quarter 3 aims, I would have asked there if you didn't lock every thread which asked nicely about when we can expect advertised features to be completed.

Doubt it. They're too lazy to even keep up with their weekly updates on the piece of shit that is tumblr. I wouldn't expect DayZ to come out before summer 2015, and by come out I mean BETA - if ever this game's finished that is.

• Like 1

No This is not a zombie, its retarded. If this is how dayz is making zombies harder then it's dead to me. Zombies don't sprint. 

The zombies movies with sprinting zombies are the most ridiculous retarded shit movies. and now this game. It's turning into left for dead, or serious sam. Not bad games, but ridiculous. This is not what I got the game for. 

There is no atmosphere, either there are no zombies, or they are sprinting at you. Thats not suspenseful, doesn't seem like you're surviving tucked away in a ruined town creeping around finding supply's trying to avoid the ROTTING CORPSES walking around. Now you just go to town kill the zombies that sprint at you and it's over. What kind of lame experience is this? 

What happened to us having stamina? What happened to the horror? I know it was weak before but I thought it was getting there with the classic slow zombie walking animations. And now they are back to the old mod version of runners. This is bullshit. 

Day Z zombies are not trad. zombies, they are 'infected' zombies. Traditionally, a Zombie is a dead corpse resurrected by magic or spirits. More modern 'realistic' zombies are just people who have been infected with a disease which makes them rabid and dangerous. This is clearly the kind we have in Day Z, so don't complain if they aren't 'Night of the Living Dead' style zombies...