SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

So basically I had got really great gear from the airfields, and I went down to Berezino for bandit hunting.

I shot one bandit and moved about 1.5 km from where I shot him. I found a really good sniping spot on the hill north of berezino. It was covered in trees and bushes, and there's no way anyone was going to spot me there without hard effort.

But these damn zombies kept respawning around me, on the big open field, and I don't know why.. I was laying prone, with the best camo clothing you can get, I wasn't even moving. But they kept on respawning, and I had to get up and kill that one aggro that came every minute. I killed about 10 zombies this way, the last one I had ran from such far away I don't even know how the hell he could have spotted me. It was maybe 300 meters away, so I had to get up and kill him, and when I went back. Bam , you're dead.

Zombies have been glitched since DayZ came out as a mod, how can it be so hard to fix them? Atleast this, it hasn't been like this before why would you make it so they spawn around you?

I know it's an Alpha but damn this is annoying as hell, and also got me killed

I don't know why you're playing an alpha and expecting these things to work well.

Alpha testing should make zombies more realistic and challenging by you playing through and testing them out. Hell, haven't you volunteered to get killed (repeatedly)? Think you have....

Edited by kander

So basically I had got really great gear from the airfields, and I went down to Berezino for bandit hunting.

I shot one bandit and moved about 1.5 km from where I shot him. I found a really good sniping spot on the hill north of berezino. It was covered in trees and bushes, and there's no way anyone was going to spot me there without hard effort.

But these damn zombies kept respawning around me, on the big open field, and I don't know why.. I was laying prone, with the best camo clothing you can get, I wasn't even moving. But they kept on respawning, and I had to get up and kill that one aggro that came every minute. I killed about 10 zombies this way, the last one I had ran from such far away I don't even know how the hell he could have spotted me. It was maybe 300 meters away, so I had to get up and kill him, and when I went back. Bam , you're dead.

Zombies have been glitched since DayZ came out as a mod, how can it be so hard to fix them? Atleast this, it hasn't been like this before why would you make it so they spawn around you?

I know it's an Alpha but damn this is annoying as hell, and also got me killed

zombies are fxcked up at the moment. They can spot you via 100´s of meters and there is no chance to sneak arround

Hello There

Did you try the search tool?

The zeds are placeholders and are being rewritten.

Rgds

LoK

Yeah, wait until you see what's going on in experimental.

Zombies now 1 shot ruin vests and other clothing without even giving you a bleeder.

A couple of days ago I went through 3 vests in an hour from random swamps of respawning zombies that happen to get one lucky hit on me and ruin my vests and most of what was in there.

Issues:

- They see through walls and bolt toward you.

- They can see you from a mile away.

- If you're carrying ANYTHING you can't run fast enough, it takes a while to move the item out of your hand.

- If you experience any lag, they will gain on you quickly.

- If you log in to a server next to a zombie you just might have a zombie in your face when the game loads up.

- They are 10x the hassle that they've ever been, even as far back as earlier DayZ Mod.

- They "bunny hop" like some Counterstrike kid.

From what I've seen on YouTube and the state zombies were in prior to now, this update is FUBAR. But we are used to no less from the parties involved in development of DayZ.

"When will they fix these zombies?" WHEN THEY ARE GOOD AND FUCKING READY!

Since you're new I'll enlighten you since you want to be a smartass. 

When will they fix zombies? Never. They've been claiming that they would soon for several years. Dean even claimed that he did before DayZ SA was released to the "public" back when we only had pre-alpha footage. Experience would prove at this point that they don't have a clue how to fix it or can't and never will and that you shouldn't be gullible enough to believe that they will.
Edited by chrismgtis
  • Like 1

I was approaching the northeast town, and I could just see four zombies sprinting towards me through the field. Add some stealth possibility and THAT is the game I want to play.

Funny thing is in DayZ mod stealth DID allow you to avoid zombies, if you were slow and low enough and used cover. Now they see you through an entire building from 5000 ft.

• Like 1

well goddamn said chrismgtis. I was holding back on purchasing DayZ SA and shame on me for not doing more research before I did buy it, cause IMO this alpha is taking way too long to advance and it truly lacks enjoyable gameplay due to the shit they call zombies. I know its an alpha... go ahead and ream me for complaining... but im sure 90% of us don't give a shit about all the shit the devs are working on other than the zeds. FIX THE GODDAMN ZEDS!! I hate to say it, but the guys working on breaking point for arma 3 are doing a better job than these guys who have been raking in money to work on this game.  I think I just would be happier if I had waited until full release of dayz and paid the $60 price tag that it'll be when its released. Right now, too many of us paid money for an early access that isn't worth a $1. Yeah I fkn said it!

I Came Down Off Green Mountain I Had Seen What A Man Cannot Speak Of

I was still playing DayZ the SA version, and I had nothing to do up there, except to kill rabbits because they are evil. Until a gray dawn told me it was too much for a man alone. So I came down and in town I met a zombie; she gave me a bottle of Damaged Wodka and a black-painted axe. That was nice of her and kindly.

She said: "Here you go. Really I should stand with my back turned and pretend not to notice you but what the hell, who needs it?"

"Thank you madam", I said. "I'm sorry, but I don't know your name."

She said: "We don't have much use for names we're just all zombies now, since they put that stuff in the spray-paint. I do like your biceps rather a lot. Go ahead and hit me with the axe."

"You sure about this?"

"No problem, really. Just hit me good with the axe, its a fire axe, that's a one shot kill. I swear it's true, try it. Stand close now... It's OK that's just the way my hair smells."

"OK, well thanx a lot." I said. "...See you around."

She said: "Don't worry about me having an uncommon husky deep voice for a young woman, that's because I'm in the Alpha. I auditioned one-time for Van Halen, I was a kid."

"We're all still alive," she added, "the two of us, aren't we? I like J-Pop. And mainly I like to get close but tonight I need to do my nails."

I expect most zombie folk in DayZ are not like this. Maybe some are, but some aren't.

Then the next zombie I met, there were two but one didn't notice me. The other I tried to give him the beans but he didn't take them. "Zombies dont eat beans," he said. "and you look out, so-called dude, we are going to be seriously more aggressive after the next patch. Or sooner."

"Did you GET that?," he shouted. He was hard to understand his teeth were all on one side, and there were other noises at the same time from his head and from where some people have their tongue.

"I got it."

"LIKE did you GET that, so-called DUDE", he shouted. He had a Bad Saturday Night attitude problem. He was flicking spit too.

"At least it's not raining," I suggested.

He came closer: "That's a ma-machete you got there is it? I can tell I can see it is, I can see. I'm friendly, you don't need that, I SAID FRIENDLY. Let's have a look then a minute.. Is it rusty? I'm friendly already, innit, stands to reason, you must be thick. A bit of rust makes for a better uh hack dunnit? Give us a swing then, or what?. WTF, what the matter with you? I can't use guns see because of the fingers and that.. like falling off. You not right in the head or what? Did I say FRIEND or didn't I?

"Would you like an apple or a banana?" ... Or some bandages?"

He said: "Sure dude. Suck on this see, it's going to ALL change. So STFU you. I'm gonna get sharp rotten teeth and a disease. You think you're going to be all alone on the beach eating bambies for long, you glitching b*stard, just how you like it? THAT is NOT going to happen."

"I dont eat bambies," I said to calm him down but the zombie laughed in a bad way. He fell asleep suddenly. Then he woke up and shouted "You half-assed Git!" and ran upstairs through a wall. Afterwards there were screams inside.

I left that town and I figured to continue the mission.

Evil rabbits are still out there.

Zombies are cool
 Zombies will be better

see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182014-the-reason-zombie-clipping-isnt-fixed/#entry1878377
see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182234-post-patch-zombie-feedback/#entry1871615
see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185149-zombie-grab/#entry1908783
see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/185464-one-hit-from-zombie-causes-bleed-is-back/#entry1912155

see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/186202-if-you-could-change-one-thing-about-sa-right-now/#entry1918205

see: http://forums.dayzga...c/#entry1889355

see: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/186531-zombies-the-make-or-break-of-dayz/#entry1921259

and etc

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Not exactly sure why, but Pilgrim definitely deserves my beans with that post.

THANK YOU DEVELOPER TEAM, ZOMBIES ARE FINALLY MUCH MORE OVERPOWERED = NEARLY UNPLAYABLE

Now they are it seems to be, that they have a heavy amor, like a knight. I speak of melee-combat, THIS SUX NOW.

Zombies need too much damage to take down.

Edited by TiMEDANCE

THANK YOU DEVELOPER TEAM, ZOMBIES ARE FINALLY MUCH MORE OVERPOWERED = NEARLY UNPLAYABLE

Now they are it seems to be, that they have a heavy amor, like a knight. I speak of melee-combat, THIS SUX NOW.

Zombies need too much damage to take down.

that's exactly how they need to be.

The bad thing is that they glitch everywhere. But they need to be tough to kill.

I didn't like getting hit 3 times in the time it takes to get hit 1 time by a zed. Their attack rate is way too quick. I like that zeds are getting buffed though. Maybe if they were much harder people would stop banditing so much

Zombies ain't tough enough yet, still too easy and too few. Want DayZ to stand out from every other survival game being made out there? Get the zeds right.

i want them Z's to be A LOT HARDER! like a lot harder! only headshots kill with 1 round! fireaxe not a one hit kill! more of em!!!! if u get hit there should be a Chance of u getting infected!

In my dream version of DayZ the zombies are really, really tough and dangerous. But, they can be avoided through stealth or dealt with by tactical thinking. For example you lie in the woods outside a town and look for movement. You see a couple of zombies among the buildings and you know that means there might be more. You plan your entrance and retreat carefully, sneak into town using cover and soft surfaces to mask your approach. You sneak about trying to scavenge for supplies, but suddenly an infected spots you! Since you planned carefully you dash out a back door to escape it and race to shake the follower. You manage to dart into cover and the infected suddenly has lost track of you. It wanders about, searching in the area it last saw you, while you try to sneak around and away from it.

And so on..

This would make for heart pounding action I think. And if the game could be made to allow for this kind of play, I'd love it.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 2

The way id like the zeds is like the walking dead zombies. Easy to take out with a headshot. Body blows dont do ss much damage. They arent particularly dangerous except in groups(not necessarily hordes but that would be awesom!). Also i wish they add some sort of grabbing move where they hold on to you and try to bite you and you have to struggle (or have a buddy) to get them off. Also stealth would be a way to avoid them but im more of a "Imma kill all yall undead muthafuqqas" kinda guy myself. Anyway just my opinion. Edit: They can still be fast though thats the only way they are even a slight challenge. Although i dont think they should climb ladders...i heard they do that in Arma and im not sure i like that idea but thats still only my opinion.

Edited by Murlough

Zombies come down to

WALL GLITCH  - game walls do not have any thickness, they just "look" like walls to the player. The zombies don't see them at all.

LINE OF SIGHT - it"s the same thing.. zombie sight distance has to be decided

STEALTH - same again, decide how difficult it is for a zombie to see you - so it cant see you if you're lying down, unless its close - can't see you if you're crawling, unless it's close - it hears you if you make a noise (talk, take steps, reload)

SO - THE BIG QUESTION...

These three things are ONE - they come down to the ZOMBIE AI

The zombies don't have much of an AI at all right now (my guess is the AI is the real placeholder, not the zombies themselves)

When the zombie AI is worked on, - worked OUT - BUILT -  then the zombies will act just how the players want them to, when it EXISTS as a software function, an integrated unit, then it will be easy to change pameters, tweak action. have any 'kind' of zombie reaction, speed, pathfinding, that folk decide on.

The Zombies just dont have ANYTHING OF AN AI RIGHT NOW

So it's not really a question of 'hey..they walk through walls' etc. Its a question of HAVING a fuctioning ZOMBIE AI, then you can do what you like with them (just about..) OK - that's easy to understand.

- So where is it? what's happening about it? what's going on on the lab?

(I'm NOT complaining, I'm only asking for technical interest. I dig AI.. see? It's my thing.

I spent my nerd youth reverse-engineering chess programmes).

(grin)

Enjoy

Edited by pilgrim

I didn't like getting hit 3 times in the time it takes to get hit 1 time by a zed. Their attack rate is way too quick. I like that zeds are getting buffed though. Maybe if they were much harder people would stop banditing so much

watch 28 days later and you'll see what an OP zed would be.

They just need to make a decent pathing and balance the detection radius, other than that, zombies need to be MUCH tougher to kill and to survive.

Edited by lipemr

Boneboys : <<I was attacked by a zombie upstairs in a house..//..>>

me too.  Surprised the shit out of me.

Heres a pic of my lady friend doing a full body drop-attack from the first floor (I met her up there a little earlier). She went off in a wall somewhere and got lost. Then when I was sure she'd given up, she jumped off the stairs on me.

By then I was downstairs, as you can see, wondering where exactly she'd gone...

2jb1etv.jpg

don't ever take those girls for granted

edit: a friend said this was just a 'see through the floor' photo - but if you check, you can tell her feet are somewhere level with the 10th or 11th step on the stairs, and these stairs have 18 steps up to the top - so she really is about to land on my neck.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

soooo was just playing on experimental and I get me some zeds comin in so I tells myself "no biggie" cause I'm packin me trusty ole fire axe. the first one arrives and I give it the usual nasty whack to the head.... then again and again and again.... by now zed no.2 has arrived to join in the festivities so I am whackin em alternately till they die - took around 5 to 7 hits each (mind you not all of those were headshots as I was busy steppin to avoid injury to my person and belongings). they linger as a corpse for a while longer now too. on a brighter note, they seem to be just a tiny bit slower.

after all the fun I have 3 ruined inventory items, a ruined jacket (was pristine) and a badly damaged backpack (was also pristine). so I guess I now have new objectives - gear replacement.

I do not know at this point whether it's the mellee or the Zombies that's off, as I don't usually meet nor shoot people, but at the moment it's all way off.

Expect that to change soon, though - that's the reason it's experimental.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

Zombies come down to

WALL GLITCH  - game walls do not have any thickness, they just "look" like walls to the player. The zombies don't see them at all.

LINE OF SIGHT - it"s the same thing.. zombie sight distance has to be decided

STEALTH - same again, decide how difficult it is for a zombie to see you - so it cant see you if you're lying down, unless its close - can't see you if you're crawling, unless it's close - it hears you if you make a noise (talk, take steps, reload)

SO - THE BIG QUESTION...

These three things are ONE - they come down to the ZOMBIE AI

The zombies don't have much of an AI at all right now (my guess is the AI is the real placeholder, not the zombies themselves)

When the zombie AI is worked on, - worked OUT - BUILT -  then the zombies will act just how the players want them to, when it EXISTS as a software function, an integrated unit, then it will be easy to change pameters, tweak action. have any 'kind' of zombie reaction, speed, pathfinding, that folk decide on.

The Zombies just dont have ANYTHING OF AN AI RIGHT NOW

So it's not really a question of 'hey..they walk through walls' etc. Its a question of HAVING a fuctioning ZOMBIE AI, then you can do what you like with them (just about..) OK - that's easy to understand.

- So where is it? what's happening about it? what's going on on the lab?

(I'm NOT complaining, I'm only asking for technical interest. I dig AI.. see? It's my thing.

I spent my nerd youth reverse-engineering chess programmes).

(grin)

Enjoy

I don't think it's that easy.

Pathing is connected as I understand it to the fact that they're making buildings that can be entered. Something in the code is wrong there and making previously closed buildings enterable messes things up. I might be wrong here, but this is how I understand the problem about pathing of the infected. So basically the pathing doesn't detect walls (simplified explanation) which is why the infected can see you in some cases where they shouldn't be able to. If this is a matter of fixing the code of the infected or the buildings I do not know. But assuming I'm correct, this is the reason for many of the problems connected to movement of the infected. Things such as them walking half submerged into the floor of houses, being able to see players through walls, items falling through the floor and such. This is also, if I'm correct, the reason for the wall glitch where you can "lean" through a wall and see what's on the other side, or who. And the reason you can glitch into rooms that don't have an entrance point.

tl;dr I think many of the common glitches and bugs currently in the game (such as pathing and wall glitches) are connected to buildings previously being unenterable now being made enterable. I might be wrong, but this is how I understand the problem.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 2

I like the fact that they are definitely a bigger threat now, and it's still somewhat possible to sneak around.. But them seeming to respawn in an X radius of your character is kind of annoying when trying to disengage.

I don't think it's that easy.

Pathing is connected as I understand it to the fact that they're making buildings that can be entered. Something in the code is wrong there and making previously closed buildings enterable messes things up. I might be wrong here, but this is how I understand the problem about pathing of the infected. So basically the pathing doesn't detect walls (simplified explanation) which is why the infected can see you in some cases where they shouldn't be able to. If this is a matter of fixing the code of the infected or the buildings I do not know. But assuming I'm correct, this is the reason for many of the problems connected to movement of the infected. Things such as them walking half submerged into the floor of houses, being able to see players through walls, items falling through the floor and such. This is also, if I'm correct, the reason for the wall glitch where you can "lean" through a wall and see what's on the other side, or who. And the reason you can glitch into rooms that don't have an entrance point.

tl;dr I think many of the common glitches and bugs currently in the game (such as pathing and wall glitches) are connected to buildings previously being unenterable now being made enterable. I might be wrong, but this is how I understand the problem.

The problem about 'glitching' and zombies going through walls, is - IMHO   - that the "walls" in video games do not have a thickness. they are only a texture. They are placed inside a marker position and the player character software 'knows' that the character shape cannot pass across those markers. Call it a 'rule' that is built in to the game. A player could go through a wall except the software tells him he can't.

So you are right about 'glitch' and zombies ignoring walls, they have kind of the same base. But in the player's case the glitch depends on what 'parts' of the player count as being the player's actual posiition. The character is an assembly of bounding boxes used to calculate what the character contacts, and that 'glitch' also depends on what the camera can see, depending on the player location. It's damned difficult to have a camera that 'follows' a player fluidly, changes angle, pans back and forward automatically to give the best view, without being blocked by objects (so you can't see the player when you need to) and without 'seeing' things the player should not see.

But that's the player-object. OK - if the computer decides that the 'location point' of the player is on the other side of the wall, then the player IS on the other side of the wall. If he can stay on this side of the wall but move his head or part of his body enough so the camera location 'sees' outside the wall, then he can see out through the wall.

All games have these problems. The point is to nail them down, adjust them,  and make sure they don't wreck the game.

But the zombies are a little different: The zombies need their own AI so they can 'make decisions' - meaning - they have to 'decide' if they can see something, they 'decide' what is the best way to reach a player. If the 'zombies-coming-through-walls' was fixed today, then you could stand on the other side of the wall and the zombie would stand close to the wall and shout a lot, and - end of story - he'd just stay there and not do anything and not be able to reach you. What you need is a zombie that detects the player, and decides it has to run in some direction to try to reach you - maybe run all the way round the end of the wall to reach the player.

Or for instance, if a zomb detects a player on the first floor, it has to 'decide' it can run round round to the other side of the building and then maybe up the stairs. That's not obvious (we could do it "without thinking about it" because we already spent a life learning that stuff).  For the zombie it's not obvious because to reach the player on the first floor, the zombie has to start by going further away from the player, the entry is round the back of the building, NOT closer to the player. So the zombie has to have a 'decision' ability that tells it, if it runs round to the other side of the building, it can THEN get closer to the player by going in through the door.

This is why AIs in different games have reputations for being 'good' or 'bad' or 'half and half'  or sometimes just plain stupid. Often they can deal very well with a lot of standard things that turn up in the game every day, but then something slightly special turns up that they can't figure out, and the NPCs start doing really really dumb stuff. If you read game reviews, you'll see that the NPC action is considered a BIG thing in deciding if the game is 'good' or not. If critics decide the AI is not good then the game gets panned.

OK, this is my take on Artificial Intelligence, as it's used in video games - its a sub-program that kicks in when an NPC enters into contact with a player, and it makes the NPC act as much as possible as if he can 'think'

OK - so maybe in this game we want zombies that DO stuff, but don't want zombies that think much. But they have to have an AI that runs them. Once that unit works, then you can fine tune all kinds of things about zombie behaviour.

So you're not wrong about walls, in my view (sorry it took me so long to say that).  It comes down to - walls look like 3D objects but they are not.

1) player glitching has to be sorted, it's a standard problem for every video game.

2) zombie-through-walls has to be sorted too, but that's only a PART of the Zombie AI. As other folk say in this thread above, the Zed AI is the real placeholder, not the Zeds themselves..

Just an thought (maybe... how much do I know)

Trees are 3D objects, right? And I think the concrete external barrier walls are 3D too, maybe?

My experience is that Zeds don't see you through those outside, 6-foot walls, unless they are already agroing.

And has anyone seen a zombie run through a tree?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim