BambiInElektro

Ghillie suit, rangefinder ?

Couldn't be the subject matter and serialized storylines that are such a damn breath of fresh air compared to standard episodic television.

The millions and millions who watch it must all live in trailers....

*over the top eyeroll*

No if that were the case they would not be watching walking dead.

They would be watching mad men, the wire, game of thrones, justified, sopranos, board walk empire and many of the other actually good shows.

No if that were the case they would not be watching walking dead.

They would be watching mad men, the wire, game of thrones, justified, sopranos, board walk empire and many of the other actually good shows.

Your taste is lacking good sir.

I made some corrections.

Edited by Hefeweizen

Your taste is lacking good sir.

I made some corrections.

Ooo cmon.

Justified has great writing, its clever and witty even if it started off as yet another cop show.

Boarwalk empire is amazing although the last season was lacking

and sopranos was ground breaking stuff, it capivated the nation week after week with its unpredictable writing.

What about an improvised ghillie suits! If i would be in a zombie apocalypse, i would definetly make one! It would be craftable from rags and spray along with other clothing.

And for those who don't know what Ghillie is, use Google!

this has been suggested many many times already ;)

=> search-function^^

What about an improvised ghillie suits! If i would be in a zombie apocalypse, i would definetly make one! It would be craftable from rags and spray along with other clothing.

And for those who don't know what Ghillie is, use Google!

Merging

Civilian lore friendly to his suggestions

Suit -

camo+%252818%2529.jpg

Good ol mossy oak hunting clothing.

Range finder -

Terrapin-1.jpg

20121019_182908.jpg

4102 meters... pretty far.

That makes me think, maybe they could have both high-end military and cheaper hunting rangefinders. Depending on conditions rangefinders often won't work out to anywhere near the advertised range.

If a rangefinder was only giving readings on targets up to 400 yards I think most people would just use the DayZDB map or simply blast away without much care though. Anywhere in the torso gives the same result with a Mosin... it would be nice to have a heart hitbox to reward good shots.

• Like 1

4102 meters... pretty far.

That makes me think, maybe they could have both high-end military and cheaper hunting rangefinders. Depending on conditions rangefinders often won't work out to anywhere near the advertised range.

If a rangefinder was only giving readings on targets up to 400 yards I think most people would just use the DayZDB map or simply blast away without much care though. Anywhere in the torso gives the same result with a Mosin... it would be nice to have a heart hitbox to reward good shots.

I only listed that Range finder because it seems its one of the preffered ones amongst the precision shooting community.

It is relatively cheap for its features and range 1000 bucks and it is accurate.

It has a long range but there are cheaper hunting range finders that only accurately range up to like 1200 or 1500m.

Yet another potential system/mechanic that's wholly undercut by meta-programs. Not much I can suggest that hasn't been suggested already. But if it's easier to alt-tab to get ranges (which is ludicrous in my mind, I'd never risk it even if I were 800m out) via DayZDB then rangefinders, in any guise, will be useless.

Agreed about the hitbox. Although, I think folks like myself who like long-range (people's definition varies on that one) shooting sort of gloss over a big issue... how crappy the LOD is at range. I've always had an issue with how ARMA/DayZ (and to be fair, most/all video games) handle LOD at range. I can't really hit something accurately that's clipping heavily through geometry/textures. Perhaps this'll be enhanced when they've fiddled with the renderer a bit.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think accurately-rendered optics and guns would suffice, like in the base game ARMA itself. Like, in real life it's more a matter of research, knowledge and skill than owning a given laser rangefinder.

Ideally I'd want someone to learn how to use mil-dots to calculate distance before simply plonking away with rounds, given they kill in one hit usually to begin with...

Same with the lower-magnification sights. The ACOG and PU scopes already are designed to automatically provide elevation at a given range - you use the width of the chevron or the bars, compare it to the width of the the person and elevate accordingly.

The difficult part would be allowing scope adjustment in a realistic manner - like, how would you display the number of scope clicks?

As for ghillie, I really have no idea. On one hand, it's unreasonable to say someone couldn't make it, as early ghillie suits were made mostly from cut-up burlap bags and whatnot. But with the engagement distances and the amount of damage incurred from gunfire, I can't imagine it'd really help anything.

A vietnamese female sniper called the bitch is known by most to be the first to use a ghillie suit in combat. Did you know?

LMAO "The Bitch" she was called "Apache" - I watched a documentary about Hathcock yesterday about this lol.

OH and she was a bitch, she tortured US troops just within earshot of us bases.

Edited by Jexter

Unsure if joking.

Ghillie suits were invented in Scotland, and used from the Second Boer War onwards.

In the Documentary I watched (American of course....) they said this Apache sniper was the first to use one. I was instantly shouting "WTF - Hello Ghillie???? It's fucking Scottish!"

The difficult part would be allowing scope adjustment in a realistic manner - like, how would you display the number of scope clicks?

Already been done and they did a good job.

Already been done and they did a good job.

Thank you. To clarify, is all that information just provided for you? I imagine in Day Z there would be a lot more trial-and-error.

In the Documentary I watched (American of course....) they said this Apache sniper was the first to use one. I was instantly shouting "WTF - Hello Ghillie???? It's fucking Scottish!"

I mean, I'm sure plenty of marksman were using bound natural camouflage before the Scottish (not referring to the Vietnamese sniper above). But the actual concept of a "Ghillie Suit" is certainly of Scottish origin, especially as a piece of battlefield kit.

Edited by Katana67

After Scubamand3D (Torchia dude?) posted on Reddit, that "did not want to go too Russia-centric in the game to make it easier to transition to other settings on future maps" I pretty much gave up on hoping that SA will have reasonably authentic weapon for poor post-Soviet country.

So yea, add range finders, thermal scopes, portable nuclear warheads and maybe even SCUD missiles.

God forbids that some yankee would get scared by prevalence of Eastern weapons in fictional post-Soviet country, nobody would want that to happen!

Edited by Hombre

After Scubamand3D (Torchia dude?) posted on Reddit, that "did not want to go too Russia-centric in the game to make it easier to transition to other settings on future maps" I pretty much gave up on hoping that SA will have reasonably authentic weapon for poor post-Soviet country.

So yea, add range finders, thermal scopes, portable nuclear warheads and maybe even SCUD missiles.

God forbids that some yankee would get scared by prevalence of Eastern weapons in fictional post-Soviet country, nobody would want that to happen!

The vitriol and hyperbole is strong with this one.

• Like 2

The vitriol and hyperbole is strong with this one.

I was tad sarcastic, but I guess you would not know.

Anyway enjoy, you are most likely one of those that Devs wants to cater for in regards to weapons.

God forbids the majority of guns were eastern/Russian right?

Anyway enjoy, you are most likely one of those that Devs wants to cater for in regards to weapons.

God forbids the majority of guns were eastern/Russian right?

Someone who wants a variety of weapons? Yes, that is who I want the Developers to cater to.

Last I checked, they hadn't balanced the loot, so we don't know how common the "eastern" weapons will be by comparison. Which is far more important than the overall number of weapons included in DayZ.

And, last I checked, the AKM, AK74, and SVD were inbound. And the SKS, Mosin, CZ 75, and Baikal had already been included.

Someone who wants a variety of weapons? Yes, that is who I want the Developers to cater to.

Last I checked, they hadn't balanced the loot, so we don't know how common the "eastern" weapons will be by comparison. Which is far more important than the overall number of weapons included in DayZ.

And, last I checked, the AKM, AK74, and SVD were inbound. And the SKS, Mosin, CZ 75, and Baikal had already been included.

Why not to add the prevalent weapons first?

Why add a weapon early, that might be frikkin rare, but take a long time to add workhorses like AK74?

Pistols....FNX and Magnum first? Makarov or Tokarev nowhere to be seen? "Longhorn" almost in game?

You have already stated, that you dislike AK's and most likely majority of Russian weapons, makes me think that H1Z1 might be a lot better game for you  :) . But then again if Devs cater to gamers like you, DayZ Standalone will become just another of your generic games, when speaking about weapons atleast.

Hope that makes you happy..yeah it most likely does.

Why not to add the prevalent weapons first?

Why add a weapon early, that might be frikkin rare, but take a long time to add workhorses like AK74?

Pistols....FNX and Magnum first? Makarov or Tokarev nowhere to be seen? "Longhorn" almost in game?

You have already stated, that you dislike AK's and most likely majority of Russian weapons, makes me think that H1Z1 might be a lot better game for you  :) . But then again if Devs cater to gamers like you, DayZ Standalone will become just another of your generic games, when speaking about weapons atleast.

Hope that makes you happy..yeah it most likely does.

Several things...

One, who cares about what they add first? It couldn't matter less by comparison to what they add. The order in which they add weapons is irrelevant.

Two, the reasoning is expressed by Torchia. Weapons like the M4 and FNX are modular, pure and simple. This is an alpha, so they need to test their newfangled attachment system. It was easier to achieve these goals by adding the M4 and FNX respectively.

Three, I certainly do not dislike AK's or Russian weapons. I love them, they're wonderful weapons. I've fired AKs many a time on the range and own a Mosin-Nagant myself. However, I don't see "Western/NATO" weapons as unreasonable. Please do not confuse my advocacy for Western/NATO weapons as a hatred for "Russian/Warsaw Pact" weapons. I have never, ever, ever expressed a hatred or dislike of Warsaw Pact weaponry. Ever.

Four, if the experience of DayZ is so bound up in the weapons for you... as to make it "catered" to a certain "type" of gamer, then you are truly lost.

What makes me happy is not discriminating weaponry based upon country of origin. I love AKs, VSSs, SVDs, and Bizons. I love M4s, Mk 11s, Mk 17s, and MP7s. I want both/all in DayZ. Why is this threatening? We can all have the weapons we want, without arbitrarily and condescendingly marginalizing a certain swath of weaponry. 

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I mean, I'm sure plenty of marksman were using bound natural camouflage before the Scottish (not referring to the Vietnamese sniper above). But the actual concept of a "Ghillie Suit" is certainly of Scottish origin, especially as a piece of battlefield kit.

Yeah I know. That's why I was "wtf" when they said this vietnamese sniper was the first to use it 50 years ago when it's been in use for ages. 

In fact it was from this documentary...Go to 15:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pq9oqwmnG0

• Like 1

Up until 2 patches ago the list of weapons were

Mosin - Russian

SKS - Russian

M4 - USA

baikal shotgun - Russian

Blaze 95 - as far as I can tell made up.

FNX - Belgium/US

Revolver - US?

So that's almost half the weapons right there.

A vietnamese female sniper called the bitch is known by most to be the first to use a ghillie suit in combat. Did you know?

Lovat Scouts, a Scottish Highland regiment formed by the British Army during the Second Boer War, is the first known military unit to use ghillie suits.[3] In 1916, Lovat Scouts went on to become the British Army's first sniper unit.[4]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghillie_suit

• Like 1