Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Rolling Update Rev - 0.43.116251

My god, the new zombie speeds is probably one of the worst attempts at improving the game that they've introduced in a patch to date. As if it wasn't already hard enough to avoid the zombies running through walls and hitting you from a distance because of server desync, now I can't even run faster than them! They are buggier than ever! I love being hit while running 10 feet in front of them at my fastest pace. Please stop implementing these worthless attempts at hiding how buggy your server sync and AI logic really is - just fix the actual core issues with the networking and Ai instead of trying to band-aid them with stupid game-altering experiments like these.

Well stop running from them and kill these zombies! First Person + Fists = Dead Zombie

And you can still out run them just zick-zack and dont run in a line!

Zombies are actualy running upstairs in some buildings! Devs good Job !

Edited by Brasilo

My god, the new zombie speeds is probably one of the worst attempts at improving the game that they've introduced in a patch to date. As if it wasn't already hard enough to avoid the zombies running through walls and hitting you from a distance because of server desync, now I can't even run faster than them! They are buggier than ever! I love being hit while running 10 feet in front of them at my fastest pace. Please stop implementing these worthless attempts at hiding how buggy your server sync and AI logic really is - just fix the actual core issues with the networking and Ai instead of trying to band-aid them with stupid game-altering experiments like these.

agreed. 

The re-spawning and speed of the Z's on this latest update is now a little excessive.

It would be ok if you had the time to bandage, but it currently takes so long to bandage that by the time the animation is finished a Z has spawned, ran at you and hit you before you can get moving or equip your axe.

I just got my ass kicked in the middle of a field, armed to the hilt with bandages and an M4.

• Like 1

I like that the Zeds can kick your ass now. Time to team up with people and give a hand every once in a while. First time I jumped on this patch on the exp server, I ran into a town and found a guy fighting off a bunch of them with a machete and had to help him kick their asses, as he was getting pretty overwhelmed. Helped him loot a town and went on our separate ways. Wouldn't kill some of you be nice to other players every once in a while, as the zeds are definitely a threat now :P

If you're firing on zeds, you're asking for trouble. If you're using melee, just learn how better to do it. I've taken on 3 zeds at once in the latest build and, yes, started bleeding, but I killed them, went for cover and then bandaged. If you bandage out in the open where new spawned zeds can see you, you are begging to bleed again. Use your noggin, people.

Preventing zeds from going through walls is not an easy fix, but will occur on a building by building basis. At release, the only building configured for zeds was the hospital, more buildings have been reconfigured since. It will eventually get better.

That said... they can't see you through interior walls unless you've aggro'd them. So, stop sprinting around everywhere and making a ton of noise. Stop walking straight up in front of windows. You'll find you aggro them less. One of the keys to this game is situational awareness. So, be aware... if you hear a zed groaning outside, maybe not so good to run around on hardwood floors.

Dont get me wrong, this recent patch is great.. Desync is pretty much not existent anymore. Zombies are a bit of a challange now. They new loot is also fantastic. However what i have since that hotfixpatch that came a few hours after the big one, is that i have now rubberbanding and random teleports while walking/running/sprinting around. I managed it to stay alive for quite some time now, however as i type this post, im traped in the only room in those new police stations that you usually cant access. You now ask how? Pretty easy, i walked into the building did a look around found some stuff and left the building and was aproxamitly 100m away already when it teleported me back into the building right into that room. And not only did it teleport me into this fucking room. it brooke my legs as well. I get teleports like this all the time, i broke my legs about 4 times so far to those awesome (ironie) teleports, which yesterday made me wait for a friend to come online to fix my legs because i was running out of wooden sticks (and since i had this teleport the second time with broken legs i always had at least 2 wooden sticks with me). Whenever i enter a building with a second floor i have to be scared now about breaking my legs cause of a random teleport/rubberband/however you wanna call it. I mean its great that desync is gone, but i'd prefer to have a desync every now and then over the fact that i can be teleportet into locked rooms/somewhere in the air and then breaking my legs.

im totally aware that in an alpha not everything works as intended but i feel like that this expierence needs to be posted. couldnt find anyone else so far having those problems, and it might be due to my aweful internet. If thats the case then im not quite sure what went wrong on that patch. Cause my aweful internet was never a problem when playing dayz in the last few months (nor was it ever a problem in any other online game in the past 15 years).

Just had another playsession on a server with 10+ people and had massive lag/desync problems again. Zombies were invisible (could only hear but not see them) and using weapons, doors or inventory items was a pain. Reloading my weapon took almost two minutes (!) between the reload command and the actual reload animation/sound. Got a "session lost" after a few minutes while fighting a zombie. Once I logged back in there were two zombies right in front of me, but I managed to run into the nearest house without being killed. My military jacket is now ruined and most of the ammunition I was carrying in it. Still lots of zombie noises outside but nobody to be seen.

In this mornings playsession (server with only 4 or 5 people) I noticed that since the latest update zombies also act very weird. They keep falling and sliding above the ground practically killing themselves. Something is seriously wrong and the lag/desync issues are definitely NOT fixed.

I've put in few hours after the hotfix and so far I can't really tell if the desync is better or at the same level as it was in the 36.

Obviously the session loss, desync and slow connecting issues that came with the 42. patch seem to be completely fixed, but as I was playing yesterday I got randomly rubber banded back into a building I had just left and later my friend complained that she had some problem with getting stuff into her inventory. It is worth noting that we both were behind the same router and I had no problems with my inventory. Also as I was playing alone today I had the broken yellow chains for couple of minutes and in the players list my desync value was about 3500. Ofcourse all these could have just been random connection problems or something.

I think the ambient audio thing is still there, so you're going to hear zombies that aren't there.  It's usually a rabbit hanging about making noises no rabbit should make.  I've heard people reloading, people eating, zombies where there are none.  If that bug is still in there, then that's what's causing the noises.

I only played a couple of times this build and have only teleported once (and it helped me lose a zed on my tail), but haven't had any other problems with desync, yet.  My experience so far has been much better in terms of desync and rubberbanding than in earlier builds.  I can open doors nice and smoothly, haven't had a problem with weapons.  But that's only my experience.

Edited by entspeak

The last two build i almost had no issue with rubberbanding, in older ones yes i had but not recently. The desync probs are better than ever as in you are able to use stuff the whole time. But this rubberbanding killed me more often then any desync ever did which is not really an improvement for me.

When will the dev begin to solve the collision problem? Can you simply explain why it is that hard to prevent zombies from going through the walls? Why it rarely should be a problem of other games?

As stated earlier in this thread, buildings, rocks and trees do not exist for zeds. So I guess this will change with the new AI for them, because they need to be "told" where they can see you and walk (line of sight/pathfinding algorithms of the AI)...

No new AI -> Zeds bite your butt trough the wall  :P

So you have to wait for news from Bratislava.

Edited by Agilov

As it was explained to me, it's not the zeds, it's the buildings. Every building needs to be configured for zeds. You'll notice that zeds can't see you through walls unless they're targeting you - they may hear you or see you through a window, but they can't see you through walls when they aren't targeting you. The only building that has "officially" been configured for zombies is the hospital (as in, they said it has), others may have been done since then. But, it's not an easy fix and it's not a fix of the zeds, it requires a fix of every building on the map.

Edited by entspeak

New zombie animations in testing (they are considerably faster). We will be engaging with the community to decide if these new animations result in the zombies being too fast."

Now that would be good idea if:

- Zombies couldn't walk and see trough walls and floors like usually. These walking corpses track your ass down better than any human.

- You could kill them whit melee weapons. (20 hits to face whit hammer or shovel does jack shit). Currently at fresh start you can just run until they eventually give up.

Rubberbanding/lag/warping is still there, when you do the usual 20 minutes of running to ne airfield. At the beginning it's all smooth and pretty much everything else works better than before.

Just hoping you get player cap to least 100 when you get netcode properly sorted.

edit: sprinting whit shovel (any 2 handed weapon?) makes less foot sounds than supposed.

Edited by sdry
  • Like 1

As it was explained to me, it's not the zeds, it's the buildings. Every building needs to be configured for zeds. You'll notice that zeds can't see you through walls unless they're targeting you - they may hear you or see you through a window, but they can't see you through walls when they aren't targeting you. The only building that has "officially" been configured for zombies is the hospital (as in, they said it has), others may have been done since then. But, it's not an easy fix and it's not a fix of the zeds, it requires a fix of every building on the map.

Must have missed that one?! :huh: I didn't know a mesh needs special treatment for collision detection and line of sight stuff...

I like the new hotfix for the most part. However i'm not enjoying the new zombie speeds. I had a zombie in heels catch up to me in a full sprint, hit me, and made me bleed. I always felt zombies should overwhelm with numbers rather than speed.

• Like 3

I totally agree with that. We need more zombies, slower but everywhere, inside buildings. And of course we need hordes moving around!

• Like 3

The new zombies are definitely changing the pvp gamplay too. Last night we have been fighting off a bunch of zombies while trying to loot that small military base at Chapaevsk I think - saw a couple of guys with m4s and instead of getting all hostile and trying to take each other's pants we kept fighting off the zombies. In the brief moment between when all zombies were dead and they respawned we actually exchanged some ammo and bandages. I guess the idea that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is changing the gameplay a bit (I was skeptical of saying "improving the gameplay" as I know many still prefer to KOS which is fine if they're that way inclined).

Plus the new patch is much better, can actually play the game now. A few random teleports but nothing like the issues we had on the weekend.

• Like 1

I like the new hotfix for the most part. However i'm not enjoying the new zombie speeds. I had a zombie in heels catch up to me in a full sprint, hit me, and made me bleed. I always felt zombies should overwhelm with numbers rather than speed.

I nearly filled my pants the first time a group of zombies caught up with me...totally unexpected. Must have missed this update when I ready through the changelog....!!!!!

Ok, an update from me then. In post 1055 I wrote that I can now aim (had mouse problems before) and had not killed anyone yet. Now some sad survivor is gone because of me after we ran into each other on the NWA. But before I do my naked celebration dance around a campfire - wait, ne campfires yet, I am actually quite supprised that I pulled that off.

We both came around the corner to enter a hangar, just from different sides, both had an SKS out. Both get panicky, turn back to go back to the hangar sides. Problem for me: Windows warning sound is played, I'm abruptly transported back to my Desktop with a warning window saying that there is a problem with too much RAM consumption of DayZ and that I should save any working data and close the application. YEAH SURE!!! BEST IDEA EVER!!!

So I went back into DayZ, the whole thing took probably 5 seconds. Sprinted behind the hangar, carefully already aiming around the corner and TADA - my first kill. After that shootout I decided to skip the other buildings, just quickly look if the guy had something I need (I needed SKS ammo). The guy only had very few bullets, so now instead of 11 I have 8. Great. But he had wood for creating a splint. And I always got the message that my leg is in pain, but had not found morphine anywhere - the message does tell me that my leg is broken, right?

And here the lagging started. It felt like 5 minutes, was probably more like 2, when I was openly standing behind the hangar, trying to get the ammo and the sticks. It took forever to

a - through away 2 cans of food

b - get the ammo

c - get the sticks.

So I had no lagging problems the whole time UNTIL I encountered another player. Well, I guess, that's not the best time for that... .

After I finally had the stuff I ran as fast as I could back into the treeline. There I decided to create a splint and see if that would fix my leg. Splint created, had it in my hand, right at that moment a zed start feeding on me. Well, before I loose the splint, lets just use it - that was the idea. After all, there was not enough room for it in my backpack. Yeah right. The option was there, I selected to do it, but did anything happen? No. After quite a while with the zombie taking small bites out of me all the time, I decided to switch to my axe. Also not working. I was able to run around and evade the zed some, but running around like an idiot right next to the airfield ultimately did not seem very smart. At one point my char finally switched to the axe and I killed the zed, but that of course resulted in my splint going missing. Never found that again.

So after all is said and done, my leg is still in pain and I have less ammo than before. My lost health with the zed is probably irrelevant, but I forgot to check if any of my things got ruined. And it took 2 bandages to stop the bleeding. So obviouly there are still sync issues, even if you are not rubberbanded back.

Questions:

1. Does leg in pain mean that its broken (fix with splint or morphine) and should I not be reduced to crawling like an infant in that case? Had that twice before... .

2. Does it sometimes take more than one rag to stop bleeding or was that some glitchy thing?

3. I had that windows memory message a few times before, but not in the last weeks. I have 8GB Ram and I think that should be enough. Do others have that problem?

Now I feel conflicted. Happy with the fights result, not so happy with the lost splint because my char refused to apply it and then refused to switch to the axe resulting in me running circles next to the airfield with a zed making a ruckus.

Edited by bautschi

Big thanks for the update. Its pretty good for me.
Nice performance, only a little desyncs...New zombies are awesome :-) The new city is very nice and the "rock formations outside Svetlo" are beautiful.
keep going <3

If you're firing on zeds, you're asking for trouble. If you're using melee, just learn how better to do it. I've taken on 3 zeds at once in the latest build and, yes, started bleeding, but I killed them, went for cover and then bandaged. If you bandage out in the open where new spawned zeds can see you, you are begging to bleed again. Use your noggin, people.

Preventing zeds from going through walls is not an easy fix, but will occur on a building by building basis. At release, the only building configured for zeds was the hospital, more buildings have been reconfigured since. It will eventually get better.

That said... they can't see you through interior walls unless you've aggro'd them. So, stop sprinting around everywhere and making a ton of noise. Stop walking straight up in front of windows. You'll find you aggro them less. One of the keys to this game is situational awareness. So, be aware... if you hear a zed groaning outside, maybe not so good to run around on hardwood floors.

Think about the actual gameplay though.

Judging by what you are saying all the guns and ammo should be used on other players and we should tip toe around the Z's. This shouldn't be a deathmatch type game.

The whole thing that makes DayZ stand out against other zombie games is the ability to strategise around the masses and bump into other players without knowing what may happen.

Instead of having zombies running they should be walking in different group numbers, collecting in areas where people are or maybe where thee used to be livestock.

Zombies randomly spawning in fields and running at you from any direction means as a solo player it's almost impossible to clear an area effectively.

For example, just this afternoon.

I approach a town from the east, I scope out the field in the north and there is nothing there.

I then walk along the north side of the town looking in to see what there is and I get knocked out by a zombie which has just spawned behind me and sprinted at me, making no noise till after its first swings at me.

I always move tactically, always checking over my shoulders periodically. But I shouldn't have to keep looking behind me when I have verified there is nothing there and that I really need to focus forward.

I have played over 200 hours of the standalone but will be putting it down now till this is changed.

• Like 2

Questions:

1. Does leg in pain mean that its broken (fix with splint or morphine) and should I not be reduced to crawling like an infant in that case? Had that twice before... .

2. Does it sometimes take more than one rag to stop bleeding or was that some glitchy thing?

3. I had that windows memory message a few times before, but not in the last weeks. I have 8GB Ram and I think that should be enough. Do others have that problem?

Now I feel conflicted. Happy with the fights result, not so happy with the lost splint because my char refused to apply it and then refused to switch to the axe resulting in me running circles next to the airfield with a zed making a ruckus.

Leg pain is leg pain. I've received arm pain messages. I think these are just test messages for something not implemented entirely, yet. I would pay those no mind because painkillers don't work yet. You'll know it's broken when you get the fractured status.

Bandage thing could've been lag.

I'd report the memory leak on the feedback page.