Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Rolling Update Rev - 0.43.116251

I make my suggestions in the "Suggestions" subforum, for starters. I'm hardly a fanboy to the mod for understanding the restricitons that are present in the engine and the AI. Why you can't grasp that thought is beyond me. I can tell you that *they're not zombies but infected, cause I stated that you are a survivor who didn't get infected. And yes, devs want our opinion, and you're entitled to yours. But I've told you why there are still major problems. If you still fail to see why that is, I can't help you further. In a nutshell, the infected will be bugged for quite some time, and I really think the devs don't actually need about a thousand posts telling them that they are clipping through the walls and that it's a bug, cause they probably know that they are clipping through the walls and that it is indeed a bug. Same goes for their vision, hearing and superpowers. It needs to get fixed, it will get fixed, but it doesn't need to be pointed out that much cause doing that won't speed up the process. Sorry.

For the scientific term of a zombie, I could try and tell you why I think the infected should actually be better/stronger/faster than us, and why it would actually be a plausible scenario and somewhat realistic state of infected people, but I see that you've decided to counter me on everything, and honestly, you're starting to annoy me a bit and I honestly like the most of this community, so I'm gonna keep it that way.

Well, you came at me guns balzing on my first post, and why you dont seem to grasp the fact that when you buy the game, you get a big sign saying its in alpha dev. When you start the game you have to click an accept button that says its an alpha with many bugs etc etc. Why on earth do you start of right at the bat thinking Im a morron not knowing this? You have your oppinions, I have mine. You seem to think that for me calling them a zombie and not infected is wrong somehow? Why? Cant they be both? "Wheres that damn zombiedictionary when you need it". I counter you on everything because your not really helpful in your answeres, you are more condescending. Therefor I kinda don´t really care what you think do or say. But let´s end it here shall we. You got your ideas, I got mine, none of us are right or wrong in anything. Its a game, its a story, it can be whatever we want it to be. And I don´t want it to be fastrunning zombies!

Now, as long as we're on the subject. Does anyone know why they still are running through walls? I never stumbled upon explanation of the devs why this is happening and if they'll be able to fix it soon-ish?

In simple terms, zeds dont see the world like us, they dont/cant see walls and things like that so they just walk through them. There is an old devlog that explained this( as far as i remember), but dont take my word about this cause i dont really understand a lot of this myself.

Btw... patch looks good! Great work!

While I have to agree, more dangerous Zeds are a plus, I have to question their spawn mechanics. I watched a town for a RL half hour yesterday, and could not see a single Zeds anywhere. That is until I entered the town, then they started popping up everywhere. Why do players even cause Zeds to spawn? With that mechanic, a player can never really sneak or hide anywhere. I just wish they would spawn at random locations regardless of players actions. That would actually enable someone to "Clear" a place of Zeds, at least for a little while, so he/she could do what they came to do, whether it be to find supplies, or just get into a good position.

I honestly do not know the mechanics behind the Zeds .... But it seems linked to players.

What I would like to see considered, is with a standard random spawn also have a Zeds spawn where a player is killed, like 10 min later .. how awesome would that be lol.

Thanks

Rocket in a recent interview (sorry i forget the source so ignore of you wish) mentioned that they would like to do something along the lines of zombies spawning in the tree line and walking into the towns as was suggested in reddit. That would make the most sense to me (for villages, towns and cities at least - I hope they add random zombies in the wild and the odd horde as well). Edited by Roshi
  • Like 2

Well, you came at me guns balzing on my first post, and why you dont seem to grasp the fact that when you buy the game, you get a big sign saying its in alpha dev. When you start the game you have to click an accept button that says its an alpha with many bugs etc etc. Why on earth do you start of right at the bat thinking Im a morron not knowing this? You have your oppinions, I have mine. You seem to think that for me calling them a zombie and not infected is wrong somehow? Why? Cant they be both? "Wheres that damn zombiedictionary when you need it". I counter you on everything because your not really helpful in your answeres, you are more condescending. Therefor I kinda don´t really care what you think do or say. But let´s end it here shall we. You got your ideas, I got mine, none of us are right or wrong in anything. Its a game, its a story, it can be whatever we want it to be. And I don´t want it to be fastrunning zombies!

Guns blazing? I've commented on a fact that your first post was a rant (considering how much you hate things and think things are stupid) and proceeded to explain why zombies can't be what you want them to be. If that's guns blazing for you, then you need to man up a bit, the world's not a peachy place. I've taken time to explain to you why they are made the way you don't like them and you think that's condescending? And no, I call them "zombies" too, but I don't wanna tell people they're not undead, but infected, and then be a hypocrite and call them zombies myself

(Merriam_Webster dictionary - Zombie: a person who moves very slowly and is not aware of what is happening especially because of being very tired

: a dead person who is able to move because of magic according to some religions and in stories, movies, etc.)

In simple terms, zeds dont see the world like us, they dont/cant see walls and things like that so they just walk through them. There is an old devlog that explained this( as far as i remember), but dont take my word about this cause i dont really understand a lot of this myself.

Btw... patch looks good! Great work!

Yeah, I know that part about not seeing walls, but what I actually meant is - do they know why that is? I haven't seen anything ever officialy said about it, so I'm asking here.

And now they can run up the stairs... we should, in theory, be able to hide behind stairs?

There is a new patch out yesterday. Size is around 162.8mb, anyone knows what is that for?

Edit:

WTF!! Zombie now can sprint that fast!? where is the changelog for this update.

Edited by mareak

Guns blazing? I've commented on a fact that your first post was a rant (considering how much you hate things and think things are stupid) and proceeded to explain why zombies can't be what you want them to be. If that's guns blazing for you, then you need to man up a bit, the world's not a peachy place. I've taken time to explain to you why they are made the way you don't like them and you think that's condescending? And no, I call them "zombies" too, but I don't wanna tell people they're not undead, but infected, and then be a hypocrite and call them zombies myself

(Merriam_Webster dictionary - Zombie: a person who moves very slowly and is not aware of what is happening especially because of being very tired

: a dead person who is able to move because of magic according to some religions and in stories, movies, etc.)

Wow, just wow! You actually did it! You were helpful once. Posting the dictionary thingy was the thing I have been trying to get you to understand. B e h e l p f u l, not a condescending douch. So your telling me you are calling them zombies aswell, yet you try to "educate" me to not call them that? Doesnt really matter what you tell me anymore man, I can understand you might know your stuff about the Dayz mod, not questioning that at all. And yes, I do "hate" how the movieindustry changed the hole zombiescene. Have you ever considered english might not be my native language? And this making gramar and so on very loose? I did say "sorry" for using such strong word, as you seemingly keept pointing it out. Tbh, just take a chillpill and "man up" abit yourself, Ill do the same. Keep going at it sticks and stones style or move on... Ball is yours.

There is a new patch out yesterday. Size is around 162.8mb, anyone knows what is that for?

Just log in, run full speed trough electro and shoot one or two magnum shots and you will find out.  :)

Wow, just wow! You actually did it! You were helpful once. Posting the dictionary thingy was the thing I have been trying to get you to understand. B e h e l p f u l, not a condescending douch. So your telling me you are calling them zombies aswell, yet you try to "educate" me to not call them that? Doesnt really matter what you tell me anymore man, I can understand you might know your stuff about the Dayz mod, not questioning that at all. And yes, I do "hate" how the movieindustry changed the hole zombiescene. Have you ever considered english might not be my native language? And this making gramar and so on very loose? I did say "sorry" for using such strong word, as you seemingly keept pointing it out. Tbh, just take a chillpill and "man up" abit yourself, Ill do the same. Keep going at it sticks and stones style or move on... Ball is yours.

I'm actually amazed you find the copy/past from the dictionary more helpful than an explanation why game mechanics (and not the devs, or the wishes of the community) won't allow zombies to be what you want them to be.

And yeah, I'm calling them zombies, cause I got used to the word. You can call them giraffes if you want to as long as you understand what they are. Simple as that. I'd actually like slow moving hordes too, but I understand that the engine won't allow it, and that's what I've been saying from the first reply. I don't know why you don't find that "helpful", but that's the way it is. They can't walk when they attack because soldiers in Arma 2 didn't walk when you attacked them. They ran and zig-zagged, At least they got rid of that last part. And why do you bring up your grammar? I never mentioned it. And I'm not a native speaker either. I'm keeping the ball this time and taking it home with me, I'm done with this conversation, since we're running around in circles here. (and don't take this offensive as well, I'm just saying I'm done with this topic)

Yeah, I know that part about not seeing walls, but what I actually meant is - do they know why that is? I haven't seen anything ever officialy said about it, so I'm asking here.

And now they can run up the stairs... we should, in theory, be able to hide behind stairs?

Zombies run through walls because the path finding is not complete for them yet. They need to be told what and where objects are and how to navigate them.. It is being worked on by a dedicated team out of Bratislava.

I'm actually amazed you find the copy/past from the dictionary more helpful than an explanation why game mechanics (and not the devs, or the wishes of the community) won't allow zombies to be what you want them to be.

And yeah, I'm calling them zombies, cause I got used to the word. You can call them giraffes if you want to as long as you understand what they are. Simple as that. I'd actually like slow moving hordes too, but I understand that the engine won't allow it, and that's what I've been saying from the first reply. I don't know why you don't find that "helpful", but that's the way it is. They can't walk when they attack because soldiers in Arma 2 didn't walk when you attacked them. They ran and zig-zagged, At least they got rid of that last part. And why do you bring up your grammar? I never mentioned it. And I'm not a native speaker either. I'm keeping the ball this time and taking it home with me, I'm done with this conversation, since we're running around in circles here. (and don't take this offensive as well, I'm just saying I'm done with this topic)

The engine can cater for hordes and more intelligent "Enemies" :-P. the engine interprets scripts that tell it how "smart" an enimy will be. the AI just needs to be re-written or expanded and they are doing this as we speak.

The engine can cater for hordes and more intelligent "Enemies" :-P. the engine interprets scripts that tell it how "smart" an enimy will be. the AI just needs to be re-written or expanded and they are doing this as we speak.

We were talking about why the "enemies" are infected people and not undead zombies. As far as I know, Rocket said that Arma 2 AI didn't let them make the infected walk when aggroed, so they just went with the infected story, instead of undead, walking zombies, cause soldiers in Arma 2 didn't actually walk when they attacked, and they zig-zagged which caused zombies in the mod to zig-zag also. I could be wrong, of course, when we talk about DayZ, but I was under the impression they've decided to keep most of the AI and hang on to the infected, and got rid of zig-zags and stuff like that. I don't know much about development and all that, but I thought that there will be no slow-walking zombies no matter what they do to the AI?.

We were talking about why the "enemies" are infected people and not undead zombies. As far as I know, Rocket said that Arma 2 AI didn't let them make the infected walk when aggroed, so they just went with the infected story, instead of undead, walking zombies, cause soldiers in Arma 2 didn't actually walk when they attacked, and they zig-zagged which caused zombies in the mod to zig-zag also. I could be wrong, of course, when we talk about DayZ, but I was under the impression they've decided to keep most of the AI and hang on to the infected, and got rid of zig-zags and stuff like that. I don't know much about development and all that, but I thought that there will be no slow-walking zombies no matter what they do to the AI?.

I see what you are talking about. The one thing that they have done is re-write the bulk of the engine to cater for their needs with this game. Hence why they scrapped it after working on it for over a year and started again (the arma 2 engine could not cater to their needs). The Zombies/Infected/AI are place holders from that, and will be reworked to suit their vision for the game. so there probably will be slow, fast, strong & weak ones running around. plus they will be able to break down your barricades when they see/hear you inside your house. I do agree that the visual distance for them needs to be tweaked. I also agree that the term Zombie is a state of presence, how they got to be that way.... maybe they were infected :-)..... I do like the walking dead's take on it.

Just log in, run full speed trough electro and shoot one or two magnum shots and you will find out.  :)

I know now, Zombie sprint very fast now? right? almost give me a heart attack!! omg!

I see what you are talking about. The one thing that they have done is re-write the bulk of the engine to cater for their needs with this game. Hence why they scrapped it after working on it for over a year and started again (the arma 2 engine could not cater to their needs). The Zombies/Infected/AI are place holders from that, and will be reworked to suit their vision for the game. so there probably will be slow, fast, strong & weak ones running around. plus they will be able to break down your barricades when they see/hear you inside your house. I do agree that the visual distance for them needs to be tweaked. I also agree that the term Zombie is a state of presence, how they got to be that way.... maybe they were infected :-)..... I do like the walking dead's take on it.

Well, that's the thing :D I'm not sure anymore if they went with the infected theory cause of the AI restrictions in the mod, or they actually like the idea of that more than zombies. If we're talking realism, I like the infected idea more, cause it may be plausible in some percentage.

That being said, I like the idea of huge zombie hords more as a concept, and it's actually more scary than fast running infected (probably why Michael Myers made me shit my pants, and the Scream killer made me chuckle). It's just more horrifying not being able to escape someone or something that should never be able to match your speed.

Not taking it offensive either. Well, nevermind anyways. Im not a veteran Dayz mod player, only played for 12-13 hours total. And never played Arma 2 original game at all. I took up my grammar because I think I might missunderstand what you are saying and/or say something I might not mean. English is hard for me, as I took german and spanish instead of english back in school. Well, nevermind. Lets end this thread now and hope next one might be alittle more fun. Have a nice zombie apocalypse.

I know now, Zombie sprint very fast now? right? almost give me a heart attack!! omg!

Tell me about it, was playing the hours before the patch, went out for a drive to the store. Come back, log in and... Yea, you might get were this is heading.  :)

Not taking it offensive either. Well, nevermind anyways. Im not a veteran Dayz mod player, only played for 12-13 hours total. And never played Arma 2 original game at all. I took up my grammar because I think I might missunderstand what you are saying and/or say something I might not mean. English is hard for me, as I took german and spanish instead of english back in school. Well, nevermind. Lets end this thread now and hope next one might be alittle more fun. Have a nice zombie apocalypse.

This is a brand new game now actually, the mod was made for Arma 2. I don't know if you're playing the mod or the standalone game, but you're writting in the standalone part of the forum.

I didn't find your English bad, so I didn't think you might have problems understanding or expressing yourself, if that was the case, I hope we got everything figured out now.

And you have a nice infected apocalypse as well :)

• Like 1

Tell me about it, was playing the hours before the patch, went out for a drive to the store. Come back, log in and... Yea, you might get were this is heading.  :)

and they keep spawning too? i had to run out of town to avoid them, i just keep running. I cant imagine new spawn at the beach. 

This is a brand new game now actually, the mod was made for Arma 2. I don't know if you're playing the mod or the standalone game, but you're writting in the standalone part of the forum.

I didn't find your English bad, so I didn't think you might have problems understanding or expressing yourself, if that was the case, I hope we got everything figured out now.

And you have a nice infected apocalypse as well :)

Standalone, thats what I play, wanted more zeds/infected after playing, so bought arma 2 and fired up the mod aswell, but Im getting slaughtered there.  :rolleyes:

and they keep spawning too? i had to run out of town to avoid them, i just keep running. I cant imagine new spawn at the beach. 

Been running around the map some hours now, and one thing strikes me. Was in Gorka, tons of zeds. Went to Novy/Stary Sobor, found 4 zeds, no new respawns at all... Now just past in the military base there to the west of Stary sobor and havent seen a single zombie in there. Even fired some shots with a 1911 I finally found a clip for there, and still no zombies spawned. Seems to be some kind of generation of the spawnings maybe?

Oh, I cant be sure, but seemed to me that all places visited was untouched, militarybase was atleast. Lots of loot, and no zombies?

Edited by Fevero

I hate zombies. I hated them before, and now I hate them more. They run faster than me, they can ruin my stuff in one hit or make me blood. I can't shoot them otherwise more zombies spawn. I'm tired of hearing them moo. What should I do? Stop playing until next patch, that's it.

I was with a friend at NW airport looting stuff. They managed to ruin his vest and pants, and my pants too. I think I will just keep looting beans in farms.

Edited by Karakoz

Standalone, thats what I play, wanted more zeds/infected after playing, so bought arma 2 and fired up the mod aswell, but Im getting slaughtered there.  :rolleyes:

Make sure you download DayZ Commander if you haven't already. Easy to use, and you can download all the mods, directly from it, not just the original mod.

I hate zombies. I hated them before, and now I hate them more. They run faster than me, they can ruin my stuff in one hit or make me blood. I can't shoot them otherwise more zombies spawn. I'm tired of hearing them moo. What should I do? Stop playing until next patch, that's it.

I was with a friend at NW airport looting stuff. They managed to ruin his vest and pants, and my pants too. I think I will just keep looting beans in farms.

Melee?

Btw...

Edited by hoffa

Melee is the reason for which we got our stuff ruined.

I wouldn't stop playing because of that, someone's gonna find a way of dealing with them sooner or later until they're fixed.

Been running around the map some hours now, and one thing strikes me. Was in Gorka, tons of zeds. Went to Novy/Stary Sobor, found 4 zeds, no new respawns at all... Now just past in the military base there to the west of Stary sobor and havent seen a single zombie in there. Even fired some shots with a 1911 I finally found a clip for there, and still no zombies spawned. Seems to be some kind of generation of the spawnings maybe?

Oh, I cant be sure, but seemed to me that all places visited was untouched, militarybase was atleast. Lots of loot, and no zombies?

I found that it was untouched too. I headed back down to elektro and cherno and thats were all the players were lol. big PVP going on. head to the western side of NWAF and there are plenty of Zeds.

I found that it was untouched too. I headed back down to elektro and cherno and thats were all the players were lol. big PVP going on. head to the western side of NWAF and there are plenty of Zeds.

I also found more guns & ammo that my 2 friends and I could carry