DesertSage

Very curious about choice of gender.

I've always been curious why guys IRL decide to have female avatars/characters.

Can anyone that do it give me a type of answer/reason? I'm just curious, i've always found it funny.

I play games to do things I can't in real life. Like playing with girls. 

• Like 11

It is very normal for you to be curious at your age...

Oh wait, different conversation. I don't understand it either. Generally the answer I get is "if I'm going to be looking at my character's butt all day, might as well be pretty".

• Like 7

Just so you know op, uncle phil in my avatar is not really me. 

• Like 2

Generally the answer I get is "if I'm going to be looking at my character's butt all day, might as well be pretty".

This is essentially my reasoning. 

• Like 1

Can anyone that do it give me a type of answer/reason? I'm just curious, i've always found it funny.

It is very normal for you to be curious at your age...

Oh wait, different conversation. I don't understand it either. Generally the answer I get is "if I'm going to be looking at my character's butt all day, might as well be pretty".

Personally, I don't really like to just stare at a character's ass, period, but I just always like the look of chicks in game who are wearing tougher looking stuff; tac gear, and weapons, and all that.

In other games, like MMO's (when I actually played them) I would pick male characters for the fighter types, and female characters for the caster types. This was generally because while I would love an armored female character who looked sorta hot but bad-ass, you usually got female "armor" that was either just slut gear, or a far weaker version of the male armor. When it came to magic users, all of the robes and non-armor clothing were girly looking robes that just looked awkward on dudes.

If the option is available, I usually pick old men characters because an old dude who looks like he can ruin someone's day is always pretty cool, at least in my book.

• Like 2

The same reason you think it's proper to play a guy? What's the difference? I never understand these threads. I go back and forth, but I don't really have a valid reason other than I get bored of looking at the same character for too long.

• Like 6

The same reason you think it's proper to play a guy? What's the difference? I never understand these threads. I go back and forth, but I don't really have a valid reason other than I get bored of looking at the same character for too long.

I should have clarified. I understand in gaming in general, some people don't associate themselves to their characters. I don't understand in a game where you regularly speak to other players. Seems a bit off to have a girl walk up and talk like Barry White.

• Like 2

beans to berry white!

i would say, to be perfectly honest, that its for the slutty female clothing. and anyone who says "if i gota stare at an ass all day..." is hiding the fact that they want to look at slutty females. theres nothing wrong with it, its perfectly normal. and im a married man. thankfully my wifes comments on the slutty females is not a negitive one.

yeah by default it made me a woman my first go around, I prefer to stick to my own gender.

but then again while I'll sorta "roleplay" mostly I play my character as a digital representation of myself.

but all in all if you want to have character of a different gender that's fine, I do think with build in voice chat it is strange hearing a mans voice from a female character 

Whatever floats the players boats I guess.

I prefer to play as a male avatar, as I try and play how I would, given the scenario. I play hardcore so staring at an arse is no problem for me!

I can just see it though...

"oh yeah, look at that arse, aint she purty!"

The dreaded black screen of death appears

"shite, should have been paying attention"

Edited by Nuggit

I like to play as a Princess sometimes.. yes, a 35 year old bearded Irish, married father of 2 and USMC vet. likes to play a game and sometimes does that as a girl who is a princess. 

Day_Z_2014_03_12_00_04_31_27.jpg

Deal with it. :D

Edited by lrish
  • Like 10

Well, I'm a girl. So, logically, I made my very first default character a dude. Because I didn't know that a female char existed. These days though I am playing mostly as a female, and since they introduced female voices in the experimental, I'm happy. Just the choice of faces via skintones doesn't make me happy. I'm a tanned caucasian. That, translated into the characters, makes me an asian or a mexican. I know I should care less but WTF?

I hate to say this, but that bugs me. Character Customization in the Beta would be nice.

Now, on the other hand, I have had a few male characters. Other folks would run up to me with the usual spiel "Hey, what's up, friendlyfriendlyfriendly!!!!111" , and once they figured that not only am I female but also have a (german) accent, it can go anywhere:

It ranges from an instant headshot over "Hey let's team up!" to "Areyouonsteamwhatsyoursteamaccount/phonenumberandwhydoyouplayaboysgame???".

I enjoy the variety of trying either male or female and the different reactions when meeting other folks of different nations and ages, even if / when I decide not to communicate vocally but only by Direct Chat.

If / when they put in more char-customization, definitely female.

...oh, and is there actually a visible difference between the male and female butt? I never even thought of that...

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 2

The reason I choose male is because I want to reflect myself into the character and do things I can't do in real life, such as fighting dragons and killing a lot of people to blow steam on a bad day.

I chose black female a few times just to roleplay it. Has nothing to do with sexual appeal it's just nice to have an option besides "white male".

• Like 1

I like to play as a Princess sometimes.. yes, a 35 year old bearded Irish, married father of 2 and USMC vet. likes to play a game and sometimes does that as a girl who is a princess. 

Deal with it. :D

A guy can't be a pretty princess? What kind of sexism is that!?

• Like 3

The reason I choose male is because I want to reflect myself into the character and do things I can't do in real life, such as fighting dragons and killing a lot of people to blow steam on a bad day.

I kill dragons in RL all the time. Oh, wait... that's drag-ons, like time dragging on and on with infinte boredom filling the space ^^

I'm not gonna go into the second part since both killing people or blowing off steam may have a negative impact on the crowd  :D

But in all seriousness, the default character I start over every time I die...it somewhat truly has become an extension of myself ingame. When folks approach me, I'm way bolder (or cautious) than I would be in RL. Just another draw factor for dai-sy :)

Edited by Demonica

For a while the game was glitching and making me be a woman lol

Same thing, it gave me a randomly-generated character a while back. I haven't died yet so I still look like this:

8bnBUv3.png

• Like 4

8bnBUv3.png

^ Epic..

Rupauls Drag Race needs new contestants I heard. :P

• Like 2

Because everyone, deep down inside, really wants to be a girl.

Hell, everyone started out as a girl before they got gender confused and became men, so we virtually fix that mistake.

• Like 2

Every time there is a patch it seems to wipe out your default setting and randomly gives you a character thats the one and only time i have played a female character.. As i play 1pp didnt notice at first till i opened my inventory lol. the moment i saw i was female i went straight to electro to have a laugh and die.( just doesnt seem right a man in his 40's playing a girl but hey thats just me..

Whatever floats the players boats I guess.

I prefer to play as a male avatar, as I try and play how I would, given the scenario. I play hardcore so staring at an arse is no problem for me!

And the exact opposite is the answer to OPs question. Some people like to play games differently than the way they would act in real life, that's the beauty of this wonderful medium of video games.

Everyone in this thread seems to be alright so far, but I've heard some say it makes them uncomfortable and weird; they're either confused and unsure about some "things" or too far gone off the deep end to save. :P

Edited by Hells High

I do not set a default character so every time I die it is a random new avatar.