Sign in to follow this  
MasterPepper7

Anyone Miss the Mod's Medical and Humanity Approach?

First off, the SA is awesome. It has several upgrades from the Mod and the new survival aspects will take it into a new realm of awesome. Once vehicles hit, I will play nothing else, and there is still a ways to go. This said, I have stopped playing it for some time, and I am back in the mod.

Why? The Mod is a Simulator that got 1.7 million players by NOT being completely lifelike. I would argue that this is an aspect that I have not seen in the SA at all. What is better for me -> An awesome video game, not a simulator where I will spend hours doing simply basic and trivial survival things (EVEN THOUGH I recognize this as a core game mechanic, I would kill for the old medical supplies as opposed to ALL the new aspects such as colds and heart attacks) and then move up to better things with some morphine and a pack of antibiotics being all that is required.

Basically, I would rather worry about zombies, look for helicopters, shoot bandits, and talk with heroes (I vote for this system to come back). This survival approach has merits, but I have 400 hours in the mod with its limits, bugs, and 3 medical items. If I could have the Mod with better graphics and mechanics only, I would be happier. 

• Like 1

I miss the mods many buildings you could enter as well as it's flexible and intuitive inventory system... :(

• Like 3

No game or anti-game can ever be completely life-like. The SA is more life-like IMO. I think this is a good thing.

Most of my memories of the humanity system consisted  of people complaining that they were KOS'ed for having bandit skin yet infact were friendly, being KOS'ed by people with the hero skin, and being afraid of any player interaction because it might end up with them having a bandit skin, which would end all possible interaction for the during that life.

I have always been a fan of complexity and messing up because you didn't realize how something worked... it feels like reality. I should mention that I greatly enjoy Dwarf Fortress too, for the same thing. But I understand that the opinions there can differ.

It's the little things that I like.. in the end they're not that hard to take care off but the require attention all the time. You've got to make sure you keep your basics covered at all times. Can't wait for persistent storage to hit. Loved how we'd plan an action in the mod, gear up for it, leave non essential gear at the "operating base" if you will, and set out to do whatever we planned to do. We'd spend more time on our "logistic" side of things than any action ever lasted (lying in wait aside ofc).

You can always just continue playing the mod rather than trying to impose your opinion of fun and change the direction of the Standalone. You can always do that.

• Like 1

Not the humanity system, no.

I also didn't care for the medical system either. 

Esolu - Yes, by giving my two cents, I am imposing my will of the exact definition of fun to all. Bud, comments like that do not pull you ahead any or win you any Internet fame.

The SA is awesome, but I always felt that there was more to Dayz then just the survival aspects. Getting enough tools and medical loot was always step 1, then I could move onto Step 2 whichever that was.

The humanity system was broken, but I still like player recognition even if it's not "like that in real life."

But maybe I am just completely mad; this is probably more accurate. Just my opinion.

We are all a bit mad :)

And I understand you even though I don't agree with you.

I just don't think the path you suggest is a path that can be taken any further than it was in the mod.

The only thing I miss from the mod is the gunplay. The guns felt accurate and deadly now they feel like poop.

First off, the SA is awesome. It has several upgrades from the Mod and the new survival aspects will take it into a new realm of awesome. Once vehicles hit, I will play nothing else, and there is still a ways to go. This said, I have stopped playing it for some time, and I am back in the mod.

Why? The Mod is a Simulator that got 1.7 million players by NOT being completely lifelike. I would argue that this is an aspect that I have not seen in the SA at all. What is better for me -> An awesome video game, not a simulator where I will spend hours doing simply basic and trivial survival things (EVEN THOUGH I recognize this as a core game mechanic, I would kill for the old medical supplies as opposed to ALL the new aspects such as colds and heart attacks) and then move up to better things with some morphine and a pack of antibiotics being all that is required.

Basically, I would rather worry about zombies, look for helicopters, shoot bandits, and talk with heroes (I vote for this system to come back). This survival approach has merits, but I have 400 hours in the mod with its limits, bugs, and 3 medical items. If I could have the Mod with better graphics and mechanics only, I would be happier. 

So what you are saying is you would rather have an easy shooting game over a difficult survival game...................i will politely disagree sir.

easy games are a dime a dozen, i dont understand why people have to try and dumb down this game too, for once i wish people would just take on a challange. 

I played the mod again, just to fly around in a chopper on a new map they made. But thats it. People are scared to interact,

the cuddle up cosy in their exclusive squads, build their camps, and run around kill others. Its nothing more than some milsim

with 1% survival. Oh you got hit? Take this bloodpack. Its just too easy, not surviving, but fighting. In SA you'll think twice when you

have some gear if you're really going to engange. You cant just back up, blood pack up and you're good to go. And such shit

makes fighting frustrating in the mod, except everyone just headshots with an M107.. yay..

The only thing I miss from the mod is the gunplay. The guns felt accurate and deadly now they feel like poop.

I feel like the guns in SA are very realistic, and they should stay the way they are.

I actually don't miss anything from the mod except the number of zombies and the fact they all swarmed you if you shot a Lee Enfield.

I didn't play the mod, but it seems silly to bring up the colds and heart attacks that aren't even really in the game yet. Heart attacks made experimental a couple weeks ago, but it's basically just a way to make unconsciousness have multiple causes, so the Defib has a purpose and so triage takes a bit longer. The "medic" system simply does not exist in any real sense.

As for the meta-game in Standalone, have we even really seen it? Most of the time I'm frustrated with DayZ, it's because of something not in the game yet, not because it was implemented poorly. Even when that is the case, like with zombies, the devs have already acknowledged that they're barely more than placeholders. I get the concerns, and I appreciate how much fun the mod was, since it is the reason the SA is even being made,, but I also trust the professional game developers to know how to realize that vision far better than I ever could.

So what you are saying is you would rather have an easy shooting game over a difficult survival game...................i will politely disagree sir.

easy games are a dime a dozen, i dont understand why people have to try and dumb down this game too, for once i wish people would just take on a challange. 

If you really think they're trying to say they want an easy game, I question your intelligence. If you're willing to pretend to misunderstand someone so you can rewrite their thoughts as something stupid and pathetic, I question your integrity.

They like the milsim and faction aspects of the game, that's all. It's not that hard to figure out. There's no reason to decide that it means they're not hardcore enough for you. Who crapped in your punchbowl tonight?

Nope dont miss it at all infact i hope they go further and push harder on the survival aspects of the game....

I dont ever want to lose PvP but i do want it to be just part of the game not the whole game....

Been playing alot of project zomboid of late ( damn that game is epic if they made the graphics to say the sims3 level id be in bloody heaven lol) and to be honest i hope they take some more ideas from that ( they already seem to be doing it with how there cooking works etc) a game that basicly tells you your going to die its just a matter of how and when, your not some super elite solider your average joe trying to survive in a zed apoc vs Dayz mod your super soliders fighting other gangs of soliders with the annoyance of zeds running around in the back ground...

The humanity topic has already been beaten to death with about 40+ pages of "NO'S".  So you have at least half your answer

no to humanity, current med system is fine and will only get better.

humanity is silly

The humanity system never worked - when you can become a bandit by defending yourself that has dumb written all over it. The medical system needs to be more complicated but they shouldn't add in heart attacks just so the defib has a use. In fact, get rid of the defib it's not needed and WON'T run off one of those tiny batteries ffs helloooo???? reality??? Why is everyone going to be suffering from heart disease anyway? replace the heart attacks with something better.

I agree the humanity system was broken as all hell, but if this could be tweaked into a new system, I would be all for it

But I do recognize the value of everyone being constantly considered a threat without cautions being given by the game.

I am glad I do not make these decisions :D

I miss the mods many buildings you could enter as well as it's flexible and intuitive inventory system... :(

What you did there, I see it. ;)

I feel like they should fix the netcode, not fun when you shoot someone 20 times with m4 only to die 2minutes after because it didn't register

Still so many people don't understand that we wont be having heart attacks while running randomly and it is just another state of unconsciousness. Why does no mother fucker read anymore?

@OP No i think the way SA is going it better than the mod in all honesty, if you want to play how the mod is either play the mod or play arma 3 wasteland OR wait for a year or 2 and then when mod tools are out and see what people come up with.

Survival sim for the win.