OrLoK

Arma3 Third person fix mod...thoughts?

Absolutely if incorporated poorly it would suck but with some bug fixing and refinement it could be a huge huge addition to the game. The potential benefits are too great not to include.

As for your point of the importance of something like this I believe these small gameplay additions are of the upmost importance. They are super important because they affect gameplay. If added early their potential benefits could be better gauged.

I disagree that it is important because there is a whole hive dedicated to providing a place to remove this facet entirely. That should be sufficient for the foreseeable future. Now get me my persistent storage, base building, and vehicles! Or at the very least, zombie collision, working stairs and ladders and player inventory persistence.

as long as it would have no lag between them disappearing and reappearing and the line of sight was spot on I would be down for this. just to shut the first person mode crying. I like 3pp usually but would like something implemented just to shut up the whining.so please add this or something of the nature that's even more refined.

as long as it would have no lag between them disappearing and reappearing and the line of sight was spot on I would be down for this. just to shut the first person mode crying. I like 3pp usually but would like something implemented just to shut up the whining.so please add this or something of the nature that's even more refined.

The whining and crying as you say would be instantly stopped if they added this mod or their own homegrown equivalent.

But the true benefit is how much this tiny mod and hopefully easy fix would change gameplay and player interactions.

Imagine the tension and adrenaline encountered when running into someone.

Imagine the suspense when engaged in a firefight how both sides would be extremely nervous about moving forward or not imagine how flanking would be effective since you could no longer safely peek around cover.

Edited by gibonez

The whining and crying as you say would be instantly stopped if they added this mod or their own homegrown equibalen

In life, I've generally found that people crying for silly reasons, tend to find more silly reasons to cry.

• Like 1

In life, I've generally found that people crying for silly reasons, tend to find more silly reasons to cry.

True they would just move onto the next hot topic.

So basically, you are lonely because nobody wants to play the way you want to play, so you want to force them to play the way you want to play?

Precisely  :thumbsup: 

In saying that, I think if it was the only mode, people would come to love it. It is only because we have DayCare mode that people then become to rely on the advantage and in turn want it to stay. There is no valid excuse to DayCare apart from, "it's just too hard". I am not intentionally being insulting to people that play 3PP, I just have never heard a reply that has made me think differently even after reading this entire thread.

• Like 1

True they would just move onto the next hot topic.

There are people here that won't be happy until we are all naked, covered in feces, and hitting each other with rocks for the one can of beans that spawns every week. Then someone will say "respawning beans is unrealistic".

• Like 1

JUST GO TO 1st PERSON ONLY SERVER? What's your problem? Jesus....

I like 3rd person more than 1st so please devs lock all servers to 3rd person, thanks.

Precisely  :thumbsup:

In saying that, I think if it was the only mode, people would come to love it. It is only because we have DayCare mode that people then become to rely on the advantage and in turn want it to stay. There is no valid excuse to DayCare apart from, "it's just too hard". I am not intentionally being insulting to people that play 3PP, I just have never heard a reply that has made me think differently even after reading this entire thread.

So, in other words, the North Korean approach applied to game development? I'm not sure what makes you think that anyone needs to justify their preferences to you.

So, in other words, the North Korean approach applied to game development? I'm not sure what makes you think that anyone needs to justify their preferences to you.

Yes, it happens all the time in "game development" actually it is very rare to have much import as an end user into the development in any game... Hence my post ;)   and who did I ask to justify their preference? I stated my thoughts on it as you do in forums and that is it, no more, no less. People can chose to either read and reply, read and ignore or just totally ignore my post. I won't lose sleep over any of those outcomes.

Now in the respect for the other members if you would like to discuss this further in PM, I am more than happy to do it but don't think us going backwards and forwards will do the thread any favours. 

Unless it works like crap and people vanish around partially obscuring things like stairs or windows or de-sync causes people to pop in and out of existence in front of you or hackers use it to screw us all over.

I'll be honest, while this is early alpha and I am very forgiving, knowing what I signed up for on buying it, there's a lot wrong with this game that needs to be worked on. Third person is about the last thing on that list.

If it doesn't work they can just remove third person.

If they don't want to try and fix third person they can also just remove it.

• Like 1

JUST GO TO 1st PERSON ONLY SERVER? What's your problem? Jesus....

I like 3rd person more than 1st so please devs lock all servers to 3rd person, thanks.

This mod caters to you and people who like FPV only.

This mod would fix third person view and finally end the constant debate over third person view.

Both sides will finally stop arguing over this subject.

Yes, it happens all the time in "game development" actually it is very rare to have much import as an end user into the development in any game... Hence my post ;)   and who did I ask to justify their preference? I stated my thoughts on it as you do in forums and that is it, no more, no less. People can chose to either read and reply, read and ignore or just totally ignore my post. I won't lose sleep over any of those outcomes.

Now in the respect for the other members if you would like to discuss this further in PM, I am more than happy to do it but don't think us going backwards and forwards will do the thread any favours. 

Well, the thing is, I'm on your side as far as wanting to play first person. The problem I have is just the idea of forcing people into it. As for the justification bit, you were being pretty derisive to 3PP players and suggesting that they needed to convince you as to why they want to play that way. I don't think it is necessary to do that.

I don't know why we'd need to PM, the point of a forum is to post where others can read. I think there is value in calling the push for first person only, what it is. A vocal minority trying to hijack the majority. I'd suggest the hard core players start finding a way to draw players that is effective, because right now, I can't see why anyone would go anywhere near hard core based on the opinions and comments coming from the players of that hive.

If it doesn't work they can just remove third person.

If they don't want to try and fix third person they can also just remove it.

They did. On a hive. Where you get to sit alone.

• Like 1

if the game switches to 1pp/FPV ONLY on release:

a bunch of players who liked 3pp/regular have to play 1pp/hardcore,

or stop playing the SA, or go back to the mod.

this is not a bad thing.

then the game is experienced in it's true form for all, and those who can't deal with it/don't like it can play a different game.

didn't the lead developer of this game say first person is better, more immersive and ultimately the better experience?

didn't he also say that 3pp is only still in the SA because BI is afraid it will hurt further sales and be "unappealing to the majority of current players"?

please don't cop out to the scrubby unwashed masses of teenagers playing this.

some of us are grown and can appreciate bold artistic commitment.

we're the people who support, test and viral market this game.

listen to us, not them!

• Like 2

Well, the thing is, I'm on your side as far as wanting to play first person. The problem I have is just the idea of forcing people into it. As for the justification bit, you were being pretty derisive to 3PP players and suggesting that they needed to convince you as to why they want to play that way. I don't think it is necessary to do that.

I can not and will not force people into anything.

Please quote me where I said ..

3PP players and suggesting that they needed to convince

I just said "I haven't seen a valid excuse", pretty simple mate. No one has to provide me with no one has to do anything with what I say or post. Some people get their knickers in a twist because they fear change but I can't help that. 

I don't know why we'd need to PM, the point of a forum is to post where others can read. I think there is value in calling the push for first person only, what it is. A vocal minority trying to hijack the majority. I'd suggest the hard core players start finding a way to draw players that is effective, because right now, 

Once two people have made their points it is usually detrimental to go backwards and forwards over the same points, that is why. Using words like "vocal minority hijacking" just makes your argument look weak and whiny. You don't need to do that to make a point, just argue the facts. 

I can't see why anyone would go anywhere near hard core based on the opinions and comments coming from the players of that hive.

Please enlighten me about this as I am new to the forums and don't know of what you are talking about.

I can not and will not force people into anything.

Please quote me where I said ..

I just said "I haven't seen a valid excuse", pretty simple mate. No one has to provide me with no one has to do anything with what I say or post. Some people get their knickers in a twist because they fear change but I can't help that. 

Once two people have made their points it is usually detrimental to go backwards and forwards over the same points, that is why. Using words like "vocal minority hijacking" just makes your argument look weak and whiny. You don't need to do that to make a point, just argue the facts. 

Please enlighten me about this as I am new to the forums and don't know of what you are talking about.

Suggesting they remove third person is "forcing people to play first person".

That it is a vocal minority is just a fact. The reason given for this whole debate to continue even though there is already a hive dedicated to 1PP is "not enough players". That means minority. And boy is it a vocal one.

The forums bit is that representatives here from your community like to throw around phrases like "DayCare" and "Care Bear" and "Exploiters" and suggest that their way of playing is superior to all other ways of playing and suggest or demand the removal of 3PP entirely.

This coming from someone who would have been just fine with this game only having first person and who is generally annoyed at having to switch between the two on normal servers.

Suggesting they remove third person is "forcing people to play first person".

That it is a vocal minority is just a fact. The reason given for this whole debate to continue even though there is already a hive dedicated to 1PP is "not enough players". That means minority. And boy is it a vocal one.

The forums bit is that representatives here from your community like to throw around phrases like "DayCare" and "Care Bear" and "Exploiters" and suggest that their way of playing is superior to all other ways of playing and suggest or demand the removal of 3PP entirely.

This coming from someone who would have been just fine with this game only having first person and who is generally annoyed at having to switch between the two on normal servers.

No a suggestion is just that, a suggestion. Even if my "suggestion" had any weight whatsoever and the dev's listened to me, it is still just a suggestion. The dev's are only ones who can force anyone into a particular style/mode.

Good I am glad the community is vocal whether for or against my ideas, that means it is alive and well. It is not my community it is ours... everyone's and everyone has a right to a say. Noobie or experienced anyone who has paid for the game has a right to a say.

But anyway I think I have made my point, see you all on the airfield  ;)

if the game switches to 1pp/FPV ONLY on release:

a bunch of players who liked 3pp/regular have to play 1pp/hardcore,

or stop playing the SA, or go back to the mod.

this is not a bad thing.

Yea they wouldn't stop playing.

However the best solution is to not alienate a considerable chunk of the community, and implement a 4th wall style feature where your player cannot see around corners and over walls.

This will appease both sides and is honestly the best solution it keeps both sides happy.

Yea they wouldn't stop playing.

However the best solution is to not alienate a considerable chunk of the community, and implement a 4th wall style feature where your player cannot see around corners and over walls.

This will appease both sides and is honestly the best solution it keeps both sides happy.

Unless diverting resources to do this means eternally janky zombies going through walls, no vehicles, no decent base building, and no reasonable depth of play. Then everyone is unhappy. If this game is going to get its legs under it for the long haul, it needs to start progressing in the coming months. Messing with perspective is just a "nice to have" at this point. Giving players something to do other than find inventive ways to commit atrocities on each other is kind of critical in the very near future.

This mod caters to you and people who like FPV only.

This mod would fix third person view and finally end the constant debate over third person view.

Both sides will finally stop arguing over this subject.

This. It would also allow for 1pp play on 3pp servers and there would be no need for a giant divide in the communities servers due to the non-dumbs wanting to play a gamebreakingly bad exploit free game.

Anyone who can't accept a fix like this or even outright removal of 3pp if it doesn't work I couldn't care less about anything they have to say as they've proven time and time again they'll just say any random crap they can to keep their precious cheating in the game and it's pretty blatantly obvious that is the only reason.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

This. It would also allow for 1pp play on 3pp servers and there would be no need for a giant divide in the communities servers due to the non-retards wanting to play a gamebreakingly bad exploit free game.

Anyone who can't accept a fix like this or even outright removal of 3pp if it doesn't work I couldn't care less about anything they have to say as they've proven time and time again they'll just say any random crap they can to keep their precious cheating in the game and it's pretty blatantly obvious that is the only reason.

See, it is comments like this that pretty well make me want to argue to keep 3pp as is, so that I have a place to play where people who make comments like this won't play.

• Like 1

Unless diverting resources to do this means eternally janky zombies going through walls, no vehicles, no decent base building, and no reasonable depth of play. Then everyone is unhappy. If this game is going to get its legs under it for the long haul, it needs to start progressing in the coming months. Messing with perspective is just a "nice to have" at this point. Giving players something to do other than find inventive ways to commit atrocities on each other is kind of critical in the very near future.

There are not a finite number of things they can add to the game. This could be added and improve the gameplay immediately and also work on other things at the same time.

Something like this being added I would consider much more important than simple content because of how this actually affects gameplay.

See, it is comments like this that pretty well make me want to argue to keep 3pp as is, so that I have a place to play where people who make comments like this won't play.

But that said, I also don't give a damn if they leave it the way it is and focus on the dozens of other things I want more than this.

And statements like this is why nobody cares what you have to say, nobody is agreeing with you, and exactly why I said what I did. You don't want them to fix a horrible exploit that people have been complaining about since day 1 of DayZ mod and is the sole factor for there needing to be a divide in the community you instead want them to focus on adding things you want to the game.

This is the time for making the core game better and testing not making it the game YOU want it to be while not fixing bugs or problems. Why are you in this thread if you claim you don't care about it? Oh that's right to try and justify your desperate need of crutch camping.

Vanilla DayZ's seemed to manage just fine and have millions of players for the 2 years it's existed without base building, perfectly flawless zombies, or "reasonable depth of play". If you don't think an indie game with almost 2 million sales in the 3rd month of early alpha development and still gaining ~10,000 new players daily already has it's feet under it and is currently doing gymnastics then piss off and come back in a year. Game will still be here. With millions of players.

There isn't supposed to be a goal that players feel the need to go do instead of KoSing in this game. That goes against the entire point of the game. If people want to go around KoSing they go around KoSing. The 2 years this idea has been around for in every single variation of DayZ made that pretty obvious.

And if you actually bothered to read things the developers say like you should be doing in an alpha test you would know why zombies can still go through walls and will continue to do so until the entire map is completed.

This is 'DayZ Standalone's 2 million player early alpha development' not 'Valadain Presents: His idea of what features the game needs or it will never succeed'

The fact that you're going so hard against this and you crutch kiddies are 80% of the posts in this thread about fixing 3pp makes it pretty obvious that you're just making random excuses to keep your corner camping crutch no matter what perspective you claim to prefer.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 2

Obviously this is what's required. However you'll never sell the 3pp kiddies on it because the REAL reason they're using it is the exploitability of the current third person view system.

They'll kick, scream, cry and complain anytime you try to address the 3pp abuse issue. They'll throw out fake, poorly constructed arguments, lie about motion sickness, claim it breaks immersion to have characters popping up that previously couldn't be seen, despite the obvious flaw in their logic; that following your character from 5 feet behind and seeing through walls also breaks immersion.

They will try desperately to keep hold of their cheap little game breaking advantage, even if it ruins this game.

So, what this is going to come down to is pretty simple: Do the devs have the guts to implement something like this, even if the 3pp community cries about it and costs bohemia some sales?

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 2

Seeing through walls? Still works I'm ~82.7% sure because to the game your camera isn't behind the wall. But this is a problem with the engine and I don't think it will be fixed here until after we see it fixed on Arma 3.

No seeing the enemy through walls in 3rd person with the mod enabled.So expect a biblical flood of tears if this was implemented.

In first person,I found it almost imposable to do the wall glitch,but you could see the AI when I got it right.There was only a small narrow slit of the invisible wall the I could peer through in 1pp anyway after Efing around for 5mins to get the glitch

Edited by AussieBobby