blissfulkunt

"Flawed Concept" - Discuss

It's sad he's leaving. I'm scared this game might make a wrong turn and as some people have said that Bohemia will not listen to the community as much as with Dean as the project lead. Most game companies do what they think will make them more money.

I do have to agree with who ever said it that the game will never be the way Dean wants it to be simply because of how the community plays it. And I feel the only way to combat that is had they made The Z's the biggest threat from the start of the project. Most of the community has lost sight of the way this game was meant to be played. I feel this has also been part of the reason Dean is stepping down.

Do i think its the end for Dayz nope i dont , do i think its a very bad move by Dean Hall yeah i do .

He is walking away for a second time on dayz and to add injury to insult calls it a flawed concept its his concept if its flawed why did he run with it??

How can anyone in the future have faith in anything he produces if he may in all likely hood walk away from it when its not perfect ..

Nothing is perfect nor will it ever be, perfection is impossible and a perfectionist will fight to the bitter end to make it perfect to strive for it not go hey i have done all i can time for someone else that IS NOT A PERFECTIONIST..

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 2

when rocket "comes back" i'll be here saying "nah, we don't WANT you back"

Edited by pacific_coast

Here is my theory, Dean is leaving in 10 months because that is when his quote/un-quote contract with Bohemia will be over, thus he can make a clean break from them, without ruffling too many feathers.

So he makes off with a very large sum of cash, to create his own studio (Reinforces the whole idea that he was doing it just for the cash, so he could be his "own" boss.) and create another game, where he doesn't have to pay off another studio such as Bohemia, and increase his cut of the profits exponentially...

No developer should ever publish a game, and then get upset when the players who bought the game, don't play it how the developer wanted them to. Granted it was a 30.00 USD game off of steam, which I am enjoying, but seeing the lead guy, just decide to call it flawed, and announce he is going to leave at the end of the year because it wasn't how it envisioned it, is crazy, it's not like it's a completed version yet.

Someone needs to remind Rocket that this is ALPHER....

• Like 3

when rocket "comes back" i'll be here saying "nah, we don't WANT you back"

I guess being a member since January 14th means you speak for all of us.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

I guess being a member since January 14th means you speak for all of us.

i guess making dayz your life the past few years has work out pretty well for you?

no?

• Like 1

Watch out, we've got an allcaps badass over here.

DayZ was always flawed, that's why we loved it and played it for hundreds of hours, both the mod and the Standalone. Rocket was always flawed too, that's why he ignored the industry standards and made his own game and spoke directly to us the player and treated us as adults. He wanted to challenge us, rather than cater to the lowest casual denominator. Some people just can't handle honesty, honesty sometimes hurts.

Me, I kind of prefer Rocket being upfront with us, rather than sugarcoat us like the traditional industry players.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 8

Someone needs to remind Rocket that this is ALPHER....

This is exactly what must be done.

If by any chance DayZ makes a realise as a flawed product,when Dean

opens a new shop,i wouldn't be intreasted in any of his new "ideas".As harsh as it may sound,if he makes a good use of the invest i made,i will

be willing to invest alot more on his future ideas.But this game is still on the works,you wouldn't just consider about "leaving" also calling it a flawed project and that it dosen't meet your expectations.If you love what you do,you will stay backing you idea/game from start to finish,striving to make it better every day.

• Like 1

I think the concept is flawed at the moment due to the shitty zombies, a zombie survival game with shitty zombies is flawed no matter which way you look at it.

• Like 1

In the startup world, visionaries/ founders sometimes leave their companies once the money starts to come in. Why? Because once you have a working product with customers, you have to start sacrificing your vision to keep them happy, and to keep the company in the black. Now that 1.5 million people are playing, and there's bills to pay, there's a good chance it will never quite be what he wants it to be. There's too many other people in the process now. It can still be a great game- just not exactly what he had in mind. Time to move on to the next idea now that the current one has reached a logical end.

• Like 1

So what is this "Rocket's vision" I keep hearing about.

To make a game that people will play counter to how he want it played?

He's the game-maker. He's the rule-maker.

Did his "vision" fail, or did he fail?

Adds up to the same thing.

Last I heard from him was in a stream a couple weeks ago.

He was talking about chicken dishes.

Yeah- this is what I was getting at- you have a vision. You take the bold step of trying to make it a reality. It's hard. It may not pay the bills. It takes more effort than expected. People don't see your product the way you do and use it differently. That's reality meeting your idea- some people roll with it and adapt their concept to the real world. Others reach a point where they don't want to compromise anymore, chalk it up to a vision that could never succeed in reality and try again. Neither approach is wrong, and it doesn't mean that what they created isn't a viable thing- it just isn't perfectly in sync with what they envisioned. In the meantime we get something good from it even if the creator disagrees with the end result. I don't think that's failure.

Artists sometimes hate their own work for the same reasons, right?

• Like 2

Yeah- this is what I was getting at- you have a vision. You take the bold step of trying to make it a reality. It's hard. It may not pay the bills. It takes more effort than expected. People don't see your product the way you do and use it differently. That's reality meeting your idea- some people roll with it and adapt their concept to the real world. Others reach a point where they don't want to compromise anymore, chalk it up to a vision that could never succeed in reality and try again. Neither approach is wrong, and it doesn't mean that what they created isn't a viable thing- it just isn't perfectly in sync with what they envisioned. In the meantime we get something good from it even if the creator disagrees with the end result. I don't think that's failure.

Artists sometimes hate their own work for the same reasons, right?

It's nice to see someone who understands the mindset of the perfectionist in this thread. As I said in my first reply perfectionists are often considered borderline crazy, it's not unheard of for an artist to slash up a painting that other people think is a priceless work of art.

Just be glad that Dean is choosing to move on instead of "slashing the painting" and canning the project, he's leaving it in safe hands for us to enjoy.

• Like 1

It's like homer simpson said:

I've come to hate my own creation! Now I know how God feels.

And I'll just insert this from the other thread:

I think iBane got it nearly right:

To say that something isn't perfect or an exhaustive expression of all your hopes, dreams, ideas, and intentions doesn't mean it's a failure.  It means there are other ideas that need to be developed.  It means the quest for perfection is never at an end.  It means all things, no matter how good they are, can still be improved.  

Because the concept is flawed or doesn't encompass everything Dean would like to do in his career, doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't worth doing.   

Feel free to somehow feel cheated if you want, but I certainly don't.  I've gotten my $$$ out of DayZ SA already and it's only in Alpha.  Compared to the Alpha conditions of other games like RUST, The Dead Linger, or (dare I say) The War Z,  DayZ SA's alpha build is miles ahead of the typical alpha.  

It's preposterous, in my opinion, to suggest this game - if you've played other alphas for any length of time - was just a money-grab scam.

And here's what rocket said on reddit:

I want to make the ultimate multiplayer game at some time in my career. DayZ is not and was never intended to be the ultimate multiplayer game.
While this aim might not ever be achievable, it helps me be very critical of all the work I do and keep aspiring to do good and new things.
But some core issues with a game should not be addressed by changing the game, as they are risky and could destabilize the whole project to fix them - and change the experience completely.
tl;dr - I don't think DayZ is the best game I can make. Once my value to the DayZ project ceases I want to make better games.

And for gods sake (or whoever you worship) please don't get hung up now on the "not the best game i can make" -.-
He wants a perfect game. DayZ can not be perfect. That's the flaw.

..he IS far to direct and honest for a lot of people.

Edit: And also:

FTAz2pF.png

• Like 1

are there only members of the dean hall apreciation socity in this thread?

the issue is, the lead dev is abandoning the project because it is flawed.

so, for example:

"that building is great, even though the architect abandoned the project after three months and said it was fundamentally flawed and he could do better:"

jesus, people. this isn't a canvas. he isn't a master painter. this is a game. you write code and test it.

it take hard work and long hours and rocket doesn't like being in prague wahhhh i wanna go home now i've been paid already!!

Does rocket hate DayZ?

prob not, but i'd say he's bored of it and has no passion for the creative process outside of brainstorming.

Does rocket hate DayZ?

I kinda' suspect he does, I have been one of his most vocal critics on this forum over the last few weeks due to how I feel about his streams and such.

(Cue pacific_coast having a brain aneurysm over the fact that someone who criticises Rocket is also respecting his wishes to leave the project, thinking we're all just fanbois.)

I kinda' suspect he does, I have been one of his most vocal critics on this forum over the last few weeks due to how I feel about his streams and such.

(Cue pacific_coast having a brain aneurysm over the fact that someone who criticises Rocket is also respecting his wishes to leave the project, thinking we're all just fanbois.)

1000.gif
  • Like 1

seriously domina, if dean's ball sweat was a fragrance, you'd wear it.

i'm getting hardcore fanboy arguements from you in the other thread

seriously domina, if dean's ball sweat was a fragrance, you'd wear it.

i'm getting hardcore fanboy arguements from you in the other thread

Like I just said, I have been one of his vocal critics on this forum recently. I even had a mod reply to one of my complaints as if I were being out of line.

Call me a fanboi all you want, not everyone who disagrees with you is a fanboi and if you think otherwise you have some growing up to do.