blissfulkunt

"Flawed Concept" - Discuss

I didn't even notice. I talk too much. :|

Hahaha i was about to say the same thing :P

But concerning the other post you made....

I kinda' suspect he does, I have been one of his most vocal critics on this forum over the last few weeks due to how I feel about his streams and such.

(Cue pacific_coast having a brain aneurysm over the fact that someone who criticises Rocket is also respecting his wishes to leave the project, thinking we're all just fanbois.)

Yeah i also believe he dosen't like what he is doing and that's just wrong.It's not hate exactly...he feels it's something that is holding him back

which is incorect.Success formulas are rare and random,he may not duplicate his success on another game...but i suspect that his head is touching the clouds.

he had a nice idea. take the survial elements from wasteland and the cold system from namalsk and the AI from stalker.

he took 3 mods and switched the code around and called it dayz.

dayz sold more copies of arma2 that BI ever did, so they bought out dayz and we've got a standalone.

and now it's a flawed concept that is a stepping stone to rocket's "ultimate game"

ok.

go wait for his ultimate game, since rocket's image as a developer means more to you than dayz's functionality as a game.

Rocket called DayZSA a Flawed Concept.

What does this mean? Are we playing a game that is going nowhere?

How can we be assured this is gonna be the game we all backed by buying it early?

Will Bohemian take the money and not care anymore?

I have calmed down and dont think its the end that Dean is leaving... but what can we expect?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally have my concerns, I think they have made the bulk of their cash.

Dude i can understand your upset. Its rather strange he decides to leave in the middle of production of one of his greatest games. Idk we will have to see how it all plays out.

He reminds me of another guy if im not mistaken. That guy that always makes HUGE promises but fails to deliver most of the time. Guy who makes the Fable games if im not mistaken lol.

How many of you will buy a product from Rocket again if somehow this game goes under? Im just curious really not trying to troll.

Too be honest is he may have mentioned he was leaving EVENTUALLY, but not all of us read every reddit post or twitter post... I dont have a twitter account and my reddit account was created only a week or two ago...

Its saddening that the creator of the amazing idea's that have gone into DayZ will no longer be backing his game soon.. and announces he is leaving so early. AND tells everyone it is flawed... Im not exactly fucking pissed, it just gives me less hope of what I hope DayZ to become.

I will always love it and all but I never really thought of it as "Flawed" until the god of DayZ came out and said it was. Just confuses me making me think weird things.

I have gotten more then 30$ worth of entertainment already with 150 hours played, and I dont think he owes me anything... just like I said above I dont really think I have the same mindset anymore of how amazing DayZ Standalone will be.

Rocket called DayZSA a Flawed Concept.

What does this mean? Are we playing a game that is going nowhere?

How can we be assured this is gonna be the game we all backed by buying it early?

Will Bohemian take the money and not care anymore?

I have calmed down and dont think its the end that Dean is leaving... but what can we expect?

Discuss.

EDIT: I personally have my concerns, I think they have made the bulk of their cash.

What is the deal with all you conspiracy theorists? I swear anytime rocket makes any kind of statement theres always one tinfoil wearing nutjob who thinks rocket is making plans to take over the world.....

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar....

Frankly you insult my intelligence and my maturity by making such a crappy, personal response. I am not emotionally invested in DayZ, or any game for that matter.

I knew I was taking a risk when I paid £20 for an alpha but I knew what I was getting. I have sunk nearly 200 hours in to the game (10p per hour) and many more in to the mod, and while I would be sad if it suddenly broke down or disappeared I have certainly got my money's worth and would move on to the rest of the games I have been neglecting badly due to this project. However I don't think the game is going anywhere, he's leaving it in the hands of the ~30 people who have been working on it since at least Standalone released, he clearly trusts them to carry the torch. DayZ is just growing up and moving out of its mum's basement.

I meant exactly what I said in my post, otherwise I would not have said it.

Great post.

Honestly, Dean has never been anything but a figure head to me.  He was a guy who had an interesting idea and pushed it.  That idea took off almost entirely due to the community, not by anything Dean did.  He is to be thanked for the vision and for starting the whole thing off.  That being said, BI is the one who took a real risk in trying to develope DayZ as a product that could make money.  It has done that.  

When Dean talks, it is like he has never heard anything he wouldn't like to implement.  He is a dreamer, not a person whose job it is to actually get things in and working.  You will find people like this throughout life and in many fields.  Him leaving will have very little impact on how the game progresses or where it finishes.  He isn't writing code or producing art.  He set things in motion and was allowed to continue that in a paid position.

Honestly, there are plenty of people who can see the project to its logical conclusion.  I have close to 200 hours in game at this point.  Those who are babbling about doomsday scenarios and an incomplete product need to get grip. From the sound of it, you won't be happy with the final product regardless of who is working on it.  At $30, I have already gotten more entertainment than from 75% of the AAA games I buy in a year, and this is a A game if that.  BI isn't dumping much money into this.  The team is small.  This game will be a niche game for its entire cycle, but really, so are the ARMA games for the most part.

Enjoy what Dayz is, and what it will be.  Dean did good work and has started a great experience, but lets not overstate his influence on the current and eventual product.

• Like 5

How many of you will buy a product from Rocket again if somehow this game goes under? Im just curious really not trying to troll.

That depends, if it goes under after he has left then it can't really be anything to do with him and I will judge whether his future games seem like they're worth the money as I do before I buy any game. If the game goes under and it's a demonstrable fact that Rocket sent it under, I of course would be sceptical (just as I am toward EA and Ubisoft).

I must say, however, that I don't think this game will go under. It's a niche game, not only that but it's the origin of this particular niche and now it's one of the most copied games out there. The dev team that will be left after Rocket's departure have already been working on this game since before standalone was released, I think they're doing a good job and hopefully the game will last many years because I like playing it.

Like I just said, I have been one of his vocal critics on this forum recently. I even had a mod reply to one of my complaints as if I were being out of line.

Call me a fanboi all you want, not everyone who disagrees with you is a fanboi and if you think otherwise you have some growing up to do.

not a fanboy beacuse you disagree with me... on what i dont know....

but you are defending the shit outta this slap in the face to people who thought rocket had integrity and would stick around to finshih the game.

he has bastically said "i dont care about this anymore, it's boring, i can do something better"

after he took our money and wont finish the game he tell us it's flawed and he never liked it?

defending that is fanboyism

think of this outside of your emotional atachment to rocket as a artist and instead look at it as a financial one.

Great post.

Honestly, Dean has never been anything but a figure head to me.  He was a guy who had an interesting idea and pushed it.  That idea took off almost entirely due to the community, not by anything Dean did.  He is to be thanked for the vision and for starting the whole thing off.  That being said, BI is the one who took a real risk in trying to develope DayZ as a product that could make money.  It has done that.  

When Dean talks, it is like he has never heard anything he wouldn't like to implement.  He is a dreamer, not a person whose job it is to actually get things in and working.  You will find people like this throughout life and in many fields.  Him leaving will have very little impact on how the game progresses or where it finishes.  He isn't writing code or producing art.  He set things in motion and was allowed to continue that in a paid position.

Honestly, there are plenty of people who can see the project to its logical conclusion.  I have close to 200 hours in game at this point.  Those who are babbling about doomsday scenarios and an incomplete product need to get grip. From the sound of it, you won't be happy with the final product regardless of who is working on it.  At $30, I have already gotten more entertainment than from 75% of the AAA games I buy in a year, and this is a A game if that.  BI isn't dumping much money into this.  The team is small.  This game will be a niche game for its entire cycle, but really, so are the ARMA games for the most part.

Enjoy what Dayz is, and what it will be.  Dean did good work and has started a great experience, but lets not overstate his influence on the current and eventual product.

so much truth in this.

beans. and also this.

He is a dreamer, not a person whose job it is to actually get things in and working.  You will find people like this throughout life and in many fields.  Him leaving will have very little impact on how the game progresses or where it finishes.  He isn't writing code or producing art.  He set things in motion and was allowed to continue that in a paid position.

That basically sums up how I feel too, and I mentioned it in my first reply in the other thread. Dean's talent lies in being an idea man, he came up with a great idea and had the guts to see it to market when most developers and publishers wouldn't even dream of spending a dime on a project like this. That's why we end up with so many COD clones and other shovelware, and why the most innovative games often come from indie developers (and I say this as someone who hates most indie games, generally speaking).

I have been quite critical with regards to his hands-on management of DayZ, sometimes quite harshly. I actually wish him luck back in New Zealand with his own studio because his ideas are generally great and I want to see what else he can come up with, I completely trust the rest of the team to keep fixing and adding to DayZ in his absence.

but you are defending the shit outta this slap in the face to people who thought rocket had integrity and would stick around to finshih the game.

The game is going to be finished without him, this is what some of you people don't seem to understand. They're not stopping development in 10 months just because one man leaves, those ~30 other people have been doing most of the work since before standalone was even released.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

I have been quite critical with regards to his hands-on management of DayZ, sometimes quite harshly. I actually wish him luck back in New Zealand with his own studio because his ideas are generally great and I want to see what else he can come up with, I completely trust the rest of the team to keep fixing and adding to DayZ in his absence.

now that he can only do damage to dayZ until beta means that there is a slim chance that game could be salvaged.

'Flawed Concept' are buzz words your soon-to-be EX Lead Designer plants in the media to get his studio's flagship project off the ground with initial sales once announced (coincidentally at the end of '14/ beginning of '15).

i'm supposed to have faith in the 30 or so coding monkeys he's leaving the grunt work for?

i thought rocket was a visionary? how could the game turn out the same or better after he's f*cked off?

I paid $30 for DayZ, already played more hours to justify the $30, but I also bought DayZ wondering if I already had enough the 2013 zombie survival craze. I really enjoy the new inventory, crafting and clothing system, but I still have a problem with the core gameplay, it seems to be treated more as a respawn simulator, than a survival simulator and I don't think no amount of game mechanics can or should ever change that. 

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever Rocket is going to do after DayZ and I hold no grudges, I, for one, think he's always been brutally honest and that's really refreshing. It's shocking how he's been so candid, expecting us to react as adults.

Edited by Dallas

i'm supposed to have faith in the 30 or so coding monkeys he's leaving the grunt work for?

If you think that you might as well call it quits now, they've been doing most of the work since before standalone was released. Is this goodbye? Please tell me it is.

If you're a fan of Dean Hall then you respect his decision to leave the game in capable hands - hands of professional game developers with a formula that clearly has appealed to most, if not all of us so far. If you were never a fan of his then you should be relieved to see him walk from the project before 2015.

Either way you slice it, its reasonable to argue that this is the best thing that could happen to DayZ.

We as a community have more power to make this game into what we want than most realize. Take your finger off the panic button and disregard Deal Hall's questionable choice of wording.

The man has other dreams to pursue in his lifetime, why cant he get on with his goals and leave the solid foundation of DayZ with you, me, and BI?

• Like 1

i thought rocket was a visionary? how could the game turn out the same or better after he's f*cked off?

Because from personal experience- "visionaries" are usually terrible at getting shit done. If there are smart, capable people on this project, they will take the best parts of the "vision" add some other good stuff to it and make it work, with or without him.

I have no dog in this fight- just started playing. I know nothing about these people. But I've worked at small tech startups with "visionary founders" who quit before. Their leaving made things better in some ways as everyone could finally agree to an approach.

thing that worries me is i liked where dean wanted to go with the game but i hate to god ARMA 3 !

so will we now get it so it just becomes like arma 3 which is a shit game. i dont get why announce it now which will effect the game now when he could of left the news until he was leaving and game had progressed.

unless he wasnt good enough to further the game on and the BI arma team have taken it over. who knows anyways good luck with future projects but with how you have handled this i think youll need a lot of luck.

I'm not worried. we just have to hope that the community can take over and make it a success like the mod. Just hoppfully not something like epoch

I wouldn't care less,if he had wishes to start a game about zombies and plants (sarcasm) in the future.

What i care is,to see this current game fully completed,and a Lead Dev that actually talks with his team and community striving to make a better game for us DayZ fanbase.Now if he succeeds to establish this game playable/entertaining and ready for a full realease i will be gladly to follow his future work as a satisfied customer.If mr Dean thinks that this game developing,holds him back from his dreams of making a studio of his own and creating that elusive survival RPG (which is not DayZ),then i really think that he has to pass the scepter to someone that actually cares and will strive to make this game better more than his creator.

Edit:What i'm saying is,if he wishes to leave,he should leave as soon as possible and not in 10 months time.

Sooner the better,if he legitlly dosne't care that much,truth is someone else should pick up the slack,otherwise he may slow down the game's progress.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

I suspect that Dean called this "flawed concept" cause when he played game other players did not played like he wanted but killed him.

Dean was just player in his own game not king of it, and I think he hates losing.

The majority of the total sales have probably already been made.

What incentive should anybody have to go on from here? Would't make much sense from an
economical standpoint.

I really have to congratulate on the marketing tactics to convince so many people to purchase
an unfinished "flawed" product. It is something to learn from.

To hype a product to the maximum and then tell people not to buy it apparently created
even larger sales.

Simply brilliant.

• Like 2

I wouldn't care less,if he had wishes to start a game about zombies and plants (sarcasm) in the future.

What i care is,to see this current game fully completed,and a Lead Dev that actually talks with his team and community striving to make a better game for us DayZ fanbase.Now if he succeeds to establish this game playable/entertaining and ready for a full realease i will be gladly to follow his future work as a satisfied customer.If mr Dean thinks that this game developing,holds him back from his dreams of making a studio of his own and creating that elusive survival RPG (which is not DayZ),then i really think that he has to pass the scepter to someone that actually cares and will strive to make this game better more than his creator.

Edit:What i'm saying is,if he wishes to leave,he should leave as soon as possible and not in 10 months time.

Sooner the better,if he legitlly dosne't care that much,truth is someone else should pick up the slack,otherwise he may slow down the game's progress.

He leaves when he's no longer needed.

@ Whole thread/Forum/Reddit/Twitter

Why do you guys panic so much? I see good things coming out of this. I want to see what Dean will do with the potential of having a game company for himself.

Edited by Hosty
  • Like 1

I don't care if he leaves, he gave us a great vision. That being said...don't say the game is a flawed concept when it seems like the focus of the game's updates are things that aren't what the game should be about. Stop focusing on medical stuff, get the zombies working properly. THAT is why it is flawed right now.

Frankly you insult my intelligence and my maturity by making such a crappy, personal response. I am not emotionally invested in DayZ, or any game for that matter.

I knew I was taking a risk when I paid £20 for an alpha but I knew what I was getting. I have sunk nearly 200 hours in to the game (10p per hour) and many more in to the mod, and while I would be sad if it suddenly broke down or disappeared I have certainly got my money's worth and would move on to the rest of the games I have been neglecting badly due to this project. However I don't think the game is going anywhere, he's leaving it in the hands of the ~30 people who have been working on it since at least Standalone released, he clearly trusts them to carry the torch. DayZ is just growing up and moving out of its mum's basement.

I meant exactly what I said in my post, otherwise I would not have said it.

I agree. For those of you who think Dean is the reason why this game is already so great, you're wrong. Dean is an eccentric narcissist. The game will continue as it always has. If anything, I imagine the game will evolve more smoothly with his departure.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1