Sign in to follow this  
WolfgangErikson

Too much food. I wan't to feel the NEED to eat rotten food, or die of starvation.

I have never once come close to starvation. I am always healthy and never in any threat of dying of natural causes. I eat whenever I find food, and never carry any in my backpack. It just seems too easy. I think with the current spawning mechanics, the amount of food should be reduced. I only really have to scavenge for better gear and ammo, I want to have desperate search for food, only to finally have to eat rotten fruit out of desperation.

Of course before that can happen, rotten food needs to have more intensive to eating it. It needs to have a "chance" to cause sickness, but not always cause it. Either that, or it should build up and cause sickness only if eating too much rotten food in a few hours.

Lower the amount of good food, lower the risk of eating rotten food. Force me to risk eating rotten food out of desperation because it is either that or starvation.  Force me to stock up on good food, to get me through the dry spells.

I think this would make it a little more fun. Currently, when I am fully stocked and healthy, there is little to no point in even moving around the map, or looting buildings. I have everything I need, and I know if I do get hungry, I just need to go in a few houses. Easy.

• Like 1

Well, starvation(low energy level) is problem only for beginners (freshspawn). I heard thats 1 baked bean are enough for around 30 min (energy) activity. Loot spawn is bugged(not enough loot, should be more), they can't limit it as its still not finished but yeah, its still a lot food. I think they will deal with it later.

• Like 1

Lol, my experience has been the complete opposite, can rarely find food, unless I'm on a night, low pop server in Elektro...

*GET THE F#$%^& HELL DOWN OR ILL F$%^&* BLOW YOUR F#$%^& HEAD OFF*

I sure as hell would comply with that. I seem to only get held up by people that want to pour me a cup of tea.

• Like 1

I am always healthy and never in any threat of dying of natural causes.

Same.  I am hoping they make the player's body more of an antagonist here.

I sure as hell would comply with that. I seem to only get held up by people that want to pour me a cup of tea.

Lol, I'm a hero, but dont friggin trust anyone, I have a 3 meter rule, you come within three meters, u get one warning, second time, you get either a broken leg, or a bullet to the head depending on my mood xD

Considering how you can find crops seemingly growing everywhere, I don't think long-term starvation should be that much of an issue. 

It seems to depend on server population and frequency of server restarts. In a server that constantly restarts, or has few survivors, food hasn't been an issue for me. In busier servers that have been running a while without a restart, I've been reduced to starvation.

• Like 1

Lol, my experience has been the complete opposite, can rarely find food, unless I'm on a night, low pop server in Elektro...

Get out of Elektro

I'd agree with you if you didn't have to eat in this game every 30 seconds or so.

Yeah if you only drink a single soda.

If you actually eat until you reach the beginning of "Energized" then it takes a long time to die of starvation. If you're well energized you can go many hours without eating.

I've only starved to death once and it was one of my first times ever playing DayZ. After that it's been nearly impossible to die of starvation. Berries are enough to get you by as you travel inland for loot.

Edited by solodude23

If you sprint with turbo, you will notice that you need a LOT more food. I've actually died running. 

If you sprint with turbo, you will notice that you need a LOT more food. I've actually died running. 

Energy depletes at the same rate while moving, regardless of the speed of moving. Source: Merino's guides.

Besides, I run everywhere. I only eat fresh fruit and whatever soda/water I find, and have never had a problem. I've gone at least an hour without food, and never gotten hungry. The only thing I've ever noticed is dropping from bright green "energized / hydrated" to the dark green "energized / hyrdated" In which case I go into a grocery store (which I was going to do anyway to find ammo) and eat whatever I might find.

I do see your point about server population and restart rate making a difference. Currently I play on a hardcore, 10-20 population, 4 hour cycle server. I understand because the of current spawn mechanics the variance of loot amounts from server to server will vary because of this. Based on the servers I play, and what I've seen however, there seems to be way too much easy food lying around.

My point still stands about rotten food however. It pretty much offers zero reward for it's risk. The risk should be appropriate for it's reward. I think the current nutrition value is pretty good for it (Merino) however the getting sick mechanics should be adjusted to give insensitive to actually taking the risk of eating them.

Edited by WolfgangErikson

I am hoping the numbers change too.

I remember almost starving to death only once----But that feeling was great. That urgency. We need that.

• Like 1

Energy depletes at the same rate while moving, regardless of the speed of moving. Source: Merino's guides.

That guide was made before the hunger/thirst system was "modified" in the last patch. They gave no details about how it was specifically changed, but it was implied that it was more than the new hunger/thirst indicators because they listed that separately. 

Edited by Solopopo

That guide was made before the hunger/thirst system was "modified" in the last patch. They gave no details about how it was specifically changed, but it was implied that it was more than the new hunger/thirst indicators because they listed that separately. 

I also referenced my own experience as a source of my knowledge. Besides, I suspect the hunger /thirst modifications didn't effect energy consumption. Either way, It is still a non-issue for me.

I'd have to agree with the OP. The only times it's remotely hard to find food is if you die on a server that's been up for three or so hours before a restart. There's always a little bit of a panic, but you end up finding some. The only time I've been really concerned with dying to anything besides another player was just recently. I was shot by someone in a window in Elektrozavodsk which ruined my shirt and caused me to bleed. I ran to a corner with the intent of bandaging, but I had stupidly kept my only bandages in my shirt, so they were ruined. As I mentioned, so was my shirt, so I was in a bit of a pickle. I started booking it from house to house in a frantic attempt to find either some bandages or at the very least a shirt. By the time I found a shirt, I was barely alive.

It was awesome.

• Like 3

There is one problem with your idea OP.. they are adding in berries, and cooking and hunting and probably fishing too. 

Food will never really be an issue.

But if we get private hives, and the ability for admins to control loot spawns, etc.. Im sure you will get what you want eventually. 

There is literally NO reason to eat rotten food, it will only make you die faster, its fact.

There is one problem with your idea OP.. they are adding in berries, and cooking and hunting and probably fishing too. 

Food will never really be an issue.

But if we get private hives, and the ability for admins to control loot spawns, etc.. Im sure you will get what you want eventually. 

That is insulting, they could easily make animals sparce, and spawned food sparce, just cause they are adding in variety does not increase quantity (if done right).

Edited by Slyguy65

A little bit of tweaking wouldn't go astray. 

I find it a bit ridiculous that you can sprint from the coast to the far north and not need a rest/food/drink. 

I have never once come close to starvation. I am always healthy and never in any threat of dying of natural causes. I eat whenever I find food, and never carry any in my backpack. It just seems too easy. I think with the current spawning mechanics, the amount of food should be reduced. I only really have to scavenge for better gear and ammo, I want to have desperate search for food, only to finally have to eat rotten fruit out of desperation.

Of course before that can happen, rotten food needs to have more intensive to eating it. It needs to have a "chance" to cause sickness, but not always cause it. Either that, or it should build up and cause sickness only if eating too much rotten food in a few hours.

Lower the amount of good food, lower the risk of eating rotten food. Force me to risk eating rotten food out of desperation because it is either that or starvation.  Force me to stock up on good food, to get me through the dry spells.

I think this would make it a little more fun. Currently, when I am fully stocked and healthy, there is little to no point in even moving around the map, or looting buildings. I have everything I need, and I know if I do get hungry, I just need to go in a few houses. Easy.

If you're always in high population servers with constant restarts, you may.... MAY not have the same experience.

We all have different experiences, so even though I'm implying you play on low pop servers with lots of restarts, I may very well be wrong. I play on high pop servers because they're more tense. And I generally stray from the coasts to go to the more remote inland villages, and I'm constantly bumping into groups of people. Not one or two here and there, but like, everywhere. I guess the trend is a LOT of people are getting tired of starving to death trying to run the coast, so more people have taken the "Go inland!" advice because I think this week alone, I've had a giant shootout no matter how far from the coast I go. I even got sniped near the edge of the very top center of the map, close to the edge of nothingness.

I agree, scavenging shouldn't result in you having more food than you know what to do with, because that's what keeps players moving. The reason, now, I'm able to sometimes hide out in one of the military bases and shoot anyone trying to loot them is because I have so much food it would probably take 300 hours of ingame time for my character to run out and die (Not moving much and whatnot). But the game needs a balance. There should never be an instance where, by chance, no food spawns anywhere near you before you can make it somewhere and die. I realize some of you would find that the bees knees because that may happen in an end of the world scenario, but when it's all said and done, this is a computer game. It needs to strike some sort of balance between skill, tenacity, cunning and survival know-how.

With them adding in hunting, food growing in nature and harvesting and whatnot, then you can go and make cans of beans and tuna rare indeed, so long as it doesn't mean I'm just going to randomly starve to death one day without ever having an option to mitigate it.

I think the simplest solution is just to make your actions effect your hunger/thirst levels. 

• Walking should have a low consumption. You can walk for quiet a long distance before needing much.
  • Jogging medium. A shorter distance than walking but still pretty far.
  • Sprinting high. Only a km or so before you at least need to stop for a drink.
  • Going up hill adds a modifier as would other strenuous activities like melee and getting shot at (stress). 

Sickness obviously is already a good way to drain your hunger/thirst.

If they got the balance of that right, it wouldn't matter so much how much food and water was around the place. It could still be reasonably abundant while still requiring you to think about how much you're going to need for journeys and such.

Edited by Nicko2580
  • Like 1

I think the simplest solution is just to make your actions effect your hunger/thirst levels.

• Walking should have a low consumption. You can walk for quiet a long distance before needing much.
  • Jogging medium. A shorter distance than walking but still pretty far.
  • Sprinting high. Only a km or so before you at least need to stop for a drink.
  • Going up hill adds a modifier as would other strenuous activities like melee and getting shot at (stress).
Sickness obviously is already a good way to drain your hunger/thirst.

If they got the balance of that right, it wouldn't matter so much how much food and water was around the place. It could still be reasonably abundant while still requiring you to think about how much you're going to need for journeys and such.

Add temperature effects as well. You sweat more in hot weather or when wearing heavy clothing, increasing dehydration, and you shiver more in could weather, somewhat increasing calarie burning, which makes you hungrier...

Add temperature effects as well. You sweat more in hot weather or when wearing heavy clothing, increasing dehydration, and you shiver more in could weather, somewhat increasing calarie burning, which makes you hungrier...

Yep definitely. I believe temperature is going to play a fairly large role in survival shortly, along with the weather changes. I'm sure I read that somewhere.