Demoth

1st person only or 3rd person?

After duscussions with some friends, i thought I'd start a little discussion here about 3rd person perspective that isn't whining for it or against it while also giving my personal input why I play generally in 3rd person.

I would love to play this in only 1st person. It requires a lot more skill to stalk someone and prevents would be prey from safe corner peeking.

Unfortunately, as the game is now, trying to stalk someone or creep up on someone shooting from range is impossible in only 1st person unless the shooter has no situational awareness.

Too often I've been shot at and I run behind a hill and go prone near bushes, tall grass and rocks. Now in 1st person my view is 100% obscured by grass. Unfortunately the person 200 meters away sees me perfectly because none of the grass anf the details in the bush / tree aren't properly rendered. I just like a giant green log with a head laying next to a rock and I get popped.

When I'm sniping at one of the air bases, I do feel a twinge of sadness when I blow someone's face off as theyre crawling, trying to get a vantage point to scope out that the base is safe. It's saddening because I know where they are and what their terrain looks like on their map... they are perfectly concealed. From my spot I just see a dude that pops out even if he's the same color as the ground he's on, even if he's standing still.

I'm not outright complaining about the graphics detail of the game, as I know things will be fixed in time, but I personally cannot play on a 1st person server (hardcore) when all it does is put non sharpshooters at a crazy disadvantage.

• Like 2

I generally play only on the 1st person server's and likely will when the current experimental goes stable, 3PP is too exploitable in terms of being able to see thru walls etc and I personally prefer 1PP view.  I'm on 3PP for experimental because that's where all the people are and I want to see how the 64 player servers are when they are full.

• Like 1

Hi.

I'm not trying to be the instigator or anything, but I'm not sure how anything you just said about seeing people in cover on 1PP changes on a 3PP server. Only difference is people behind hard cover can't see over/around it in 1PP like the 3PP exploit.

Regards.

Edited by Romeo Foxtrot
  • Like 4

I play FFP only but you are right about the grass rendering.

Grass rendering is a problem in both perspectives unfortunately

But in FPP you are at a slight disadvantage because you cant see and to you it looks like your in cover,

but to the person 200m away can't see that grass that covers you.

Bottom line, Dont use grass as cover!

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

When will people stop calling it 3PP and use it's proper term; lamecore. Lamecore and hardcore, those are the two ways to play this game.. :D

On a more serious note..

Bottom line, Dont use grass as cover!

..anyone who has played the mod will know this only too well! Close up the grass might look like it has some sort of protection, from a distance it was just not rendered at all leaving you looking like you were just lying down on a green carpet.

Edited by ricp
  • Like 1

Hi.

I'm not trying to be the instigator or anything, but I'm not sure how anything you just said about seeing people in cover on 1PP changes on a 3PP server. Only difference is people behind hard cover can't see over/around it in 1PP like the 3PP exploit.

Regards.

this but add to it he starts by saying no whining but then proceeds to whine about 1pp and about as you say a problem thats shared in both . oh wow brilliant thread...

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

Once again it's very simple.  If you want everyone to only play in first person view, play hardcore servers.  If you don't mind someone possibly waiting around the corner looking at you while you can't see him, play normal.

/discussion

• Like 5

I would love to play this in only 1st person. It requires a lot more skill to stalk someone and prevents would be prey from safe corner peeking.

So play in a Hardcore server.  That's what they are.  First person view only.  Holy shit we definitely needed another thread about this.

• Like 3

After duscussions with some friends, i thought I'd start a little discussion here about 3rd person perspective that isn't whining for it or against it while also giving my personal input why I play generally in 3rd person.

Not again...  <_<

As you said...skill - a lot don't have it. I got bashed when i mentioned that word in the former ArmA league ages ago...

Unfortunately, as the game is now, trying to stalk someone or creep up on someone shooting from range is impossible in only 1st person unless the shooter has no situational awareness.

Either i understood it wrong or you didn't write it correct...you can pretty much stalk someone in 3rd P if the guy doesn't look around, stalking a player needs some skill in 1st P since he can see you when you have line of sight unless the player is blind...which a lot are.

Too often I've been shot at and I run behind a hill and go prone near bushes, tall grass and rocks. Now in 1st person my view is 100% obscured by grass. Unfortunately the person 200 meters away sees me perfectly because none of the grass anf the details in the bush / tree aren't properly rendered. I just like a giant green log with a head laying next to a rock and I get popped.

Grass works both ways...if both go prone both can't see. I once had that situation where a player and me proned not more than 10m from eachother and i took the risk of standing up to see where he flattened the grass and took the shot the moment i saw his beret...he saw me, too but too btw. but i acted faster.

When I'm sniping at one of the air bases, I do feel a twinge of sadness when I blow someone's face off as theyre crawling, trying to get a vantage point to scope out that the base is safe. It's saddening because I know where they are and what their terrain looks like on their map... they are perfectly concealed. From my spot I just see a dude that pops out even if he's the same color as the ground he's on, even if he's standing still.

I'm not outright complaining about the graphics detail of the game, as I know things will be fixed in time, but I personally cannot play on a 1st person server (hardcore) when all it does is put non sharpshooters at a crazy disadvantage.

Playing too much on the setting can make the game look weird. If people would actually not lower the details they would see that players are actually concealed. If they are proning in grass and are still sticking out it's either wrong camo or the think they can hide a 80kg carcass in 2cm high grass.

1pp only for immersion sake. Ignore those whining about wanting to play 3pp. They are imo not the target audience.

Well I always play 1pp purely for immersion, I've never liked 3pp on any games I've played. However I've recently been playing mostly on regular servers just because there's a higher level of aggresion from other players and thats what I've been looking for. I've spent most of my time on Hardcore servers but have got fed up of either finding no other players (its often hard to find high population hardcore servers) or everything being a bit too freindly.

I actually consider the regular servers to be the hardcore ones just because the challenge to survive without being KOSd is that much greater!

Or you could just learn to take proper cover instead?

Just to be clear, like OP said, this is just finding out players personal preference, not debate about which is best and not a troll fest.

I play in 3rd person, because i want to see my char, and i kinda think, that DayZ is also (partly) made for this.

I dunno how they could do it. Maybe have the grass render much further whilst looking through a scope, but not at all times? That way performance wouldn't be hit too badly and the advantage would be removed.

Then again, you should know that to a sniper whilst you might think you're in cover, you're not.

I think that when you are prone in grass, you should either be able to push it down or it has a transparency to see through it so you can see what is in front of you. Going prone should be useful but instead just leaves you vulnerable...

Once again it's very simple.  If you want everyone to only play in first person view, play hardcore servers.  If you don't mind someone possibly waiting around the corner looking at you while you can't see him, play normal.

/discussion

exactly...

end thread/discusion indeed

• Like 1

I like seeing my character running in his gear etc, but as soon as I go inside cities etc first person camera is on.

But soon i will be going on fps only just waiting for the update on the vorpX so i can play DayZ with oculus.

I play in 3rd person, because i want to see my char, and i kinda think, that DayZ is also (partly) made for this.

Yes, I agree with this. I get why people think it's unrealistic to have eyes that hover 3 ft over your character, but it's also unrealistic on a 1p server to not be able to see where your body is in contrast to the enviroment. If they could split the difference and have the camera only pan back enough to give you a sense of peripheral vision that could be a good compromise.

You didn't happen to shoot me last night up by one of the airfields did ya? :p

You just described almost exactly what happened to me last night. :p

You didn't happen to shoot me last night up by one of the airfields did ya? :p

You just described almost exactly what happened to me last

/discussion

It isn't that simple at all. Some of us don't have the luxury of well populated hardcore servers. There are only ever 2 that show up on my search and they only ever have 4 or 5 players on them. What am I supposed to do then? I would much rather play on a hardcore server, but when it's a choice between a server with no one on it or a fully populated server, what choice is there really?

Simple solution, play both!

When i feel the need for deep, immersed survival, i stay on my selected hardcore servers. When i feel the need to dick around and relax, i move to my regular servers.

There isn't a damned viable reason to only play one style.

• Like 2

Yes 1PP is named hardcore but in my opinion it is easy mode. If you are a decent player you can go about days without being seen. Plus the majority of 1PP servers are 30 players max. I know since I have played a lot of 1PP and decided not to due to lack of choice servers in my timezones.

3PP is much more dangerous then 1PP. If you deny it, then please state your reasons. I want to have a good discussion.

Also it's funny for me because the ones vocal about 3PP[saying it's for noobs, kids, glitchers, wimps, etc] are actually the wimps themselves in my view[not everyone that plays 1PP just the ones that whine and bash]. Cause yeah 3PP is harder than 1PP.

Edited by CrazyandLazy

Yes 1PP is named hardcore but in my opinion it is easy mode. If you are a decent player you can go about days without being seen. Plus the majority of 1PP servers are 30 players max. I know since I have played a lot of 1PP and decided not to due to lack of choice servers in my timezones.

3PP is much more dangerous then 1PP. If you deny it, then please state your reasons. I want to have a good discussion.

Yeah, because cheating the system by looking over and around walls and shit isn't easy mode.  In first person view, you will at least run into genuine surprise scenarios.  You might not know someone is chilling in a certain area waiting for you to walk by, unlike in third person view.  

Only to people who are not geared up and camping. Of course to get geared up you just go to an empty server where you don't have to worry about someone using 3PP to camp an area. Then once you have your gear you go to a good location where you can see everything in 3PP but can't be easily seen in turn, camp, and shoot. 

Zombies are less dangerous in 3PP(although they are not all that dangerous in general right now) since you can see them around corners and they can't see you. Watching your footing is easier(try running the boards in the swamp in 1PP without looking down). Spotting loot is easier since you can simply run past some loot spawns and see it without glancing around. 

Now... wait until vehicles are in. 1PP in a vehicle makes it a LOT harder to maneuver.