alexeistukov

The Community's List of Suggested Weapons for Dayz Standalone (Version: 1.29)

I don't know about that, IMO Mosin, 10/22, 1911, Walther, AKM, AK74, AKS74U, SKS, CZ75, CZ527, IZH-43, MP133, SVD, and M4A1 are good or decent choices, and AWC Amphibian, Makarov PMM, Derringer, AK101, Blaser, FNX45, Python, Encore, PM-73, MP5K, AUG and Rossi are either questionable or poor choices. That is pretty close by my count.

Are you sure you don't have these lists mixed up a bit, the Makarov was standard issue in the CDF [albeit the one we have is in 380auto], the amphibian is a rather common pistol worldwide and the AK101 I'm on the fence about, I mean with the whole falling out with Russia maybe Chernarus switched from AK74s to the same system with ammo that murika could supply, I dunno. Also out of interest, why do you include the 1911 and M4 in the top list?

Why the hell should any gun be a "plus" and a "minus"? They can add as many as they fucking want.

That's not the way it works, otherwise we'd have a library of 2,000 guns and all of Europe would be faithfully modelled. They have to pay someone who has to work on it which takes time and it has to be installed on your PC which takes space. 5 shotguns? 10 shotguns? 25 shotguns? Doesn't matter since unless they're going for zany, SPAS-12 wouldn't make it onto any of those shortlists. Not only are there dozens of military shotguns but there are dozens of sporting shotguns. The ones everyone usually forgets about. Everyone knows "SPAS-12" and "Remington 870" and "M4 Super 90". How many of the same people think of "Beretta 390 Gold Sport" or "Franchi Affinity" or "Remington Versa Max"?

Are you sure you don't have these lists mixed up a bit, the Makarov was standard issue in the CDF [albeit the one we have is in 380auto], the amphibian is a rather common pistol worldwide and the AK101 I'm on the fence about, I mean with the whole falling out with Russia maybe Chernarus switched from AK74s to the same system with ammo that murika could supply, I dunno. Also out of interest, why do you include the 1911 and M4 in the top list?

Makarov model is actually a 9x18mm PMM, rare variant not used by Chernarus and not the .380 variant, you can tell because the slide is angular not rounded, and it should have a 12-round magazine but for some reason only carries 8 rounds, Amphibian is not common anywhere except in AWC's workshop (Ruger Mk II is common) not much reason to keep AK-101 esp. since the model is an AK-74M but I assume they will switch it to AK-74M... M4A1 and 1911 are okay although the first is CMMG and the second I'd prefer as "classic" style (seems to be the exact same 1911 from ARMA 3?), guns I don't like are either very rare, seems out of place or there were better choices. Not many better choices for "Western assault rifle" or ".45 handgun".

I wouldn't say the AUG or MP5K are inherently bad choices. There aren't a whole lot of bullpup ARs that really see major widespread use around Eastern Europe, it's fairly inconsistent, but among guns like the TAR-21, FN F2000, and Vepr, the AUG is not absent. Plus, seeing what they've discussed, there's a lot they want to do with the AUG, so there's definitely room for other rifles. Likewise, the moshpit that is called the MP5K isn't so much a poor choice, but rather that a full sized variant ala the MP5A2/A3 would have been a better choice. And they did give it the PDW stock, so it's much more believable.

The Makarov, Rak, and AK are perfectly fine for the scenario. It's the specific variants that make it odd - the 'AK-101' (not even an AK-101, just a renamed AK-74M), the PM-73 (again, model of a PM-63, renamed), and Makarov IJ-70-17F (Only gun of the three actually originally modeled to be as it is ingame.) And there's nothing to say that the Baikal Makarov is a bad choice, it's just that the PM would've obviously been the more realistic choice. I wouldn't lose sleep over things like this, but that's just me.

The Blaze, Derringer, and Rossi are somewhat unique in their own respects. Blaser guns aren't weapons you don't find in Eastern Europe. It's not like the B95 itself is somehow out of place, it's just that the rate at which it spawns is unrealistic for the real variant of the rifle it's supposed to represent. The RG17 and Rossi were clearly done because the devs wanted a lever-action rifle and derringer in the game. There aren't really any guns of those kinds in notable quantity to say those were poor choices compared to other weapons. Under assumed realism, both series of weapons would best be left absent, but in this case it's hard to compare.

And the FNX was done simply because it was a new resource at the time and no other pistols existed. Granted, I'm not sure why they didn't choose to add the Walther P99 or MP-443 instead, but that's probably for the same reason all of the other guns exist - the devs thought that they were cool and/or were unique enough in respects to gameplay to warrant them being added.

(Also, I don't know about you, but the PM-73 is extremely rare. I've only ever found mags for it, and across the board very few people have used it since it was released.)

I have a sneaking suspicion AUG was only added because New Zealand uses it. What's the backstory on this gun? PM-73 only existed in prototypes and doesn't make sense anyhow (real life? Not happening. Cold War alternate reality? Then why is it not PM-63 in 9x18mm? Did they order this after Soviet Union? Then why pick some outdated, unpopular, non-modular, strange design?) plus it's a PM-63 renamed (a picture of a PM-73, online? Such doesn't exist).

As for Rossi and derringer, you said it "assumed realism, both series of weapons would best be left absent". If they had to pick a lever-action, Rossi .357 is one of the best choices, I was trying to make a Rossi .357 way before standalone dropped. But doesn't change the fact it's not a great fit. Not good immersion to see a barefoot cowboy running through Novo with a lever-action and Colt Python. And since many of the "out of place" weapons are low on the totem pole they will be very common. 

But standalone clearly takes itself far less seriously than OFP/ARMA ever has... even considering Karts DLC. Probably unrealistic to expect exact fidelity. But I've had no atmospheric Eastern feels at all, map could be set just about anywhere and it wouldn't matter.

Anyways: SPAS-12. Why. Add all the other firearms that fit better (good luck) and then feel free to add the SPAS-12, everybody happy except the diehard fans of '80s action films.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

(seems to be the exact same 1911 from ARMA 3?)

They're similar, but not the same.

Arma 3's ACP-C2

ACP_C2.jpg

DayZ's "1911"

DayZ_SA_1911_Thumb.jpg

The most obvious difference is the cuts on the slide, and of course the texturing.

Granted they probably used the same source model and just modified it to create DayZ's (assuming it was made for ArmA 3 originally, which it likely was as it's been present since ArmA 3's own alpha. However, a lot of assets are shared between the teams so it's hard to know for sure)

Still, if they did end up doing that, they should probably add the MP-443 and Walther P99, because both are fairly realistic and the assets are already there, so why not?

As for Rossi and derringer, you said it "assumed realism, both series of weapons would best be left absent". If they had to pick a lever-action, Rossi .357 is one of the best choices, I was trying to make a Rossi .357 way before standalone dropped. But doesn't change the fact it's not a great fit. Not good immersion to see a barefoot cowboy running through Novo with a lever-action and Colt Python. And since many of the "out of place" weapons are low on the totem pole they will be very common. 

But standalone clearly takes itself far less seriously than OFP/ARMA ever has... even considering Karts DLC. Probably unrealistic to expect exact fidelity. But I've had no atmospheric Eastern feels at all, map could be set just about anywhere and it wouldn't matter.

Anyways: SPAS-12. Why. Add all the other firearms that fit better (good luck) and then feel free to add the SPAS-12, everybody happy except the diehard fans of '80s action films.

I agree with most of what you'd said. Were they not cool guns/interesting for gameplay, there's no incentive to have them at all.

However, at the end of the day we've got to remember that it's a video game, and very few games ever really do the job of realism perfectly. Even other prominent post-apocalyptic Eastern European games like STALKER or the Metro series are full of things that quite clearly should not be there, or at least not exist to the degree that they spawn.

Granted, yes, I understand the whole point of debating about it is so that eventually some game (in this case DayZ) will do it right, but it's something to think about. Just don't get hung up about it and all's well (not that you haven't, that statement sort of applies to everyone on all sides of the 'realism vs authenticity vs gameplay vs immersion vs whatever' argument.)

So a pocketknife? Yeah, that's a great addition.

• Like 1

Ideally they would put in two or three: Swiss Army knife, a folding hunter, and a tactical folder.

• Like 3

Ideally they would put in two or three: Swiss Army knife, a folding hunter, and a tactical folder.

Swiss army knife would be nice, it would double as a can opener. Though I don't know how well it would work for skinning something.

Swiss army knife would be nice, it would double as a can opener. Though I don't know how well it would work for skinning something.

I've used a broadhead off an arrow to skin and gut a goat before (forgot to pack a knife), anything sharp will do if you are patient. My father used to sharpen the end of the magazine spring in his .303 for just such a reason, it was always on him when he was hunting.

I've used a broadhead off an arrow to skin and gut a goat before (forgot to pack a knife), anything sharp will do if you are patient. My father used to sharpen the end of the magazine spring in his .303 for just such a reason, it was always on him when he was hunting.

I stand corrected lol. Though in game you already get penalized for having a low quality knife, or something that isn't normally used for skinning/cleaning an animal. So I suspect a swiss army knife would probably not give you nice 99% steaks.

Actually the SPAS 12 makes a decent choice when you consider the fact that it has been out of production for over 10 years and the dev team wouldn't need to secure permission to use a true to life model and it's correct name.

"But why not the Saiga 12/What does this gun do that the Saiga doesn't?"

Although both are semiautomatic shotguns, one is detachable magazine fed while the other is tube magazine fed. One gun can accept accessories easily while the other cannot, while having a collapsible stock. Add both.

5.45x39mm has been added.

Going to add a new section to the thread eventually and it will be marked Ammunition

Just something I'm surprised this game hasn't got in terms of melee weapons is the simple Metal Pipe, whether it be Iron, Steel, Lead or even the weaker copper and aluminum. Could be a useful material too in crafting with the right materials! Could come in different sizes too, from one handed to two handed even.

• Like 1

Just something I'm surprised this game hasn't got in terms of melee weapons is the simple Metal Pipe, whether it be Iron, Steel, Lead or even the weaker copper and aluminum. Could be a useful material too in crafting with the right materials! Could come in different sizes too, from one handed to two handed even.

I completely agree.

• Like 1

Still Hoping that the UZI Gets an Add to the List ^_^

140827111407-uzi-stock-file-story-top.jp

Uzi is a very well known gun and even has a mini variant so I don't see much limits in adding it. Not much work has been done to submachine guns but the uzi would be a good to add later on. I see the ppsh-41 or bizon SMG added first. If it is added it should be helicopter cash site exclusive(since it was originally designed in isrial). This community isn't like the cloth community. Clothing has fairness.

I think the street sweeper would and at one time you could own one as a CIV until the damn brady bill.

Love to see this good job on thinking.

Spas 12 is a good gun to add but we need a riot shotgun then assault. If the devs keep adding guns and weapons balance out the weapons with a bigger map or other stuff. BTW there's a spas 15 now if not sure if it replaced the spas 12 but I still like the ideas.

Edited by DaNic2553

Uzi is a very well known gun and even has a mini variant so I don't see much limits in adding it. Not much work has been done to submachine guns but the uzi would be a good to add later on. I see the ppsh-41 or bizon SMG added first. If it is added it should be helicopter cash site exclusive(since it was originally designed in isrial). This community isn't like the cloth community. Clothing has fairness.

What do you mean by fairness?

Are you saying the way weapons get added to the list is based off personal opinion?

You are dead wrong if you think that.

I have explained myself and this thread many times on other threads already. If I require to do it again then so be it.

About the Uzi, that will be a firearm I add close to last because it was not really suggested in the past.

I have a page full of forgotten/buried weapon suggestions written down (I got these by going back through the pages)

You want to know why this thread is not like the clothing thread?

Weapons and clothes are extremely different for one.

And two I create individual descriptions for each weapon I add to the list, explaining what they are, first manufacturer, history background, calibers, reasoning why they should be in the game, etc.

No I did not mean what I said to insult Evil Minion and his thread at all, I am actually happy to see other people take up the responsibility of organizing sections of the thread for the Devs.

God Bless

Edited by AlexeiStukov

Yeah... just gonna say that common criminal element weapons, like the Tec-9 and BSP would make far more sense than an Uzi.  Sure Uzi's are cool... but other guns make far more sense.  And the BSP gets extra points in my mind for being potentially craftable. 

Yeah... just gonna say that common criminal element weapons, like the Tec-9 and BSP would make far more sense than an Uzi. Sure Uzi's are cool... but other guns make far more sense. And the BSP gets extra points in my mind for being potentially craftable.

Tec-9 is unlikely.

Tec-9 is unlikely.

Other than the BSP it's the first gun that comes to mind for a common gang fully automatic weapon.  Still, regardless of anything else, that the BSP is an easy-to-make submachinegun present in the black market worldwide, it's still what I'm putting my suggestion behind said BSP for this sort of thing. 

Other than the BSP it's the first gun that comes to mind for a common gang fully automatic weapon.  Still, regardless of anything else, that the BSP is an easy-to-make submachinegun present in the black market worldwide, it's still what I'm putting my suggestion behind said BSP for this sort of thing. 

It's the first gun that may come to your mind, but that doesn't at all mean it makes sense.

Uzis are used (or have been used) in over 70 countries, including Croatia, Estonia, Poland, Romania, and Turkey, and over 10 million have been produced since 1950, for over 64 years.

The TEC-9 was only produced from 1985 to 2001 (with about 250,000 made), never used by a single military or police organization, and not to mention many of them were destroyed in places like California and New York where they were banned by name and it was illegal to have one at all. There are still a good number of them around, but almost all of them are in the US and Mexico, so the only people outside of North America who'd own one would be collectors.

The BSP is somewhat realistic, but the problem is, it's an improvised SMG, so there's no consistency in how they're available and there are many differences among variants. There's also the question of whether they'd spawn or be built... in which case you'd need plenty of tools or have to explain why there are so many improvised SMGs around.

The Uzi is definitely the most realistic of them, and it's probably one of the most realistic 9x19mm SMGs they can add at all (if not the most realistic) Not saying I don't want either the TEC-9 or BSP, just stating that clearly the Uzi is more realistic.

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 1

You would be DEAD wrong on that about the MOD little sport. Now run along and find a game that is easy enough for you.

Oh wake up. The game is as easy as it gets. All you have to do is go to the less populated areas and loot to survive. Outside of the coast, there is little chance of meeting a fellow survivor. Sniper rifles were a huge threat to you but now there is very little threat.

What do you mean by fairness?

Are you saying the way weapons get added to the list is based off personal opinion?

You are dead wrong if you think that.

I have explained myself and this thread many times on other threads already. If I require to do it again then so be it.

About the Uzi, that will be a firearm I add close to last because it was not really suggested in the past.

I have a page full of forgotten/buried weapon suggestions written down (I got these by going back through the pages)

You want to know why this thread is not like the clothing thread?

Weapons and clothes are extremely different for one.

And two I create individual descriptions for each weapon I add to the list, explaining what they are, first manufacturer, history background, calibers, reasoning why they should be in the game, etc.

No I did not mean what I said to insult Evil Minion and his thread at all, I am actually happy to see other people take up the responsibility of organizing sections of the thread for the Devs.

God Bless

Sure..... The more stuff the better the more balanced the even better. This is a zombie survival simulater more stuff makes it closer to an almost exact replica of what might happen in an apocolypse.

BTW let me make a suggestion for a weapon an elephant gun(its not all about elephants its basicly a gun with a very large caliber).

Edited by DaNic2553

Sure..... The more stuff the better the more balanced the even better. This is a zombie survival simulater more stuff makes it closer to an almost exact replica of what might happen in an apocolypse.

BTW let me make a suggestion for a weapon an elephant gun(its not all about elephants its basicly a gun with a very large caliber).

Why did you delete the last part of your comment?

" BTW don't get mad if people like the idea and you dont. Poor evil minion."

You seriously want me to explain myself again?

Give me a few mins or so and I will.

I am sick of this shit.