joe_mcentire

What are your biggest concerns and fears regarding the near/far future of the game?

Lack of the beloved weapons of the Arma 2 Dayz Mod. Being the gun lover I am...I would be disappointed if long range weapons such as the M24 and M40 did not make the cut. 

As a few others have pointed out, BI caving in to the "we must make this game popular so we need to dumb it down for the masses".  Also, the mods that make the game into easy mode by starting everyone out with full gear.

• Like 1

I fear that the zombies will never be the real threat. I want something that will force strangers to work together. Something to discourage carelessly firing a shot in a city. I fear we will never see hordes of zombies.

I fear that the finished game will be just like the mod.

I actually have the opposite fear, that it will be nothing like the mod. Crafted weapons is an interesting addition, but it only makes sense for melee weapons. The idea that someone is going to craft a bow and arrow that does more than launch a stick randomly or just flat out break is far, far less realistic or authentic than the idea of finding a crate of M16s in Russia.

Controls/Movement will always be a clunky experience, ArmA/DayZ are the only games I've played where it feels like I have to wait for an animation to play every time I do an action.

Yes, the game is more at the speed of 'Saving Private Ryan' than the speed of 'Riddick' - its kinda clunky, slow, and horribly realistic. So you're never gonna be looking at your map and a player comes up behind you, and you see his shadow you whip round and throw your knife through his neck - I agree. But in real-world, if you do say, mountain climbing, or low temperature stuff, or sea diving (to name 3 'similar') then it's a base rule to never put yourself in a situation where you need quick reactions; You think ahead and decide before you move. If you need quick reactions you're already somewhere you really shouldn't be. Those activities are stressing, very tiring, and that's why people do them, I guess military combat is worse, (and for street gunfighting you got to be a crazy, right?)

DayZ is kind of the same. There IS a BIG place in it for fast reactions for sure, but a lot of it is about awkwardness, slowness, difficulty.. A 16 year-old shooter meets me coming round a corner, I'm dead, usually., he's faster than me. but the same player cant get from Cherno to Berezino without a car? and I made a mistake already to go round that corner.

This is just to say that clunky is maybe good, and not to be regretted - It gives you more stress. Like in the real world trying to get a mag in your gun while rounds are already going past your head. It takes a LONG time, you shouldn't BE there, it's a BAD feeling. Hehe. Love it (hate it) love it;

This said -  OP joe_mcentire is right:  hope the Zeds do what they SHOULD, hope the servers can stand it. At pres. I'm playing for old times sake and to see how the new game feels as it comes up.. but we NEED the zeds to get the streetfighters to pay attention to surviving a little bit. I think they'll enjoy that in the long run. This is a Z Survival game (the best) right?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

I just want the SA to stick to the same principles as the mod. Anything that doesn't infringe on that is a bonus.

i'd have to say its 2-fold..

first is the game never reachs "feature-complete" status, due to excesively long dev. time. im not sure i trust Deans ability to ship a timely product.

secondly is the overall community at that point... seems to me as the game goes forth it will never recover from the lowest common denominator of simple DM-fest that utilizes maybe 3% of the game world/mechanics in it.

but in the end it wont matter, there are enuf new games of this type coming down the pipe now..what once was a unigue idea is now well known and being built many different ways to the same end.

Definately ZOMBIES.

I fear they will never be the main threat, Dean maybe has to change the name of his game to DayA (Apocalypse). I honestly dont see them ever being the main threat, and that in my eyes is a huge problem. I feel bad for the players buying this game thinking its about zombies.

!!!

That the game turns into Epoch and strays from being a survival game, where everyone is running around with PKMs (but but but they are slav weapons so it makes sense!!! :''c), hi powered anti material rifles, and military humvees mounted with miniguns.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 2

• zeds will never be the way i personally always imagined them to be or we will never see them in their full potential.

This is probably the biggest concern of mine because I personally believe it to be true.

EDIT: Also, the devs are raving waaaaaaaaay too hard about cooking. I mean really...Cooking shouldn't be some huge main showcasing feature to flaunt in a game like this..

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 2

My biggest fear is that they will cut corners in order to speed up development. There are a lot of things that need to be completely reworked like i.e. the inventory system, animations, buildings, you know, all the problems inherited from arma 2.5

Last but not least, the Z.

At the moment they are underwhelming.

This has innumerable disadvantages to gameplay and balance testing of what should imo be the core of this game.

In order to preserve the classic Z feel, their strength has to come from sheer numbers. I think the individual Z is powerful enough as it is, it just needs a few more abilities like break walls / windows / doors instead of simply walking to the front door. imo Z should not be that smart. Making Z smarter to amp up their threat level feels like cutting corners to me.

• Like 1

All of the whiny, tree-hugging "anti bandit" kids will be pandered to to an intolerable level

• Like 1

That for all the talk of vehicles, radios, hunting, bases, hoards of zombies and all sorts of cool environment interactions, by the time the game reaches anything like a "feature complete" state, servers will have like 2 players each.  Basically a handful of people who wanted to check out this game they either heard about or played years ago that got all this hype, but then fell off the radar.

• Like 1

Everyone will turn to KOS in order to survive, oh, and big clans will hog all the firearms, leaving us small group players with nothing...

zombies SHOULD be number one priority. But with all this talk about "extensive" features in the game i cant help but think we might not see any real update for quite some time if any. It definitely has me worried considering cooking should be at the bottom of the list right now.

My biggest fear that is the zombies and environment remain unchallenging.

Yeah but you have to think, how are you going to make zombies challenging throw them guns? If you do make them stronger then they will take more of your scarce ammo (unless youre using an M4) and it will basically be stay in a group and try go through a town or avoid them completely while playing solo. If they do more damage then it will be much harder coming off the beach (which wouldnt be all that bad) and if you make large hordes of zombies then good luck killing them with a weapon that isnt an assault rifle. Just some thoughts that i was thinking.

zombies SHOULD be number one priority. But with all this talk about "extensive" features in the game i cant help but think we might not see any real update for quite some time if any. It definitely has me worried considering cooking should be at the bottom of the list right now.

Cooking at the bottom of the list?

No way!

Cooking and camping is very important in ANY survival game.

I feel C & C is more important that the zed's at this time due to the fact that they are going to take awhile to get them where the Dev's think they can be with the Arma Engine.

If zed's were the #1 priority and nothing else, then we would still be where we were in Dec. IMO...and we have gone along way in those 2 months.

...again it's ONLY been 2 months!

My biggest fear?

Well, it's that all the bitching and bullshit in these forums will bury all the amazing ideas that need to be noticed by the dev team.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

Cooking at the bottom of the list?

No way!

Cooking and camping is very important in ANY survival game.

I feel C & C is more important that the zed's at this time due to the fact that they are going to take awhile to get them where the Dev's think they can be with the Arma Engine.

If zed's were the #1 priority and nothing else, then we would still be where we were in Dec. IMO...and we have gone along way in those 2 months.

...again it's ONLY been 2 months!

My biggest fear?

Well, it's that all the bitching and bullshit in these forums will bury all the amazing ideas that need to be noticed by the dev team.

But this is not just a survival game and again these should be at the bottom until they have things under  there belt with the AI and behavior of the main antagonist besides players. Yes all the other ideas are wonderful but i didnt buy the game for solely cooking, camping and hunting and i know ALLOT of ppl who didnt as well. Also to contradict what your saying if it was there number one priority it would be out of the way so they can focuse on the things you want more period. All they would have to do latter is touch up on some crap latter on down the line if they have to. Amazing ideas are awesome but players want zombies not a sim city simulation.

Edited by Deathlove

Cooking?  I saw Rocket on Youtube recently.  He had joined a streamer named Sacriel who uses military tactics to hunt others.

Well, after all, he needed that team to protect him.

The talked about quite a bit about food.  Apparently Rocket has intestinal problems.

Think they were talking about some sort of chicken dish I think, and how it is cooked.

Despite it's application to the game, it was nothing of interest to me.

Seemed oddly off-target.

Appears to me that Rocket is pleased with the games progress.

The game will unfold in his "vision."

No doubt some won't agree with that "vision."

Seems to me those wanting to form teams/clans are the main audience for the game.

Really, Rocket is a "team' person.

I'm afraid it's not for the "casual" player and many will be disappointed.

Some "loners" will tough it out, of course.

But the game probably won't attract and keep many of them.

It's basically a PvP game.  Not at all a "survivor/PvE" game.

When private servers are allowed, people will role play.

A team can do it now, play good guy/bad guy, king of the hill, hold the fort. 

But this is not just a survival game and again these should be at the bottom until they have things under  there belt with the AI and behavior of the main antagonist besides players. Yes all the other ideas are wonderful but i didnt buy the game for solely cooking, camping and hunting and i know ALLOT of ppl who didnt as well. Also to contradict what your saying if it was there number one priority it would be out of the way so they can focuse on the things you want more period. All they would have to do latter is touch up on some crap latter on down the line if they have to. Amazing ideas are awesome but players want zombies not a sim city simulation.

Did you play the Mod?  It very much IS The Sims (not Sim City).  Even if there were no zombies or other players, you would need to constantly scavenge for food and drink and medical supplies to take care of your character's needs.  Theoretically, you also had to worry about heat and cold as well, but I think that was mostly broken.  With a weapon, hunting knife, matches, canteen and hatchet, you could survive off of wildlife and avoid players altogether if you so choose. 

The zombies are there to add an extra level of difficulty.  So now not only do you have to survive the elements, you have to survive the hoards of infected.

Throw in other players, and now you have either competition or cooperation for those scarce resources and defending against the undead.  And clans of heavily armed death squads with silenced military weapons and night vision have been part of the game since the beginning.  Learn how to hide.  Or get better at making friends. 

I don't know if Rocket specifically wants "clans", but I'm pretty sure he wants to add incentives for players to trade and cooperate. 

My other big fear is that the game will be overrun with people who just don't get the game. 

As a few others have pointed out, BI caving in to the "we must make this game popular so we need to dumb it down for the masses".  Also, the mods that make the game into easy mode by starting everyone out with full gear.

if they did it to battlefield, it can be done to anyone

Private Hives are gonna be horrendous. DON'T MAKE PRIVATE HIVES DEAN.

Also, the melee.