knar33

How I have stayed alive for 6 weeks on a single character

I also play similar to this however I play the full pop servers to have more fun and raise the chance of running into people. However I would like to point out that the people who are saying it does not count because it is a half pop server are stupid.. You are obviously playing the game for more then the easy kos play style which means playing a full pop server would be breaking the "realism" feeling you want. Let me explain to the easy kos play style people here what I mean.. on a full server you will have people sitting on ass just to get a kill while camping. They will not loot the body they will just shoot and then wait for another person.. thus breaking the realism and making it more a deathmatch game. Now if you read my sig you will understand I think the game has done a rubbish job at making a "simulation of a apocalypse" however some people who want to play the game as it should be and that means they try and make the best of it and interact with others. So it is smarter to play a half pop server to have more natural encounters but still have the chance of someone being a true bandit near by. (By true bandit I mean a player who will hold up and or kill on sight for a valued item and not for a pointless kill and or item that would not be worth the risk vs reward). Anyways to the OP keep playing like you are as it is more skilled, fun and a refreshing break from the plague of people who get bored and kos for the wrong reasons.

Dont like my view on the game or my view in my sig well meh.. play how you want but dont dress it up as something more then kos bs. A spade is always going to be a spade.  

Edited by Mopa

People say that man is the hardest game to hunt, and they may be correct, in some small ways. What those perpetuating this belief fail to consider, however, is that functionally, killing a man is no harder than killing any other animal. We can debate for days the ramifications of the act itself, the psychological trauma and other disorders associated with taking human life. But if we strip away all of that, and get right down to the pure mechanics of the kill, then we find that in today's modern age, killing a man is as easy as pulling a switch.

We don't need to worry about psychological ramifications, because this is a simulated environment, and we are (hopefully) detached enough from the experience that we will not forget that. Anyone, man, woman, or prepubescent squealing twelve year old is capable of killing in this game, especially when their victim is unaware. You can justify it, reason out why killing is the best course of action, but the fact remains that every time you take a life, you are playing the game on easy.

If you want a challenge, if you want to try out the hard part of this game, then take a page from Knar's book, and try helping people. I've kept tabs on the Trusted Medics since the first post way back in the Mod days. These people are the truly hardcore players, who stick their necks out for complete strangers, not because they are getting rewarded, but because they can. I've seen videos of the medics wading into fire-fights hopelessly out gunned to help people just because they asked nicely. In this game, the true measure of a man is not in how many he kills, anyone can pull a trigger, it's measured by how many times you don't make the easy choice. So ask yourself, how many times have you spared someone?

Poetry aside though, seriously, playing KoS is like putting training wheels back on your game. To everyone saying Knar is playing the game wrong, go back to the first post and read it a bit more carefully. And to Knar, I apologize, I seem to have fanboy'd on your thread, but to you and all the Medics, keep up the good work.

No, trying to kill someone who is as good or better than you at the game is harder than running into combat hoping that you make it to some random dude and bandaging him.

Edited by Grimey Rick

Welcome to the DayZ forums; where the game's story is your own, (unless it's different from mine, then it's wrong).

Keep doing what you're doing OP. if you enjoy it, then more power to you.

For the rest of you, if you enjoy KoSing or Banditry, then also more power to you.

So long as we're all enjoying the same game.

All the play styles in this game need the others to exist. Otherwise this is just Arma death match with zombies in the way.

Edited by o5pr3y

pretty sure I read about this in the art of war, OP is expert at fighting the enemy where he isn't.

No, trying to kill someone who is as good or better than you at the game is harder than running into combat hoping that you make it to some random dude and bandaging him.

Thank you for the incredibly detailed and thought provoking response.

Yea you are very right. Seeing people and then shooting them without them even noticing you is really hard. People who play a style that involves more work / risk are far less skilled. Its not like the OP explained he fights bandits here and there which involves tracking, interaction to see if the person is a baddie thus losing the element of surprise and the risk of being back stabbed by people and far more. 

Edited by Mopa

Yea you are very right. Seeing people and then shooting them without them even noticing you is really hard. People who play a style that involves more work / risk are far less skilled. Its not like the OP explained he fights bandits here and there which involves tracking, interaction to see if the person is a baddie thus losing the element of surprise and the risk of being back stabbed by people and far more. 

I'm talking about organized firefights, not ganking people. They're easily organized and fun as hell.

Usually you can tell a bandit by the way they speak (but some sound deceivingly friendly).

I'm curious, how would you react to monotone

Risk != skill. It's not like you can get shot at and win a fight, if they're within proximity they can instantly kill you. It's a gamble. Regardless I'd say it's more skillful to kill for gear than to go inland and find gear away from most of the population.

Edited by Altimor

I stopped right there. If you're not on a maxed out server it doesn't count. Anyone can survive in a medium to low populated server.

agreed, however if any of the nubs would either take the tips from the OP or use bloody common sense the forums wouldnt be laced with KOS complaining threads.

There's only one solution - extreme hardcore mode. You get one life. When you die the game uninstalls and you can never play it again. There's your "realism". 

i think this applies to lots of those who have commented:

ed6012d9a3d83b4144b73471bdafc1944c7479ad

if you find it easy to survive this post obviously isnt for you, this is to help beginners, like a basic survival guide(maybe? i might be wrong) but by reading it, he just lists his playstyle which, i gotta say, if i am in a irl zombie apocalypse, which this game is trying to emulate, i would stay away from people unless desperate

• Like 1

Says the person who admitted on this forum to being a shameless server hopper.  :lol:  :rolleyes:

So true.

But if you need gear, if your favorite server had 39/40 people on it, would you go there, or find another server with low pop so you can find gear? the low pop, right? So hows that different than server hopping?

So true.

But if you need gear, if your favorite server had 39/40 people on it, would you go there, or find another server with low pop so you can find gear? the low pop, right? So hows that different than server hopping?

It depends, sometimes I like go to on full servers just to add an extra layer of tension.

So true.

its more tedious. u need to find food an so on.

but u gots to enjoy the great graphics! so beautiful! 

It depends, sometimes I like go to on full servers just to add an extra layer of tension.

So do I.

Actually, I haven't server hopped in about 7 characters, to be honest. I know where to find the m4(thats easy) and now the mosin is even easier, so there hasnt been a need to SH.  But theres nothing better than dying and running to the airfields- I LOVE to do that because its so tense- Im out to maim, kill and poop on corpses- armed with an axe or a handgun, climbing those stairs while you hear someone- oh man, thats fun! But if need be, I would shamelessly SH to get weapons. Its the way I play. I learned long ago that being friendly gets you killed, so now I need a gun to play the game. Either I shoot first, or they do- there's little room for chit chat. And I have zero desire to lone wolf it in the far reaches west of the map just to tell people in the forum Ive been alive for 6 weeks or something. I die a lot- but thats from extremely risky battles, gun fights and in a group of 5+ people up to no good in the hood.

Sat I died in Cherno. In less than 40 mins, I was nearly fully geared without SH'ing and at healthy. Golf clap? Golf clap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP6v4T3VT7I

Edited by DirtyscumbagLith

I must be missing something because even if you avoided all glitch deaths you still would have gotten hit by a character wipe...

I don't think I've been wiped ever. 

Three-four weeks ago, Hive went down and I couldn't load my character. As soon as the Hive was up, I logged in and recovered my old character. I imagine, that if you join a server and think you're wiped, it's mostly because the server isn't retrieving information from the Hive or because you've joined a hardcore server. 

Never been wiped.

The times I found myself on the beach without my gear, changing to a server that followed the naming standards always fixed it.

Edited by Dallas

if need be, I would shamelessly SH to get weapons

You're screwed now, you'll be waiting absolutely ages with the system currently in trial on experimental and due on stable in mid-week. You might as well quit now and go play an ego shooter. ^_^  :lol:

You're screwed now, you'll be waiting absolutely ages with the system currently in trial on experimental and due on stable in mid-week. You might as well quit now and go play an ego shooter. ^_^  :lol:

you douche. I havent SH'ed in 7 characters. thanks for reading my post.

im not worried about this at all. i got fully geared in about 40 mins last night WITHOUT SH'ing. the people who complain about no loot are the ones who dont know how to play this game.

dont worry, ill find you one day hiding in a town way to the west, and snipe you.

Edited by DirtyscumbagLith

dont worry, ill find you one day hiding in a town way to the west, and snipe you.

I'm shaking in my boots.  :lol:

I'm talking about organized firefights, not ganking people. They're easily organized and fun as hell.

That makes sense. Tbh though trying to say whats more skillful from two things that are so different is just pointless. Its like trying to say what takes more skill, baseball or tennis. The only thing that can be judged is if something is easily seen as easy like seeing a fresh spawn kill a zombie but they are bleeding so you bandage them.. (easy). Just like sitting 400m away with a moasin and hitting some random in the head without them even knowing it was coming (easy). 

True, fire fights are obv skill / RNG with lag and desync haha.

Edited by Mopa

i think this applies to lots of those who have commented:

ed6012d9a3d83b4144b73471bdafc1944c7479ad

if you find it easy to survive this post obviously isnt for you, this is to help beginners, like a basic survival guide(maybe? i might be wrong) but by reading it, he just lists his playstyle which, i gotta say, if i am in a irl zombie apocalypse, which this game is trying to emulate, i would stay away from people unless desperate

Sorry for the double post but this really does sum it up. The game is not a good simulation. Its fun but really has no risk vs reward in terms of life or death which means it is TAA DAA just a game with small survival concepts.. 

Nice, mines been alive for a few weeks following pretty much same rules....except I trust stairs lol

Iv stuck to one server since the start of alpha and haven't had 1 wipe ;)

Lol so many liars in these forum's everyone's character has been wipe at least one time.

Oh and it really easy to stay alive if you play in a boring way.

Lol so many liars in these forum's everyone's character has been wipe at least one time.

Oh and it really easy to stay alive if you play in a boring way.

A wipe does not count as a death. He did not die IN game.

Second sentence is not even worth a real response. 

your character must have been deleted in a update, 6 weeks is impossible with the updates 

You don't get wiped with every update, it normally due to the server maintaining its connection to the hive or something. By having a list of trusted servers, or like me just stick to one, then you can almost completely avoid ever having your toon wiped.