Sign in to follow this  
TheDoctor20

Kill on sight reasoning

The whole kill on sight thing would stop if people tried talking first more often... I was killed last night from behind with no gun out, and while unconcious istarted screaming friendly friendly, he tried to bandage me but it was too late i glitched into a wall... He kept repeating sorry, but the reason this guy did this was because he thouoght i was going to do it to him. Which i wasn't because the game is not as fun just killing everything, or camping and killing everyone.... So as a whole lets try to talk before shooting, and ya a few little kids will break this, but a majority will start to follow.

• Like 1

I killed two people before to stop them realising their friend had fell off the firestation in Elektro. I mean why risk two people freaking out about their dead friend when I'm wearing all of his gear when I can just shoot them where they stood? haha 

• Like 4

LoL Victus...

Well the lack of "WILL" to use a microphone to communicate is just too strong for most people the other 99%'s way to communicate is via 800rpm i guess.

• Like 2

Don't bother man.

Without a real humanity system, the kids will KOS, and we're forced to KOS in return.

If you want a real humanity system that would work, check my signature.

LoL Victus...

Well the lack of "WILL" to use a microphone to communicate is just too strong for most people the other 99%'s way to communicate is via 800rpm i guess.

It was such a surreal moment, we'd not long been chatting, were one of them had a Guitar playing as he sat on top of the Firestation. I shot him as he was running towards me playing it over direct. It was very surreal to hear the silence. Dayz eh what a game.

If a game gives a player the ability to be an asshole, expect many to use that ability to the fullest.

• Like 6

Best way to stop KOS, is to not stand still in an open field.

• Like 3

There is nothing else in the game that you can do at the moment, due to its alpha state.

As soon as there is crafting, base-building and stuff... KoS will be less of a problem.

PvP will always be part of the game but there will be ways to play PvE-styled without getting bored. 

Edited by YassirX

Sometimes even trying to be Friendly... gets you shot.  :(

Can never let your guard down.
I've seen people running across the open Air Field alone with a gun.. Yell Friendly & Wave.. Jerks open fire with NO COVER.  WHY!?  At least fake it until you can find some cover.

I am more open to being Friendly when i have the upper hand.
Most people just fire first ask questions later.  Animation in the game is clunky as heck as well which doesn't help.

"put the gun away! & i won't shoot."  Press 1.... nothing... Press 1... nothing... Press 1.. gun gets put away.
"TURN AROUND SLOWLY WITH YOUR HANDS UP!"
Turn around... *Pull gun out animation starts*
*FIRE* /Dead. " I SAID PUT THE GUN AWAY ARE YOU STUPID!?"
Damn game and it's clunky slow animations..
^ that has happened twice to me so far. :(

• Like 1

It's easier for me just to put one between your eyes than to talk to you, since generally speaking other people are pretty much useless since Zed's are in no shape a threat. 

> mfw I see these threads too.

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg

• Like 2

There are hundreds of games out there that are made just for players to shoot players. Most of them have no tool what so ever for any of the players to talk and interact in any other way. (except using third party software to talk to someone playing with you) DAYZ wasn't made for the only purpose of killing players. There is an almost infinite possibilities to interact with other players. Which is great, because not everyone has the same tastes or like the same things. I often read things like "killing players is the only really reason to play the game". If you like killing players, then it's your own reason to like playing the game and having fun. But if you say it's the only reason to it's pretty much because you are simple minded and can't think much honestly.

There needs to be players that like killing others, but DAYZ is so much more. Since the mod, many players have come up with ideas and ways to play the game. It shaped many mods, maps, and variations of the original mod. With the Stand Alone, we are giving tools that are different from the mod. I love bandits who take hostage players, steal what they can from them, and then make those players die in interesting ways. (falling to their death from a crane, fist fighting zombies one after the other till he dies, eating rotting food, and many more...) I don't play that way, but it makes the game interesting.

Some like to just run around and make friends with everyone possible. That's ok too if they enjoy that and have fun.

I like to test out how players would react. I try to help out as much as I can and give tips to new players, and often hunt down bandits. To each is own.

I understand the "kill on sight" phenomenon. It can happen for many reason. Feeling threatened by someone, falls identification of the bandit you were hunting, getting surprised by a player who comes into the same room as you without knowing first that you were there. It's a possibility and it has it's place in the game. It shouldn't be only that though, since there's so much more to it even in it's early alpha stage.

Anyway, in the end, we should just show a little more respect and be open minded. To each his own.

Remember, it's only a game. A means of entertainment. When it stops being fun, it means you should stop playing because the sole purpose of this creation has failed.

• Like 2

It's easier for me just to put one between your eyes than to talk to you, since generally speaking other people are pretty much useless since Zed's are in no shape a threat. 

> mfw I see these threads too.

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg

This. Exactly this.

Why do I need/want to talk to other people in a game where I can do everything myself? The more I have played, the more I've thought about this. If I want human interaction for the sake of human interaction, I'd go do something that's actually social. Not play a video game.

The game is basically Counter-Strike in its current form. If it weren't for other players, we wouldn't even need guns. I'd be happy running around with an axe.

There is nothing else in the game that you can do at the moment, due to its alpha state.

As soon as there is crafting, base-building and stuff... KoS will be less of a problem.

PvP will always be part of the game but there will be ways to play PvE-styled without getting bored. 

Wrong. You really think when you'll be able to "craft" or build your base the "KoS" will stop? :D  You'll just shoot anyone who comes near your base....

Killing other players is either because you can't think of other ways to play a game that gives you other possibilities, or it's just because it's the only think you like to do in video games. Let's just be honest here.

"due to its alpha state"  - The main purpose of the build right now is to test it's features and help out shape the game. I tested hundreds of games for the past 15 years, closed and open, and since "Minecraft" came to be, the vision of an alpha and a full game has been blurred sadly...

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 2

Don't bother man.

Without a real humanity system, the kids will KOS, and we're forced to KOS in return.

I love how you guys call KoS people kids :rolleyes:

If a game gives a player the ability to be an asshole, expect many to use that ability to the fullest.

This.

This. Exactly this.

Why do I need/want to talk to other people in a game where I can do everything myself? The more I have played, the more I've thought about this. If I want human interaction for the sake of human interaction, I'd go do something that's actually social. Not play a video game.

The game is basically Counter-Strike in its current form. If it weren't for other players, we wouldn't even need guns. I'd be happy running around with an axe.

You're playing Dayz wrong, sir.

• Like 1

Don't bother man.

Hurr durr humanity system deeerrrr huuuuurrrrp. A Humanity system is stupid. I KoS when I get a feeling something fishy is going to happen so I stalk a bit then use my judgement and either wait until he's out of my area or take the shot. I'm doing what I believe it takes for me to survive or anyone else I'm with. This is the sorta of game that is a better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

For the most part if I am armed and I run into another player and he shoots me on sight, I can't really blame him considering I am a threat and typically it's better safe than sorry. it's the ones that pretend to be friendly then punch you in the back of the head that bother me :P

I try to announce myself when I enter a high traffic area and if nobody responds I assume you are hostile. So far I've run into 20+ people and only two were obviously hostile. Rest managed to meet, greet, trade, and go on our way without committing aggressive actions against each other.

• Like 2

You're playing Dayz wrong, sir.

Says you. Am I having fun when I decide to bandage someone? Yup. Am I having fun when I decide to hold someone up? Yup. Am I having fun when I decide to KOS someone? Yup.

If I'm playing it wrong now then I don't want to play it right. It'd be a mindfuck that would make my head explode.

• Like 2

Dear diary. we joined a hardcore server today.

At first we meet another equaly naked folk and took him aboard after we told him about the raincoats. Intruiged, he followed us.

On our way to the 3rd mountain backpack, that we wanted to present to him as a token of our trust ( orange ofc ) , we ran into a shitaton of zombies and some armed folks that tried to save us off the bat. I forgave em the little shrapnell wound, wich ofc iam sure was a mistake and they patched us up. They dident wanted to hear about raincoats much. We wiggeld a silent goodby.

We finaly arrived at the promised pack and i explained the outlinings of the raincoats a bit to our new friend. We all got a good laugh out of it.

We meet another founding father of our cult and tensions grew a bit. ( he has a unhealthy addiction to handcuffs. Its forgiven tho, giving his age. ) But our new prospect kept tagging along.

Shortly after we saw a freshy dressed in black and as i turn, a man in a ORANGE raincoat, an axe and a shotgun  stood there silently . We offered trade and prayers. He oblidged and moved closer....he droped the raincoat. I drop a hoddy. we inch closer...

AND THE MOTHERFUCKER AXED FUCKING EVERYONE RIGHT THERE !!! all 5 of us :D

( my friend spawned close and ran back only finding another freshy in a pile of bodys exclaiming "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPEND HERE!!!  )

brilliant...only in DayZ ...no KOS involved.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 2

I understand some of the reasoning behind KOS....

I suck at this game big time, and I play on a slow computer... and I'm a whiner and probably also playing it wrong.

But i've been killed so many times when I didn't have half decent gear it's just silly.

Why do you kill someone who is obviously cooperating and following your orders... last death I was told to go prone and I did... he pulls out his gun and puts bullets in my head... no challenge... just... ... what?
Why? What is the reasoning? We both spoke understandable english over direct comm... he told me to get down which I did... but still he decides that a couple of 0.45 bullets to the head is the way to go... 

He did ruin the night for me... Is that it? "Hehe... I ruined the night for a Bambi... "
It's beyond me... But then again, I am old... 

• Like 2

I assume I will be KOS every time I play, and I keep my gun out, I stay out of sight when ever possible. I spend a good 30-60 seconds observing towns before entering, particularly checking for already opened doors (clear giveaway of someone having been there).  Never (if it can be helped) run across an open field, particularly if it's near an air field or military base. Sounds obvious but I'm amazed at what I see players do. I haven't personally killed anyone on sight, prefering to stay out of sight and let them pass, or in some cases chat before parting ways. I'm not against killing other players, but it's not the aspect I'm after in this game so I'll only be killing if it seems like the only option. So far I've been able to stay out of most other player's way. One other probably obvious tidbit but, when I get ready to log out for the night, I try to find some place out of town and well concealed before doing so.

I understand some of the reasoning behind KOS....

I suck at this game big time, and I play on a slow computer... and I'm a whiner and probably also playing it wrong.

But i've been killed so many times when I didn't have half decent gear it's just silly.

Why do you kill someone who is obviously cooperating and following your orders... last death I was told to go prone and I did... he pulls out his gun and puts bullets in my head... no challenge... just... ... what?

Why? What is the reasoning? We both spoke understandable english over direct comm... he told me to get down which I did... but still he decides that a couple of 0.45 bullets to the head is the way to go...

He did ruin the night for me... Is that it? "Hehe... I ruined the night for a Bambi... "

It's beyond me... But then again, I am old...

There are true bandits and then there are people who do this.

They feel powerful because they killed you, the ones who hold you up just to execute you it go after fresh spawns are the same guys camping the spawn points thinking they are true badass players

There's a reason these kind of players do this...... Because they suck and can't get kills any other way

And I've actually met 2 fully geared friendly players in the last few days, both times I approached them and managed not to shoot each other and lower our weapons and both times they were very grateful when my team covering me revealed themselves

You have to tell people your friendly but won't kill them if they put their weapon away or agree to disarm (if you sneak up in them this is)

They were both thankful and complied, one guy was actually starving even though he was geared up and was very happy he ran into us

Had they chosen to raise their weapon or not comply they would have realised I wasn't alone very fast

If someone approaches you and calls out and could have clearly shot you, don't try anything...... Because it could be us

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior