DayzForumer

Stay away from the shotgun(s), here is why.

A thought occurs to me:

Is it possible those 4-5 are referring to individual pellets? That would make sense to me. If that's so, then a single solid hit could take down an unarmoured target.

I haven't used any shotguns yet, nor have I been on the receiving end of one, so I don't know how it pans out in game.

If you have a mosin, then you use a pistol when you get into cqc. The magnum and the FNX45 are vastly superior to the shotgun. Again, the only reason to use the shotgun (or the sawed off shotgun) is because you have nothing else.

0KL5Jbw.png

2 shots.

4-5 shots to kill someone.

Rate of Fire is slow.

You have to reload 2-3 times, and you have to be in close quarters to actually be able to get all of shots to hit their body, you can't spray and pray because of the rate of fire, which results in the shotgun being slow, unreliable, close quarter and it doesn't even do that much damage. What is it shooting, blanks? Stick with the m4 for now, and switch to the SKS when it comes out.

/endrant

Maybe people tested it, but it doesn't seem right. Why?

I just saw a video where a guy shot people dead with one (NOT sawn off) at a distance of 10m max. Insta kills in row. Maybe lucky ones, maybe certain ammo, but still.

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one in close range, really.

i don't care is the shot gun/sawed off are not that good (yet to really try it out). What is important is it Bad-ass coolness :P Finally i have a primary gun i feel willing to carry :)

If you have a mosin, then you use a pistol when you get into cqc. The magnum and the FNX45 are vastly superior to the shotgun. Again, the only reason to use the shotgun (or the sawed off shotgun) is because you have nothing else.

this is not exactly true. at 50m, the fnx has a good bit of dispersion when aimed. the magnum somewhat less so (or at least before speedloader was introduced) Though both have fast enough refire to spray, its unlikely that more than a shot or two will hit a fast-moving target. The shotgun's advantage is in being able to fire with similar accuracy (lower in fact, but you're firing buckshot) on the move. Firing either magnum or fnx from the hip will almost certainly miss, just about always.

If there are situations where you need to frequently take cover and move around while being able to return some kind of fire at close range (assuming you're not pinned down by an M4 user..), sawed-off shotgun is a pretty valid option.  One thing to get used to is the aim, and also the 10 slots it takes up may render it less of a viable choice to many people. Personally, i hope some kind of a chest/hip holster for a sawed-off is eventually doable.

PS: if anyone would like to meet up with me for some in-game testing, i'd happily oblige.

Edited by yessaul robinovich

A thought occurs to me:

Is it possible those 4-5 are referring to individual pellets? That would make sense to me. If that's so, then a single solid hit could take down an unarmoured target.

I haven't used any shotguns yet, nor have I been on the receiving end of one, so I don't know how it pans out in game.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. I think it's 4-5 pellets to kill a guy. Doesn't the shell house like 7-11 pellets? And with the spread it would make sense. Kill them from close up to hit with all or most pellets.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone

yesterday i shot someone with a sawed-off and it took 1 round to kill them, it was in very very close quarters and i am pretty sure it wasn't a head shot

Edited by Timecharge

ugh no civ weapons you say only military gear and weapons you want you say. i think i vomited cause this game is doomed not by the developers but by the community we are all just a bunch of douche bags. welcome to dayz the new team deathmatch game with one map where its sniper rifle on a hill for 3 hours and if thats not your cup of piss then its the serverhopper/ghosting m4 guy. so many classy characters my favorite being the scumbag kos'er. there was a guy that suggested a nuke i like that idea more and more. because the way the community is right now i would push the button and launch every damn last warhead i could.burning corpses couldn't smell sweeter.

I carelessly sprinted into a trainstation the other night and came across 3 guys all armed with shotguns. I got nailed almost pointblank by at least 2 of them. I was hurt but not even bleeding. I managed to pull out my m4 and mow them all down and I just got some scratches and ruined my green hoodie and my ttsko pants. Shotguns suck (for now).

As for damage... Isn't each pellet equivalent to being shot by a 9mm round? Being hit by a few at a time should be devastating.

Yes...

shot_sizes.jpg

0KL5Jbw.png

2 shots.

4-5 shots to kill someone.

Rate of Fire is slow.

You have to reload 2-3 times, and you have to be in close quarters to actually be able to get all of shots to hit their body, you can't spray and pray because of the rate of fire, which results in the shotgun being slow, unreliable, close quarter and it doesn't even do that much damage. What is it shooting, blanks? Stick with the m4 for now, and switch to the SKS when it comes out.

/endrant

I'd like to see someone take 3 shotgun blasts to the body without dying.

I hit someone from 30m away with both barrels at the same time. Hella dead. Not sure what else you need from a shotgun...

am i the only one who thinks if you get shot 3 times, by any bullet, in CoM you should die?

Edit: The range on shotguns in this game seems way more realistic than say CoD.

I found a player earlier attempting to rob me, and he clearly didn't see the sawed off on my back. One shot, from the sawed off, killed him at a range I thought 2 shots would just scare him away at.

Edited by crimsonBZD
  • Like 1

am i the only one who thinks if you get shot 3 times, by any bullet, in CoM you should die?

It really depends on if and what organs were hit, etc. Survive 3 rounds, possible, be running around like no big deal, not fucking likely.

Also, beans for the sig.  :beans:

Edited by SpartanxApathy

Exactly what I was thinking as well. I think it's 4-5 pellets to kill a guy. Doesn't the shell house like 7-11 pellets? And with the spread it would make sense. Kill them from close up to hit with all or most pellets.

They aren't "pellets." they are buckshot.. pretty big. They haven't added pellets (ie birdshot) in the game yet. honestly 1 buckshot (out of 8) is going to send you on the ground helpless (so basically dead) , just not instantly. You aren't going to be running around and certainly not defending yourself.

I'd like to see someone take 3 shotgun blasts to the body without dying.

I'd like to see someone take 1 shotgun blast without dying when there are no ERs left.

It really depends on if and what organs were hit, etc. Survive 3 rounds, possible, be running around like no big deal, not fucking likely.

Also, beans for the sig.  :beans:

yes, thank you. i was listening and realized i didn't have a sig and realized it kinda applies to DayZ in general.

But, in the interest a providing the most realistic experience in a simulator, you can reason that even though a person could survive 3 rounds in the chest, he really wouldn't be sprinting like a bat outta hell.

That leads me to an idea for the final product (assuming the weapon economy they were talking about makes weapons rare enough)

get shot, hobble (some sort of reduced movement speed) until you use a pair of pliers to remove the bullet, bandage, and heal/take painkillers

that might be a little too hardcore for this community though

That leads me to an idea for the final product (assuming the weapon economy they were talking about makes weapons rare enough)

get shot, hobble (some sort of reduced movement speed) until you use a pair of pliers to remove the bullet, bandage, and heal/take painkillers

that might be a little too hardcore for this community though

My assumption/interpretation of shit Rocket has said leads me to believe it will be similar to that, maybe not removing bullets, but he has said they are working on "wounded" animations. Would be nice to see some of that implemented, being a medic would be a lot more interesting then let me run to where you are and give you blood/saline.

0KL5Jbw.png

Shots to Kill: head: 1 <---

Get closer, else you're just doing it wrong!

And 'It's a f'king shotgun. What did you expect!'.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

I dislike shotguns with a passion.

good for zombies perhaps, bad for other people. most of you are sniping others from far anyway. So why should i run with a CQC gun?

Because they are the most common civilian firearms. They are devastating at close range and should be the most common weapon that spawns in game most common by far.

I got shot by a shotgun when I had not had any previous damage taken(ie, full blood/health), 1 shot, I was dead, not unconscious, dead, judging by my experience and everyone elses in this thread, the shotgun seems fine, and not underpowered.

Never trust numerical figures based on data pulled from the game files, experience something first hand before stating an opinion on it.

Complete ridiculousness if two or more shots are needed to kill a man. Anyone who's ever killed an animal with real shotgun knows that it actually rips the poor thing in two parts.. It doesnt matter if you hit them in the body or head, that shit is done by either way.

• Like 1

Wow.

They messed up the ballistics again, they gave the speedloader pellets a muzzle velocity of 260 m/s, that means it's only doing 29% of the damage it's supposed to, since they set up the pellets for ridiculous 900 m/s velocities. The 260 m/s is a copy-paste from the FNX45. Without using the 2-round speedloader the pellets should go the full, physically-impossible 900 m/s.

It's clear whoever typed those values in either [a] didn't take proper care or isn't aware of how to properly set up ammo and magazine config. I'm surprised because BIS should know this stuff by heart, they made the whole thing in the first place...

So there's your answer it would seem. Don't use the speedloaders, it appears they reduce the pellet damage by 71%.

• Like 4

It's clear whoever typed those values in either [a] didn't take proper care or isn't aware of how to properly set up ammo and magazine config. I'm surprised because BIS should know this stuff by heart, they made the whole thing in the first place...

If only BIS was actually in charge of the weapons in dayz. Maybe then we would get proper weapons.