DayzForumer

Stay away from the shotgun(s), here is why.

0KL5Jbw.png

2 shots.

4-5 shots to kill someone.

Rate of Fire is slow.

You have to reload 2-3 times, and you have to be in close quarters to actually be able to get all of shots to hit their body, you can't spray and pray because of the rate of fire, which results in the shotgun being slow, unreliable, close quarter and it doesn't even do that much damage. What is it shooting, blanks? Stick with the m4 for now, and switch to the SKS when it comes out.

/endrant

Edit: Remember, ballistic helmets and the press vest gives you an extra 2-4 shot protection...

Edited by DayzForumer
  • Like 3

I dislike shotguns with a passion.

good for zombies perhaps, bad for other people. most of you are sniping others from far anyway. So why should i run with a CQC gun?

Yea F all these civilian weapons that i can't use to get my 700 meter headshot snipe.

We need more of dem MILITARY GRADE weapons for all us militarized zombie apocalypse survivors.

No civis 'round here boy.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's just the way shotguns are - except for the shots required to kill a person maybe. For zombies it's pretty decent close range though. 

I'll never prefer a shotty above a Mosin or M4 but it's not like I didn't expect that to happen when they came out. It's just a filler weapon I carry untill I can get my hands on a better one. It is more common though and that seems fitting for a lesser dangerous firearm.

And yes, the green rounds should be single bullets with probably a lot of damage and way better accuracy, haven't found any since the patch yet though.

Edited by Problematic

I highly doubt that the weapons are intended the way they are at the moment, as I don't think they wanted them to be so massively underpowered.

In my oppinion every single gun in game needs adjustment, but this won't happen for a while, as there's no (dev-)time for that.

I've found several green rounds so they are in the item pool, but they might be rare. 

Yeah green ammo is definitely more rare. I haven't found any yet since the update. Seems like maybe the shotgun should have a higher knockout rate or something if it's going to be so weak lol At least then it might be some sort of nonleathal ranged weapon (or they could just give us those bean bag guns that police use)

Whatever to you naysayers. I love the shotty and i've already killed 2 turds with mosins, and another guy with an M4 with pellet rounds. Just shoot in the head and you are fine.

Sawed off is good for shorter range with wider spread. killed 2 guys (1 with 1 shot and the other with 2) with that as well.

Buckshot at  pretty much up to 100 meters should be a one hit kill to this chest. Slug definitely 1 hit kill. Has anyone ever shot buckshot? You get hit by just 1 of those things and you're going down i promise.. but if more hits you're definitely gunna be dead.

I don't think the shotgun is THAT underpowered, it may need some tweaking but I don't feel it should be par to the Mosin / M4. I would never choose a Shotgun over one of those guns if this were to happen in real life aswell so I figure it's quite nicely balanced. 

And I can imagine the buck shots being a bitch to receive from a reasonable distance.

I don't think the shotgun is THAT underpowered, it may need some tweaking but I don't feel it should be par to the Mosin / M4. I would never choose a Shotgun over one of those guns if this were to happen in real life aswell so I figure it's quite nicely balanced. 

And I can imagine the buck shots being a bitch to receive from a reasonable distance.

The damage should be on par. We're talking about human flesh, not steel. A 5.56mm shot to the same area one buckshot (or slug) will do roughly the same damage. If it hits your chest (ie lungs, heart, etc) you're dead. If it hits you're arm, not dead but in a lot of pain. 4-5 shots is crazy to take to the chest. I think my biggest problem is assuming that just 1 out of the 8 buckshot hits (even then if it's to the chest you're dead) because the dispersion really isn't that big. At less that like 20 feet it's about the size of a softball-soccer ball. 

Yeah, that's just the way shotguns are - except for the shots required to kill a person maybe. For zombies it's pretty decent close range though. 

I'll never prefer a shotty above a Mosin or M4 but it's not like I didn't expect that to happen when they came out. It's just a filler weapon I carry untill I can get my hands on a better one. It is more common though and that seems fitting for a lesser dangerous firearm.

And yes, the green rounds should be single bullets with probably a lot of damage and way better accuracy, haven't found any since the patch yet though.

• Like 8

Yea F all these civilian weapons that i can't use to get my 700 meter headshot snipe.

We need more of dem MILITARY GRADE weapons for all us militarized zombie apocalypse survivors.

No civis 'round here boy.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

OP has something of a point. Having to reload up to three times, without ever missing, to kill an in armoured target, makes buckshot next to useless. Sure, there are headshots, but with how close you have to get, any other gun could pull that off.

Anyone have the numbers for slugs?

• Like 1

not bad showing distance. Check this one out on meat

Also realize the shots that didn't break stuff were BIRDshot.. not buckshot like in the game.

Edited by Mao Zedong
  • Like 4

The shotgun is only useful if you have nothing else.

Wrong.*oh, and right * Its a backup weapon if you get cornered. We all carry one with several speedloaders as a last resort.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

As for damage... Isn't each pellet equivalent to being shot by a 9mm round? Being hit by a few at a time should be devastating.

No you don't. You can carry one pistol, and one long gun. If you have anything better (mosin, m4) then you carry those. Only a fool, someone looking for a challenge, or someone who spends all of their time in a cqc environment would bother with a shotgun as a primary.

Shotty should be max 3 shots to the body. regardless of the ammo used.

We did some testing inland and the range of the stock version is rather good.

I say find some and keep a saw handy for the moment you find something more versatile and then saw it off and store it for the moment it might save you. ( or the oportunity to trade for orange raincoats, ofc  )

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

say you have a mosin, miss the head, hit the body, switch to a shotty and finish the job. its a great backup weap.

the sawed-off variant of the shotgun has an application different from a pistol in a 50m/close quarters setting that nothing else in the game seems to. It allows you to have a weapon that you can fire from the hip while moving without losing accuracy, which is to say that some of the pellets will definitely hit the target and bleed them. Further, pellets hitting the head will severely injure and potentially kill the target immediately, without need for precise head-aiming. This is not meant to be used as a primary weapon, but pretty accurate for guarding a doorway or a staircase, and also for reliably hitting a fleeing person to make them bleed and slow them down.

I do think that the damage model/muzzle velocity needs to be revised, which goes for all weapons currently in the game as they are placeholders. But just wanted to respond to the original argument. You can move quite fast with the sawed-off while firing and reloading without losing speed and having the most close-quarters accuracy with any weapon in the game (broad pellet spread with 00, not tested slugs..)

has anyone done testing with slugs yet?

cheers

-Y

No you don't. You can carry one pistol, and one long gun. If you have anything better (mosin, m4) then you carry those. Only a fool, someone looking for a challenge, or someone who spends all of their time in a cqc environment would bother with a shotgun as a primary.

not with how weak and worthless they are, the fireaxe is a better cqc weapon.