Grimey Rick

I'm now killing on sight.

I've been trying to have fun with the "hold 'em up, rob 'em, and let 'em go" mentality of this game, but as of late, I've been screwed one too many times. Last night, I joined a group of "bandit hunters" only to be led into a trap of two snipers on a building. I figured out it was a trap when my "friends" all hung back and then began to laugh. Black screen, with a dash of "You are dead."

Tonight, I gave it another go and joined up with some guys who seemed very mature initially. I played it a little more catty this time and held back, keeping the three chaps of my group in view. I was watching for any kind of twitchy movement, or obvious baiting. We were attacked by what I assume to be a "bandit" upon entering Kamyshovo; I ended up putting a .357 bullet through his chest, but not before he took down one of my allies. I attempted to resuscitate the fallen friend, and as I was digging through my pack to get my defibrillator from my safe box, I heard a couple of shots and my screen went black, which was followed by the mocking laughter and baiting of the aforementioned "mature players".

Anyway, I'm getting really sick of this type of behaviour. I would rather play the role of the hero, but it seems that lately I've been playing the role of the jackass. From now on, I'm killing anyone I see with a gun. I don't care at this point. I've come to realize you really can't trust anyone other than yourself and maybe a personal friend or family member playing with you.

Thanks for listening.

#bitter #angryface #rawr

• Like 11

Feeling exactly the same way. The second I get a gun, you will see no mercy from me. I've had my gear taken from me way too easily lately, and I'll be killing anybody at all who poses ANY threat what so ever, even if it's a crowbar.

Oh my dear, I found a pistol yesterday and your post a great reminder not to show it to anybody coming close to me...

My only problem is how the f#*& will I ever be able to hunt some animal for food when playing without weapons?

Are the collectable stones throwable? ^^

If you feel like not becoming part of the problem come and join the Regulators OP

You can check us out and my youtube, we hunt bandits and are friendly and can prove it from my videos

• Like 3

I would rather be killed by 10 Idiots than risk killing one nice guy. I have met many nice people by risking to trust them and I don't really want to murder anyone nice. I have traded and helped and been helped many more times than I have been murdered.

I don't care if an idiot kills me, it's not real and all of my best experiences of the game so far have been related to trusting people who didn't betray me. Don't get me wrong, I know you have to be careful and that there are a lot of griefers and noobs running around but don't give up on your humanity.

• Like 31

You're going to die a fair bit using this kind of strategy to find allies. I know because I have done it. All I can say is that it's worth the grind and potential dozens of deaths to find even one person you can trust that you can play with. It can take time, or you can get lucky, but it will be worth it in the long run - especially when bases are implemented, and you find you need help acquiring the materials you need to build and improve your buildings.

Well, I still stay away from pure KoS. Fresh spawns / unarmed players need to keep their distance, but I'd never put a bullet in their head, unless they attack me. I'm a bit more careful if they have an axe though. I study armed players from the distance, so I can judge them. If they kill fresh spawns, they're as dead as a dead guy can be. If they seem to help new people, I'll get in contact and have maybe a short chat. And if someone (accidentally) jumps in front of me with a gun in his hands, he's dead. Sorry. But one thing I never do, is to actually join some strange clan / group of players. Those people are mostly real-life friends, and they will kill you whenever they feel like it, so no, thanks. Trust me, unless you don't know a person IRL or since a long time, they'll NEVER be your so called friend.

Edited by acid574
  • Like 3

You were always a bandit Grimey Rick, you just didn't know it yet.  Blaming others for your banditry is waek.  To be a hero you need to be like a crazy evangelistic Christian type.. and always turn the other cheek and come back for me.  Pffft you take to two and turn!  Shame on you :P

(ps I'm neither hero or bandit.. I just skulk around in bushes!)

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 1

I've been trying to have fun with the "hold 'em up, rob 'em, and let 'em go" mentality of this game, but as of late, I've been screwed one too many times. Last night, I joined a group of "bandit hunters" only to be led into a trap of two snipers on a building. I figured out it was a trap when my "friends" all hung back and then began to laugh. Black screen, with a dash of "You are dead."

Tonight, I gave it another go and joined up with some guys who seemed very mature initially. I played it a little more catty this time and held back, keeping the three chaps of my group in view. I was watching for any kind of twitchy movement, or obvious baiting. We were attacked by what I assume to be a "bandit" upon entering Kamyshovo; I ended up putting a .357 bullet through his chest, but not before he took down one of my allies. I attempted to resuscitate the fallen friend, and as I was digging through my pack to get my defibrillator from my safe box, I heard a couple of shots and my screen went black, which was followed by the mocking laughter and baiting of the aforementioned "mature players".

Anyway, I'm getting really sick of this type of behaviour. I would rather play the role of the hero, but it seems that lately I've been playing the role of the jackass. From now on, I'm killing anyone I see with a gun. I don't care at this point. I've come to realize you really can't trust anyone other than yourself and maybe a personal friend or family member playing with you.

Thanks for listening.

#bitter #angryface #rawr

Okay, well...I would think you could have figured this out yourself but don't just join random groups in-game.  There are clans and group that advertise on the forums and on Steam for player groups, with Teamspeak/Mumble/etc. too.  Join one of those groups and it will be exponentially less likely that you get randomly shot by people in your group.

• Like 1

Grimey Rick, don't live up to your nickname. Why don't you try the medic squad ? If not an actual medic then an over watch for the good doctors. We have enough kos, the servers badly need more medical types :)

• Like 2

Well what I get for trying to be nice is trying to get killed.

came across 2 guys with their flashlights out in a night server, told them to come out in the road and lay flat and to state their business if they were friendly or not. One of them did, the other ran off, so i told his buddy he could finish looting the building they were in and then they had to head down the road if they didn't want me to shoot them. Told em it wasnt personal, just cant trust anyone. Lucky for me my clouds were disabled and so were my friend's, because he spotted their buddy on the roof trying to get our position so he could take a shot on us. he sat there looking around for a few minutes and I gave them one last warning to leave. Still another minute later he was still scanning the area so I took him out. His buddy DCd and left a pretty funny flashlight glitch in the grass.

I mean seriously, I don't think I can get much nicer than an attempt like that as far as complete strangers go

• Like 1

Dont become part of the Problem. Be part of the solution. Also..you trusted a fully armed Group ? really ? If they dident talk ingame after inital contact something had to be fishy.

Perhaps you are too easily led to trust people. I always remain on guard around strangers.

I sense a great evil moving in Chernogorsk...a presence I have not felt for a long time.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly
  • Like 1

Dont trust anyone who runs away, gets plenty of distance from you, runs to a set point and starts dropping all their inventory and asking not to be shot, and to be handcuffed instead. This is 99% of the time a trap and you are about to be killed my some of his buddies in hiding

oddly specific? don't ask...

Thanks for listening.

#bitter #angryface #rawr

that experience even though it ended bad sounds awesome thats quite a story. you guys that decide to KOS all the time rob yourselves of those experiences as do server hopper(yes i mentioned them again LOL).I'm not hating i'm just stating an opinion of course and by the way now that you KOS get rid of your rick picture please don't stain his image with your ways hahahahahha.

Thanks for listening.

#bitter #angryface #rawr

The greatest misdirection in this game is to think that your failure solely come down to your own bad decisions, and that taking a safer approach will save you. But most of the time the dices are stacked against you from the start.

...also some people will be natural human carpets for their entire life...

Thanks for listening.

#bitter #angryface #rawr

Yup, yesterday I was baited too, I never shot anyone without danger up until now. Green Mountain was right, kill anyone with gun, on sight...

Wow Ironically I've found the last patch to have better people in it, the struggle to find enough resources, having to actually travel, I've died from 1xmass zombie attack, 1x player, 1x falling, 3x hive not connected/random freshie.

But I do need to ask, where where you when all of this happened?

• Like 1

I know right. Thread #23141 about it.

No offense though, OP. You seem frustrated, and I can understand that to some point. But really, as loner you can only do or expect so much. Maybe you just need some more luck. If you really want a better experience, join a group. No, seriously. Do it. Or get some friends to play with you. Or keep trying.

But don't become part of the problem.

Btw, all the implications or people saying "KOS is best": Sometimes, not every time. That's a fact. I just heard a story from a guy in my group about an airfield encounter, north west. He was looting and met one guy. He tried to establish contact at least twice, saying he was friendly. The player was fully geared and immediately grabbed for his gun and backed off, ready to attack. And he fired as soon as he noted another player's presence, without responding (equals KOS, basically). A little cat and mouse game began and resulted in the other player's death. Because he was being an idiot.

He could've survived the whole encounter and didn't waste the time he put into that character by then simply by:

1) backing off, pulling out and / or

2) being friendly

Instead he got some nice lead in his ass or face for being stupid, or, in nicer terms, making the wrong decision.

Btw, being friendly or communicating with other people doesn't mean you have to f'in run at everyone with open arms out in the open. That's as stupid as shooting at everything at once. Because it's bad attention with compromised security. So, with some security measures you can manage.

I admit though, as loner (all the time) it's usually a different experience. Some could be quite paranoid.

Anyone who's sick of running around alone while trying to be somewhat nice: Join a (friendly) group!

I can name at least 5 bigger or smaller, more or less known groups. Go check them out if you want a less lethal experience. You might still die, but you won't get bitter and stuff about it and change the way you play because of a few bad apples. You can accept it, or will accept it.

On average your survival chance is higher. Means less death in theory. So go for it.

• Like 1