rocket

Servers with connection issues to central hive

Like I said there is an earlier thread stating that since there were a limited number of hardcore servers this issue was no longer an issue and has be resolved as of the 10am maintenance. which obviously it has not.

At this point in time, Im starting to think it could be a client error, in which, you should check your client cache from Steam, verify that it is completely there, and lay off the hardcore servers for a little while, maybe until the next update. Sorry if I can't provide any technical support, I'm not a dev here. :lol:

gamingdeluxe.co.uk servers have still got issues and have sent messages to server renters saying they are working with the devs to fix

Dear Dayz Team,

I recently bought this standalone because i got curious about all the stuff going on, the game, the streams, the potential, the videos and so on.

So i played the Game, and i really enjoyed it. I liked the atmosphere and the feeling that the game is setting up. And it's a lot of fun playing with friends also.

I do understand that this is an early access version, and not considered stable. You call it alpha.

For an alpha, i dont mind if

• the graphics is buggy
  • i cant turn off mouse acceleration
  • i die if i fall 2 meters
  • i can walk through a supermarkets wall because of clipping errors
  • zombies walk through walls
  • i crash some times

Because i can still play the game, and it makes up for it.

But what i totally cannot accept is the fact that in the last Week or so, i lost 4 characters. The same happened to a friend of mine.

What i am saying is: The most basic foundation of a game that you can sale is to not have players randomly loose their savegames.

This is simply inacceptable. I mean, you charge money for this. I recently used IntelliJ IDEA Early access - which is totally free by the way, but i never lost my project.

I do understand that it is complicated. You are dealing with shards and Big Data here. I'm also a Senior Software Developer myself, and i know these issues.

Nevertheless, putting a game on sale for € 20 which is basically unplayable is just unprofessional.

Why do i loose my character if i

• disconnect while having a "Bad Connection" sign?
  • switch servers?

You say that this is all the hosters fault, but i don't buy it. Maybe they have some bad configuration. But this is not an excuse that the current server architecture is allowing characters to be dropped.

Why is my character not periodically saved on the Server that i am playing, so that i don't just randomly loose it on crashing?

Why is a Server not keeping all characters states for like a week or so, and try to synchronize them as soon as they have a connection to the central?

So no characters get lost!

Where is my character? Fix the Situation!

PS: Dealing with a large legacy code base like you are doing now is a big challenge, and has some risk involved. I hope you can do it, and i wish you best of luck. Please write Tests when coding and get the basics stable. You don't appear professional to the outside world, if you can't manage that basics.

Roger, I'll pass that on to Brian and try and find out

Cool, do you need the IP's or is the location fine?

Dear Dayz Team,

I recently bought this standalone because i got curious about all the stuff going on, the game, the streams, the potential, the videos and so on.

So i played the Game, and i really enjoyed it. I liked the atmosphere and the feeling that the game is setting up. And it's a lot of fun playing with friends also.

I do understand that this is an early access version, and not considered stable. You call it alpha.

• the graphics is buggy
  • i crash some times

But what i totally cannot accept is the fact that in the last Week or so, i lost 4 characters. The same happened to a friend of mine.

What i am saying is: The most basic foundation of a game that you can sale is to not have players randomly loose their savegames.

This is simply inacceptable. I mean, you charge money for this. I recently used IntelliJ IDEA Early access - which is totally free by the way, but i never lost my project.

I do understand that it is complicated. You are dealing with shards and Big Data here. I'm also a Senior Software Developer myself, and i know these issues.

Nevertheless, putting a game on sale for € 20 which is basically unplayable is just unprofessional.

• switch servers?

You say that this is all the hosters fault, but i don't buy it. Maybe they have some bad configuration. But this is not an excuse that the current server architecture is allowing characters to be dropped.

Why is my character not periodically saved on the Server that i am playing, so that i don't just randomly loose it on crashing?

Why is a Server not keeping all characters states for like a week or so, and try to synchronize them as soon as they have a connection to the central?

PS: Dealing with a large legacy code base like you are doing now is a big challenge, and has some risk involved. I hope you can do it, and i wish you best of luck. Please write Tests when coding and get the basics stable. You don't appear professional to the outside world, if you can't manage that basics.

For one, that PS was rude and unacceptable, these fine devs are doing everything they can to get this game running and stable, AND, if you read the main description on Steam, the game is in ALPHA, not BETA, so everything will be barebone structure, losing your character should even be regular NECESSITY at this point. Why I say this is because, not only is everyone treating this like some kind of Open Beta, or Full Blown Game, but your also missing the point. You always see games like War Thunder and World of Tanks on the market, when these games switched from Alpha to Beta, EVERYTHING was wiped, EVERY account was completely wiped, you even had to re-register! Losing a character is also like dying, it resets you so you can do the challenge of survival again. Act as if it's part of the game dude, and don't think this is some Global Beta or anything, this game is still being constructed as we play, compared to the DayZ Mod main structure, this is dirt, it doesn't have vehicles or anything, but then again, this is Alpha, once everything is completed, DayZ Mod will be dirt and DayZ SA will be King. B)

• Like 4

Oh, and I think I was the only one saying it's the Hoster's fault. :lol:

Dear Dayz Team,

• the graphics is buggy
  • i crash some times

• switch servers?

We'll worded, but bullshit.

This reminds me of the earlier days of the mod.

It is perfectly acceptable to lose a character or lose your character every day. It will happen.

I've been killed by doors, rocks, trees, ladders (oh God, the ladders). I've been unexpectedly killed by all of these things while fully geared and while not. If you cannot live with that without sanctimonious spewing, then you might just want to check out for a while and give the early accessing a rest.

• Like 2

From what I understand, and I might be vastly oversimplifying the issue here, is that big problem related to the complex way the database (which is a cluster) is load-balanced, authorized, and then communicated with different servers. Our central server conducts loadbalancing to ensure it can handle thousands of requests a second. It also checks to see if it is dealing with an authorized server. Every maintenance we further improve this.

The main issue that remained until very recently related to providers who have very large numbers of IP's. All the IP ranges needed to be whitelisted, as DayZ server doesn't have the ability to be bound to a specific IP directly (it requires it's box to do that for it). Outside of the USA, IP's can be quite hard to come by and so most aren't used to having a great deal around. Thanks to a very tough effort involving the central server hosters, the game server providers that were having problems, and our tech staff - the problem was solved. We simply whitelisted as many of the floating IP's as were required to authorize the servers.

The issue brings up important considerations for us around how to deal with US hosters who might have a large pool of IP's, and how that affects us in terms of managing them, and in terms of our whitelisting process. Above all, it highlights just how complex the environment is that dayz is currently operating in. It's really like running a large MMO but distributed amongst a bunch of different hosters. For this reason, I certainly feel a great deal of sympathy with server hosters as it is not an easy environment to operate in. They are probably hoping that longterm they can make money but I would doubt many of them are making much money right now.

It's really great the issue was solved, and it also looks like the database maintenance that occurred today has also had a positive effect on the whole situation.

I wonder if dynamically whitelisting server instances rather than IPs might be more manageable?

i.e. Whenever a DayZ server is started, a quick conversation between the Hive and the server, provides the instance with a UUID for verification of all further conversations until its next restart. During the initialization of each instance, the Hive would be able to verify whatever it needed to, to grant or deny whitelisting (would it?  :blush: ).

Please consider this in the manner it is meant - a suggestion from an enthusiastic amature developer attempting to help not hinder :rolleyes:

As for the recent hiccup:

1) As a player who understands the barrage of warnings about the game being in ALPHA, I was still worried that my little guy might have been lost (I have yet to find out if he's okay), but wouldn't have dared sling mud if I lost him. That's the nature of Alpha after all  ;)

2) As an amature developer, sociologist and philosopher (with a passion for virtual world theory and practice, simulation, and UI), I am fascinated by this game and am looking forward to working through the kinks with you and your team, to see where this goes.

You have my beanz AND a pristine can opener!   :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :D

I didn't say it was the hosters fault, several times I have specifically said that we didn't know the exact issue, and that while it wasn't affecting most hosts, it wasn't exclusively affecting one.

From the very start of the project, we knew that character instability would affect everyone. We will plan many character wipes, we will not hesitate to reset the database. This is why the very first parts of the steam description describe this very situation, in capital letters no less.

Throughout our alpha, you will recklessly loose your character to instability, wipes, all manor of problems. Because we are actively developing the game we are not focused on individual characters status. We only want to make the future game good. Therefore, if making a change will make the future game better but erase all previous characters - then we will not hesitate to do that.

I'm very proud that through this whole process, I've done everything I can to educate uses as the state of the game and what will happen through the Alpha process. I cannot think of a single thing more I could have done to educate better as to the situation. I would recommend you take a break, read through the warnings on the steam page, and recognize that while it is a very frustrating situation - it is one that we have clearly communication would happen (and will continue to happen) constantly.

• Like 32

I didn't say it was the hosters fault, several times I have specifically said that we didn't know the exact issue, and that while it wasn't affecting most hosts, it wasn't exclusively affecting one.

From the very start of the project, we knew that character instability would affect everyone. We will plan many character wipes, we will not hesitate to reset the database. This is why the very first parts of the steam description describe this very situation, in capital letters no less.

Throughout our alpha, you will recklessly loose your character to instability, wipes, all manor of problems. Because we are actively developing the game we are not focused on individual characters status. We only want to make the future game good. Therefore, if making a change will make the future game better but erase all previous characters - then we will not hesitate to do that.

I'm very proud that through this whole process, I've done everything I can to educate uses as the state of the game and what will happen through the Alpha process. I cannot think of a single thing more I could have done to educate better as to the situation. I would recommend you take a break, read through the warnings on the steam page, and recognize that while it is a very frustrating situation - it is one that we have clearly communication would happen (and will continue to happen) constantly.

Yeah, I think he meant me, I was saying I thought it was a problem with the Hoster of the server. But yeah, I completely support you, character losses and wipes are part of development, if in order to make a change an character data is in the way, by all means wipe it :lol: , and like you said, it clearly states on the Steam page that in Alpha, everything is subject to change. :lol:

gamingdeluxe.co.uk servers have still got issues and have sent messages to server renters saying they are working with the devs to fix

I find the GamingDeluxe servers the best. I also have noticed that the on the lowered numbered servers now I have the same character spawning....

• Like 1

We'll worded, but bullshit.

This reminds me of the earlier days of the mod.

It is perfectly acceptable to lose a character or lose your character every day. It will happen.

I've been killed by doors, rocks, trees, ladders (oh God, the ladders). I've been unexpectedly killed by all of these things while fully geared and while not. If you cannot live with that without sanctimonious spewing, then you might just want to check out for a while and give the early accessing a rest.

Man you reminded me of one situation back in the day . Some scripter , gave me an infinite knockout , ported me ont top of a building on public hives  , no way to kill me just stuck there . So i had to server hop until another scripter nuked the server .  Awww the good ol days.

• Like 2

As far as I understand (I might be wrong tho) the broken or wrongly set connections with hosters cause overwriting of existing characters. When server can't reach the main hive character it just creates a new one and overwrites the old one. It was also happening before, it's just all the time now due to patch.

So my question is; is it possible to warn player when logging in, that the server is incapable of accessing the main hive and the old character will be overwritten if proceed. So player can just "accept" or "cancel".

I understand that wipes will be every now and then but at least this way we can reduce random wipes. Is it possible?

Man you reminded me of one situation back in the day . Some scripter , gave me an infinite knockout , ported me ont top of a building on public hives  , no way to kill me just stuck there . So i had to server hop until another scripter nuked the server .  Awww the good ol days.

Great story, lol, Beans for the Yoda picture! :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

• Like 1

This seems to be fixed... joined a few servers today and my character was always there

As far as I understand (I might be wrong tho) the broken or wrongly set connections with hosters cause overwriting of existing characters. When server can't reach the main hive character it just creates a new one and overwrites the old one. It was also happening before, it's just all the time now due to patch.

So my question is; is it possible to warn player when logging in, that the server is incapable of accessing the main hive and the old character will be overwritten if proceed. So player can just "accept" or "cancel".

I understand that wipes will be every now and then but at least this way we can reduce random wipes. Is it possible?

There is a very small chance of the Main Hive being the problem. Plus, doing a script like that while mid connection could allow for hackers to access the code or index of the Main Hive or server and potentially change the server/client files, essentially making a hack-in-production. It was a good idea though.  :)

This seems to be fixed... joined a few servers today and my character was always there

Yeah, character wipe doesn't seem to be with 100% of the survivor population. I've only had 2 wipes since I bought the game when it came out, I barely had anything during those wipes, so I wasn't in any way affected.

word! :P

Server acting up :( Adding to list. Set to Regular Mode but acting like a buggy Hardcore mode. 

Transcendere Gaming [tG]- Public Regular IP- 173.199.93.102:2302

I would just like to say I lost my character when server restarted.

But

Thank you devs and server hosts for providing a great alpha to test and improve along with you guys I really enjoy this experience.

Thank You.

BL1P.

No sarcasm !

Edited by BL1P

Is there a way to tell or at least a list of Working "Syncing" Servers?
Really hate joining a server & not knowing if my efforts are going to be saved.  :(

Not only that, but the character whipes are very rare i must say.

the first database wipe you announced even didnt erase my character at the time!!!

I have been gaming for longer than some of these guys have been alive.  I played Ultima Online in its infancy, and was happy to play a game where I may take 1 step every 30 seconds, and then lag back after 3 or 4.  The servers went down at around 3am and reset to midnight's status, so 3 hours of work was lost.  And that was a released game.  This early access alpha is worth every cent, and you really have no reason to defend yourself, as you do it up front before you go against the creator's (YOUR) recommendation and buy it.

Thank you for the transparency.  It really does make up for any frustration from taking alpha too seriously.  It shows us you respect us as a player base, and we can look forward to open honest answers.  

I'm not a FanBoi.  I will call you out when it's GA if there is something silly going on.  So all the "fanboi haters" can just keep it to themselves, I won't respond.  I recommend anyone complaining just stop playing and come back later.  And by all means, please re-read what you agree to every time you load the game.

Now...it's time to go eat some beans.  I F'n love beans.

Edited by Sambora
  • Like 3

A person that goes by "=P= :Moosen:" told me they've been unable to post here and asked me to share the IP for his broken server.

173.199.81.111:2302

Originally had character rolled back post-patch, had character wipe this morning and after noon server reset, character was wiped once more. IP for server is 108.61.104.11.

Thanks for the support and hard work.

Cheers.