Sign in to follow this  
crazyandlazy

10 minute is not enough to loot dead bodies you put down

Yeap 10 minutes is not enough. Many times after a kill id wait and scout around for 5-10 minutes before i approach the corpse to check if he had buddies or if there are other players in the vicinity that pose a potential threat. Finding corpses is also a great part of the game. You can never know if  the killer is still in the vicinity or if theres a sniper camping the corpse so you always have to take your time and scout around. With only 10 minutes people would have to either rush to the corpse and risk dying or leave it and miss out on loot.

Best solution for this if it was implemented for performance is what someone suggested above - servers can hold a certain number of corpses and each time that number is reached the oldest corpse goes into a 10 minute cooldown before it disappears. 

Player corpses are a really big part of gameplay so i hope that this is just temporary.

• Like 1

10 minutes is plenty. 95% of the time you're right next to the one you would have to put down anyway and then you would have to get out there as quickly as possible anyway.

Lingering longer than 10 minutes in one general area is generally not advised and I wouldn't do it - what would you get out of staying longer than that?

And if you're not sure if an area is secure or not so it would take you longer than 10 minutes you shuoldn't stay that long anyway from a survival point of view, as that will most likely only get you killed anyway. If you're not bloodthirsty there's hardly a reason to stay in an area you know plenty of hostiles are in.

Not its not plenty and what would you know about it? Lets hear how new you are to DayZ. Ever play the mod? Run a server?

I started on the mod late 2012 and ran two servers not long after. Learned how to script, storyline based server with plenty of mods (no self blood bag bullcrap, no 500+ vehicles, no lift, etc). I strictly used Sarge AI and initially had the despawn timer set to 5 minutes.

Seasoned players killing Sarge AI in Cherno found it nearly impossible to get to the body safely in 5 minutes. I didn't have many AI in Cherno, but they never knew that as they were just being cautious. I'm not talking about 1-2 players, we were populated 25-30 every night and had dozens of complaints. I changed the timer to 15 (or was it 20?) and worked out peachy. Mind you, I'm talking about players in Cherno, killing AI in Cherno and 5 minutes not being enough. Based on that alone, how can anyone be expected to get to his gear in 10 minutes is ludicrous. Possibility of a restart was less as well as commonplace was 12 hours, not 4.

If the debs don't want you getting to your gear, despawn should be immediate. If they want people having a chance to get to their gear they need to extend the timer if they want people playing the new areas of the map.

The ramifications of a 10 minute despawn timer is never ending cluster funk on the coast. I could have sworn I read that debs want to get people all over the map and away from the coast. If you die anywhere in the NW you can kiss your gear goodbye. You need a perfect route on a flat land run, unmolested, to make that distance in 10 minutes.

People are going to stay away from area's that can't make it back to in 10 minutes. Doesn't take a rocket science to figure that one out.

Edited by Bennet

Get ready for the death match on the coast, no one who values their gear is going to stray far from the coast if there's no chance of recovering their body.

• Like 1

I don't understand why bodies need to disappear, most times they've been fully looted anyway.

Because there is a limit of alive and dead bodies any server can handle before its bogged down to a crawl. According to Sarge and the opendayz community, the mod allowed 144. Once you got to 100 (I tested it) players couldn't do things like bandage themselves or pick gear up.

I don't know what the parameters are for SA, but there is your answer.

Because servers don´t restart in the future.

I bet anyway that the "10 min" is a placeholder.

No server restarts? Really?

10 minutes isn't enough time.

This is a game of opportunism, and if you don't need something the first time, maybe you'll need it on the way back.   How bout our man Dean and that dead Bangladeshi he found on Everest? Maybe he didn't need his carabiners when he first ascended past the corpse, but whats to say he doesn't want one or two on the way back? Did the body disappear? A body with loot remains valuable to someone until every piece is picked.  The bodies should remain until the server resets.

If a hard count is necessary for some other reason, then I still think 10 minutes isn't enough.  If it takes you more than 10 minutes to kill a group of bandits, the first kill might be gone before you can circle back after taking out his back-up.  Especially if the fight is at long range, like a sniper in a tower (where there's step to climb and rooms to search.

Why should that even be a factor? Why should anyone have to think about a timer before bodies dissapear? 

Because even with the current 40-player limit and (admittedly too short) 10-minute corpse cleanup, the game can't handle more than a handful of zombies spread all across the map. And those zombies can't have any AI, they simply run straight at you, ignoring terrain, walls and everything else. Imagine how quickly a server would bog down if they corpses weren't removed... 

I think running back to "your" own corpse to recover "your" loot is ridiculous. Death should carry the ultimate consequences.

10 minutes is not enough. especially in situations when there are groups of people involved - you cannot loot the corpse, you are busy fighting and then it is too late

@@Beasleyyyyy

@rocket2guns okay thanks, do you not think its a bit quick? sometimes firefights could last longer than that. Meaning possibly no reward?

@@rocket2guns

@Beasleyyyyy temporary solution pending further performance fixes

That's all i need to know.

Temporary solution.

Edited by jd85

Because even with the current 40-player limit and (admittedly too short) 10-minute corpse cleanup, the game can't handle more than a handful of zombies spread all across the map. And those zombies can't have any AI, they simply run straight at you, ignoring terrain, walls and everything else. Imagine how quickly a server would bog down if they corpses weren't removed... 

#ArmaProbs

Honestly, I think it is a performance issue with the new spawn suicide towers.

There be a lot of bodies there, sometings.

I have to agree, 10mins is going to cause problems for those that play in groups.

Perhaps thats why its being implemented as 10mins, to make it more brutal, force people apart? Also it could be that its there to make death have more of an impact, so you can't just shrug off your death and go back & loot your body.

Edited by mrzee

I dislike the 10 minute timer as well. I had firefights in groups that lasted longer than half an hour, the one occasion I especially think of right now, there wasn't a clear winner as both faction retreated. We looted approximately half an hour after the last shot. Just to make sure we were safe.

I'd much more prefer a solution to discourage suicide, I guess most of the corpses exists due to this.

I also dislike it as a solution to disallow you to collect your gear, there are far too many occasions were you are killed by bugs (ladders, glitching, etc) and it just helps you to collect your stuff. I don't consider it realistic to loot "your" own body, but it sure helps alpha testing and eases the pain of getting bug-killed.

As this is just a temporary solution, I can live with it. I think it will be pretty annoying, but as I often play in a group I guess we will now try to loot corpses before they despawn and simply drop loot on the ground. Didn't say anything about loot despawning in the patchnotes.

This 10 minute thing is probably just for testing.

I sure as shit hope so because this is BS.

Corpses need to stay, the jig is up guys

the 10 minute limit is there to keep the engine running smoothly

My prediction is that they won't even deliver the 100 or 150 people server and as time pasess on they will cancel more and more features with the same argument

I sure hope I'm wrong

The devs or mods basically said something about 10 minutes being a placeholder or test, BUT also that a certain short time is intended to prevent running back to corpses to regear.

It's highly likely that the timer will get longer in the future once stability is less of an issue. In my opinion a corpse does not have to stay hours, especially in big servers people will eventually play on. But anything between 30 to 60 minutes seems acceptable to me. If possible, even more. The more the merrier.

If you die to players you usually can't get back to regear anyway. Most of the time your body will be looted a bit or completely. If you're in a group for now and want to preserve gear (because a corpse realistically doesn't vanish in 10 minutes), just DROP THE GEAR on the ground. In short: Strip corpse, circumvent timer.

Not viable for all, but then again it's a simple fix for groups.

Edited by Combine

People go in groups and before looting, it takes a lot of patience to clear any other threats. If it's only 10 mins then we won't be able to loot after the long cat and mouse game. 

What do you guys think?

I understand what you're saying, when I'm sniping and I get a kill I don't go for the loot for at least 10 minutes. That's just my strategy, I fully understand why its set at ten minutes now, its because if you can find your old body and loot it then its not truly perma-death.