Zedicologist

10 min body despawn?

So is 10 min too short of a time for this?  With a 10 min body despawn, this means there is hardly any chance of you actually recovering your body.  I welcome this change, considering it will make the game harder.  Cause as of right now, if one of our squad members die during a gunfight, we just set up a perimeter around the area and wait for him to return to loot his body.  Instantly geared up again.  

You're still going to be able to pick up their essential items they will need but atleast you wont be able to get all of it.  Although this change is going to suck lol i think its for the best.   Im loving the new things coming to the game in the next patch!!!!  

Sawed-off shotty FTW.

• Like 4

I am sure 10 minutes is just a starting point.  From there they can decide if it needs to be longer, shorter or if it's just right.  I do think it's a bit short though, as I would like to be able to see a dead body of a player as I'm walking into a town to know shit went down.

Although I do agree with your point.  The whole "SECURE A PERIMETER" thing is pretty lame and takes a lot of the risk / reward / loss elements away.

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 4

I don't know if I like this idea. Oh well, we will see how it goes, as stated above though, I imagine that this is just a starting point and that they are just moving slow as they should making sure each change is for the better and not just twitch patching....*cough cough BF4 cough cough*

Yeah, it seems more legit not being able to run back to your body but I feel 10minutes is just to short.  It takes me at least 10minutes after a fight and scouting the area before I feel comfortable approaching the body to loot  it.  This isn't counting fighting any of his buddies I may find in this time frame.

• Like 1

Hi.

I wouldn't expect the timer to be raised, since the whole point of it is to stop you from recovering your gear.

It also adds a higher level of risk for bandits looting their prey, which I really like. Maybe it should be reduced more.

Regards.

I would rather see a mechanic that deletes your own dead body when you get within 50m of it.

10 minutes is short enough that someone would feel rushed to get their loot in some situations. Also, the fact that you never really know when someone has died, so you might spend 10 minutes cautiously approaching only to see his body disappear.

But, it's good they're addressing the run back to your corpse issue.

• Like 4

Hicks commented on the subject and specifically said.

That if you die, you shouldn't be able to get your old gear.

Quote from the developer regarding the 10min death de-spawn timer

You're not supposed to. You've died - supporting that kind of metagaming negates the impact of permadeath. If you manage to get your gear, consider yourself VERY lucky.

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 1

In game right now: Buddy dies. Make a perimeter and guard the gear until they return. Maybe grab the important scope off their body.

In next patch: Buddy dies. Make a perimeter, take gear off body, and guard gear until they return. Maybe grab the important scope off their body.

Oh yeah this patch is REALLY game changing. All this hurts is squad vs squad play, you wont have enough time to loot bodies before they start disappearing, or risk showing your location. For Rocket being a guy who wants extreme realism in the game, this is a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by SubSt8

Considering the number of people who hang at the coast, 10 minutes is a shit ton of time to get back to your body.

I'm hoping they decide to go with what's best for server performance and not what players would want. 

There are more game breaking issues I feel they should be dilligently working on rather than adding guns and worrying about bodies despawning. For instance, issues that have plaqued BI since before the mod that are happening in the standalone.

Also, hurts only squads? How? You can grab your friends important stuff and put it on the ground. This only hurts the lone player who MIGHT not have been looted by time he gets back to his body.

I would rather see a mechanic that deletes your own dead body when you get within 50m of it.

10 minutes is short enough that someone would feel rushed to get their loot in some situations. Also, the fact that you never really know when someone has died, so you might spend 10 minutes cautiously approaching only to see his body disappear.

But, it's good they're addressing the run back to your corpse issue.

Easily exploited though.

Friend removes gear from previous body.

Gear up from where your friend dropped the gear too.

So is 10 min too short of a time for this?  With a 10 min body despawn, this means there is hardly any chance of you actually recovering your body.  I welcome this change, considering it will make the game harder.  Cause as of right now, if one of our squad members die during a gunfight, we just set up a perimeter around the area and wait for him to return to loot his body.  Instantly geared up again.  

You're still going to be able to pick up their essential items they will need but atleast you wont be able to get all of it.  Although this change is going to suck lol i think its for the best.   Im loving the new things coming to the game in the next patch!!!!  

Sawed-off shotty FTW.

10 minutes is plenty long enough to have a body and inventory to have to be remembered by the server. This is only a consession for the killer of the player, not the killee. Same as the Combat Logger log off time-out, these are being put in to stop the incessant whining from the PvP wonks.

It was never intended that you'd be able to simply sprint back to your body and regear for free. But as others have noted, the inclusion of persistant tents (i.e. global inventory) seems to be almost the same thing via a different mechanism.

I like the ten minute despawn, plays right into the perma-death concept.

Long enough to loot a kill, short enough to discourage corpse-runs.

• Like 1

It's a fucking terrible idea....

We already got to see this crap in action 2 weeks ago with body's vanishing in 10mins. All it did was make it so if you kill someone you ONLY HAVE 10MINS to loot it. Which is utter bullshit. What if like what happend to us when there are more than one player...

You just killed one guy in a group of 3 now you have to blow tactics and etc out the window to bum rush a body. My group has waited over an hour to loot a body during a 6+v6+ fire fight.

No one truly takes the time to think what this shit does to the hard core players. To many people just go "Ah, yeah fixs people running back to bodys after I killed them". Well you can bury bodys. As for being able to go back to your old body? Who gives a shit you are a NEW SPAWN and have to deal with getting that body back basicaly naked...

Dont fix whats not broken in the first place.

At least give us an hour for Christ sake, please! What does it even matter when the best loot can be found near the shore!?!?!?!?!?!?

It also makes it so you can't camp a body too. Like when you shot 1 out of 2. Classic tactic to just wait for there buddy to try and loot his freshly dead buddy. Hell this fucks up allot of very basic tactics of DayZ..

I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this cheap fix of an idea!!! It only punishes legit players...

Edited by RyBo
  • Like 2

I don't like the idea of disappearing corpses, dead bodies adds so much to the ambience and scenery. They make every server and journey unique, making us wonder what happened over here, influencing our attitude, decisions, moral etc..

Let's just make them invisible or unlootable for the player that died.

• Like 6

No one truly takes the time to think what this shit does to the hard core players. 

Are you sure they didn't think about it and that influenced them to actually do it? :)

Are you sure they didn't think about it and that influenced them to actually do it? :)

Honestly not at all...Just my 2cents...

I can tell you why they did it without the BS. To help with the server load. "Of course I have to guess....."

Lets just hope in the end they bring it back to normal when things are smooth.

Edited by RyBo

Sawed-off shotty FTW.

That's the point, you're not supposed to be able to run back to your carcass, bodies have to despawn for obvious reasons, the delay is there so people have a chance to plunder your body.

• Like 1

That's the point, you're not supposed to be able to run back to your carcass, bodies have to despawn for obvious reasons, the delay is there so people have a chance to plunder your body.

How about instead of doing a cheap trick they make it so you personaly can't loot your body?

Read my above comment for reasons why...

There are a shit ton of ways to get around this starting with your buddy putting all your loot on the ground next to your body before it vanishes....

Only way to do it would be to make the loot linked too you some how. That way you can't take it from a body or ground, buddy, dead buddys corpse. But even then not being able to take it off someone after they died would be crap too. What if you two were alive for weeks? Should you not have the chance to loot it off his corpse by that point?

I don't think this has anything to do with getting your body back. Rather more with server load. I figure and hope it will be changed back...

Edited by RyBo

I don't like the idea of disappearing corpses, dead bodies adds so much to the ambience and scenery. They make every server and journey unique, making us wonder what happened over here, influencing our attitude, decisions, moral etc..

Let's just make them invisible or unlootable for the player that died.

my thoughts exactly

my thoughts exactly

Again, so many reasons not too.

Edit: missed my multiQuote. Opps

Edited by RyBo

THIS IS A TRAVESTY!  UNACCEPTABLE!

I use corpses as bait, all day, errrrrryday.

Now I have to lure another scrub into the killzone every ten minutes just to keep my traps set.

BS.

I want a refund/class action lawsuit/petition/reparations/etc!

lol

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel this engine is just a mess when it comes to performance/optimization? Do we really need to slap a short timer on player corpses so the server can handle running the game? Someone please tell me that in the future there will be further optimizations allowing the proper amount of loot, zombies, players, and corpses to all exist at the same time. I thought one of the biggest ideas of the SA was that server performance would be way better than the mods eventually? 

I don't care about gearing back up from my own corpse. What is really cool is going into an area after a big gunfight and finding multiple corpses to loot. Also dead bodies add atmosphere to an apocalyptic game that could use some more apocalyptic atmosphere. Also, if you get into a squad vs squad firefight and kill one guy early but have to forgo looting his corpse while you kill his remaining members all his loot disappears before you ever have a chance of getting to him.

WOW THEY REALLY NAILED THE ISSUE.

Here let me clue in on something: when your buddy dies, take all his stuff and put it on the ground. Body disappears, his gear stays.

• Like 1

One of the funniest things to do in this game is to get back to your body before server resets,

but lets take that out~:(

• Like 1