Zedicologist

10 min body despawn?

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, I don't like this. At all.

I like the idea of stumbling across a dead body and wondering how he/she died and if the killer is still nearby. It puts you on edge.

It takes away from the survival feel of the game when you can't see the ones who didn't survive. I don't think this is getting changed for performance reasons -- the mod worked fine with dead bodies.

The fact that we can do corpse runs and recover our gear might be lame to some, but the earth swallowing dead survivors when 10 minutes have passed is more lame IMO.

Edited by Metalunatic

I like the idea of Corpse Despawns, is 10 Mins too short/long, I am really unsure.

I agree with people wanting to maintain tactics/stealth and not rushing a fresh body to loot it, since in most cases someone close by heard the shots, and is doing the same thing and looking for loot...

But I also see the whole things meshing well with the Perma-death thing, currently getting killed is no real pain because you can just run back and grab your stuff, granted it's not all gone by the time you get back.

So yes I am for it so it helps with the PD mechanic, but I am also on the fence/against it being 10 mins, because as people said, it would blow tactic use away, because you would have to rush the area if you want that loot.

All in all I like the way the game is shaping, good stuff devs/team.

One of the funniest things to do in this game is to get back to your body before server resets,

but lets take that out~ :(

HaHa

How many times I had less than 30 minutes to run up north searching for my corpse, because some Zed 1 shot punched me off my ATV.

Or maybe the best for me was at NWAF took me till the last 2 minutes to find my ghille suited corpse in tall grass, even though I could hear the damned flies buzzing around it :lol: , as well as the firefight still raging on the other side of the buildings.

Beans to you good sir, for bringing back those memories!

Regards.

I like the idea, as i hate the spawn loot run thing (and we all do it) but would like to see bodies stay in place for atmosphere, I went to NEAF yesterday and found about 12 dead bodies.. it was awesome and had my nerves zinging.. If the "loot" is slowing down performance and they were to de-loot the body and leave it in place as a generic dead guy that would be good. You could still see what happened there but there would only be 1 entity (generic corpse) per dead person instead of 50 when they die fully looted

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel this engine is just a mess when it comes to performance/optimization? Do we really need to slap a short timer on player corpses so the server can handle running the game? Someone please tell me that in the future there will be further optimizations allowing the proper amount of loot, zombies, players, and corpses to all exist at the same time. I thought one of the biggest ideas of the SA was that server performance would be way better than the mods eventually? 

I don't care about gearing back up from my own corpse. What is really cool is going into an area after a big gunfight and finding multiple corpses to loot. Also dead bodies add atmosphere to an apocalyptic game that could use some more apocalyptic atmosphere. Also, if you get into a squad vs squad firefight and kill one guy early but have to forgo looting his corpse while you kill his remaining members all his loot disappears before you ever have a chance of getting to him.

Dude every games do garbage collection, don't tell me you never noticed? Bodies, gore, spent casings, dropped items, etc... are cleaned up, as soon as it's possible to do it discretely.

10 min is too short.

-after 30 min you hear flies

-each 30 min items get one condition down

-disappear after six hours (each hour another rotten skin)

Edited by NoCheats

Far too short. Most fights that arent 1v1 end up with someone holed up in a corner, takes much more than 10min to clear them out and watch your six.

Bad change imo.

On the one hand i agree that you should not be able to loot your own body after you died.

But on the other hand i would like to be able to loot the bodies of the people i recently killed.

And if you are playing against a decent squad, you are never going to be able to loot a body within 10 minutes of the kill.

Against 2 people, maybe.

But a squad with more than 3 players will most of the time have a sniper providing overwatch or some other backup that makes it impossible to loot before you have wiped out everyone and thats can take a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Hell, we've had fights against other groups that dragged on for almost 2 hours. 

As others have already said, i hope this is just a temporary change to reduce the load on the server and will eventually be increased.

Edited by vile.

10 minutes is damn too short.I would like to loot and see dead bodys too. Make ti 20 minutes or 30

10 minutes is way to short. A majority of combat, particularly between squads, can go on for 3 times that easily and having the bodies dissapear before a fight is over is no better than how it was before when bodies dissapeared on death. I can understand clearing up the countless spawn suicides but why not give it some constraints like any body with a weapon, backpack or container wont despawn.

Honestly, 10 minutes is shit. 

I can't see how leaving bodies + inventory would have such a drastic effect on these servers. Considering most players don't even die in a single session, and the servers hold max 40 people, there aren't a lot of bodies to hold onto anyways.   

Why not despawn in order of first killed - almost like bullet holes in games, where you shoot 100 and the first one disappears to make room for 101. 

I would rather see a mechanic that deletes your own dead body when you get within 50m of it.

10 minutes is short enough that someone would feel rushed to get their loot in some situations. Also, the fact that you never really know when someone has died, so you might spend 10 minutes cautiously approaching only to see his body disappear.

But, it's good they're addressing the run back to your corpse issue.

THIS, I was thinking this is the best way earlier. Your body dissapears to you only for a while. 

Ok for me personally i would make the 10 minute limit to getting the items off a body but after that 10 minutes i would still have the body there but as purely a visiual cue of what has gone down .

It would then just be part of the scenery no longer able to have anything removed but could still be burried . (harsh perhaps unrealistic perhaps but would make death have the effect its ment to the game is ment to be authentic in the emotions it makes.

Squad play often means you dont ever die in the true sense you dont start again you run back to your body ....

The way i mention makes death again have meaning but leaves the visual cues for people to know the shit has gone down lol ...

it needs some tweaking as this - 

A majority of combat, particularly between squads, can go on for 3 times that easily and having the bodies dissapear before a fight is over is no better than how it was before when bodies dissapeared on death. 

is a very valid point. 

Dayz combat usually means waiting for the other person to make the first move/mistake, so 10 minutes isn't really enough time to loot a guy. I think either body deletes when the players gets within a certain distance of it, or unlootable by the original player. 

that being said, it's definitely a step in the right direction, going back to your body is nerve wracking but doesn't really enforce the finality of death.  

This causes more problems than it solves. The suggestion of your body being invisible to you or despawning when you get close is good. I would also add a 1 corpse per player clause. This would mean if you just belt straight for your body, you are more likely to be shot (or later, eaten by a horde), and then you really do lose all that gear. Both systems can be exploited, but the 10 minute despawn system ruins other aspects of the game.

Also, if you do manage to return to your corpse, the current item damage system still punishes you for dying.

You guys seem to have more patient/gamey friends than I do. We pretty much live on the north side of the map, and when some-one dies we grab only their most treasured/un-ruined gear and only what our own inventory space will allow, and then we get moving. Sometimes we meet eachother half way.

Also, 10 minutes adds another artificial gamey mechanic, you know how long a body has been there. You find a dead body and you know that it has probably been there for about five minutes. You won't ever come across a massacre of two hour old corpses, retracing the action by the positions of the dead. This is one of the most compelling aspects of DayZ's emergent narrative, and I'd be really bummed to see it gone.

It's a fucking terrible idea....

We already got to see this crap in action 2 weeks ago with body's vanishing in 10mins. All it did was make it so if you kill someone you ONLY HAVE 10MINS to loot it. Which is utter bullshit. What if like what happend to us when there are more than one player...

You just killed one guy in a group of 3 now you have to blow tactics and etc out the window to bum rush a body. My group has waited over an hour to loot a body during a 6+v6+ fire fight.

No one truly takes the time to think what this shit does to the hard core players. To many people just go "Ah, yeah fixs people running back to bodys after I killed them". Well you can bury bodys. As for being able to go back to your old body? Who gives a shit you are a NEW SPAWN and have to deal with getting that body back basicaly naked...

Dont fix whats not broken in the first place.

At least give us an hour for Christ sake, please! What does it even matter when the best loot can be found near the shore!?!?!?!?!?!?

It also makes it so you can't camp a body too. Like when you shot 1 out of 2. Classic tactic to just wait for there buddy to try and loot his freshly dead buddy. Hell this fucks up allot of very basic tactics of DayZ..

I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this cheap fix of an idea!!! It only punishes legit players...

Compromise. How about a 10 minute free loot timer and then another 20 minutes for whoever got the kill shot?

I really dislike the idea of looting my own corpse. I had my first decent loadout yesterday and fell to a couple infected. Think I was hit through a wall. I re-spawned on a different server.  Fresh start is half the game for me.

I think its stupid ...the whole point of a person dieing and respawning is that they are essentially a new person and should be able to loot there previous dead body. Bodies should be there till server restart.

Also what about group fights? they can last a long time and basically you dont get the reward because the bodies dissapear by the time the fight is over.

Edited by Massicor

I think its stupid ...the whole point of a person dieing and respawning is that they are essentially a new person and should be able to loot there previous dead body. Bodies should be there till server restart.

Ok well i agree to a point here but the strange thing as you say your a new person but some how you know where a person has died with good loot( your own death) and also usually you seem to have a strangely strong bond with people you have never met ( ya know the guys in your squad)

If your going to complain on the level of realisim then you have to realise the level of metagaming denies the basic truths you have said.

I have stated i dont want a body to despawn but you shouldnt be able to get your gear back regardless of your buddies gaurding your body cuase as your a new person as you stated there not your buddies right there that dead guys buddies.

Dont remove the bodies there ar other ways to limit stop dying and gearing up of your own body which is not realistic and defeats the idea of this games death eg starting again as a new person as you yourself pointed out.......

• Like 1

Pretty... much.. you are all a little short sighted and the only reason they did this was to free a little server strain while adding some other things. Sorry.. :( A.D.D. Monkeys you all seem to be. It WILL be changed later.

Edited by Dontstealmycheese

Ok well i agree to a point here but the strange thing as you say your a new person but some how you know where a person has died with good loot( your own death) and also usually you seem to have a strangely strong bond with people you have never met ( ya know the guys in your squad)

If your going to complain on the level of realisim then you have to realise the level of metagaming denies the basic truths you have said.

I have stated i dont want a body to despawn but you shouldnt be able to get your gear back regardless of your buddies gaurding your body cuase as your a new person as you stated there not your buddies right there that dead guys buddies.

Dont remove the bodies there ar other ways to limit stop dying and gearing up of your own body which is not realistic and defeats the idea of this games death eg starting again as a new person as you yourself pointed out.......

Its just one of those things that you cant really get around ....problems that come with it being a game.

Its just one of those things that you cant really get around ....problems that come with it being a game.

There may be no perfect solution to get around it but there are ways to mostly avoid this

1 unable to loot ones own body ( can be semi side stepped by your team collecting as much of your stuff as possible and handing it to you but still more realistic

2 make body lootable only for a set amount of time be it 10 minutes 15 what ever( this may have you able to loot your own body if lucky ) after that it is merely scenery

This is just a couple ideas off the top of my head lol oh and if you say thats artifical gamey way of doing it well as you point out thats the problems of it being a game. ( everything in the game is artificially portrayed or do you think the eat drink method is based on real life??)

Pretty... much.. you are all a little short sighted and the only reason they did this was to free a little server strain while adding some other things. Sorry.. :( A.D.D. Monkeys you all seem to be. It WILL be changed later.

Well its pretty obv they done it to help performance ...but we are giving them valid reasons why they shouldn't be cutting corners to get a tiny bit of performance by removing bodies after 10 mins as it causes fucks with gameplay too much ...like i said in my other post about group fights ....it fucks the reward of getting gear after a long fight because the bodies dissapear by the time the fight ends.

Also may i add ...dead bodies are a great clue to what has happened in the area the body is ....it shows that someone may be close  ...or camping a certain area and shit. So stupid and unrealistic to have the bodies dissapear after 10 mins.

Edited by Massicor

Well did not see anyone mention it so I'll say it, Rocket said it is just temporary fix. You can read it on his twitter.

• Like 3

Well its pretty obv they done it to help performance ...but we are giving them valid reasons why they shouldn't be cutting corners to get a tiny bit of performance by removing bodies after 10 mins as it causes fucks with gameplay too much ...like i said in my other post about group fights ....it fucks the reward of getting gear after a long fight because the bodies dissapear by the time the fight ends.

Also may i add ...dead bodies are a great clue to what has happened in the area the body is ....it shows that someone may be close  ...or camping a certain area and shit. So stupid and unrealistic to have the bodies dissapear after 10 mins.

So my option 1 i made would be agreeable with you then ??? it doesnt conflict with any of you ideas you have expressed..... OR is  there another reason you want it one way ( its how i like to play etc get my buddies gaurd my body so i can gear up ) its fine if thats what you want express that do not express something as a reason not to say you cant fix it when well you can to a certain extent lol .

I am not against people wishing the game there way but be honest in your arguements is all...