rocket

Rolling Changelog: Stable Branch: 0.32.114557

We can only dream. Right now it seems to me they are still not out of the quagmire that consists of fixing broken stuff only to break something else. A lot of this "complexity" seems to be half-baked ad-hoc implementations (and are probably not meant to be anything more than prototypes of final, working systems). My guess is it's going to take a long while still before we see something substantial. The last thing you want to do with a system that is still so brittle as this engine apparently is, is to add more complexity.

At this rate the game probably won't be stable for another 2 years. Stable meaning client performance, server performance and networking.

Well that's not fair c'mon guys, of course there will be problems and sometimes lots of them at once but it's just a part of the game process. And a game as in depth as dayz definitely will have many loose ends to tie up , just because those loose ends (network and server bugs/ game glitches) aren't fixed in the order you want them to doesnt mean you gotta be negative of the outcome of this game.. ..
  • Like 1

Kind of worrying how clueless dean seems to be at playing his own game. 

Except that's not Dean playing, That's Sacriel. Deans stream shows how clueless he is at playing his own game. But maybe because he spends more time making it than playing it :)

I think they did this for a reason.. This also means someone cant kill themselves in the middle of electro, put loot on their body when they come back, and use it as a trap or other things like that. So in other words i think they just wanted to get rid of the whole body camping thing at the very least

Nope. It is purely for server performance reasons.

Edited by Irenicus

He doesn't have to hop, currently there is 80% chance of loosing your gear when joining new server, say next day or after a break. It's actually quite severe right now.  

I play alot both HC and regular hives. Also i change servers from time to time when i cant find people around in high populated areas. Never happened to me. So maybe hes hopping alot? :)

He doesn't have to hop, currently there is 80% chance of loosing your gear when joining new server, say next day or after a break. It's actually quite severe right now.  

I play alot both HC and regular hives. Also i change servers from time to time when i cant find people around in high populated areas. Never happened to me. So maybe hes hopping alot? :)

Does anybody know ANYTHING about Tents or any other things with i could hide my stuff in except the yellow boxes? Are the tents even coming back to DayZ? It was always one of the realy fun things to go gather stuff and collect them in a more or less safe place! :) Offcource someday always one lucky guy found the tent and took all he could take and destroyed the tent after that! So if you know anything about tents or any other Base sort of thread, please let me know! :)

Thanks a lot!

Permanent stuff is coming, Rocket stated this multiple times.

When? Nobody knows yet. Could be today, could be a month...or more. But as far as I understood is quite a priority.

What? We have ideas, but no securities. Maybe tents, probably backpacks, maybe stashes, maybe other buildings in later development...who knows.

Be patient :)

• Like 4

Permanent stuff is coming, Rocket stated this multiple times.

When? Nobody knows yet. Could be today, could be a month...or more. But as far as I understood is quite a priority.

What? We have ideas, but no securities. Maybe tents, probably backpacks, maybe stashes, maybe other buildings in later development...who knows.

Be patient :)

Thank you sir! Have my Beanzzzz!

As a community we could always make the "thumbs up" emote at a distance become the international DayZ sign for "Hey, i'm cool, let's trade". If the other person doesn't respond, then 'no deal'.

I think it's a good idea anyway. I have yet to see any community-made signals for anything like this in the game, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Some other games i've played  in the past with PVP, someone always seems to come up with some sort of signal for stuff using what is available to them. 

Edited by Gekkonidae

Well that's not fair c'mon guys, of course there will be problems and sometimes lots of them at once but it's just a part of the game process. And a game as in depth as dayz definitely will have many loose ends to tie up , just because those loose ends (network and server bugs/ game glitches) aren't fixed in the order you want them to doesnt mean you gotta be negative of the outcome of this game.. ..

I agree. We're in this game because it's engrosing and bloody intense. We enjoy was it is....I would say though that we don't want too many big things like vehicles. Make them rare and people will engage and fight over them! Just don't add hubcaps!

I agree. We're in this game because it's engrosing and bloody intense. We enjoy was it is....I would say though that we don't want too many big things like vehicles. Make them rare and people will engage and fight over them! Just don't add hubcaps!

Why make them so rare? there are over a billion cars on the roads now, dont make them rare, make them a regular occurrence, just make fixing them and finding the parts a bitch. Or finding fuel hard. Unless its being stored in a totally air tight container away from the sun Pertol doesn't actually have a very long shelf life, a few years at best. Hell its starts to degrade after a few months if its not stored correctly.

Cars should be common as hell. the fuel to run it and parts to fix it harder. Also make fuel consumption more realistic. If its dam hard to find Petrol make sure when you fill it to the brim is drives at least 300 odd miles before running out. 

Edited by triggy89
  • Like 5

I agree that it's progressing nicely, I disagree that it will take so short time to fix the game.

The servers are already laggy. And there's only 50 player limit. I'd like to see about 100.

There are very few zombies. No animals. No vehicles. No player made buildings. 

Imagine a server with 200 vehicles, 100 players, full zombies, animals, bunch of player bases... yeah, I think they are faaaaar away from implementing everything. I'm even skeptical about if they will pull it off. 

Sadly, this. But yeah I have faith they will figure this out. Really hoping the parallelizing core thing dramatically improves performance and frees resources. The mere fact that DayZ will be the first of its kind suggests the enormity of the project at hand. I don't think any of us are truly cognizant of how huge this is. How many things does DayZ want to be? A high-perf shooter? yes A social mmo? yes A hunting/survival sim? yes Open world pve? yes A crafting sim? yes This game is so ambitious.

I think it will be a solid year before all the major pieces are in place. Not exactly sure why Dean threw out this generalized 6 month number. He should know by now that people tend to latch onto these to time frames like gospel. And also that it took an extra year to produce alpha because of the vagaries of fate. What do I know though? Maybe he thinks it'll be 3 months and that is why he said 6 months.

I still think dedicating significant resources to a brand new map is the most efficient way to buy a large chunk of time to work on stuff while keeping the player base preoccupied. Heck, I know Chernarus better than my own region by a hundredfold and it still took me appx. 70 hours of game time to feel like I had sufficiently explored everywhere on the new map. I guess it took me about 300-500 hours to get "bored" with Chernarus the first go round in '12.

This is an extremely loose prediction but I suspect we'll all feel some genuine boredom 3-4 months in and it could potentially suck from month 4-8 while we seem to wait endlessly for bigger updates for the big stuff i.e. vehicles, base building. But if we had a brand new map to keep us all busy and distracted? A new map could also help alleviate the rise and fall of concurrent user base between updates.

The reason I'm so big on this new map thing (besides obvious awesomness) is from a business standpoint it seems like the one area one could simply throw money at a project and get good results. As I try to imagine the dev process from my place of ignorance, I can't imagine that hiring a glut of artists and programmers to work exclusively on a new map (considering the core part is there, one is simply using the existing tools used to create chernarus+) would require intensive oversight. There's nothing new to invent, just a bunch of new skins, textures and polygons, right?

There is sooo much stuff to do! Agree with that. Beside that, i am enjoying to be part of the progress.

Im pretty sure there will be more maps AFTER release and also a reworked Chernarus-Map with more details and features to explore just before official release to keep the tension up!

Really looking forward what they will fix and implemt with next patch! Think the next 2 or 3 month will bring a lot of stuff!!!

Does anybody know ANYTHING about Tents or any other things with i could hide my stuff in except the yellow boxes? Are the tents even coming back to DayZ? It was always one of the realy fun things to go gather stuff and collect them in a more or less safe place! :) Offcource someday always one lucky guy found the tent and took all he could take and destroyed the tent after that! So if you know anything about tents or any other Base sort of thread, please let me know! :)

Thanks a lot!

Start using the searchengine.

Stop add new stuff. We need camp fire and tents.

Hmmm.. so are you saying. Don't add new stuff except for camp fires and tents? Because your illogical rambling was making me stupider for a second.

• Like 4

I would still love another character slot.  Lol.  Sure, people might want to use it to exploit somehow, but there are ways of stopping that using a timer between switching characters etc.

I would still love another character slot.  Lol.  Sure, people might want to use it to exploit somehow, but there are ways of stopping that using a timer between switching characters etc.

You currently have two characters, one in the "regular" hive, and another one in the "hardcore" hive. This is awesome because I can leave my "regular" character near my friends and do whatever the hell I want with my "hardcore" character.

You currently have two characters, one in the "regular" hive, and another one in the "hardcore" hive. This is awesome because I can leave my "regular" character near my friends and do whatever the hell I want with my "hardcore" character.

Oh yea?  So connecting on a hardcore will spawn a new character different from the regular servers?  That is pretty awesome.  I wonder if they will keep it that way.

Edited by twinturbonet

six dayz since last broken fu**ing patch 0.32.114557 and still no FIX ?? i know this is Alpha but how we can test it when all new items are bad and not working??? you need ALPHA TESTERS....

Stop add new stuff. We need camp fire and tents.

The whole purpose of alpha is to add new content/features. The purpose of beta is to fix the bugs that are associated with such new features.

Fortunately we are getting both at the same time since the programmers still need something to do while new features and content are added. If anyone else wants to whine about the developers adding more content while there are still major bugs and issues with the current release, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle to be enlightened on how the software development cycle works.

And I quote: "Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete."

If you don't like being a part of the software-testing phase, I suggest playing DayZ mod, which is a lot more stable at this point in time. There are still tons of people playing it.

Cheers.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 2

I would personally love to see campfires and tents. In fact, aside from vehicles and the new AK coming out, they are the most anticipated things for me. Storage and the ability to light up the night with a fire with friends. Add a pot on a gas stove and some cans of beans going around and all is well. cannot wait for both!!

• Like 1

six dayz since last broken fu**ing patch 0.32.114557 and still no FIX ?? i know this is Alpha but how we can test it when all new items are bad and not working??? you need ALPHA TESTERS....

Weird.  I've had none of the symptoms you describe.

• Like 2

Haha I haven't seen this patch being broken either Dezind , I think it's just you :P I love this patch , I found a dude running around smashing into shelves in the hospital because his friends (friends?) put a burlap sack over his head and left him for dead lol . it's little things like that that make this game what it is , so I can't wait for barricades vehicles and base building =D